Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

Anybody dying to the angels just boggles my mind. It took like ten seconds of observation to figure out how to deal with them. Their first two shots are slower and have less beams, they're easily rolled through with minimal damage. After that they go nuts and will just spam dozens of beams and you will die. But you should never have to be out of cover for longer than two shots, even if they spot you the second you break cover.

As for getting rid of them, don't people play online? All their true bodies had like 50 messages leading to them for me.

Getting lost in Dreg Heap is shameful too, Gael has like a billion dev messages showing you the way. Y'all need to read messages!

Just got past the fatty staircase and the big hammer invader down in the city and this is the most fun I've had with Souls yet. Loving it.
For the first one, maybe. But the cover in and around the swamp is definitely too spread out to always get around without getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

(Just got to Ringed City) Jesus, the guy that summons ghost archers actually respawns? That's such a gently caress you move. Whatever happened to non-respawning minibosses like DS1?

e: At least the next bonfire is close nearby.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 28, 2017

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
forgot i had the season pass ehehe nice

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Leaving thread until I can jump into the DLC a bit. Godspeed, brothers!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, uh, this is new. Fighting Vordt he just launched me through a wall when he died and I fell through the map to my death.

EDIT: Coolio I got the credit for the kill because it took me a few seconds to fall to my death.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 28, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Item stuff:

There's an item on a branch right in front of the Earthen Peak Ruins bonfire. How do I get that? I've looked all over the Earthen Peak area but, can't find a way to get up to anywhere near it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So just some thoughts on some enemies:

I think having the angels and the summoning giants was a bit much. I managed to figure out the angels on my own, but even then I'm not super sure I understand the "correct" way to deal with the second - I felt like I only managed to get to safety thanks to lots of hp and roll spamming. But yeah, having the first section after the first boss basically be another "move from cover to cover to take out the enemy safely" was kinda not great, even if it was totally cool to see. Also it seemed like he was spawning alternating sets of archers when I got to the close cover, making it really hard to find an opening, and summoning archers when you're in melee just seems dickish, again the only way I managed to deal with it was roll spam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how long is the dlc all in all? Same length as Ariandel? Does it answer anything in particular, like about the untended graves or Ludleth or anything?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

So how long is the dlc all in all? Same length as Ariandel? Does it answer anything in particular, like about the untended graves or Ludleth or anything?

Unsurprisingly, no, and I don't feel bad about not putting that behind spoiler tags. Little Ludleth is going to remain forever a mystery I guess. Length-wise it's a bit longer than Ariandel, about the length of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs. It also will probably take you longer because it's jam-packed with new enemy types.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Item stuff:

There's an item on a branch right in front of the Earthen Peak Ruins bonfire. How do I get that? I've looked all over the Earthen Peak area but, can't find a way to get up to anywhere near it.

Move towards the angel, then take your first right, it looks like a deadend but you can walk up onto the branch

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Rusty Brown's Ringed City

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Stormgale posted:

Move towards the angel, then take your first right, it looks like a deadend but you can walk up onto the branch

That worked, thanks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
First boss was a little rough and tumble for me. Playing a Pyromancer (SLvL 102 I believe for the fight) my go-to spells all did diddly-squat so I had to rely on Dark Orb and Onyx Blade to carry me through P1. In P2 even Dark damage takes a huge hit and those didn't work either so I had to resort to grabbing a Raw weapon (just infused a CCS) to deal damage. Took me a while but was pretty fun. Got the Prince down on my 4th attempt on him, he's honestly quite easy once you know the melee-demon routine as long as he doesn't do his 'gently caress-you' big demonball attack a la Demon King's meteor-rain. Only stuck with melee attacks against me on my kill.

I've no idea where to go to open the Inner Wall shortcut/get to the loot on one of the bridges above 'gently caress-you giant hollow road' and I only killed off one angel so I'm thinking of doing some backtracking and search for those now that I'm at the Shared Grave. Not sure I wanna test that direction right now...

E: anyone got an opinion on first boss transfusion for a Pyromancer? Is the spell worth it compared to the Orbs or Vestiges? I don't really care about PvP so much, just for PvE.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Boss stuff:

I can see FROM still has not figured out how to make dragon fights good.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011
Something I noticed fighting against the first boss: it seems like the moveset of the Demon Prince is decided by which demon you kill last: killing the Demon from below last means the Demon Prince will use mostly melee, while he uses a lot more ranged attacks if you kill Demon in pain last.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Unsurprisingly, no, and I don't feel bad about not putting that behind spoiler tags. Little Ludleth is going to remain forever a mystery I guess. Length-wise it's a bit longer than Ariandel, about the length of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs. It also will probably take you longer because it's jam-packed with new enemy types.

