Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Health at every atmospheric pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone see anything painfully wrong with this Asp Explorer build?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0phthFhlhdhsmf50t0t17172d2d030l03024f042v0k292i2g.AwRhrSu8JI==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Asp%20Explorer%20All-Rounded

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just worked my way up to Imperial Duke, and I have about 275M liquid cash on me. I also have a fully-fit Type-9 I'll just sell off to pay for upgrades to my iCutter. Imperial decadence here I loving come.

Never not A-grade your power distributor, it's the sole most important component for any ship that you even think it might see combat. It's also usually the cheapest component on your ship. Case in point, your 4C distributor costs about 70K; the 4A model costs 400K, and when we're talking about a ship whose hull cost is about 6M, that should really be no issue. Especially seeing how you have two C2 beam lasers on your ship - beam lasers are super distributor heavy and will drain that sucker in a couple of seconds. Consider further modifying your distributor with the Charge Enhanced engineer mod, or going with C1 beams and C2 missiles. (The only difference between a C1 and C2 missile rack is the ammo capacity, you get twice the ammo bin for C2s).

That said, I'm always a little bit leery about the idea of a combat Asp, but that looks like a solid workhorse ship for its price range. There's plenty of room for upgrades, once you have the funds, but nothing that immediately jumps at me as 'wrong'. I wouldn't take it to a HazRES, but it seems to me you should be able to follow along most types of missions and fight off the occasional pirate with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Never not A-grade your power distributor, it's the sole most important component for any ship that you even think it might see combat. It's also usually the cheapest component on your ship. Case in point, your 4C distributor costs about 70K; the 4A model costs 400K, and when we're talking about a ship whose hull cost is about 6M, that should really be no issue. Especially seeing how you have two C2 beam lasers on your ship - beam lasers are super distributor heavy and will drain that sucker in a couple of seconds. Consider further modifying your distributor with the Charge Enhanced engineer mod, or going with C1 beams and C2 missiles. (The only difference between a C1 and C2 missile rack is the ammo capacity, you get twice the ammo bin for C2s).

That said, I'm always a little bit leery about the idea of a combat Asp, but that looks like a solid workhorse ship for its price range. There's plenty of room for upgrades, once you have the funds, but nothing that immediately jumps at me as 'wrong'. I wouldn't take it to a HazRES, but it seems to me you should be able to follow along most types of missions and fight off the occasional pirate with it.

This is really awesome feedback, thank you. Yeah, I was just trying to build something that is decent for flying around doing random things, nothing super combat-heavy. I actually haven'y done any combat since I started the game, just the tutorials. I should probably take some time to outfit an Eagle or something and do that.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Some points, before I fall asleep:

1. Have a look at D rated modules instead of C for weight saving.

2. There's a new version of the coriolis website at coriolis.edcd.io

3. Splash out 1.5M on advanced disco scanner.

4. Use multicannnons on small hard points.

5. Why bother with AFMU? Are you planning to go inside neutron star beams?

E: go D rated apart from the important stuff, as was mentioned. Sorry for the curt reply. I'm on my phone when I should really try and sleep.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 27, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

apropos man posted:

Some points, before I fall asleep:

1. Have a look at D rated modules instead of C for weight saving.

2. There's a new version of the coriolis website at coriolis.edcd.io

3. Splash out 1.5M on advanced disco scanner.

4. Use multicannnons on small hard points.

5. Why bother with AFMU? Are you planning to go inside neutron star beams?

E: go D rated apart from the important stuff, as was mentioned. Sorry for the curt reply. I'm on my phone when I should really try and sleep.

1. Didn't realize there was a time where a lower "quality" module was better, thanks for the tip.

2. Thanks for this. I had no idea about the updated one, was just Googling "Elite Dangerous Ship Builder."

3. Okay! Seems useful, haven't done too much discovery.

4. I was trying to avoid using too much with ammo in-case I wanted to do some exploration, but I guess it's no different than missiles. Thanks!

5. I picked the AFMU because I have heard that while exploring you might end up taking hull damage for a dumb reason and may want to be able to repair while out in the boonies.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Internet Explorer posted:

1. Didn't realize there was a time where a lower "quality" module was better, thanks for the tip.

2. Thanks for this. I had no idea about the updated one, was just Googling "Elite Dangerous Ship Builder."

3. Okay! Seems useful, haven't done too much discovery.

4. I was trying to avoid using too much with ammo in-case I wanted to do some exploration, but I guess it's no different than missiles. Thanks!

