Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rinkles posted:

Jeez, all asari really do have the same face.

There are two asari faces: PeeBee's, and Lexi's. PeeBee's is unique. Lexi's is not.

Just a reminder that every Mass Effect game up until this one has had unique faces for most NPCs. Even salarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

About the ending - Am I right in that there is no good/bad/best ending, just one ending? I finished with all planets 100% but only like 3 loyalty missions completed, and everybody lives, there is no downside. Is there a better ending?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pattonesque posted:

There are two asari faces: PeeBee's, and Lexi's. PeeBee's is unique. Lexi's is not.

Just a reminder that every Mass Effect game up until this one has had unique faces for most NPCs. Even salarians.

Like what the gently caress happened, Bioware? Stuff like this and the facial animations aren't an oversight or bug. There must've been something seriously hosed during the production of this game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

canepazzo posted:

About the ending - Am I right in that there is no good/bad/best ending, just one ending? I finished with all planets 100% but only like 3 loyalty missions completed, and everybody lives, there is no downside. Is there a better ending?

Afaik if you don't have all pathfinders, Captain Dunn dies when the Hyperion crash lands

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pattonesque posted:

They didn't have that many have more faces in the other 3 right? The random Asari had like 3 or 4 faces, I think.

graventy posted:

Should I be saving up research to spend on anything specific?

For augments the only ones I really think is worth it are the Shield Oscillators and Vintage heat sink. The grenade ones are fun but will reduce weapon range significantly. To fully upgrade everything to level 10 in Milky Way research costs about 25000 research points and it's about 10000-15000 for the other two. Unless you cheat you really do have to pick one or two weapons and a set of armour that you're going to stick with for the whole game.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Pattonesque posted:

I never understood why they have unique faces in the first place. I thought they only project their looks by some biotic space-magic anyway as was hinted at when multiple alien species argue why anyone but their race would find asari sexy when they look so much like their own specific race. So I always wondered why they not all (try to) look like your perfect mate. Humans of course try to gently caress anything that looks vaguely human, so maybe humans are the ones that get to see their actual faces.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Like what the gently caress happened, Bioware? Stuff like this and the facial animations aren't an oversight or bug. There must've been something seriously hosed during the production of this game.

I have pulled a theory from my rear end:

Theory #1: "Change engine syndrome", after half the game was done, they decided to change to a new engine, the change introduced bugs, made half the content obsolete and crete unexpected problems, unbalancing the whole project.

Paradox seems the only multiplayer map they made for the new engine, because is ages better than the others in lighting, flow and visuals. Is too bad we don't get destructibility with the new engine. MEA multiplayer with explosions destroying stuff would have been amazing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

One thing I kinda liked from a lore perspective re: krogan colony When being asked to give up the drive core, SAM immediately speaks up saying this will end badly if you do. The previous games always spent so much time saying why the genophage was bad and feel bad for the krogan and much less time on why it had to be done to begin with in that the krogan turn into crazy murderous assholes as soon as things are going their way. I felt pretty happy with the choice that I could deny them the core instead of just being touchy feely and help all the krogan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

I never understood why they have unique faces in the first place. I thought they only project their looks by some biotic space-magic anyway as was hinted at when multiple alien species argue why anyone but their race would find asari sexy when they look so much like their own specific race. So I always wondered why they not all (try to) look like your perfect mate. Humans of course try to gently caress anything that looks vaguely human, so maybe humans are the ones that get to see their actual faces.

Fake news.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
I feel like combat would be 10x more fun if switching favorites didn't put your abilities on cooldown. I really don't get the reasoning behind it, like they don't want the player to just spam powers? I mean why not? It'd be more fun and really wouldn't make things that much easier. I can charge every 2 seconds, I'm invincible as it is, just give me some variety for god's sake!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They didn't have that many have more faces in the other 3 right? The random Asari had like 3 or 4 faces, I think.

They had enough so that I didn't immediately notice it. Shoot, they even have THREE for Matriarch Aethyta depending on how drunk you are and that's a throwaway joke

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
It certainly seems like, in both Inquisition and Andromeda, Bioware was struggling against what the Frostbite engine is designed to do and what they wanted it to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pinely posted:

It certainly seems like, in both Inquisition and Andromeda, Bioware was struggling against what the Frostbite engine is designed to do and what they wanted it to do.

Andromeda is on another level, and wasn't their first Frostbite game like Inquisition.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can you imagine how much better this game would be if they cut out all the open world stuff entirely? To keep the gorgeous planet aesthetics you could just get dropped in for missions and drive along a cool preset scenic path.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
unfortunately open wrlds can be stretched out by collectibles and fetch quests since longer game time = better value for ur money

More = more in the heart of gamers everywhere

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

unfortunately open wrlds can be stretched out by collectibles and fetch quests since longer game time = better value for ur money

More = more in the heart of gamers everywhere

It's also simply the most popular genre.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can you imagine how much better this game would be if they cut out all the open world stuff entirely? To keep the gorgeous planet aesthetics you could just get dropped in for missions and drive along a cool preset scenic path.