Oh. :(

Well at least it's not another three hour thing.

I saw a couple of the spoilers and saw that a level is Earthen Peak Ruins. Is...is the elevator still there?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 28, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

First boss was a little rough and tumble for me. Playing a Pyromancer (SLvL 102 I believe for the fight) my go-to spells all did diddly-squat so I had to rely on Dark Orb and Onyx Blade to carry me through P1. In P2 even Dark damage takes a huge hit and those didn't work either so I had to resort to grabbing a Raw weapon (just infused a CCS) to deal damage. Took me a while but was pretty fun. Got the Prince down on my 4th attempt on him, he's honestly quite easy once you know the melee-demon routine as long as he doesn't do his 'gently caress-you' big demonball attack a la Demon King's meteor-rain. Only stuck with melee attacks against me on my kill..

Doing it as a sorcerer is almost as bad. You can wreck the first two demons pretty easily with soul spears, but they barely scratch the Prince. I had to let Lapp tank for me a bit, but even then the prince could just eat 5-6 ashen estus worth of high level spells. Using the Aquamarine Dagger as my new melee weapon was also a mistake, but I made through.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw a couple of the spoilers and saw that a level is Earthen Peak Ruins. Is...is the elevator still there?
no but cheap nuker pyromancer ladies are!

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Play up through the second bonfire/sunbro'd up to the first boss last night, general impressions:

Goddamn everything there hits like an entire convoy of trucks. I'm not sure how much of this is a result of being on NG+4 while not being particularly good at the game though.
The level design is a lot different than usual and pretty interesting. Lots of different and neat encounters.
The general mobs up top whose names I can't remember are neat, that first big swarm was a cool 'oh poo poo' moment, and I got caught off guard the first time one pulled me into the floor.
The fatties have a ton of HP and can almost one-shot me, which is nuts. They're fun to fight, especially the second encounter when they slowly introduce other enemy types to keep track of.
The first encounter with the angel was great. Intimidating and unique, it felt like playing a cover-based shooter. gently caress everything else about them, though. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention because I didn't make the connection between the slimy thing and the angel disappearing, which made the swamp absolute hell.
The two Lothric knights in the church were pretty tough but really fun to fight. Not exactly a new enemy or anything but I love fighting them.
I was so pumped to see a Dark Souls 2 location make a return. I noticed the windmill first, though "Oh poo poo, that looks like Earthen Peak!" Then talked to the NPC who mentioned a poison swamp at the base of it, thought "Oh poo poo, that sounds like Earthen Peak!" Then I decided to rest at the bonfire, and though "Oh poo poo, that says Earthen Peak!"
That said, it's a shame they brought back loving Earthen Peak instead of one of the more interesting DS2 locations (literally any other one).
gently caress the swamp angels. The tracking is absolutely insane, there's not much cover, and the recharge between shots is so short I can't even make it up the branch without getting shot (oh and also each shot takes about 1/3 of my hp whatup). Super satisfying to kill the slimy slug things at least.
First boss[es] looked neat, but the host died pretty quickly so I didn't really get to fight them before I went to bed.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Be bonfire to get to the dlc isn't spawning for me:confused:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh.. The PvP boss sure is something, huh. I lucked out and got an easy kill on my first try but now I'm trying to do the opposite and some people have to be cheating. Two people now have killed me in literally three hits, one of them was a halberd. And the amount of players who just t-pose around and take no damage. Or the people with multiple phantoms who can stun lock you to death.

I mean, it's not exactly news that Dark Souls PvP is hilariously bad.. But to make a boss out of it is the most mind-boggling decision ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Be bonfire to get to the dlc isn't spawning for me:confused:

make sure you actually have the map downloaded

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fuuuuuuck friede third phase is Bull. It's sad, I really like her moveset, but the damage and pacing is just unfair.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's.... It's gonna take like 30 of these covenant items to get the rewards isn't it? Is there a list of what you get from it yet? I kinda hope there's nothing I want because I'm not sure I can take this. I already feel awful :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If there's one thing the developers have realized thanks to the Maria fight in Bloodborne, it's that enemies rising into the air, staying there for a split second, and then diving at you with cool flaming particle effects is the hypest poo poo in the world.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

More boss stuff:

I don't think you can cut off the tail. I did over 2000 damage to it and it didn't fall off

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

huh I'm near the end of Earthern Peak and haven't noticed any NPCs or angel corpse things yet. Maybe I shouldn't play when tired. What NPCs have I missed?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

So here's something I guess a lot of people haven't noticed, regarding the earthen peak area: The only thing down in the poison bog area are items and stuff, you never HAVE to go down there at all to progress. If you're getting wrecked constantly by the obnoxious-rear end angels like I was, you can just run the gently caress by without ever actually going down into that hellhole. Explore straight forward from the bonfire, instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

So here's something I guess a lot of people haven't noticed, regarding the :siren: earthen peak :siren: area: The only thing down in the poison bog area are items and stuff, you never HAVE to go down there at all to progress. If you're getting wrecked constantly by the obnoxious-rear end angels like I was, you can just run the gently caress by without ever actually going down into that hellhole. Explore straight forward from the bonfire, instead.

might wanna spoiler that :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I got the rank 1 reward (it went surprisingly fast, but now I feel bad) and it looks like it only applies to when you're the boss?

If so that's super cool. It means I can completely ignore this covenant :haw:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The elevator is still there as a massive hole leading to the boss. Wait and see where it takes you this time! :shepface:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm not too down on the DLC so far. I already know the last boss is bad but it reminds me a lot of BB's DLC and I'm having fun exploring. It's not Dark1 DLC but it beats Dark2's out.

Edit: aaaaaand second boss I find is an RNG battle. Lovely.

Azuth0667 posted:

Boss stuff:

Larger-than-life encounters are their bane because anything not Artorias gets poo poo on. Some ancient thing so huge and powerful it will casually destroy you isn't beatable, so no matter what you do everyone rolls their eyes. If you constrain it in some way (Dragon God) then everyone cries about it being a puzzle boss. If you give it a quest-ey mechanism to weaken it (Kalameet) then everyone says it's dumb.

Again, that's one of the reasons why Bloodborne was awesome - they did a bunch of weird stuff without the internet furiously mashing out tweets about how That's Not Souls.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 28, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weeping Wound posted:

The elevator is still there as a massive hole leading to the boss. Wait and see where it takes you this time! :shepface:

I'm slightly disappointed now that the true final boss of the series won't be the elevator leading up to a Smelter Demon punching you in the face.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What a lovely conclusion to Dark Souls.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Frankston posted:

What a lovely conclusion to Dark Souls.

Yeah. Fight some guy and, uh, commission a painting if you can be bothered? That's really it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

personally I was hoping for a free-fall battle with Gwyn and Manus (attacking each other like in the Abyss Watchers fight) as we plummeted into the Darksign Sun, with Aldia booming "beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of dark... what could possibly await us?" and then when you strike the final blow you fallthrough the Sun which reveals itself on the other side to look like the Hunter's Moon and you land in Yharnam transformed into the first Moon Presence

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The final boss should be a giantdad coldclocking you, taking the Dark Soul, and leaving.

e: This unlocks the secret true ending, where after beating the Soul of Cinder the giantdad returns, lays you out again, and leaves with the first flame and also the firekeeper.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 28, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Mailer posted:

I'm not too down on the DLC so far. I already know the last boss is bad but it reminds me a lot of BB's DLC and I'm having fun exploring. It's not Dark1 DLC but it beats Dark2's out.

Edit: aaaaaand second boss I find is an RNG battle. Lovely.

Larger-than-life encounters are their bane because anything not Artorias gets poo poo on. Some ancient thing so huge and powerful it will casually destroy you isn't beatable, so no matter what you do everyone rolls their eyes. If you constrain it in some way (Dragon God) then everyone cries about it being a puzzle boss. If you give it a quest-ey mechanism to weaken it (Kalameet) then everyone says it's dumb.

Again, that's one of the reasons why Bloodborne was awesome - they did a bunch of weird stuff without the internet furiously mashing out tweets about how That's Not Souls.

The problem with large bosses is hitboxes and large arena's that might seem good in practice but, instead turn boss fights into 5k marathons where you play run for 30 seconds just to hit the weak spot once.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Guess who got the final boss down to one hit on the first attempt :smug:

and died :shepface: I almost hope there's a third phase, although considering the last DLC maybe this one actually has 4 or even 5 phases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would have been disappointed if I had to fight those jerks Gwyn and Manus again. Instead, I'm looking forward to fighting the true spirit of Dark Souls, GUTS