5. I picked the AFMU because I have heard that while exploring you might end up taking hull damage for a dumb reason and may want to be able to repair while out in the boonies.

Can't repair hull with the AFMU, only modules...

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

The Asp is surprisingly feisty but not an all out killing machine. Nevertheless if you have 4 multicannnons on those small hard points it's a load of fun.

I found my loadout that I took on a 5kly trip at the weekend:

https://eddp.co/u/fsF5UuQq

I stripped the weapons but left shields. Even with moderate shields and a bit of care when flying there's no need for an AFMU.

Did you outfit a vehicle hangar and srv? It's a great laugh bouncing around in the srv and you can start collecting engineering materials. See:

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

And start by gathering stuff for Felicity Farseer to get some extra range in your FSD. You can quite easily get 40ly jumps in an engineered AspX and that sort range opens up the game for you in the early days, when you are still finding stuff out and zipping around everywhere.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Can't repair hull with the AFMU, only modules...

Hmm... maybe it was recommended for modules that got damaged, but if it can't repair canopy and can't repair a power plant, I'm not sure how useful it is.

apropos man posted:

The Asp is surprisingly feisty but not an all out killing machine. Nevertheless if you have 4 multicannnons on those small hard points it's a load of fun.

I found my loadout that I took on a 5kly trip at the weekend:

https://eddp.co/u/fsF5UuQq

I stripped the weapons but left shields. Even with moderate shields and a bit of care when flying there's no need for an AFMU.

Did you outfit a vehicle hangar and srv? It's a great laugh bouncing around in the srv and you can start collecting engineering materials. See:

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

And start by gathering stuff for Felicity Farseer to get some extra range in your FSD. You can quite easily get 40ly jumps in an engineered AspX and that sort range opens up the game for you in the early days, when you are still finding stuff out and zipping around everywhere.

Thanks for this info. I hadn't even looked at the whole engineering thing and wasn't quite sure what a vehicle hangar and SRV got me. Guess I'll be swapping the AFMU out for this!

Thanks again everyone, you guys are awesome. And the people in the Diamond Frogs Discord are also awesome for putting up with my dumb questions.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Here's a quick version of what I run for hauling cargo around in the bubble; https://eddp.co/u/ERcPXbM6 (although I have engineering mods on mine).

6 missiles will cost you money to rearm but is probably about the best you can do for a combat asp.

Also, go to the PGS thread and get on discord.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Other than some very specific ships that shine at multirole, you want to fit for a role and go all the way. Combine too many and you'll get something really bad at all of them. The asp is a great explorer and long distance trader...refitting some optional internals between each is easy. Add combat to that and it starts to suffer. If you want a fighty ship in the same general price point and size, the vulture is your star.

I will 2nd discord. It is a fun and happening place :frogbon:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Does anyone see anything painfully wrong with this Asp Explorer build?

Yeah, that you're trying to do everything with it and all of it badly. This build is an absolute trainwreck.

1) You've got the cargo tonnage of a Cobra 3, which you could buy and A-rate for the hull price of the Asp never mind the amount you splashed on your shield.

2) You've got scanners but not the good scanner, in fact you've got arguably the worst scanner. The Asp is famous for its jump range and you're running a C FSD putting you at less than 20, no Asp should ever be going less than 20. Your reason for the AFMU, which you don't actually know what it does, is that you're planning to go deep-space exploring with a 17 ly jump range and no SRV, and also you don't actually know what the hazards you're bringing the AFMU to deal with are. Reconsider.

3) It's already been pointed out but C-rated modules do nothing for you other than suck. If you don't need them to be good then grab Ds for the light weight, if you do need them to be good then get an A, they're the same weight as C and E, much better and I mean you can clearly afford it.

4) As far as your defenses go, you've got a hull reinforcement taking up an internal and weighing you down but haven't touched the armour that has its own dedicated slot. Running a 6A shield is a nice try but it's still giving you garbage shield power so it's sort of wasted. Weapon loadouts are generally subjective but your weapons are somehow objectively awful. All your small weapons are fixed forward, on a ship which is best described as a flying brick in absolute optimal conditions and is never in a million years going to be able to line up a shot with C-rated thrusters. The beam turrets are somehow even worse, with huge power requirements draining your C-rated capacitor and doing reduced damage to show for it. Even when they hit something they're just not going to get results.