I really hate corridor shooters (BY FAR the worst part of 2 & 3 imo), but I think a happy medium could have easily been reached between that and and what we got.

What bugs me most is the poo poo like mining, I started using cheat engine to develop weapons (because the stats on weapon creation are misleading at best and bugged at worst) and that made me realize how much pointless busywork the whole mining minigame is. Couldn't they have put the resources spent on that towards something that's actually, y'know, fun or interesting?

VV: The writing for the companions is definitely the best aspect of the script, in fact I'd say it's probably the best it's been in the series.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 28, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I have to say, I'm not wowed by the character writing so far but the ambient conversations between Drack and Vetra are pretty :allears:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
it really seems like bioware didn't hav one queen to overlook all the writing passes and make sure they were tonally and quality consistent. there's good writing in this game, or at least writing that stands up 2 original mass effect days, but too often it seems like sum junior writer was allowed to scribble watever they wanted wit little oversight

but it also seems like the overall tone they were going 4 was whedonesque so they were hosed from the start

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Some quality of life Opinions:

Hold off on crafting guns/armor unless you have one you REALLY like. Most guns and outfits are available as drops or for sale, and credits are easy to come by, so field test a weapon before you decide to supe it up.

Many colonies have R&D sites near forward stations. That's the best place to craft if you ignore my last point and want to save scum testing weapons (I wish there was a firing range).

Craft or buy upgrades for the Nomad. You'll spend a bunch of time in it and you can make it go faster, boost longer, survive more small arms fire etc. I think the Nomad is a victim of RPGs "things needs to get better" syndrome so it starts out kind of milquetoast. And then people play it and decide it sucks and being in it sucks. An upgraded Nomad is pretty fun to drive around and you can boost over ridiculously steep mountains.

Don't bother scanning planets unless you are craving for a chill space screensaver experience. The minerals from the "massive mineral deposits" that you find on scan are the same as you'll find on one or two mineral nodes on planet and less than you'll find with your mining computer. Do scan the system anomalies that Suvi calls out.

When planet mining, there are a bunch of elements that are rarer than others (Vanadium, Eezo, Platinum, maybe Titanium?). Prioritize those over the other more common elements, even if that means lower lines on the mining chart. You'll find a lot of the other stuff in crates, and it's easy to buy.

If you hate planet mining, you can just turn on the computer when in a zone and drop drones when the lines go up without bothering to find the perfect spot and you'll do decently. There are a lot of mining zones.

I regret taking the market upgrades that give you regular money. You get lots of money pretty quickly. If I had to do it over, I'd get the research income first.

If you hold off on crafting weapons for a bit, do some Nomad mining/take the Cryopod upgrades/deconstruct your unwanted weapons and armor, you'll find you never really need to think about specific resources and you generally have enough.

When walking around, you don't need to scan as much as you might think you do. The game does a pretty good job of prompting you when there is something worth scanning nearby.

The game also does a pretty good job of distinguishing main plot from major from minor from busywork ("tasks") in the quest journal. Especially on Eos. On later planets, sometimes seemingly minor quests will evolve into unexpectedly great chains. This is both wonderful/delightful and infuriating because now I'm doing smaller quests I might have ignored 'just in case'.

E: Oh! Because it took me awhile to work this out. Weapons, armor, and mods take up inventory space. Nothing else does. So you can hoard augments and resources without worry. You just need to clear our your gun collection from time to time.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh wow, Voeld Angaran doctor, you say your people are suffering and just bitch at us for not having anything to help you?

If only we had a genetically-engineered compound capable of sealing and sterlizing wounds and broken bones that worked cross-species and is so amazingly useful the Citadel Counc had no choice but to exempt it from their millenia-old ban on genetic engineering. Oh wait, even Ryder's shrugging his shoulders at this so I guess the writers forgot about Medigel too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Dang, looks like I can't convince some dumb bastards from the Nexus to move to Voeld without messing with Remnant stuff to warm the planet up. Did every other sidequest available on the planet and it's at 39%. What's the matter, folks not want to live someplace where -30 Celsius is considered warm?

You get habitability from main quests as well. I got the planet over 40% without activating the vault. The I established the outpost. But the game kinda assumes that I did do the vault. The temperature within outpost grounds (still outside, not in the buildings) is in the acceptable range. And when I scan Voeld from orbit it says something like "outpost xxx was established after the vault was cleared and the planet is heating up". I didn't get to play more, first thing I will do today is doing the vault to check if this results in a game breaking bug.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Rinkles posted:

Fake news.

