Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The only thing I know about console shooters is I kinda wanna play Destiny again but I can't put up with them load times

Can't wait for September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always get confused between whether Syndicate or Shadowrun was the really good Xbox 360 shooter

One of the stretch goals for the Harebrained Shadowrun RPGs was a public apology from the guy who made the Shadowrun FPS.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

One of the stretch goals for the Harebrained Shadowrun RPGs was a public apology from the guy who made the Shadowrun FPS.

I didn't know that, that's hilarious. I only backed Dragonfall and HK.

That lovely game was the definite proof that kb+m was much better for the average player than pad. It was also proof that no one wanted a Shadowrun FPS.

Phantasium posted:

Give me a grand and I'll find out.

I have given this some thought and I have decided I'd rather play games myself, but not that one because that is ridiculous.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's almost 2 am and this video made me laugh really hard so I'm gonna post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-KGRjOM08

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bloodychill posted:

That lovely game was the definite proof that kb+m was much better for the average player than pad. It was also proof that no one wanted a Shadowrun FPS.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would actually love a Shadowrun FPS but that the one they made was an extremely shallow, lazy, and lovely game which was probably the bigger strike against it than "they made a new Shadowrun game...and it's a multiplayer-only FPS for $60." Like I actually think there's a lot of potential to be had in a game that really embraces the crazy side of Shadowrun and lets you run around as 9-foot tall cyber-enhanced trolls carrying weapons intended for vehicle mounts, literal elf wizards, at least three different flavors of ninja, people with knives in their hands and as many guns as the Doom Marine...but I don't really see anyone ponying up the money to do that justice these days in a world where Overwatch exists and is basically the 800-pound moon-dwelling science gorilla of the hero shooter scene.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would actually love a Shadowrun FPS but that the one they made was an extremely shallow, lazy, and lovely game which was probably the bigger strike against it than "they made a new Shadowrun game...and it's a multiplayer-only FPS for $60." Like I actually think there's a lot of potential to be had in a game that really embraces the crazy side of Shadowrun and lets you run around as 9-foot tall cyber-enhanced trolls carrying weapons intended for vehicle mounts, literal elf wizards, at least three different flavors of ninja, people with knives in their hands and as many guns as the Doom Marine...but I don't really see anyone ponying up the money to do that justice these days in a world where Overwatch exists and is basically the 800-pound moon-dwelling science gorilla of the hero shooter scene.

I think it's the pvp multiplayer-only aspect that really put me off. If it was an FPS where you got equipment and leveled poo poo up and played through a story and/or did 4-player coop missions that played out kinda like heists and you could set your dudes up with equipment and advance them sort of like how ME multiplayer works, it could be really fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bloodychill posted:

I think it's the pvp multiplayer-only aspect that really put me off. If it was an FPS where you got equipment and leveled poo poo up and played through a story and/or did 4-player coop missions that played out kinda like heists and you could set your dudes up with equipment and advance them sort of like how ME multiplayer works, it could be really fun.

What you're describing is in some respects similar to the Syndicate FPS which actually wasn't half-bad for "let's take a franchise known for a very particular type of gameplay and turn it into an FPS." But yeah, Mass Effect multiplayer, in particular ME3 with flamethrower Vorcha and Geth Juggernauts and Krogan mosh pits, is another good go-to example for a gonzo team/co-op shooter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A game simulating the life of a letsplayer. loving finally.

quote:

Be the ultimate GAMER and become famous on U-TUBE universe. Manage your channel! Play tons of fun minigames! Destroy the 7 evil streamers to get your crush! Build an empire in your room! This is the LET'S PLAYER STORY!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man Scott Pilgrim got really lame.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The gif on the right looks neat. Everything else about that project looks pretty dumb. Now excuse me while I do my 12th playthrough of game dev story.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm really, really enjoying the resurgence in simulator / management games and I can only hope that this trend continues.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I would totally go for a game that starts off as a youtube person simulator and then takes a hard swerve 30 minutes in when you come home to find your flatmate dead, and it turns into a murder mystery game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kai Tave posted:

Man Scott Pilgrim got really lame.

Actually it was always lame :grin:

I have no strong opinion about Scott Pilgrim

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope in that game you get to make moral choices about whether to make tweets about eugenics

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2_W9aUN7lA&t=101s

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope in that game you get to make moral choices about whether to make tweets about eugenics

I wanted to go for a joke about this being Jontron's chance to break back into the indie videogame voice-acting scene but :effort:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Actually it was always lame :grin:

I have no strong opinion about Scott Pilgrim

My strong opinion is that I loved the music and effects and the story was cute and fun and had an Achewood comic in a scene. I'm glad a big movie studio lost money making a movie that almost entirely seemed built for my media sensibilities at the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Scott Pilgrim's story is like 60% homage to River City Ransom and Ranma 1/2, both things I loved as a kid/teen, and yet I still didn't much care for the comic at all. The characters just weren't very likeable.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Trying to read the comic, I largely did not enjoy it that much fir similar reasons. It worked well as a big silly indie rock opera though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the scott pilgrim video game is still the best game its pixel artist has worked on and you can't even buy it anymore

on the flip side, he got work on two episodes of a disney cartoon specifically because he's a really good sprite animator so i guess it evens out. but unfortunately, that doesn't make mercenary kings any less of a joyless video game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

that doesn't make mercenary kings any less of a joyless video game

having friends does however

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

the scott pilgrim video game is still the best game its pixel artist has worked on and you can't even buy it anymore

on the flip side, he got work on two episodes of a disney cartoon specifically because he's a really good sprite animator so i guess it evens out. but unfortunately, that doesn't make mercenary kings any less of a joyless video game

It's really not that good of a game...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

It's really not that good of a game...

hey man, i only said it was better than mercenary kings

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Colonel posted:

Didn't he do a most of the sprites for shantae?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What about WIZORB

tap my mountain posted:

Didn't he do a most of the sprites for shantae?

