Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Node posted:

I'm stupid/blind and can't figure out what he is showing here.

Looks like the table shows you the most profitable place to put a Cathedral. Presumably you can do the same for any building. Saves you having to pore over your entire empire to find the best spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

Just going to keep copying the good updates he posts (tell me if this is annoying). Filter in the ledger!!

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/846385930843901952

Great but missing a filter for subjects, it's actually kind of annoying trying to figure out how your subjects are doing manpower / economy wise. But maybe they should just add this info to the subject tab.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I know EU4 is about abstraction not simulation (or something along those lines), but what exactly is spending 50 mil points to breach a fort an abstraction of?

Presumably it's an abstraction of using techniques such as sapping to more quickly create a beach, vs the standard technique of simply firing cannons at the fortress and hoping that a breach eventually occurs (although sapping would eventually become a standard technique, I think it was still pretty groundbrekaing (heh) through the 17th century)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought it had been around since at least the Middle Ages?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought it had been around since at least the Middle Ages?

The general concept of digging toward a wall and undermining its integrity had been around for awhile, but it took a long time to become a commonly used strategy IIRC (and sapping itself underwent many improvements, both to protect the sappers better and to be more effective at breaching). Sapping is hard as poo poo to do well and not nearly as easy as just pointing your artillery at a thing and bombarding it day after day, but when fortress construction became sufficiently advanced that bombardment no longer really worked sapping became necessary (but you could still just, like, surround the fort and not let supplies get in)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vegetable posted:

I know EU4 is about abstraction not simulation (or something along those lines), but what exactly is spending 50 mil points to breach a fort an abstraction of?

casting a powerful cannonball spell

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

casting a powerful cannonball spell

This is now canon in my head for any monarch point action

"mmm I want my culture in this province, assemble the court mages to prepare the mind control ritual"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Be careful, you're going to get people to start calling MPs "mana" and I will begin ripping people's heads off.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
There should be a breaching discount for level 8 forts. Sieges are fine at every other point in the game but level 8 forts are ridiculous.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Yashichi posted:

There should be a breaching discount for level 8 forts. Sieges are fine at every other point in the game but level 8 forts are ridiculous.

5% siege bonus at Mil tech level 26, 28, 30, 32. (Or something like that)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The ending of this week's multiplayer dev session :stonklol:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

Be careful, you're going to get people to start calling MPs "mana" and I will begin ripping people's heads off.

You should try stacking your mana bonii.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tactical use of mana to get that [deep, win voice] baguette clay

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fister Roboto posted:

are people on the pdx forums being ironic when they say bonii and i just don't get it?

because holy poo poo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xinder posted:

are people on the pdx forums being ironic when they say bonii and i just don't get it?

because holy poo poo

I promise you they are not.

OperaMouse posted:

5% siege bonus at Mil tech level 26, 28, 30, 32. (Or something like that)

Yeah this really needs to be added. Holy hell late game wars are boring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PittTheElder posted:

I promise you they are not.

Yeah this really needs to be added. Holy hell late game wars are boring.

Weren't fortifications increasingly strategically unhelpful towards the end of the game's timeframe as well? Maybe if they want endgame forts to be so tough, decisive battles should start giving way more warscore at some point. Waterloo style.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Xinder posted:

because holy poo poo

We are not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skasion posted:

Weren't fortifications increasingly strategically unhelpful towards the end of the game's timeframe as well? Maybe if they want endgame forts to be so tough, decisive battles should start giving way more warscore at some point. Waterloo style.

The problem with doing that is that battles are abstracted too hard. So it's pretty easy to lose a battle through no fault of your own, and if losing a battle or two meant losing the war...

And Waterloo wasn't decisive in the sense that it crippled Napoleon by itself. It's just that his opponents were so strong that after failing to defeat them piecemeal, it was clear that he wouldn't be able to accomplish anything in a continuing conflict. But players tend not to act the same way, and so they had to make the AI do the same thing, which is why every war has to drag on for so long.

