Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm that guy. I get upset about thread length sometimes. So come at me.

I don't think you have the courage!

Forums poster Tasteful Dickpic is threatened by length. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Forums poster Tasteful Dickpic is threatened by length. :laugh:

:aaaaa:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I knew this username would pay off sooner or later!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greggster posted:

Another question ; The whole "Brad Pitt learned not how to read for Se7en", where does that one come from?

Page 118 of this very thread!

Smiling Jack posted:

As the ultimate method actor Brad Pitt spent years training himself to be unable to read.

The entire "Brad Pitt's character was illiterate in Se7en" discussion starts on page 117 and people ran with it for a while

Mierenneuker posted:

It backfired when he was handed the script to Babel and found himself unable to learn his lines.

He then learned braille within a two month period and he has been receiving scripts in braille ever since.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Brad Pitt is illiterate irl but learned to read braille with his mouth and now supplements his income by giving palm readings on women's cooters

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

^^ I hope you all got the pun in Brad Pitt not being able to comprehend his dialogue for a movie called Babel. I was rather proud of that one myself.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In Logan, after leaving the clinic, Laura gets in the driver's door and throws some crap into the back before shifting over to let Logan drive. What she throws isn't even in shot but it's there because she was sitting on it when she drove him to the doctor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An older movie - Galaxy Quest actually raises an interesting question in the final act, when Tim Allen is ordered by the villain to explain lying to his injured alien buddy as he wants to watch them both squirm as he is an rear end in a top hat - the question being, how to explain fiction to a species with no concept of untruth. It results in interesting thought experiment for me - how would I begin? In my case after defining basic lying I would give a list of situations that it's normally applied in, both benign, ie to protect someone from someone who would do them harm, and more selfish, like to get oneself out of trouble. Then I would expand on that will different types of lie, Hyperbole, Embellishment, Omission etc.

Then transition into the idea that sometimes people lie to entertain others, and that often those others seek out said lies to liven up their day when things get dull or stressful. Then go from there...

Either way it's a kinda dumb movie that actually raises an interesting point. It actually does "Make Me Think" to put it in a somewhat pretentious way.

Alternatively just show them this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xedx1AeYRc :v:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BioEnchanted posted:

An older movie - Galaxy Quest

Either way it's a kinda dumb movie that actually raises an interesting point. It actually does "Make Me Think" to put it in a somewhat pretentious way.

Galaxy Quest is terrific and I won't hear otherwise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's the best of all the star trek movies, to be sure.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My extremely tiny iimm about Galaxy Quest is why does a race that doesn't understand deceit have holographic disguises?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anything that doesn't make sense, they copied from the show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

rydiafan posted:

My extremely tiny iimm about Galaxy Quest is why does a race that doesn't understand deceit have holographic disguises?

I think the concept of camouflage can be separated from the idea of deceit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I think the concept of camouflage can be separated from the idea of deceit.

I agree, but they are both forms of deception.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree, but they are both forms of deception.

Allowing another's senses to fool them and deliberately telling them things which are not true are on different levels, but I see your point.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Costuming isn't necessarily deception, they were thinking it was homage or imitation?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy poo poo who gives a poo poo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rolo posted:

How dare people discuss things on this, an internet message board.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

An older movie - Galaxy Quest actually raises an interesting question in the final act, when Tim Allen is ordered by the villain to explain lying to his injured alien buddy as he wants to watch them both squirm as he is an rear end in a top hat - the question being, how to explain fiction to a species with no concept of untruth. It results in interesting thought experiment for me - how would I begin? In my case after defining basic lying I would give a list of situations that it's normally applied in, both benign, ie to protect someone from someone who would do them harm, and more selfish, like to get oneself out of trouble. Then I would expand on that will different types of lie, Hyperbole, Embellishment, Omission etc.

Then transition into the idea that sometimes people lie to entertain others, and that often those others seek out said lies to liven up their day when things get dull or stressful. Then go from there...

Alternatively just show them this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xedx1AeYRc :v:

Was expecting this video instead of the thing you actually posted: https://youtu.be/awY1MRlMKMc

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rolo posted:

Well, somebody gave up and surrendered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rolo posted:

Cool people with interesting lives. That's who.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Somfin posted:

Allowing another's senses to fool them and deliberately telling them things which are not true are on different levels, but I see your point.

This really belongs in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread.

There's a more valid question, which is how Mathesar's people built a functioning Omega-13 based on transmitted episodes of Galaxy Quest when the show was cancelled before the purpose of the device was revealed, but as someone already said - who cares? Star Trek did stupider and less explicable things.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Galaxy Quest's bridge was better designed and was more functional than any Enterprise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

This really belongs in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread.

There's a more valid question, which is how Mathesar's people built a functioning Omega-13 based on transmitted episodes of Galaxy Quest when the show was cancelled before the purpose of the device was revealed, but as someone already said - who cares? Star Trek did stupider and less explicable things.

If they knew the structure and materials it doesn't really matter if they knew how it worked or not.