5) The point defense is pointless because nothing outside a warzone (and me if I catch up with you and you're still flying this) uses seekers, and if you're taking this into the middle of a war you have bigger problems. All your small weapons are fixed and that's just never going to work in a fight, the Asp is far too sluggish to ever line up a shot. The beam turrets are somehow even worse from how much power they draw and how little damage they do for it. The KWS is also pretty pointless considering this thing's worthless in combat. The heat sink is fine, heat sinks are great.

So just about the only things you did unequivocally right is that you're using a heat sink. Everything else, total bust.

The Asp is a multirole ship because it can do any one thing reasonably well. Some madmen even take it into fights. You've got the idea into your head to get something that "can do everything" together and I don't know, somehow assumed that meant it all had to be half-assed? That's the only explanation I can see for the intermediate scanner. Do one thing at a time and focus on it. If you want to fight, get better weapons, armour and especially thrusters and distributor. If you want to trade, a 5C bi-weave will be way better for you than a 6A, and that opens up your biggest slot for cargo, along with your other slots which you should also use mostly for cargo. If you want to explore, for god's sake use the only scanner worth using and get an A-rated FSD. Actually, for the love of God just get an A-rated FSD no matter what you're doing.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I've flown my AspX with weapons, and I've flown it without weapons. Honestly, right now my AspX is weaponless and I don't miss them.

Shields are nice on an AspX but I think of them more like a bumper than anything. Save your 6s and 5s for some budget-appropriate mix of cargo/passanger/fuel scoop.

For the love of God A-rank anything that isn't explicitly D-ranked for better range.

The AspX in my reality isn't a combat ship at all, but optimally a fast passanger ship, a good explorer (until the upcoming DBX buff), or an okay cargo runner. Of anything you can be doing in Elite, blowing people up calls for a dedicated blowing people up ship more than any other activity calls for specialization.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Multi-role just doesn't work in this game.

You're better off fitting multiple ships or at least keeping multiple sets of fittings for one hull around.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

If you ABSOLUTELY want to run an ASP-X as a complete jack-of-all-trades, put down $27M and do this. It's got a hair under 30ly max jump range, and does everything the ship you posted does, but better and at less cost.

You COULD go for an A-class power plant if you wanted to eke out about 1/2 ly max jump range at the cost of another $3M, but the above build has the ability to do everything exploration-wise, should be able to take on any AI ships its own size or lighter, can do mid-capacity hauling missions, and you can swap out one or both cargo racks for passenger racks if that floats your boat. You're going to spend a lot of time refueling, though, so if you've an exploration focus you may want to switch the scoop slot with either the shields or cargo bay depending on whether you're more inclined to hunt ships or haul poo poo.

Basically, treat it like a beefier Cobra, and don't even THINK of attacking a Vulture with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and for being a condescending dick about it at the same time. Super appreciated.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Any time cupcake.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Knifegrab posted:

I've been trying to bounty hunt in Lidpar but everytime I go to a resource extraction zone there are either beefy dudes crushing me who are PVP (and I won't leave open fite me) or the few wanted ships get destroyed by others so fast!

why the gently caress are too playing in open? :laffo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On paper the Asp Explorer is a good combat ship. 6 weapon mounts, better internals than lower tier fighters, etc. Stats are quite decent.

In reality the poor acceleration and woeful lateral thrusters & retros mean even with dirty drive upgrades it kind of wallows about while you're trying to hug a target. Not to mention you can't avoid incoming fire with your two story flying brick.

By all means put guns on it if you feel you want them but make them engineered lightweights and nothing else to help alleviate the burden.

Unfortunately you can't lighten the 4 resistant enhanced shield boosters you'll want for a direct fight.

Flipside: you can fully load and military armor your Diamondback Scout and maybe lose a light year range once you're done engineering things. Which is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Engineer question because I haven't done any of it yet. If I have an engineer modify say... my FSD. Is that drive permanently modified and if I want to try and roll the dice again I need a new one, or can I keep re-rolling the same drive?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Akion posted:

Engineer question because I haven't done any of it yet. If I have an engineer modify say... my FSD. Is that drive permanently modified and if I want to try and roll the dice again I need a new one, or can I keep re-rolling the same drive?

