Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Junkie Disease posted:

How can it not cost more than a blueray? On the other hand there is no way this could have been a portable blueray player.

Blu-ray is great at holding large capacities, but lacks the bandwidth to be able to properly stream most types of media. It's fine for movies, but the seek/transfer time for other applications like gaming are piss poor, which is why both the bone and ps4 just straight up install the games on hard disk drives now. Yes, you're right--it costs more than discs. That said, no one (outside of developers) really know the price difference between a 8, 16, or 32 GB cart. I'm more confused as to why the hell they didn't stick it on a 16GB cart and require a smaller amount to download, splitting the storage costs with end users. It's not wild speculation that more physical storage costs more because Nintendo has always charged market plus a little extra for themselves for physical storage.

I haven't posted anything on Twitter for years and I feel like a gently caress you to WB isn't a great introduction to any friends that still happen to be following me. I used a $20 off coupon on eBay to get the game for $30 so it isn't like I can cancel my "preorder" at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gamesindustry.biz seems to have a nice article on this subject.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bloodplay it again posted:

Blu-ray is great at holding large capacities, but lacks the bandwidth to be able to properly stream most types of media. It's fine for movies, but the seek/transfer time for other applications like gaming are piss poor, which is why both the bone and ps4 just straight up install the games on hard disk drives now. Yes, you're right--it costs more than discs. That said, no one (outside of developers) really know the price difference between a 8, 16, or 32 GB cart. I'm more confused as to why the hell they didn't stick it on a 16GB cart and require a smaller amount to download, splitting the storage costs with end users. It's not wild speculation that more physical storage costs more because Nintendo has always charged market plus a little extra for themselves for physical storage.

I haven't posted anything on Twitter for years and I feel like a gently caress you to WB isn't a great introduction to any friends that still happen to be following me. I used a $20 off coupon on eBay to get the game for $30 so it isn't like I can cancel my "preorder" at this point.

I agree on all fronts. But you can kindly ask what is their deal. I asked Dunkin Donuts twitter what was their goal with the new veggie wrap. No reply but I feel I shared my confusion.

But with the switch Carts are the best option but they do need to charge something. They can't go with the games being on normal micro sd's for many reasons. I expect this cost will drop as does the price on micro sd cards.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a source for the "bigger carts cost devs more money" claims or is it wild speculation?

games that are getting a physical release cost more on the switch than other platforms, so it seems thats the most likely explanation

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It makes great points, but we don't know what if any profit nintendo is taking on manufacturing the cards.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

I agree on all fronts. But you can kindly ask what is their deal. I asked Dunkin Donuts twitter what was their goal with the new veggie wrap. No reply but I feel I shared my confusion.

The last thing I tweeted to a corporation was "Smooth move, Uhaul." They replied a thank you, but the pun went over their head.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Junkie Disease posted:

But with the switch Carts are the best option but they do need to charge something. They can't go with the games being on normal micro sd's for many reasons. I expect this cost will drop as does the price on micro sd cards.

Whether it's in a MicroSD format or soldered onto a Switch cartridge, the storage price shouldn't really vary much/all from a production standpoint. If the storage soldered to the carts is a higher speed than Class 10 specs, it might be more expensive. It all depends on the speed of the memory and the interface speeds (do the increased number of pins on carts allow the memory to be accessed faster than the number of pins in a MicroSD slot?) but I think the biggest factor missing in all of this is Nintendo's pricing on the carts. We need to know the following:

WB Games exec posted:

The difference between 8GB and 16GB is ______? 8GB.

If the value is something ridiculous, let's say less than a dollar, gently caress WB. If the value is something equally ridiculous, like $5, gently caress Nintendo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Nintendo has hosed this up in the past with DC cart requirements for production.

On the other hand WB and how they did Batman Arkham Knight PC

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Every one of the Lego X games I've played across like seven systems has regular crashing issues. It gets tiring and never gets fixed and I bet the Switch version will be the same.

At least the crashes don't hard lock the system on the new consoles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Every one of the Lego X games I've played across like seven systems has regular crashing issues. It gets tiring and never gets fixed and I bet the Switch version will be the same.

At least the crashes don't hard lock the system on the new consoles.

Also this same game had obscene load times on Wii U. I kinda want to play it but I'm not going to bother if they at least didn't fix that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean if it meant paying the premium for a cart I'd rather do that than have some weird halfassed cartridge.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

If the value is something ridiculous, let's say less than a dollar, gently caress WB. If the value is something equally ridiculous, like $5, gently caress Nintendo.

I mean, even if the difference is $5 and we should say gently caress Nintendo, in this case WB is still charging 60 loving dollars for a 4 year old game AND they loving cheaped out on the cartridge and passed the cost/burden onto the consumer. It's a bad look for WB no matter what.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

can you really blame wb? isnt nintendo in control of how poo poo comes out on their console? why would they even allow such a thing

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HyperPuma posted:

can you really blame wb?

