Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baron Corbyn posted:

I mean I suppose it's the moral choice not to let someone get murdered in cold blood just because she was an rear end in a top hat.

That's not the crux of the decision.

Sloane is a mob kingpin and someone who knowingly and deliberately pushes highly addictive drugs to create addicts, she is complicit in murders on a regular basis. The real argument for saving her is "the devil you know" basically. She's a horrible fucker, but Reyes shows every sign of being better at the crime syndicate thing than her even if he is less of a giant rear end in a top hat. That potentially makes him dangerous in the long term.

I still sided with Reyes but I can see the argument for Sloane in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, beat the game, also my movie night scene appears to be permanently bugged as peebee and scott fuse together into one awkwardly posed being on the couch. Not sure what's wrong there but it's kind of.. distracting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sloane is a mob kingpin and someone who knowingly and deliberately pushes highly addictive drugs to create addicts, she is complicit in murders on a regular basis. The real argument for saving her is "the devil you know" basically. She's a horrible fucker, but Reyes shows every sign of being better at the crime syndicate thing than her even if he is less of a giant rear end in a top hat. That potentially makes him dangerous in the long term.

I think Reyes is actually sort of trying to do good, and has a decent incentive to do so as several very powerful and connected people, and the world's most powerful AI, know who he is. I do like how they set up that scene to the point where the "shoot" choice is actively in defense of the rear end in a top hat character.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Well, beat the game, also my movie night scene appears to be permanently bugged as peebee and scott fuse together into one awkwardly posed being on the couch. Not sure what's wrong there but it's kind of.. distracting.

I think Reyes is actually sort of trying to do good, and has a decent incentive to do so as several very powerful and connected people, and the world's most powerful AI, know who he is. I do like how they set up that scene to the point where the "shoot" choice is actively in defense of the rear end in a top hat character.

I think so too but there is evidence for and against. Probably the only moment in the game where you can say he's definitely being sincere he states that his motivation is to BE someone after all. The fact that there's no really firm ground to trust him on is what makes it a good choice. Gamble on uncertain change that might not even be change at all or stick with the devil you know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I think so too but there is evidence for and against. Probably the only moment in the game where you can say he's definitely being sincere he states that his motivation is to BE someone after all. The fact that there's no really firm ground to trust him on is what makes it a good choice. Gamble on uncertain change that might not even be change at all or stick with the devil you know.

Well I really saw the choice more as Mass Effect 1's Shadow Broker vs Immortan Jill. One of the two factions was beating the everloving poo poo out of Angarans for having the audacity to live on their own planet. The other faction gave me whiskey.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Maybe killing both of them would be the best option.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Skellybones posted:

Maybe killing both of them would be the best option.

Nah. That'd just turn Kadara full Lord of the Flies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, you're saying there need to be a few more murders, right?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

my initial expectation was a choice between Sloane and sending in Initiative special forces and causing a bloodbath with the long term consequences of maybe restoring order.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The game doesn't do a good job setting up the power difference between the Initiative and the Exiles. I assume the Initiative is supposed to be the larger and better equipped faction but it doesn't come across that way in game. Speaking of which, does that Exile settlement on Eos that you hear about just before you fight the Architect ever come back up? I'm pretty sure I went everywhere there is to go on Eos and I never saw another settlement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This game has some amazing Kett snipers. drat hiding up in the hills and two shotting me.

This is nuts.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow the Elaaden's vault is the worst. I can do Sudoku puzzles but the puzzles in that vault were just a pain in the rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Jeez, all asari really do have the same face.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rinkles posted:

Jeez, all asari really do have the same face.

Check out this racist

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far this game seems like a slightly crappier ME1 with the overarching gameplay of DAI.

That's fine I guess. The setting alone is enough that I'll probably play it through to the end (assuming I don't get utterly burned out on the open world crap like I did in DAI and almost every other similar game ever).

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

So far this game seems like a slightly crappier ME1 with the overarching gameplay of DAI.

That's fine I guess. The setting alone is enough that I'll probably play it through to the end (assuming I don't get utterly burned out on the open world crap like I did in DAI and almost every other similar game ever).

