Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, I've been feeling like Teen Titans has been going downhill since Meyers left, and I feel like I'm probably going to drop it after Lazarus Contract. Shame since I had such high hopes for it, and it's basically the only comic with my favorite DC character in it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Wonder Woman started working much better once Cale came into the flashbacks so you get the contrast of how she walked into hell on those good intentions. Until Deimos and Phobos showed up, she'd probably just have made snarky comments at press conferences about Diana. Basically, once that happened, the modern story started to click for me. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Etta and Cheetah being a thing, it seems a little pat to contrast the misogyny of the Cheetah powers in the first arc with Barbara Ann being with a woman, and I always liked the Steve/Etta thing from the post-Crisis era.
Rucka is, however, leaning hard on the villains being victims of circumstance, much like Batman's villains are all victims of their own psyches.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ooh. Jamie McKelvie is doing DC variants now.
Wild Storm #3.

Also, this Cave Carson #5 one is neato.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

BrianWilly posted:

Busy playing Mass Effect, can't effortpost, but this was a really interesting week.

Detective Comics: A really good arc. Batman gets chumped a bunch though. Clayface and Cassandra :3:

WW: Dr. Cyber looks great. More things should evoke H.R. Giger in comics.

HJ and the GLC: This marks the...like, third time that Kyle lost his cosmic powers that he gained through hard work and sacrifice? They do it here in a way that's really respectful towards the character and his history, in contrast to the chump way it happened in Sinestro Corps War...but still. I do like the rationale he gives for returning to his very first (well, technically second) costume: that it's the one he wore when things seemed the darkest, and now it's time for him to step up to the plate again.

What'll probably be of interest to people is that Kyle loses the White Lantern powers because he and Saint Walker are trying to resurrect the Blue Lanterns, and some outside entity directly intervenes and forcibly prevents it from happening, splitting Kyle's ring into the seven colors again. Hmm, someone is trying to stop hope from returning to the universe, whO COULD IT BE

Highlight of the week: Kyle's NIN shirt

Dude you need to spoiler your poo poo if you post on Wednesdays. Some people don't get their pulls on Wednesdays (like me this week).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

So my friend gave me a poo poo ton of new DC comics as a gift. I've never really read DC though. Where should I start?
Edit: Fixed image

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jesus, that is one generous friend.

If you're interested in new stuff, then check out Superman (not Action Comics), it's a real high quality series that gets Superman down perfectly. Out of the older stuff, I'd definitely give Mark Waid's Flash a shot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Your image link is broken. Here ya go

Yup. Superman is the best thing.
Getting to grips with who this Superman and his family are is complicated. If you're not feeling the first issue that tries to explain it, soldier through, cause the actual story is really sweet and fun.

Night of the Monster Men is, like, six issues into the Rebirth Batman family issues it's crossing over, so you'll be missing the set-up of a lot of characters. If you accept that, it should be fine as a self contained read.

Definitely get to The Flintstones at some point. It's a really neat subversive take.

edit: A lot of the Rebirth stuff, especially Titans, concerns it's self with confronting issues of previous DC continuities, which might really confuse you.
Basically, in 2011, they rebooted the entire universe (The New 52) so characters were younger or in different relationships (Superman was no longer in a relationship with Lois, ect) and about a year ago, for this 'Rebirth' relaunch, aspects of the previous DC Comics world have started breaking back in.
For example, 'The Return of Wally West' is a big deal because in the New 52 they gave that name to a completely different character and pissed all the diehard fans off, so here's the real deal back.

If none of these collections include it, you should try and read this Rebirth Special one-shot comic that kicked it off.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Unive...XN1bHRzU2xpZGVy
It reveals a hidden force behind the 2011 reboot which is really crazy on a meta, conceptual level.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 23, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So my friend gave me a poo poo ton of new DC comics as a gift. I've never really read DC though. Where should I start?

The Flash by Mark Waid

It's how I got into DC Comics

After that read Superman, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, and Zatanna.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pubic works project posted:

I see D_T loves him some big titties.

I can get down with that.

All of the titgirls in the anime titninja game have large tits. Even the underage ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuns with Guns posted:

. Even the underage ones.

Judging from DT's previous avatars we can assume this is how he likes it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks for the help and the advice!

