Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I mean they're not going to stop making the games that made them go from niche to AAA developers so there's not too much to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time for Evergrace 3.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harrow posted:

Actually Dark Souls 2 is the worst Dark Souls but 3 isn't too far above it imo. 3 wins out over 2 for me because I think it feels better to play and has better individual levels.

I also agree. DS2's design to me feels like a kaizo romhack, where in Mario they throw tons of invisible blocks to screw you over, DS2 has similar 'gotchas' playing off what you would do applying DS1 strategies. There's also just far too many places where they throw a bunch of enemies at once at you without really giving you good ways to deal with them. What I've seen of SotFS looks even romhackier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SotFS is a miserable experience and that's coming from someone who played DSII for like 100+ hours. It's a shame too because there's probably a great game you could carve out of DSII by removing like half of the stuff they put in it and replacing most of the base game with the DLC areas.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Scott Pilgrim's story is like 60% homage to River City Ransom and Ranma 1/2, both things I loved as a kid/teen, and yet I still didn't much care for the comic at all. The characters just weren't very likeable.

That's because the other 40% that is not an RCR homage is garbage.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think the DS2 DLC has some of the best bosses in the game, but bar none some of the worst areas in the game too. (Iron Passage, Frigid Outskirts)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Controversial opinion: Fume Knight is a grossly overrated boss. Yeah, he's tough, but that's all he is. The atmosphere is nonexistent. His story isn't all that great and it doesn't even really come across during his fight anyway. Also "Fume Knight" is a silly name.

Sir Alonne is a much better boss from the same DLC but everyone loves Fume Knight for some reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe I would have actually fought that boss if it didn't involve running past a bunch of loving Alonne knights in dream world with a time limit to try again.

edit: Like I chose that DLC first because of Fume Knight, had fun with that, and then that boss run for Sir Alonne straight up made me stop playing the game entirely. I had enough of that bullshit from the lava castle area whose name I can't remember at the moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No argument there, the run-up to Alonne was bullshit. The boss himself was awesome, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Those multiplayer balanced passages were a phenomenally bad idea

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also yeah Sir Alonne was way better, but also 75% of bosses in DS2 is "large knight with an even bigger sword" so I couldn't even tell you who the hell fume knight was and only remember alonne because of the run up

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Found a good deal on Craigslist to buy Horizon Zero Dawn for $30. They also have Watchdogs 2, Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Any of those worth $30?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uncharted 4 unless you've played the others and hated them, though I dunno if $30 is good for a game that came out a year ago anymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While I'm griping about games I otherwise enjoy:

Why the hell is the Earth Sage in Wind Waker a bird and the Wind Sage a loving tree person? Like, I get it, the Rito evolved from the Zora, but the Zora are significantly more aligned with water than earth. If it had been a Water Sage and a Wind Sage, okay, then I'd get it. Or even like a Fire Sage and a Wind Sage or just literally any other element but earth. Just like switch Makar and Medli's dungeons and it'd make a ton more sense :psyduck:

Anyway that's inconsequential as hell and Wind Waker is still my personal favorite Zelda so y'know

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

UC4 is cool if you like the whole Tomb Raidery formula, which you probably do since you're buying Horizon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Found a good deal on Craigslist to buy Horizon Zero Dawn for $30. They also have Watchdogs 2, Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Any of those worth $30?

Mankind Divided on PS4 supposedly has really bad performance issues? It wasn't well received anyways, Human Revolution is amazing and you should play that instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Why would Ritos evolve from Zoras in a world entirely covered in water?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

DXMD is not worth your time or money. Watchdogs 2 I can't say but if you're going to buy one open world game in Horizon then I'm not sure if WD2 will offer anything else, though it's an improvement over the first. Uncharted 4 is pretty good if not boring towards the end; also its multiplayer is actually really fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In Training posted:

Those multiplayer balanced passages were a phenomenally bad idea

Everything about the gank squad "bossfight" and the run-up to it :gonk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also while I'm nitpicking Wind Waker: hoo boy that is not how conducting works. I kinda get it if Link's using the baton to tell the wind to play certain pitches but sometimes he has to conduct people playing real instruments and that just definitely isn't how it works at all

I'm in a weird posting mood right now.