Having finished the trilogy prior to ME:A coming out. No. Just no. This is not like a slightly crappier ME1. I don't even understand what metric you're measuring here to say that. VA is mostly better, faces were poo poo in that game too. Cross-talk was almost non-existent and the "open world" was utter bullshit. So no. This is not a crappier ME1. That's your nostalgia talking.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Drifter posted:

I'd just buy it.

Also, I've been experiencing the infinite length reload bug. restarted and tried to reload my most recent last two saves (the only two I've got) and it's the same thing. I'm currently alt-tabbed out waiting and hoping.

Also again, I seem to be dying an AWfUL lot as an awesome biotic. The pistol doesn't do poo poo. I may need to get back a shotty or sniper rifle and take the recharge length hit. Having onyl 1 defense and two attack biotics is sorta hard. Throw, Singularity, and the shield guy. Maybe I should dump singularity since it takes forever to reload. Pull will probably be easier.

Have pistol and sniper (widow 3) and only at -10% which isn't too bad.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Which gender VA is the least worst? Any obvious QoL things to know before I start?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Eugh, there's a glitch when you die during the last part of Vetra's loyalty mission. You get stuck in a room with no exit.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Drifter posted:

Man, I am right there with you. I was an Adept POWERHOUSE in the previous mass effect games, and here I got fuckin' nothing. The most effective way to kill things is to shoot them with a sniper rifle, but that's not fun.

That engineering build posted earlier (thanks, isk, and whoever wrote it originally) is the key. It turns out recharge time is the trick in this iteration of the series. In 3 you just needed to carry light weapons to get a massive cooldown bonus, and could dump all points into damage increase. In this one, you can't get better cooldown reduction than 100% from weapons alone. That threw me off, because I assumed that 100% cooldown would therefore be effective. If you put points into cdr and gear up for it, you can definitely throw out plenty of damage. Speccing both Incinerate and energy drain to both set up and detonate combos pretty much means that you can just use whatever is on cooldown for a combo, and something is always on cooldown. It's still not -quite- as much damage as a series of headshots, but it's a lot more reliable on moving and close targets, and much easier to pull off on the move.

The lance/annihilation/charge combo is effective, but still doesn't have the ME2 feel to it on account of no range, so I'm going to use the above method with throw and shockwave - both of which can be specced to setup and detonate combos - and see how that feels. Shockwave has always felt like a poo poo skill to me for being so slow and relatively close-range, but gently caress it, I'll give it a shot.

I'm just pumped knowing that I have more options than just headshots for everyone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Having finished the trilogy prior to ME:A coming out. No. Just no. This is not like a slightly crappier ME1. I don't even understand what metric you're measuring here to say that. VA is mostly better, faces were poo poo in that game too. Cross-talk was almost non-existent and the "open world" was utter bullshit. So no. This is not a crappier ME1. That's your nostalgia talking.

I'm not talking in terms of visuals or the minute to minute gameplay. Both games introduced a new setting, and from what I've seen so far ME1 handled its worldbuilding an storytelling better. The best things from MEA so far are the species and concepts taken from the original game.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Arkitektbmw posted:

You're right.

ME1 had a compelling antagonist, for one!

I guess that makes it... a much crappier ME1? Or maybe just a not very good game.

VV Edit: I think this is the crux of the problem. ME1 had Saren, who was interesting, Sovereign who was intimidating and the Geth who were alien and weird. This game just has the Kett, who fail to pull of any of those convincingly. I'd be like if ME1 had no Saren and no Reapers, just the Geth, except the Geth talk to you and act just like cliche evil dudes rather then something alien and inscrutable.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Steve2911 posted:

I'm not talking in terms of visuals or the minute to minute gameplay. Both games introduced a new setting, and from what I've seen so far ME1 handled its worldbuilding an storytelling better. The best things from MEA so far are the species and concepts taken from the original game.

I think the Angara are pretty well fleshed out as a race.

Pity about the Kett, and about the lack of anything else aside from some robots.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the Angara are pretty well fleshed out as a race.

Pity about the Kett, and about the lack of anything else aside from some robots.

Yeah true. ME1 just threw so many cool ideas and races at the player from the word go. The first trip around the Citadel, just casually seeing poo poo like the Elcor and Hanar and each having a fleshed out story, that was great. MEA had the opportunity to do that all over again by pushing a giant reset button but chose to just not bother.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Jeza posted:

Which gender VA is the least worst? Any obvious QoL things to know before I start?

