Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I know I'm a bit late on the maps discussion, but: The map selection is weighted. Specifically, the maps appear in order of inverse popularity, i.e. very popular maps come up in the vote very rarely and unpopular maps come up frequently. This is done to even out the amount that each map gets played a little, but it's stupid because it just further biases the system because nobody wants to risk missing out on Mining/Canyon/HPG when they come up so they will win every single vote option they are a part of.

So yes, it's totally feasible that you could play 50 games without seeing it in voting rotation because it is one of the most popular maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Commoners posted:

... unless you are being flanked by the emotional guilt of taking a human life.

As e-honoure obvs demands. :smithicide:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I pick HPG, mining and canyon every time because i don't spend 1/3 of the match walking just to see an enemy. (provided I'm running heavy/assault)

Which means we are earning cbills too quickly! Time to turn them into giant snipefests or lrm friendly plains. Making city brawl maps is lostech

Just cracks me up. oh my they keep picking these maps? Don't ask why just railroad them into the other ones!

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 28, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cease to Hope posted:

the answer to both of your questions is this 1G build

you can run it with an XL but that's probably suicide

the 3M and 3S are both worse than the 2C and 1G but you run basically the same build in them. they just aren't as tough as the 2C and don't have the 1G's nice laser quirks.

This thing owns by the way. It turns for poo poo but most anything in front of you just melts and/or decides to gently caress off immediately when you come over a ridge and facefuck it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

I know I'm a bit late on the maps discussion, but: The map selection is weighted. Specifically, the maps appear in order of inverse popularity, i.e. very popular maps come up in the vote very rarely and unpopular maps come up frequently. This is done to even out the amount that each map gets played a little, but it's stupid because it just further biases the system because nobody wants to risk missing out on Mining/Canyon/HPG when they come up so they will win every single vote option they are a part of.

So yes, it's totally feasible that you could play 50 games without seeing it in voting rotation because it is one of the most popular maps.

I never heard about this and to be honest I do not think it is correct. Do you have some information about it that I can read?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

This thing owns by the way. It turns for poo poo but most anything in front of you just melts and/or decides to gently caress off immediately when you come over a ridge and facefuck it.

it's a stalker in a battlemaster frame and it's hilarious

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Artificer posted:

Does anyone know how to make the heat alarm louder? Sometimes I can't hear it over the explosions going on and shut down at bad times.

Just turn on your override at the beginning of a match and try not to kill yourself.

If you are in a light and you overheat it's instant death. You're too fragile to risk standing still, so better to take the damage and hope you don't blow out your XL engine.

If your'e in an assault you have the structure HP to reliably tank through anything but the most insane laserboat-with-ghost-heat overheating damage. Plus, while mobility isn't as huge an issue as it is in a light, generally you're better off if you keep moving and find cover than if you just stand still in the middle of a field or while exposed from poking.

Mediums and Heavies are basically a mix of those two problems, depending on if you're fast and fragile or heavy and slow.

Also, keep some cool shots on hand. They can REALLY help with taking the edge off and making what could be a real internal structure heat raping into just a couple of ticks. Don't pop them to avoid overheating, pop 'em to mitigate it while you shuffle for cover to cool off a bit.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Artificer posted:

Does anyone know how to make the heat alarm louder? Sometimes I can't hear it over the explosions going on and shut down at bad times.

Just press override when you get out of the dropship. Never worry about shutting down again!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gaghskull posted:

Just press override when you get out of the dropship. Never worry about shutting down again!

I'd totally do that if the big red overlay weren't so annoying, and if the audiovisual feedback for ACTUALLY going above 100% were a little more noticeable.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Artificer posted:

edit: Anyone got advice for fending off swarms of huginns and locusts with maybe 1 medium mech backing the enemy lights up in Scouting? Or does it boil basically down to:
1. Call targets
2. Go for the legs
3. Always move forward in a circle since if you just rotate your legs are very vulnerable

This is the legitimate reason I bring a streakboat to scouting. It's basically a hard counter to anything under 40tons, and not as bad as people think against Novas and poo poo. I just have to be on target with my 2ml to strip off arms or legs and move on to the next target

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

an IS streakboat? what chassis? I'll have to consider this.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Ghost heat still bad?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
IS ERML is gonna bust the game wide open. CDA-2B holla

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheParadigm posted:

honestly the only streakboat for scouting for IS is probably the Oxide Jenner.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bobcats posted:

IS ER Lasers are still shorter ranged than their Clan counterparts, and do the same damage as the non-ER versions. They're not really a game-changer.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
IS will always hold the close range advantage due to heat, burn times, and single fire ACs. There are few situations where you'll want ER weapons over their standard or pulse counterparts.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

TheParadigm posted:

I use a bushwhacker p1 or s2. But I used to use a kto-18 (yes I know terrible blah blah) to great effect. Trick is you gotta have full armor and go faaaast

e: my streakboats go somewhere between 103 and 115. I imagine oxide would be thoroughly passable at it, but as I don't own one I don't know.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The real question is if IS ya s are going to work like the is uac5 does now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bobcats posted:

for a moment I thought you said ELRM and I was like uhhhh

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Artificer posted:

slam that fuckin O button at the start of every match

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah or just have an instinct for "gently caress I am not getting out of this situation alive" where you hardwire yourself to hit o.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I live by the beef's credo of "the only one that will kill me, is myself". Always overheat yourself to death.

Also, gently caress this lucky charms event. 120 bags and no free banshee.

I made myself feel better by using all my free C-bills to buy a KDK-3. So something good came out of it I guess. Oh, and I almost have my Marauder IIC elited so that's a thing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Major Spag posted:

I live by the beef's credo of "the only one that will kill me, is myself". Always overheat yourself to death.

Also, gently caress this lucky charms event. 120 bags and no free banshee.

I made myself feel better by using all my free C-bills to buy a KDK-3. So something good came out of it I guess. Oh, and I almost have my Marauder IIC elited so that's a thing.

I got two free banshees

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I've gotten close to 1000 free MC now, so I'm okay if I don't get the mech.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I did everything but the invasion bullshit and got no mech. Not surprised at all, I've lived a life hosed by RNG.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real question is if IS ya s are going to work like the is uac5 does now.

ya s

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
So is the cougar just complete hot garbage? I can see where you could get 3 missile slots and 4 energy with ecm.....but the shape/size seems iffy. And it looks like it may be sllloooowwww which is a death sentence.

Also anything about if the cbills boosts hanging & standing will stack?

Inquiring for a friend.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zyphoid posted:

So is the cougar just complete hot garbage?

yes

quote:

Also anything about if the cbills boosts hanging & standing will stack?

yes but don't give pgi money

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

yes

yes but don't give pgi money

Is it really worth it for a minimum of 80$?

You're literally paying for the hastle of swapping your bonus around. A) its not worth it for 5%, B(... that's going to get so old so fast.

Are any of the resistance heroes worth anything or otherwise look interesting? I haven't looked at them especially hard.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

TheParadigm posted:

You're literally paying for the hastle of swapping your bonus around. A) its not worth it for 5%, B(... that's going to get so old so fast.

Are any of the resistance heroes worth anything or otherwise look interesting? I haven't looked at them especially hard.

FYI there is a standing item for 5% and a hanging item for 5%. If those both stack and stack with premium couldn't you get something like +20% cbills per match?

As far as the resistance heroes go, the Enforcer one has ECM. Depending on it's quirks (LL QUIRKS) it could be the best IS medium.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you go full retard you can do 50% premium + 30% mech + 10% cockpit items.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

also remember that the clan/IS cbill boosters only work in clan/IS mechs

do not preorder resistance heroes. there's no preorder bonus so you can just wait and see what the quirks are like and the meta is like when they come out.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cease to Hope posted:

also remember that the clan/IS cbill boosters only work in clan/IS mechs

do not preorder resistance heroes. there's no preorder bonus so you can just wait and see what the quirks are like and the meta is like when they come out.

You sure? I'll check, I have old liao hangers worth 10% faction. I'll check on my IIC.

Also, the oxide with srm 2s and max engine is really fun.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

You sure? I'll check, I have old liao hangers worth 10% faction. I'll check on my IIC.

the new ones that aren't out yet, not the ancient Phoenix ones you can't get any more.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
So I did a thing goons.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I like your style.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Me too, but the style being "takes picture of computer screen using a camera".

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TjyvTompa posted:

Me too, but the style being "takes picture of computer screen using a camera".

:same:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, that's not a screen. That's my wall. Just got my wireless headset in now as well, so I can play in style. Hopefully I'll get some couch time this weekend after I finish putting up the border trim on the wall and buttoning down the last few keystone jacks for the speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
All 150 bags, no mech. I'll be damned if I'm punching myself in the dick 25 times for siege.

• Locked thread