Yes?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought flash memory was dirt cheap these days? Is WB really penny pinching over a few bucks?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

why? they saw an opportunity to make a buck and took it. what happened to the nintendo seal of quality

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

HyperPuma posted:

why? they saw an opportunity to make a buck and took it. what happened to the nintendo seal of quality

This is a low effort shitpost, even by your shitposting standards.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HyperPuma posted:

Are you really arguing that we should pity and take the side of WB Games taking the opportunity to "make a buck" by screwing consumers after charging them full retail?

Like, come on, at least bait us with something reasonable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

HyperPuma posted:

poo poo this is what my drug dealer told me.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

HyperPuma posted:

IIRC the only thing the "seal of quality" meant was that "this game will boot up if you put it into an NES," it had nothing to do with the quality of the game, other than "is playable on the console you bought it for"

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Mahoning posted:

This is a low effort shitpost, even by your shitposting standards.

i honestly dont understand. you think nintendo deserves no blame for allowing this?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

do you think wb pulled a fast one on nintendo and now theyre all like oh wow those guys... thats not consumer friendly.. ugh but our hands are tied

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Apparently they are adding coop but I'm expecting a bare bones full price port. Too bad because it's my favourite game in the series.

Even that Lego Worlds game apparently reuses the same save/load/options ui all the way from the first Lego Star Wars PS2 game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

HyperPuma posted:

i honestly dont understand.

Sad if true.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah this is just as much nintendoa fault if not more. They could say No just like how Sony and Microsoft does

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah this is just as much nintendoa fault if not more. They could say No just like how Sony and Microsoft does

Yep those two are just wonderful to developers. Lets not google that.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i have a pretty revolutionary idea that im going to post soon. it might even help you with this problem

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

can you explain how in your mind nintendo did nothing wrong

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I was thinking about rebuying Lego City Undercover since the last time I played it was when it launched for the Wii U, but this news probably is keeping me from getting it. My home internet connection is wireless through my cell provider which means that I have a monthly data limit which means that a 13GB download fucks me over unless I want to sit in a Starbucks and download poo poo (which isn't as bad with a Switch as it would be for, say, an Xbox One).

I'm certainly in the minority of people for whom this blows, but I'm not the only one. Hopefully Nintendo won't do this for games I actually give a poo poo about. It probably wouldn't stop me from buying, say, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Mario Odyssey, but I'd grumble while it was downloading.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We really need what it costs to make these carts.

That said there is 0 chance Nintendo would do this to their own games. Everything in splatoon 1 was on the disk is my understanding, just was timed for other reasons.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

On a whim I tried plugging my Anker ethernet adapter into the switch and it could see a wired connection but it failed to connect properly. Probably because that adapter has a static IP cause I use it as part of a proxy thing. I'm too lazy to undo it fully to see but if anyone has a random USB ethernet adapter give it a try.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It ain't cheap giving those carts their unique flavor.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't believe the publisher of the PC versions of Batman: Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat X would stoop so low.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 28, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Are you trying to argue that Sony and Microsoft stop developers from requiring large installs even when you're​ trying to play off a disc?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol

http://nintendotoday.com/4chan-nintendo-direct-rumor/?utm_content=buffer76273&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

maybe true? maybe not? lets find out together. i like the idea of the gamecube trigger work around but lol at anyone buying double dash.

"Nintendo Direct 4.1.2017"

yeah i'm totally sure

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Are you trying to argue that Sony and Microsoft stop developers from requiring large installs even when you're​ trying to play off a disc?

I don't have a PS4 or xbone; can you actually play 1 player games on them from discs without an internet connection? If not, holy poo poo every game ever made on them is going to be literally unplayable if you ever want to show them to your children/grandkids.

Also I agree that Nintendo should have stepped in and told WB "no loving way" and not let them release such horeshit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I don't have a PS4 or xbone; can you actually play 1 player games on them from discs without an internet connection? If not, holy poo poo every game ever made on them is going to be literally unplayable if you ever want to show them to your children/grandkids.

You can. For many games you just don't want to since the patches can be pretty essential. Everything does install to the HDD though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

You can. For many games you just don't want to since the patches can be pretty essential. Everything does install to the HDD though.

Yeah the required hard drive install isn't a big deal to me at all. My issue with downloads on carts/discs is the game no longer working when servers are inevitably shut down.

This is going to be a crazy serious issue in the future, but it's far enough into the future that most people don't really care. The only way anyone will be able to play them is piracy and that is getting less and less common (even the PS3 is virtually impossible to crack unless you have like a launch unit from 2006 that never updated).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah the required hard drive install isn't a big deal to me at all. My issue with downloads on carts/discs is the game no longer working when servers are inevitably shut down.

This is going to be a crazy serious issue in the future, but it's far enough into the future that most people don't really care. The only way anyone will be able to play them is piracy and that is getting less and less common (even the PS3 is virtually impossible to crack unless you have like a launch unit from 2006 that never updated).

On-console piracy, maybe, but the emulation scene is probably always going to be the default anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thankfully Nintendo consoles have amazing emulator support. Hell you can run BotW via WiiU emulation right now at full speed. That's nuts.

Nintendo, the superior console for emulation :frogc00l:
(Which is also an underlying reason of why they're still so popular)

• Locked thread