A quick, weird question: why do you all like DC Comics? I've always avoided it, and Marvel, because I felt it must lack consequences with the constant resurrections, so wouldn't nothing matter if characters never grow or change to keep the status quo? Is my assumption right? What brings you back?

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Edit: double post

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A quick, weird question: why do you all like DC Comics? I've always avoided it, and Marvel, because I felt it must lack consequences with the constant resurrections, so wouldn't nothing matter if characters never grow or change to keep the status quo? Is my assumption right? What brings you back?

Same reason I like Sherlock Holmes stories: I like the concept and I like the characters, and the fact there aren't any long-term arcs or developments doesn't really matter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cause Batman could totally beat up Captain America and Wonder Woman has big boobs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I started reading a couple years ago cuz I was bored and figured what the hell and now I stay I guess for the reason you'd keep watching a show even when the writing starts taking a dive. You're already in it and the interaction between what unfolds good or bad and the emotional reaction to it is as big a part of reading as the book itself

Plus there's occasionally a good story (crazy i know) and there's admiring good art when you see it too (this has become a thing for me and books I'll read, I'll sick around for good art if the writing is middling)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've been going through Complex's list of the top 25 Batman comics to expand my knowledge of the character. I've read The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again (well over 400 pages combined), Hush, the Court of Owls issues, Batman and the Monster Men, The Black Mirror series, and a good chunk of Batman: Birth of the Demon. I've also read the very first Batman story from 1939 and the first few stories from the Batman run beginning in 1940.

What I've done is treated everything as essentially a standalone story. This works especially well since Frank Miller's work and Batman and the Monster Men are standalone stories totally outside the larger universes and the Court of Owls was the beginning of the New 52 reboot so there's no baggage behind it, but I read for the characters and the story rather than the ongoing work. The sheer size of the canon makes it almost impossible to catch up in any reasonable sense of the term without dedicating a good portion of your free time for years to reading comics.

So instead, I don't bother trying to catch up. I find what people agree are the best stories to gain an understanding of the characters and go from there. I save my sequential reading for small, limited run comics like the Image stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause Batman could totally beat up Captain America and Wonder Woman has big boobs.

D_T sock puppet found

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't read comics for the consequences, the revolving door of comic book afterlife isn't really a problem for me. I think there are some concessions you have to make to enjoy a superhero story, i.e. death means almost nothing, you can hop back up after being knocked unconscious with no ill effects, people can call themselves things like Doctor Psycho and Captain Boomerang with a straight face, nobody can tell Clark Kent is Superman because he's wearing glasses, etc.

Honestly more than anything I like DC because it's kind of childish and fantastical. As a kid I loved Batman, I think most kids do. As I grew up though I leaned hard into Marvel, specifically the X-Men, because as a teenager you don't want to like the same stuff you liked as a kid. I thought DC was for babies because That lead into Spawn and the Image comics of the 90s (I still have a huge problem taking Image seriously now that it's a very well-regarded publisher for a diverse lineup of independent comics, because in my day Image meant poo poo like Youngblood and WildC.A.T.S.). Now that I'm an old bitter fucker with a job and insurance I like comics that help me escape from the bullshit of reality, rather than try to replicate it. This is why I come down so hard on edgelord 'mature' content like Killing Joke. So I've leaned back in to childish concepts like the idea that a friendly man in a primary-colored costume goes around helping everyone because he's just that nice a guy. I like the pageantry and the traditions. I like capes and corny names and when they wear the underpants on the outside (which nobody really does anymore, sadly). It is very much a soap opera, and there's still a lot of DCs output that doesn't do anything for me. But I'm very attached to the characters at this point. And like a soap opera even when it's bad you tend to want to stick around because you know it's probably going to get good again before too long.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Farewell Superbro, you were too precious for this world :smith:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I enjoyed the end of the Superman crossover, but was also tickled by how blasé Superbro and New-Lois were about the whole deal. Oh, we were balls of light and are now standing in the middle of a bugfuck crazy dimension while a gigantic Mister Mxyzptlk is rambling about identity and continuity being hosed with? What's that you say Superman kid? We're your parents? That's absurd, me and Lois are just friends. Ok, see you later.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly the only thing that bugs me about the Superman thing is that now apparently Superman delivered his kid in the Fortress of Solitude? I liked the ludicrousness of having Lois give birth in Flashpoint Gotham with Dr. Thomas Wayne in a batsuit there.