I actually really like Sara's voice actor. It's (perhaps by design) really similar to femme Shep. It almost sounds like she listened to Hale's performance and mimicked it at points.

QoL:
* Research is the scarcest resource. Minerals/crafting materials are so abundant that I've sold thousands at a time without second thought, but I'm still regretting spending even just a few hundred research early in the game to try out weapons because I thought it'd be abundant.

* Crafting is all about augmentations, and if you disassemble gear that you've made you get the augmentations back, so don't be afraid to use your best stuff early on. You can always pull it apart and put it into something new.

* Don't recruit a second strike team until your first strike team is powerful enough to do silver/gold missions. There are rarely multiple bronze missions available, and when there are, they stick around long enough for one team to get to all of them. Leveling a single team up at once is much more valuable than having two teams.

* Probably don't get OCD about finishing everything on a planet before moving on. You continue to get missions on all planets throughout the entire game.

EDIT: And not QoL, but definitely get the 'reveal hidden caches' perk.

Duder X fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 28, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MoaM posted:

Eugh, there's a glitch when you die during the last part of Vetra's loyalty mission. You get stuck in a room with no exit.

Got that same glitch. And then I got a glitch where the colonists would not move after me into the safe area, so I had to skip that solution.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Duder X posted:

I actually really like Sara's voice actor. It's (perhaps by design) really similar to femme Shep. It almost sounds like she listened to Hale's performance and mimicked it at points.

QoL:
* Research is the scarcest resource. Minerals/crafting materials are so abundant that I've sold thousands at a time without second thought, but I'm still regretting spending even just a few hundred research early in the game to try out weapons because I thought it'd be abundant.

* Crafting is all about augmentations, and if you disassemble gear that you've made you get the augmentations back, so don't be afraid to use your best stuff early on. You can always pull it apart and put it into something new.

* Don't recruit a second strike team until your first strike team is powerful enough to do silver/gold missions. There are rarely multiple bronze missions available, and when there are, they stick around long enough for one team to get to all of them. Leveling a single team up at once is much more valuable than having two teams.

* Probably don't get OCD about finishing everything on a planet before moving on. You continue to get missions on all planets throughout the entire game.

EDIT: And not QoL, but definitely get the 'reveal hidden caches' perk.

Cheers buddy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

I think that the first few hours, before the combat "clicks" with you (because it is awkward at first), when the world is being introduced slowly and painfully, there's too much walking and loading and the inventory screen is literally the worst thing you've ever seen definitely smack of ME1. And it doesn't help that the game liberally takes story cues from the entire series (and pop culture in general).

Later on it definitely evolves into more than just "Rehashed ME1", but it borrows way too much from DAI. The first thing to be jettisoned should have been the salvage poo poo.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

You're right.

ME1 had a compelling antagonist, for one!

I guess that makes it... a much crappier ME1? Or maybe just a not very good game.

VV Edit: I think this is the crux of the problem. ME1 had Saren, who was interesting, Sovereign who was intimidating and the Geth who were alien and weird. This game just has the Kett, who fail to pull of any of those convincingly. I'd be like if ME1 had no Saren and no Reapers, just the Geth, except the Geth talk to you and act just like cliche evil dudes rather then something alien and inscrutable.

"compelling antagonist" and "Mass Effect 1" are a bit of a stretch.
Go play it again, and take off the rose tinted glasses, the main antagonist is Saren and there's almost nothing "compelling" about him.
His story gets more interesting later with expanded universe stuff and story stuff that is never really expanded early on, but in Mass Effect 1 a lot of the backstory and padding around his character didn't exist yet so there was just a hard landing of a guy doing evil things in a fancy spaceship.

Duder X posted:

QoL:

I really don't mind the FemRyder voice, but the character shits me. For a character to be that glib that quickly is a little jarring.