Put the right poo poo in the proper format and it'll do what it's supposed to.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
No Star Trek movie could pull off Galaxy Quest's deep dive into our scifi as how we would like to be in terms of morality. With how the Dolmation's saw the cast of the show, how they really are and saw themselves to what they became by the end of the movie.

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Mar 27, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphrodite posted:

If they knew the structure and materials it doesn't really matter if they knew how it worked or not.

Put the right poo poo in the proper format and it'll do what it's supposed to.

But they don't, and that's the point. The Protector was based on fictional science, not functional science. For things like the ship's controls that's no problem; it's just a different way to use technology they probably already had. Inventing technology to match what they'd seen in the show is also OK because that's finding a solution to a presented problem. But to create a functioning Omega-13 on the basis of a schematic without knowing what it does would mean that the writers of the show had actually designed a functioning Omega-13.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie never outright says they didn't!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

But they don't, and that's the point. The Protector was based on fictional science, not functional science. For things like the ship's controls that's no problem; it's just a different way to use technology they probably already had. Inventing technology to match what they'd seen in the show is also OK because that's finding a solution to a presented problem. But to create a functioning Omega-13 on the basis of a schematic without knowing what it does would mean that the writers of the show had actually designed a functioning Omega-13.

Probably because it's fiction.

Like it's ok that it's irritating, and we should talk about that, but there is no satisfying answer so its weird to ask for one.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

The movie never outright says they didn't!

'cause the squid aliens are ridiculously intelligent but just as naive. They made assumptions based on their knowledge of super science.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you idiots even talking about

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

What are you idiots even talking about

a parody sci fi movie that was making fun of them without them realizing it

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

MariusLecter posted:

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"

After remembering the montage video of that quote, I realized that Grabthar is an verbal pun on "Grab that" in addition to the obvious "war van" pun. Of course the actor who did stage plays would grow to loathe the line prior to the movie's events; that line is full of two puns that he belives is beneath his acting skills.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alaois posted:

a parody sci fi movie that was making fun of them without them realizing it

Galaxy Quest really is the Silicone Valley of movies in that regard.

And to actually answer the question: A wizard alien engineer did it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not so much subtle but appreciated - I like how in Spy, Agent Cooper is actually a competent secret agent, and not just because of her fighty nature. She gets her cover blown early in the movie to her target, and on the plane with her while at gunpoint she immediately reinvents her cover to fit the situation, only using context clues in photos and awards on the plane to make it seem like she knows her target's father better than she does, and after that she basically becomes a whole other person, going from the naive but competent Agent Cooper to a foul mouthed bodyguard that basically bullies her target into keeping around, even bullying her real entourage into giving her his coat. That's impressive, and hilarious.

Generally her characters in movies like Bridesmaids ("fight for your lovely life, Annie" is probably one of my favourite scenes in that movie), The Heat (Officer Mullins is competent at getting what she needs even if she's not by the book and generally abrasive, and it's not surprising why she's like that considering the shitheads that raised her. The only reason she's still a good person at heart is because her brother is gracious about her putting him in jail, he can be seen as her anchor to common decency, otherwise she may have sunk into the crab bucket with her other family members. She is not only climbing out of the bucket, she's pulling her brother out with her) and Spy are leaps and bounds ahead of her other starring roles in movies like Identity Thief and The Boss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's one of the main reasons people will say they didn't see Ghostbusters, but her character in that is the normal one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

She's one of the main reasons people will say they didn't see Ghostbusters, but her character in that is the normal one.

Idiots will hate her because she's a woman and because she's kinda fat. It's a shame because I like her a lot.
I get the argument against comedies where the writers/directors think Shouting = Comedy and that's what she was known for early on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

After remembering the montage video of that quote, I realized that Grabthar is an verbal pun on "Grab that" in addition to the obvious "war van" pun. Of course the actor who did stage plays would grow to loathe the line prior to the movie's events; that line is full of two puns that he belives is beneath his acting skills.

Grab that? War van?

What in god's holy name are you blathering about?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't think I've ever been so pleasantly surprised by a movie as I was at Spy. The trailers made it seem like the whole movie was jokes about her weight but it's kind of the exact opposite.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think I've ever been so pleasantly surprised by a movie as I was at Spy. The trailers made it seem like the whole movie was jokes about her weight but it's kind of the exact opposite.

I think generally Paul Feig is Good at Entertainment. He was pretty funny as Science Teacher Gene Pool on Sabrina The Teenage Witch (Although IMO standout performances in that show went to Late-Series Harvey who suddenly had really funny subplots when no longer relegated to boyfriend status, Willard Kraft who was a delightful rear end in a top hat, and Libby Chessler who had great reaction shots and generally sold that character) and now he's bringing out the best in Melissa McCarthy et al, so good on him for a strong career trajectory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You need to watch Freaks and Geeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

food court bailiff posted:

The trailers for all of Paul Feig's films make them look dire, whoever's putting them together clearly doesn't know what they're doing.