You can keep re-rolling but have to take all of a roll, can't pick and choose the good parts so rerolls could potentially be worse. Now that module storage is a thing, you really only need one of each FSD well engineered since they're easy to swap between ships. I have multiples because :effort:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

You can keep re-rolling but have to take all of a roll, can't pick and choose the good parts so rerolls could potentially be worse. Now that module storage is a thing, you really only need one of each FSD well engineered since they're easy to swap between ships. I have multiples because :effort:

Cool. I just got the stuff for my first FSD thing from the Farseer lady. Trying to eke some more jump range out of my Python.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Re: Asp talk - happily it's free to store the bits for things you're not focusing on at the moment, and a not terrible fee and wait to get components to wherever you are so you can cheaply refit. Even once you're at the python and anaconda level, where you'll have enough space to do things as well as an asp can focusing on something, you'll still be doing things at a subpar rate to offset the insurance risk you take on flying on of those big mothers.

If you want to fight, I'll second the vulture love, and you can transfer ships like you can transfer components, though watch that you need a shipyard for it. So you can asp about, find a place you want to tear up, and summon your vulture to hurt people with!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

why the gently caress are too playing in open? :laffo:

Its turn out we're a much browner sea.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Akion posted:

Cool. I just got the stuff for my first FSD thing from the Farseer lady. Trying to eke some more jump range out of my Python.

If you've already got a modded component (like FSD, for example), and you want to try for a better one I find it easier to go to my outfitting screen and completely remove the mod before going back to the engineer screen and rolling for another.

Only do this if you're absolutely sure that your current mod is a bit crappy and you could do better, because you lose the current mod.

I find it easier to read the stats screen on an unmodded module and see what I'm getting during the roll. For some reason if you don't go in unmodded it shows you the projected stats overlayed onto the current stats, which can be confusing if you've already got a mod in place.

I don't think I've explained that particularly well, but you'll see once you start trying to improve an engineer upgrade.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think what you mean is the engineering ui takes the current state of your module as the new centerpoint, so say if you get a near perfect roll and take another try of the same recipe, you'll see a big bar of red representing all the lesser rolls you could have gotten. Note you get the chance to say no to the new probably lesser mod once it's rolled up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Boogalo posted:

Other than some very specific ships that shine at multirole, you want to fit for a role and go all the way.

What are these mythical ships

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

apropos man posted:

If you've already got a modded component (like FSD, for example), and you want to try for a better one I find it easier to go to my outfitting screen and completely remove the mod before going back to the engineer screen and rolling for another.

Only do this if you're absolutely sure that your current mod is a bit crappy and you could do better, because you lose the current mod.

I find it easier to read the stats screen on an unmodded module and see what I'm getting during the roll. For some reason if you don't go in unmodded it shows you the projected stats overlayed onto the current stats, which can be confusing if you've already got a mod in place.

I don't think I've explained that particularly well, but you'll see once you start trying to improve an engineer upgrade.
Gonna have to agree to disagree about removing the mod because your replacement mod is in no way guaranteed to be better and if you do it your way you could be stuck with a completely terrible roll as a replacement with no way to revert to the previous one.

If it bothers you only seeing the incremental improvements maybe you can try to stop looking at the percentages and only look at the numerical values since they're absolute rather than relative?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, it's one of those things that's really not documented that well. Basically while every grade (the letter, E -> A) of an item bumps up the effectiveness of the piece kit - it's about a 20% step up per grade - they also usually have other tweaks to their stats:

E-grade kit is stock. This is what you get when you buy your ship, and the only good thing about it is that it's cheap.
D-grade is lightweight. Besides the usual efficiency boost, this stuff is also about 60% lighter than usual, but the lightweight construction also means the modules' integrity is considerably lower - they have less health and are easier to disable via targeting subsystems. D-grade equipment is usually favored by explorers and traders, who want to maximise their jump range and are unlikely to find themselves in actual combat. D-grade shield cell banks also carry fewer cells.
C-grade is optimised. There's nothing unusual about C-grade kit, but it usually sits at that sweet spot between performance and cost - better equipment is significantly more expensive, and C-grade kit tends to give you a lot of oomph for your buck.
B-grade is reinforced. This grade of equipment weighs up to 60% more than usual, but comes with a significant boost to module integrity - B-grade kit has so much more health, it's difficult to disable, especially when pared with module reinforcement kits. B-grade shield cell banks also carry extra cells when you compare them to the rest of the lineup. Theoretically this stuff makes you more tanky, but the extra mass also makes your ship more sluggish to maneuver, lowers your top speed, and decreases your frameshift range - be warned.
A-grade, finally, is high performance. This type of kit is simply superior to the previous grades, but is also much, much more expensive.