There is no cut off point for quests (although, ideally you'd probably want to have done all of the allies + relationship quests before you embark on the final set of quests, which is like 2 hours long).
The "gain more research" perks are quite handy.
Several of the "AVP perks" require you to have raised viability on certain planets (the second upgrade of the increased inventory space perk requires at least 70% viability on ?Kadara?).
Get the speed/torque upgrades for the NotMako, skip pretty much all of the rest. Agility mode does literally nothing.

I can't think of anything else.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone had any weapon crafting successes worth sharing yet? Was thinking of an assault rifle with double mod slots and vintage heat sink and a b-widow with double mod and sticky grenades?

Anyone else made they really like?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schlesische posted:

Go play it again, and take off the rose tinted glasses, the main antagonist is Saren and there's almost nothing "compelling" about him.
His story gets more interesting later with expanded universe stuff and story stuff that is never really expanded early on, but in Mass Effect 1 a lot of the backstory and padding around his character didn't exist yet so there was just a hard landing of a guy doing evil things in a fancy spaceship.
I agree for the most part but the bit with Sovereign on Virmire is one of the best bits of the franchise.

McGiggins posted:

Anyone had any weapon crafting successes worth sharing yet? Was thinking of an assault rifle with double mod slots and vintage heat sink and a b-widow with double mod and sticky grenades?

Lemon King posted:

Still need to fill out my remaining mod slots.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Valkyrie with homing plasma shots. Killed Remnant like there was no tomorrow.

I later made a better Valkyrie with vintage heat-sink and double mod slots, which was bad until I added and extended clip and upgraded my Assault Rifle level. Then it was... still pretty bad, but good in a pinch.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

McGiggins posted:

I never found the grenade augments to be worth it because you lose penetration. Black Widow with 4 kinetic coils (or 3 and a heat sink) and double mod slots is insane though. The one I have does 1501 per shot. Add in tactical cloak and it's one shot one kill on most things. If you want to go pure fun though stick the charged plasma/grenade augment on something fully auto with a high fire rate.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 28, 2017

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Dude, I replayed it like two weeks before this came out. I mean, Shakespeare it isn't but he actually has a personality, which is a hell of a lot more then you can say for the Archon. You can sum up Saren's character in a sentence, sure ("Rogue space-cop who's helping the bad guys out of a misguided desire to save non-humans from the Reapers"), but you can sum up the Archon's in a word. "Megalomaniac." That's it, his entire thing. To make matters worse it's just about the most overrused personality ever for a villain, to the point where all but the most shlocky media try to pair it with at least one other characteristic. He's not smart, or funny, or honorable, or deceptive, or intimidating, or even all that cruel. He doesn't have any humanizing features, or memorable traits, or even a good line or two. Literally his entire personality is that he wants to use the Remnant artifacts to become a god, and his every interaction with EVERYONE is "Obey me or die." That's kind of different from 'a character whose backstory could have been fleshed out more in the game itself.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Duder X posted:

The biggest difference is that Sarah seems to always be a bit of a dork, and I mean that in a good way. Things like her little fist pump "Yes! Uh... important pathfinder business, people to save!" after Suvi says she thinks Sarah is cute, too, and Sarah geeking out over ancient ruins buried in the ice. Maybe it's because I've almost always taken the gear icon responses, but Sarah in my game has been coming across as a better Peebee than Peebee as an adventuring archaeologist who's out to see the galaxy's wonders.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far Sara's never been much of a hard-arse or mean, she just seems nice and slightly overwhelmed all the time.

My first memory of Femshep is the way she told Joker she didn't want him to infect the crew with his disease.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The planets you can colonize are pretty disappointing.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Serf posted:

The planets you can colonize are pretty disappointing.

Thats basically the plot yeah

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I would be ok with a Mass Effect game that where very good but only 15 hours long. The way this game extract 70 hours of playtime is with filler and filler on top of filler.

I have really fond memories of the Mass Effect games, I would love if they make another Mass Effect, but instead we have this MEA thing that seems to be DAI in science fiction pants with ackward controls and ackward UI.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In theory, I would not mind a game that delivers on ME1's promise of a journey across unexplored worlds.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Should I be saving up research to spend on anything specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

In theory, I would not mind a game that delivers on ME1's promise of a journey across unexplored worlds.

Captain Blood and Commander Blood did this. Too bad modern gaming is all about brand recognition and the Blood games are unrecognizable by modern gamers.