Honestly it's even more glaring in Stellaris. In EU you usually have a chance to rebuild after losing your army thanks to forts, but in Stellaris it takes so long to build up a force that once you lose your fleet the war is totally over, and it's purely a mopping up exercise for the winner. But the Length of War modifier still means every AI will fight on pointlessly for no reason.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Seems harsh to have war-defining battles when dice are still being rolled for combat.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The +3 modifier to sieges in the ages mechanic for the last age will probably speed things up a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, I decided to give England a spin and figured why not, I'll claim france as mine because I'm greedy. I fought the initial unification war and won, four loans later. Is there any way to actually keep this union now or did I make an incredibly stupid decision? :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, I decided to give England a spin and figured why not, I'll claim france as mine because I'm greedy. I fought the initial unification war and won, four loans later. Is there any way to actually keep this union now or did I make an incredibly stupid decision? :v:

Develop France. Each point of development is -5% liberty desire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dirk the Average posted:

Develop France. Each point of development is -5% liberty desire.

This will definitely help, but they'll have less desire to start with if you wiped their armies during the war. Don't rage quit if they manage to break free due to bullshit monarch death or whatever, just get back on track and beat them again - the restoration of union cb has a fairly generous length and only needs 50 WS to enforce the union, and you can almost always find someone willing to help you mess with France. Once you have them firmly under control you'll almost certainly be the major power in the world and can boss around the continent or dominate the new world or oriental trade as much as you care to. It's a reasonably strong position to form the Roman Empire from if you're into that, but particularly once the colonybux start flowing you can just poo poo all over anyone in the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

as others have suggested, develop some of their provinces. make sure you are at max forcelimits to counter their Liberty Desire, improve relations

get some strong allies

I think it's better to weaken France with a couple wars before you PU them, but you should be ok in your situation

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it was pretty easy, actually. I was concerned because it was telling me our PU would break on ruler death even after liberty desire was lowered, but then I remembered that's actually dictated by relations.

The initial war was the easy part, the hard part was dealing with the fact that I couldn't allow Margaret of Anjou replace Henry VI because my relations with France weren't improved enough, and then Henry just wouldn't freaking die once I was ready for him to. I'm so far behind on tech, ideas, everything.

Well, kicking off the reunification war with refusing to return Maine in 1444 and winning that wasn't all easy, but I was able to win when France split their troops between Normandy and Gascony, twice, each time seeing me stack wipe one of their armies. They were able to rebuild both times, but I was able to run them out of manpower while recruiting shitloads of mercs (even though a couple of those battles went horribly due to awful rolls), and was eventually able to take Paris. Once that happened, I peaced out Lorraine, and France accepted the PU peace.

In retrospect, it's probably better to wait so you can replace Henry VI as soon as humanly possible. By some miracle, I got an heir-creating event which staved off the War of the Roses disaster for the duration of the war with France, which also helped a lot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I look forwards to the malii I can apply to my foeman's forts

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Uniting Africa is easier with your Mali bonii.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

The problem with doing that is that battles are abstracted too hard. So it's pretty easy to lose a battle through no fault of your own, and if losing a battle or two meant losing the war...

And Waterloo wasn't decisive in the sense that it crippled Napoleon by itself. It's just that his opponents were so strong that after failing to defeat them piecemeal, it was clear that he wouldn't be able to accomplish anything in a continuing conflict. But players tend not to act the same way, and so they had to make the AI do the same thing, which is why every war has to drag on for so long.

When your peasant mothers, wives and children hear that half a million sons, husbands and fathers were killed in a single battle somewhere, your war exhaustion should bloody explode in response.

Like, +20 war exhaustion at those numbers, win or lose.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Italy has the best galley bonus I think, so I would go with tons of galleys with some heavies mixed in depending on how many can you afford (more heavies is always better but not cheap at all - try to have at least as many heavies as they have)

Also please note that you will probably have to go over force limits to stand a chance of beating Ottomans or Spain in naval combat and going over force limits with lots of heavies will bankrupt you quick

While more heavies = better has been true, with the latest tweaks to naval combat it is no longer so. When fighting galleys in inland seas, heavies are now effectively fighting at 3 to 1 odds against opponents that do double damage. Heavies are still tough enough to take quite a few galleys with them, but in the end they will lose:

Given that galleys are cheap while heavies are decidedly not, a Mediterranean power should not even consider building a single heavy until they are ready to expand into the ocean proper.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like having a few heavies to soak damage while my galleys powerbomb the enemy fleet. Means less micro replacing dead galleys.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Having a few heavies to anchor your 40-galley fleet certainly feels worth it, at least for the extra durability. I've been doing this as Denmark and even managed to beat AI Spain's fleet in the Baltic when they had like 15 heavies in a huge mixed fleet vs me with something like 3 heavies and 35 galleys, only lost 4 of them

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Huh. I started as Lithuania and formed the Commonwealth, but despite what the tooltip said, I did not gain Polish as an accepted culture. Still shows red and gives penalties on all provinces.

I erased Muscovy and vasalized Novgorod to eat their land, managed to snatch Constantinople from the Ottomans with a road coalition on the mid 1550s, but it's 1600 now, all of my allies are murdering each other in the League wars and have an AVERAGE debt of 1200 ducats (Twice that for Austria), and any other strong power that could help me hold back the Turk has already rivaled me. Not sure if I should wait until they recover some and do another mass war, or nibble on hordes/Hungary to boos myself for when they inevitably attack.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drakhoran posted:

While more heavies = better has been true, with the latest tweaks to naval combat it is no longer so. When fighting galleys in inland seas, heavies are now effectively fighting at 3 to 1 odds against opponents that do double damage. Heavies are still tough enough to take quite a few galleys with them, but in the end they will lose:

Given that galleys are cheap while heavies are decidedly not, a Mediterranean power should not even consider building a single heavy until they are ready to expand into the ocean proper.

Heavies are still better ship for ship, which is important when considering forcelimits. If you are capped by your forcelimits and can afford heavies, then it's not a bad idea to build some, right?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Heavies are still better ship for ship, which is important when considering forcelimits. If you are capped by your forcelimits and can afford heavies, then it's not a bad idea to build some, right?
This is actually exactly why I started building heavies as the Ottomans. It so happens that having the Heavies to soak damage is an added benefit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ugh, I really shouldn't have played with Random New Worlds on. I never tried it and wanted to give it a shot. My England game has been going very well, except for the part where not a single New World trade route leads to the English Channel or North Sea. And not to mention that there's no avenue of colonization I can take except until naval tech 11 or so, which only leads me to frozen wastelands.

Welp, that's that run scrapped.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ugh, I really shouldn't have played with Random New Worlds on. I never tried it and wanted to give it a shot. My England game has been going very well, except for the part where not a single New World trade route leads to the English Channel or North Sea. And not to mention that there's no avenue of colonization I can take except until naval tech 11 or so, which only leads me to frozen wastelands.

Welp, that's that run scrapped.

Fun hint. You can see if you're going to get trade routes ahead of time. Start a new game as your desired country and then check your trade node. You should see the nodes coming from the New World as ??? tabs at the top of the node box. I think if you only have one incoming that is Ivory Coast. More than one and you've got New World nodes feeding in. You can also check your rivals to make sure that Iberia has some inflow too. Just restart a couple times until you're sure you have some trade coming in. Works for non traditional colonizers like Japan or whatever, too.

Trade nodes can be... fucky. I've seen large landmasses spawn closer then the real world North America that still don't inflow trade to Europe. Random New World could use some more work still. At the very minimum I'd like to see a 'Force Trade flow to Europe' option you could check off, which would guarantee that at a minimum English Channel and Sevilia would get trade flow from the New World.

EDIT: Frustrating that most random new worlds are still just some scattered islands unless you get the pregened mega tiles. The tile system was a decent brute force solution, but if we get random new worlds for EU5, I hope they try real random generation again, even if it means it takes longer for initial generation.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 30, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm really surprised that they RANG New Worlds don't flow to Europe more often. In the be game the Philippines fed into the New World and Mexico and California fed into Asia, despite the distance.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is it possible to develop a single province so much that it becomes impossible to take with a 100 warscore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kulkasha posted:

Is it possible to develop a single province so much that it becomes impossible to take with a 100 warscore?

Warscore for one province is hardcapped iirc. I know coring cost definitely is.

• Locked thread