Also if this leads to Clark and Lois going back to having double lives living in Metropolis I will actually be mad because I liked them on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 23, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Also if this leads to Clark and Lois going back to having double lives living in Metropolis I will actually be mad because I liked them on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Well people can say it's about cleaning up continuity all they want, but this here is the real reason this story happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they'll ever again acknowledge Jon's adoptive brother Chris or if Clark just decided he doesn't care about that little poo poo anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman loves Chris so much he (thought he) sent Doomsday into the phantom zone to help take care of him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Well people can say it's about cleaning up continuity all they want, but this here is the real reason this story happened.

I know. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bleedingcool is showing off the extra stories in next week's Hanna Barbera crossover specials. I can't find anyone else's preview to link to instead of them.

"DC Comics Publisher Dan DiDio Recreates Top Cat As Batman Villainn(sic)"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/dc-comics-publisher-dan-didio-recreates-top-cat-batman-villainn/

"The Jetsons Recreated As Something Closer To Black Mirror, By DC Comics"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/jetsons-recreated-something-closer-black-mirror-dc-comics/

"Watch Snagglepuss Naming Names To The House Committee On Un-American Activities"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/watch-snagglepuss-naming-names-to-the-house-committee-on-un-american-activities/

"Ruff And Ready, Recreated As Nineteen-Fifties Blue Comedians By Howard Chaykin"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/ruff-and-ready-recreated-as-ninteen-fifties-blue-comedians-by-howard-chaykin/

The Ruff and Reddy one is amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 23, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The announcement of Snyder and Capullo's next Epic will be livestreamed next week

http://www.newsarama.com/33713-dc-to-livestream-announcement-of-their-big-summer-event.html

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Characters do grow and change. It's just that it rarely happens as part of a neat package tied to a specific narrative. Rather, the growth and change happens as the same characters are reinterpreted again and again by different writers and artists, in historical contexts and media. It's like oil painting - any one story may only provide a thin, one-dimensional view of a character. But hundreds of stories over decades builds up that definition, and eventually you get a multi-layered, complex masterpiece. (Or sometimes you get Ecce Mono, but that's an inherent risk of all art.)

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bleedingcool is showing off the extra stories in next week's Hanna Barbera crossover specials. I can't find anyone else's preview to link to instead of them.

"DC Comics Publisher Dan DiDio Recreates Top Cat As Batman Villainn(sic)"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/dc-comics-publisher-dan-didio-recreates-top-cat-batman-villainn/

"The Jetsons Recreated As Something Closer To Black Mirror, By DC Comics"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/jetsons-recreated-something-closer-black-mirror-dc-comics/

"Watch Snagglepuss Naming Names To The House Committee On Un-American Activities"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/watch-snagglepuss-naming-names-to-the-house-committee-on-un-american-activities/

"Ruff And Ready, Recreated As Nineteen-Fifties Blue Comedians By Howard Chaykin"
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/23/ruff-and-ready-recreated-as-ninteen-fifties-blue-comedians-by-howard-chaykin/

The Ruff and Reddy one is amazing.

Uh are these like mature audience books?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not even 'Teen+'

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
^ lol drat

Been catching up on JL vs SS and drat new 52 eclipso is OP as gently caress

Mr President fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A quick, weird question: why do you all like DC Comics?

Grant Morrison.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Is the Killer Frost in JL vs SS supposed to be the same one from The Fury of Firestorms? because uhhh this is quite a change in characterization and backstory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr President posted:

Is the Killer Frost in JL vs SS supposed to be the same one from The Fury of Firestorms? because uhhh this is quite a change in characterization and backstory.

It is but they can easily use the changes Rebirth is rolling out to explain it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Or hopefully not try and explain anything, ala Waller fat.
JLA is the first comic probably 90% of readers have even begun to care about her, anyhow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Amanda Waller still a supermodel, or did they go back to middle aged fat woman?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She's her old self for the new series with no explanation.
The comic is pretty fun right now. Rob Williams is a good writer man.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The explanation is the movie came out.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Or hopefully not try and explain anything, ala Waller fat.
JLA is the first comic probably 90% of readers have even begun to care about her, anyhow.

Are people even reading the new jla? Monster men was boring and so far the jla one shots I've read have been awful I don't think Orlando is that great of a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lemme guess the reason you aren't mentioning Midnighter..