Note that some kit is an exception to this - refineries and fuel scoops, for instance, are effectively weightless so better grades are simply more powerful. Weapons, also, sit outside the grading system - the letter grade of a gun is simply a relative comparison of its firepower compared to other guns of its class. A C1E fixed pulse laser is a class 1 fixed pulse that does slightly less damage than a C1D fixed burst laser, period - there aren't any C1A fixed pulses.

Now, despite what some people will tell you, you can get a perfectly serviceable ship with D- and C-grade equipment. A lot of the people here have ground up bazillions of credits and they obviously don't need to worry about not A-grading everything. However, the two components you want to aim at getting to maximum rating are your power distributor, which is cheap and directly makes you better at everything (more weapon energy before you run out, more juice for your afterburner, more energy to regen your shields off of) and your frameshift drive, just because traveling around in a short-jump ship is a complete pain in the rear end.

That said, while you can fit a ship to do a little bit of everything, you probably shouldn't - if you're heading out to explore, you won't really need hull reinforcement packages, if you want to trade you want a big cargo hold instead of a max-class shield generator. The strength of the Asp-E hull is that you can fit it to do anything, not everything. Pick a thing you want to do right now and fit towards that - if you want to explore, go with D-grade kit, fuel scoops, scanners, SRV bays, maybe an auxiliary fuel tank. If you want to trade, again, D-grade equipment, big cargo holds, and so on and so forth. You can just store the modules at a starport and swap things around as you need to.

Oh, and if you do want to try your hand at combat flight, consider getting a second ship, like a, Eagle, Viper-3, Diamondback Scout, or a Vulture if you can afford one. The Asp-E has a lot of hardpoints and can hit pretty drat hard for a medium ship - if you can hit your target - but it's a big target that isn't really tanky or agile enough for a sustained fight. Think of it more as a long-range ship that can fight off the occasional sole attacker - if you actively go looking for trouble, you probably want to get an actual pair of shitkicking boots to do that in.

Edit: One of the things that makes the Asp-E so flexible is the fact that it can accept so many different kinds of shield generators. The stock shield generator is class 5, which is more or less serviceable. Upgrading to a class 6 makes you more tanky, but sacrifices most of your internal space (I tend to prefer to run a single C6 cargo hold in mine, which gives me 64 tons of cargo space). Hell, if you're going for a dedicated trader or explorer build, you can even downgrade to a C3 shield generator - the generator is just powerful enough to function with an Asp. At that point anything halfway resembling a directed assault is going to pop your shields, but it's still perfectly enough to neutralize damage from docking mishaps and the like and it frees that C5 slot for something like a bigass fuel scoop or aux fuel tank. Or more cargo space for a trader Asp.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Trip Report: X52 owns bones. :pcgaming:

Upgraded from (in hardware terms) an ancient Logitech Sidewinder, so this was long overdue and the first "quality" stick I've owned. I was nervous about the switch to fly-by-wire, since the force-feedback was always great for ~muh immersion~ but this is much more precise. I can actually do the interdiction mini-game instead of struggling endlessly! Buttons galore, I rarely need to take my hands off of the darn thing. Ordered off Amazon on Saturday night, arrived Monday morning (yay prime :toot: ).

Pros
  • Looks just like the virtual cockpit :yayclod:
  • Sturdy, despite the plastic design on the regular version (you can replace the plastic with metal in the Pro version for ~$50USD)
  • Adjustable throttle resistance
  • Adjustable hand-rest on the main stick so Whopper Jr Customers/DJ Trump can reach the secondary hat switch
  • LEDs can be dimmed/turned off
  • Detachable suction cups
  • Super easy to setup for Elite: X52 default controls included in game settings
  • Throttle has a built in clock (no more converting from GMT!)

Cons
  • Detents in the throttle are annoying
  • The safety switch isn't a switch: very disappointed I can't deploy hardpoints just by flicking that up
  • The pinky trigger only works in-game if I have the joystick properties/calibration window open in the background, more bizarre than detrimental since it still works
  • The software defaults certain buttons to double as mouse buttons, but that can all be unbound in the software so really nbd

I said I was going to put away the Corvette, but it's much more fun to murder people with a proper control scheme...the ol' Bananaboat will have to wait. :ninja::hf::black101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 28, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Drake_263 posted:

B-grade is reinforced. This grade of equipment weighs up to 60% more than usual, but comes with a significant boost to module integrity - B-grade kit has so much more health, it's difficult to disable, especially when pared with module reinforcement kits.

