Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Thankfully Nintendo consoles have amazing emulator support. Hell you can run BotW via WiiU emulation right now at full speed. That's nuts.

Nintendo, the superior console for emulation :frogc00l:
(Which is also an underlying reason of why they're still so popular)

probably part of it is how many PS/XB console games get PC ports anyways, too

why spend time emulating a console when you know a huge portion of the library is going to end up on steam probably sooner rather than later, whereas nintendo we're seeing occasional gamecube ports to PC c/o resident evil and tales of symphonia.

i will still rebuy kirby's air ride to have it portable nintendo make it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
any more news on Jackbox?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

deadwing posted:

How did this argument escape from 2007

Kirios posted:

Nintendo and their fanboys are both stuck a decade in the past.

This is bad posting. For a lot of the world the internet is awful. Data caps, terrible speeds and high prices. Please don't Adam Orth in here about internet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Lemming posted:

Are you trying to argue that Sony and Microsoft stop developers from requiring large installs even when you're​ trying to play off a disc?

all offline content has to be playable from the disc without downloads, yes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

all offline content has to be playable from the disc without downloads, yes.

You would think Nintendo would have made the same requirement on a goddamn handheld :cripes:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You would think Nintendo would have made the same requirement on a goddamn handheld :cripes:

Sony and Microsoft games do tend to force you to install them. It just so happens that they install from the disc instead of the internet like this game is making you do. Hopefully Nintendo ends up creating a rule around this oversight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Has anyone confirmed that Undercover requires a download out of the box to start playing though? From a reputable source?

I'm curious as to how this all plays out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

andipossess posted:

Sony and Microsoft games do tend to force you to install them. It just so happens that they install from the disc instead of the internet like this game is making you do. Hopefully Nintendo ends up creating a rule around this oversight.

there is a big difference between requiring an entirely offline install from the disc on systems with 500gb-1tb of storage vs requiring a download larger than the cart itself on a handheld system which comes with 32gb of storage

Infinitum posted:

Has anyone confirmed that Undercover requires a download out of the box to start playing though? From a reputable source?

I'm curious as to how this all plays out.

its on the box of the game

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
What is the best recommendations for a case and screen protector for the Switch? I've seen a lot of back and forth but not really any consensus on what is the best, so hoping for some sweet, sweet goon assistance.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Bought the official carry case which is really nice, sturdy quality:

https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...o+switch+deluxe

Screen protector is a generic cheapo brand (Gioteck) screen protector which is just fine. The plastic is totally transparent and doesn't add any color or glare to the screen.

edit: As for the case it's pretty basic, fitting the entire console with Joycons connected. There are two game cartridge covers fitting multiple games placed snugly under the console when in case. The screen protecting cushion has a zipper pocket so I guess you can place some Pokémon cards or something there. No room for the official charger so you have to carry that separate.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not too fond of the precedent Lego City install sets.

It kind of reminds me of the Resident Evil Mercenaries debacle on 3DS, where you couldn't clear save info because they cheaped out on cart manufacturing.

Only worse, because you could play Mercenaries without a 13GB download. It also becomes a useless husk when the Switch download servers go down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah Nintendo shouldn't allow this. If carts are that expensive they should cut companies a deal to discourage them from being cheap fuckers. I can't imagine the difference between an 8 and 16 GB cart is substantial though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That Lego City debacle is lovely on the part of both Nintendo and WB Games, assuming that Nintendo are gouging the prices of larger game cards. A 13GB download just to play the game is insane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not just any game, a 4 year old port still at 720p. Who knows if the loading times are even better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm confused. I own a PS4 and there's been tons of games they've released that require hefty day one patches. What's the bloody difference?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nintendo shouldn't allow it but it doesn't seem like a situation where they have any leverage.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm confused. I own a PS4 and there's been tons of games they've released that require hefty day one patches. What's the bloody difference?
This isn't a patch and you can play those games single player offline.

I mean I think there's been one or two cases of games being broken as gently caress without a Day 1 patch but you can still play it.

As Video Games mentioned, there are lots of people who have terrible Internet connections or data caps. This is not friendly to those people, and putting warnings on the box does not mean that someone might not fall victim to it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

if you dont have your ps4 connected to the internet and put in a disc the game will play even if there are day one patches. even connected to the internet you can still play the game from disc while the patch downloads in the background

lego city undercover isnt a "day one patch", its the actual game its downloading, and the game is not playable without it as the cart has less than half of the game on it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's a huge difference. The PS4 isn't portable. It usually is connected to a wifi/ethernet connection, it can play the game without downloading extra data. It also has a huge storage capacity.

The Switch is portable. The idea that you put a cartridge in and go is a portable idea. Imagine if you bought a 3DS game and it required a 4GB install just to work? The same principle here. The point of portability is that this shouldn't be an issue. The switch comes with 32Gb of storage. 13 GB is close to half of the usable space. It'd be like bloodborne requiring a 240GB install.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That honestly feels like splitting hairs. Yeah, I guess it's marginally better, but combined with installs and Sony's arbitrary download throttling it effectively adds up to a similar problem that's effectively little different. Especially for games that that lean heavily on multiplayer.

The price of carts verses disks is something that's just going to have to be dealt with if this is going to be portable, given a disk drive is going to have effects on the size and form factor of this thing. I wouldn't use WB Games as hard proof Nintendo is "gouging" anyone given that company's history of anti-consumer policies. So it's a combination of the cost of production for this format and them being cheap bastards.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

That honestly feels like splitting hairs. Yeah, I guess it's marginally better, but combined with installs and Sony's arbitrary download throttling it effectively adds up to a similar problem that's effectively little different. Especially for games that that lean heavily on multiplayer.