Really? I might misremember that interaction, actually I'm not even sure if it was ME2 or 3 where I overheard it. But than, i was never really big on the ME lore, as it's not really that great to begin with. Or to be more precise, it felt great when it was all still a big mystery, but somehow it got more boring and meh the more they fleshed out the details as they progressed through the Storyline of the trilogy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

In theory, I would not mind a game that delivers on ME1's promise of a journey across unexplored worlds.

Nomad's Sky

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Who are the best companions to bring to the architect fights?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DO IT TO IT posted:

None or I guess Liam and Jaal since they slightly better at dealing with the remnant spawns. Your companions are there to distract some enemies from shooting at you. They're not actively useful.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I would say any that are good at removing shields or armor. And who can survive for the longest. Either Cora buffing your shields, or Vetra soaking damage for sure. After that I'd possibly get Drack so he can go around burning down nullifiers and surviving the carnage.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DO IT TO IT posted:

Smith & Wesson

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Just a random tip for those experiencing lots of bugs, make a new save each time you save and don't overwrite old ones.

Various junk has led me to believe that this game has the same issue as Skyrim or Fallout, wherein there's some cross-talk between different world states and saves (starting a new ME:A game after you loaded one in a play session can gently caress up quest staging for the new game, for example)

I haven't gotten any of the doubled people or areas with wrong staging bugs and I've been doing this the entire game. Could be nothing and I'm just lucky though.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 28, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, Voeld Angaran doctor, you say your people are suffering and just bitch at us for not having anything to help you?

If only we had a genetically-engineered compound capable of sealing and sterlizing wounds and broken bones that worked cross-species and is so amazingly useful the Citadel Counc had no choice but to exempt it from their millenia-old ban on genetic engineering. Oh wait, even Ryder's shrugging his shoulders at this so I guess the writers forgot about Medigel too.

It might have to be given calibrated data to work on races it hasn't been tested on yet.

But yes, we DO have medigel and I doubt it would take several years or even months to test on a population riven by war and conflict.

Edit: I know it is an entirely pointless bother by myself because it exists for gameplay purposes, but finding Alliance boxes of heatsinks, powercells and medigel down in unopened Remnant vaults bothers me in a way finding medkits in the original Doom's hell levels does not.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the game devs forgot about the most inconvenient science-fiction elements of the original Mass Effect. Medigel is one, but also the whole "weapons need no ammo, only a way to dispel heat" thing.

The game tone in the original Mass Effect where optimist, while MEA have a tone of "post-apocalypse failed picnic" where a family decide to travel to the country to have a day sleeping in a tent, and they forgot to charge the iphone battery.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Feindfeuer posted:

Really? I might misremember that interaction, actually I'm not even sure if it was ME2 or 3 where I overheard it. But than, i was never really big on the ME lore, as it's not really that great to begin with. Or to be more precise, it felt great when it was all still a big mystery, but somehow it got more boring and meh the more they fleshed out the details as they progressed through the Storyline of the trilogy.

From what I remember that asari thing was an elaborate fan theory that got spun out of that one (obviously comedic) ambient conversation. I don't think there's any evidence it was ever intended to be part of the lore.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Haledjian posted:

From what I remember that asari thing was an elaborate fan theory that got spun out of that one (obviously comedic) ambient conversation. I don't think there's any evidence it was ever intended to be part of the lore.

And there goes literally the only thing I liked about the asari.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evilmiera posted:

It might have to be given calibrated data to work on races it hasn't been tested on yet.

But yes, we DO have medigel and I doubt it would take several years or even months to test on a population riven by war and conflict.

Edit: I know it is an entirely pointless bother by myself because it exists for gameplay purposes, but finding Alliance boxes of heatsinks, powercells and medigel down in unopened Remnant vaults bothers me in a way finding medkits in the original Doom's hell levels does not.

Really they should've just brought back the old-style heatsinks as the main version instead of as an augment, because why wouldn't you take weapons with nigh-infinite magazines into a whole new galaxy with resupply issues?

God knows they've dragged out just about everything else from the original Mass Effect without looking at what got changed for the sequels. Or why those changes were made.

Haledjian posted:

I think the way to take it is different species look at different aspects of the Asari. Maybe the Turians go nuts for the scalp tentacle things that look kinda like their own head-spines?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Haledjian posted:

It was originally meant to be nothing more than a funny conversation about how different species focus on completely different aesthetic qualities of the Asari but then people extrapolated it to the craziest possible end point.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

In my game, Drack charged the architect on Voeld and tried to melee it, so I recommend him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It was originally meant to be nothing more than a funny conversation about how different species focus on completely different aesthetic qualities of the Asari but then people extrapolated it to the craziest possible end point.
But what does their milk taste like to different species?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Hulk Krogan posted:

In my game, Drack charged the architect on Voeld and tried to melee it, so I recommend him.

Sounds like I need to bring Drack then.

I'll go with Vetra too, since she's so durable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crack and vetra only 2 good companions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I don't get mining with the nomad. I put down a thing and... do I automatically collect resources over time? How do I know when I get them? Where to do it? Uh...