If beta.coriolis is accurate, it's not much tougher than A-rated. Turns out integrity is lowest at E and goes up from there; a class 8 power plant had 180 integrity at B, and 165 at A. There's rarely ever any reason to use anything but A or D for core internals.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sard posted:

If beta.coriolis is accurate, it's not much tougher than A-rated. Turns out integrity is lowest at E and goes up from there; a class 8 power plant had 180 integrity at B, and 165 at A. There's rarely ever any reason to use anything but A or D for core internals.

Aside from, you know, A-grade kit costing 5-10 times the credits B-grade does.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cons
  • The pinky trigger only works in-game if I have the joystick properties/calibration window open in the background, more bizarre than detrimental since it still works

There is a way to enable the pinky switch somewhere in the joystick software. IIRC it's either an option called Clutch or something like that in the settings, or something you need to unbind in the profiler.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm proud to announce that I managed to land my iClipper on a planetary body for the very first time and I only just barely glanced a hill on the final approach.

"Warning. Increase altitude-" thunk

Rectus posted:

There is a way to enable the pinky switch somewhere in the joystick software. IIRC it's either an option called Clutch or something like that in the settings, or something you need to unbind in the profiler.

Disabling the 'Enable Clutch Mode' toggle in the joystick control panel (under the MFDs tab, for some reason) unlocks the clutch button - that's the small round thumb button with the rotary ring around it on the throttle lever.

To unlock the pinky trigger on the joystick, you ned to go into the joystick profile editor. Open the control profile, put it into grid mode. Every column on the grid is a mode, and by default, the pink trigger is a mode switch, kind of like a shift button. Just delete all columns that use the pinky trigger and that should unlock it.

Also, deleting the 'mouse 1' bind from the little button next to the nipple stick on the throttle unlocks the button. Haven't yet figured out how to bind the nipple stick, though.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Knifegrab posted:

(and I won't leave open fite me)

What's your CMDR name

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Trip Report: X52 owns bones. :pcgaming:

Upgraded from (in hardware terms) an ancient Logitech Sidewinder, so this was long overdue and the first "quality" stick I've owned. I was nervous about the switch to fly-by-wire, since the force-feedback was always great for ~muh immersion~ but this is much more precise. I can actually do the interdiction mini-game instead of struggling endlessly! Buttons galore, I rarely need to take my hands off of the darn thing. Ordered off Amazon on Saturday night, arrived Monday morning (yay prime :toot: ).

Pros[list]

[*] Detents in the throttle are annoying

Detents are very easy to remove and you should do it ASAP. All you need is a screwdriver and pliers, pliers aren't strictly necessary but make it easier because detent is covered in lubricant and is slippery. I've seen goons post in this thread how they owned an X52 for a year and still complain about detents which is baffling.
I used this guide but there are many others on the internet.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115981

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have an x65 rather than x52, but what I did was I set up my bottom detent to be at 50% throttle (so neutral if you have full -100 - +100 set in options). This owns, because to reverse I just pull the throttle back fully and if I want to stop, I stop at the detent.

That said, on x52 you'd need a huge deadzone to set this up cause IIRC the detent range is huge? Dunno if it can be adjusted or just removed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's a guide floating around somewhere to opening up the x52 throttle and physically removing the detent. It's surprisingly easy as long as you have a screwdriver that can reach into the screw holes.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mercurius posted:

Gonna have to agree to disagree about removing the mod because your replacement mod is in no way guaranteed to be better and if you do it your way you could be stuck with a completely terrible roll as a replacement with no way to revert to the previous one.

If it bothers you only seeing the incremental improvements maybe you can try to stop looking at the percentages and only look at the numerical values since they're absolute rather than relative?

Echoing this. "Cleaning the slate" before re-engineering a module is a really ungainly, counterproductive idea. Just learn to read the relative or absolute values; know where you're at, and what you're aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trustworthy posted:

Echoing this. "Cleaning the slate" before re-engineering a module is a really ungainly, counterproductive idea. Just learn to read the relative or absolute values; know where you're at, and what you're aiming for.

Yup. Being able to directly compare your rolls to what you have installed is critical.

I don't know why anyone would ever remove an upgrade first unless that's some kind of sacrificial offering on the altar to the RNG gods.

In which case go nuts of course.

• Locked thread