I don't understand. In one scenario the game is playable and in the other it is not. That can't be splitting hairs.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The portability of the Switch is irrelevant imo. It's more of an argument in favour of this since you could take it to somewhere with wifi and download the game that you just bought a physical copy of.

Nov 24, 2014

tbh, I think the worse part of the Lego situation is that: The eShop version lists as 7gb, and the official site, GameStop, and Amazon don't mention any online requirement.

Assuming those photos are legit, they're seriously hiding it until it's in people's hands.

It's such a scummy move, it's unbelievable.

226 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 28, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This thread, until yesterday: man Nintendo needs to be more accommodating to third parties
This thread, now: Nintendo should really put their foot down on these garbage third parties

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

its a black and white situation. on ps4 i can grab any disc game and put it into an entirely offline ps4 and play the game. on the switch with lego undercover this is impossible and sets an awful precedent. also even with installs, lego takes 13gb of 32gb internal space, which is 40% of the entire storage on the console. as video games pointed out, to be comparable would mean games on ps4 requiring install sizes of 200gb.

also sony doesnt arbitrarily throttle downloads. some people have issues due to busy servers or locations but there is no throttling going on that i have seen, i can max out my fiber connection with a wired ps4.

any game that is heavily multiplayer or being bought for multiplayer requiring a download is a different situation as the whole idea of buying a game to play online multiplayer means that you presumably have an internet connection. i dont think anyone would kick up as much as a fuss over that situation. the issue is the entirely offline single player mode being unplayable without an internet connection.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WB has been a garbage company for years now tho

Anyway Snake Pass tomorrow

Hiss hiss motherfuckers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I don't understand. In one scenario the game is playable and in the other it is not. That can't be splitting hairs.

Because on the end the file and patch sizes are still huge and inefficient, and the only difference is the degree to which it is an inconvenience. I'm not gonna give other platforms credit for being slightly less of a problem; if part of the game isn't playable then, or the patch is required to fix performance issues, it's still a damning problem - especially if I have to download it off garbage online. This is a significant issue with third parties and the larger games industry as a whole.

Make no mistake. I'm not defending this. I think it sucks and it's soured me on a game I was looking forward to purchasing. But while it's not quite the same as the issue on other platforms, it comes from a similar place and is a symptom of a much larger issue that developers have adopted and gamers have just come to put up with despite it not really being in their best interests at all. I think that's honestly more where this comes from than singling out Nintendo and the Switch for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infinitum posted:

WB has been a garbage company for years now tho

Anyway Snake Pass tomorrow

Hiss hiss motherfuckers

I thought tomorrow was today.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

deadwing posted:

This thread, until yesterday: man Nintendo needs to be more accommodating to third parties
This thread, now: Nintendo should really put their foot down on these garbage third parties

Context.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because on the end the file and patch sizes are still huge and inefficient, and the only difference is the degree to which it is an inconvenience. I'm not gonna give other platforms credit for being slightly less of a problem; if part of the game isn't playable then, or the patch is required to fix performance issues, it's still a damning problem - especially if I have to download it off garbage online. This is a significant issue with third parties and the larger games industry as a whole.

Make no mistake. I'm not defending this. I think it sucks and it's soured me on a game I was looking forward to purchasing. But while it's not quite the same as the issue on other platforms, it comes from a similar place and is a symptom of a much larger issue that developers have adopted and gamers have just come to put up with despite it not really being in their best interests at all. I think that's honestly more where this comes from than singling out Nintendo and the Switch for it.

no, theyre two very different issues entirely and conflating them does nothing except make it look like your response to this is to try and diminish how egregious it is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo should eat the price difference between carts and discs in their licensing fees, or at least some of it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

no, theyre two very different issues entirely and conflating them does nothing except make it look like your response to this is to try and diminish how egregious it is.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Whether it's the "whole" enchilada as far as gameplay goes or just a part of it, or whether the onboard storage space is large or small, it doesn't have to be this way and as long as it exists, I'm going to see it as one of the industrys' negatives whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo as a platform.

In the end it's all just offloading a cost of development they don't have to onto the consumer, whether it's in the form of storage space, bandwidth, or playability. That's not a good thing no matter how incrementally "better" it may be moving from one thing to the other.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 28, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

deadwing posted:

There's accommodating, and then there's allowing 3rd parties to conduct lovely business practices. Also if this was a small publisher I'd probably understand it a bit more.

parallelodad posted:

Nintendo should eat the price difference between carts and discs in their licensing fees, or at least some of it.
Please don't put the price difference between carts and discs in your mouth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of course not, money is filthy. People put the it in their rear end you know.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't know what to tell you, man. Whether it's the "whole" enchilada as far as gameplay goes or just a part of it, or whether the onboard storage space is large or small, it doesn't have to be this way and as long as it exists, I'm going to see it as one of the industrys' negatives whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo as a platform.

it isnt that way on the other platforms. you can play your games entirely offline with no issue. the only current example of this happening is with lego undercover on the switch. if you have a separate and unrelated issue with things like patches and mandatory installs on sony and microsoft platforms perhaps you are better off going to the threads for those consoles to talk about it, because its an entirely different issue to what is being discussed here.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man it's like people itt are just now discovering that the big third parties are more than willing to gently caress gamers over for a buck

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
If you can play the Lego game, maybe on some smaller play area that is included on the cartridge, then at least the game is partially playable. If you can't even launch the game without the download then we have promleb.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

deadwing posted:

Man it's like people itt are just now discovering that the big third parties are more than willing to gently caress gamers over for a buck

I hope people aren't sincerely wishing for EA to bring their half-baked games onto the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hello, friends. My PS4 is offline, and I'm looking forward to *looks at box* Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5. Trip report incoming!

• Locked thread