No

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh the boob jiggle had me convinced

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the animators for Scott Pilgrim vs The World works on River City Ransom Underground.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

Scott Pilgrim's story is like 60% homage to River City Ransom and Ranma 1/2, both things I loved as a kid/teen, and yet I still didn't much care for the comic at all. The characters just weren't very likeable.

I really liked it, but I came into it at a pretty boring and sad period in my life that put me in the right position to enjoy a story about a juvenile idiot learning how to be a better person. I hope O'Malley makes another longer character drama/comedy in the future, because the comic he made after Scott Pilgrim is just Groundhog Day but not as good, so it was sort of disappointing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, it's totally fair to dislike the characters since that's kind of the point. I was kind of bummed that the movie largely dropped the plot point that Scott thought he was a blameless victim who bounced from relationship to relationship rather than accepting and trying to fix his problems.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me of that one Overwatch player that was doing amazing poo poo with Lucio on console, and all the YouTube comments were like "You're a fuccboi console gamer, try to do that on PC and you'll get rekt" so he bought a PC version of Overwatch and got to Grandmaster rank

Edit: excuse me, Top 500 not Grandmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

This is one of my most favourite videos. Good grief I felt such a ton of joy watching it!
I don't understand what the numbers mean because I only play random overwatch matches and am not at a competitive level but it looks like that's an impressive figure.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, it's totally fair to dislike the characters since that's kind of the point. I was kind of bummed that the movie largely dropped the plot point that Scott thought he was a blameless victim who bounced from relationship to relationship rather than accepting and trying to fix his problems.

It's interesting to talk about his character because when I first read it, he went from being a sympathetic to an unsympathetic character as the story went from being very focused on him and kind of juvenile and fantastical in tone, to a story where the rest of the cast gets more depth and it becomes much more focused on mundane problems. But I don't know if I'd have the same experience if I read it for the first time today or whether I'd read the information you are given about him right off the bat (the way he acts in a relationship; he's unemployed and mooching off his friends; he's dating a 17 year old) and immediately think of him as unsympathetic. I think he starts off the story deliberately suggesting that he has valid reasons for the way he is, though, and then when you actually learn more about his history later on it becomes clear that they weren't really valid reasons at all, so maybe I'd still find him sympathetic if I'd first read it today.

To be less derail-y, I started playing the old Sierra city management game Emperor (it's the Caesar game but in ancient China) and it's okay, but I'd kill for a remake. So much of what bugs me in it is just down to technological limitations from when it was made.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me of that one Overwatch player that was doing amazing poo poo with Lucio on console, and all the YouTube comments were like "You're a fuccboi console gamer, try to do that on PC and you'll get rekt" so he bought a PC version of Overwatch and got to Grandmaster rank

Edit: excuse me, Top 500 not Grandmaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

yeah i mean no one is gonna argue that mouse isnt a more accurate input device or anything but all that generally means is going from console to a pc version of the game is like going frickin super saiyan, it doesnt somehow make the console player trash just because of their input device. it doesnt generally work the other way around though because someone who has only played mouse will have to adjust a lot to using a pad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought this was a game already

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I just played the new Dark Souls 3 DLC for a while and... I don't know if I'm going to bother finishing it. I feel like the DLC, and Dark Souls 3 as a whole are too focused on being the wrong kind of gently caress-you hard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe you're just sick of the formula.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe you're just sick of the formula.

Perhaps. I still love the poo poo out of the first Dark Souls and also Bloodborne though. There are a lot of things in DS2 and 3 that I just disagree with, and what I've played of this DLC just put together all of the worst bullshit I hate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dlc definitely does feel like a reunion of Dark Souls' worst gameplay elements: Falls that should kill you but don't, unkillable enemies that have a killable source but are standing between you two, enemies that infinitely summon other enemies until you kill them, a dragon (complete with instagib fire breath), enemies that wombo combo you with like 5 hits in a row if you get hit by the first one, attacks that are so quick you legitimately probably can't dodge them unless you already know the tell, enemies who are resistant to all elements and some that have additional real high phys resistance, bosses who only take appreciably more damage from bleed.

I still had fun with it in spite of all of that though personally

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I was so excited about managing to barely beat the boss I found on my first try until it pulled the stupid loving "now I'm revived and buffed and I have new moves!!!" If I empty a bosses health bar it should be loving dead. If it has another phase just activate it when the health bar reaches whatever point. Trying to manage/fight 2 giant demons at once is plenty enough of a boss fight anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played Dark Souls 3 in half a year since some update now causes it to hang on a black screen whenever I try to exit the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
its a shame that the last dark souls, dark souls 3, was also the worst dark souls

• Locked thread