Franchescanado posted:

Why would Ritos evolve from Zoras in a world entirely covered in water?

"The goddesses did it." Specifically, they didn't want the Zora to stumble on flooded Hyrule so they turned them into birds so they couldn't. It's, uh, a flimsy justification :v:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 28, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dark souls 2 is good and its weird that they threw out all the good combat changes for 3

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is Dark Souls 3 not worth playing? It sounds like a lot of people are really critical of it.

Its the only Souls game I haven't touched yet. I liked the rest but after Bloodborne I got a little burnt out on the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

So is Dark Souls 3 not worth playing? It sounds like a lot of people are really critical of it.

Its the only Souls game I haven't touched yet. I liked the rest but after Bloodborne I got a little burnt out on the series.

Don't listen to the crazies in this thread, it's way better than DS2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It's worth playing and good. I don't like it as much as other games in the series but it's better than 2 and definitely still a very good game.

Being critical of games is just one of the ways I enjoy them apparently

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dark Souls 3 is my least favorite souls game.

Dark souls 3 is really good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"worst souls game" != "bad game"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I feel like DS1 is clearly the worst of all of them, but since most people played it repeatedly before the other games they give it a pass. It's still insanely good but it has some really bullshit parts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It does, but I think the newness of its setting and the quality of its atmosphere and worldbuilding make it better on the whole. DS2 stumbles on atmosphere, level design, and boss variety, and DS3 tries too hard to be DS1 again and lacks interesting world design or exploration.

Though of the three "new setting" games in the series, Dark Souls is my least favorite. I like both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne better.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dark Souls 1 is a flawed masterpiece, and From could not replicate it with the sequels.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
More like dork souls

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Dark Souls 1 were just everything up to and including Ornstein and Smough + the Painted World + Artorias of the Abyss it would easily be my favorite game in the series. Unfortunately everything else in there I kind of don't like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

If Dark Souls 1 were just everything up to and including Ornstein and Smough + the Painted World + Artorias of the Abyss it would easily be my favorite game in the series. Unfortunately everything else in there I kind of don't like.

I really love the second half of that game because it was a cool "oh man there's still 4 whole worlds out there" when I first played it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think there's a natural human tendency to wanna categorize everything but the huge irreconcilable differences people apparently have between Souls games never felt relevant to me. They're all like variations on a theme and are mostly the same games, closer than most sequels tend to be to their source material.

Btw if anybody knows how to fix my computer crashing to a black screen every time I exit DS3 please let me know so I can finish it!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly the solution is to never exit Dark Souls 3 and play the game until you beat it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're not getting the full Souls experience if you can't say "this is bullshit" and quickly alt+f4 before the YOU DIED screen comes back up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the next From Software game is designed by Hideki Kamiya and your character has a bazillion moves, fights against a cosmic upside-down kingdom, and runs at 60fps on consoles. The Enigmatic Darkbloode, coming 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I love dark souls 2 and think it's more fun than 1

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Also while I'm nitpicking Wind Waker: hoo boy that is not how conducting works. I kinda get it if Link's using the baton to tell the wind to play certain pitches but sometimes he has to conduct people playing real instruments and that just definitely isn't how it works at all

I'm in a weird posting mood right now.

"The goddesses did it." Specifically, they didn't want the Zora to stumble on flooded Hyrule so they turned them into birds so they couldn't. It's, uh, a flimsy justification :v:

OoT zoras are freshwater fish, it's only in bizarroland MM that they can handle saltwater

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

I hope the next From Software game is designed by Hideki Kamiya and your character has a bazillion moves, fights against a cosmic upside-down kingdom, and runs at 60fps on consoles. The Enigmatic Darkbloode, coming 2018

cool, then the dark souls team can make a Castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DS3 also had maybe the worst online since the two area covens didn't work and the game would heavily prioritize games where the host has a phantom already summoned. That plus the hornet ring instant kill means that every pvp fight was the exact same one people figured it out.

• Locked thread