Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

For real though I think transhumanism is great. But just the kind where you upload your consciousness​ to a computer. Because it's like the transporter problem from Star trek but way more obvious.

It kills you dead do billionaires should do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but a key difference I'm seeing is that the movement here is to get the Dems themselves to adopt UHC and $15 whereas with the Tea Party it was to fight Obamacare etc, and the GOP just happily took in that tumor and called it its own

I wish more town halls of Dems getting saucy questions and booed would get played because they ARE happening. My own Senator is eating poo poo not for supporting Gorsuch, but for not opposing him enough

UHC not going to happen for at least a couple of decades. We're still arguing over Obamacare and people actually LIKE that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

For real though I think transhumanism is great. But just the kind where you upload your consciousness​ to a computer. Because it's like the transporter problem from Star trek but way more obvious.

but then you just end up with an immortal copy of that billionaire

gregday
May 23, 2003

by what mental legal gymnastics is this not obstruction of justice

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Lol how do they not realize how loving bad this looks

In the private sector it's a hell of a lot easier to shut people up and Trump clearly does not care that as the President his actions are magnified to a very wide audience who actually care about his what he does now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This was in response to this dumb-even-by-Trump-standards tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/352795564930383873

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

piss boy, manafort, spicers wearin gum jorts
red hat avalanche, alabama chili ranch
maga, emails, power rangers fighting snails
obamacare repeal lol, kushner cuckold
elon musk, James Deen, boston's got a winning team
mr robot, ned stark, joseph joestar, marky mark
richard spencer, moustache, stephen miller, bash the fash
pigman theft, planet's effed, so much for the tolerant left

chorus

what the gently caress why hasnt every post since this been an emptyquote of this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Epic High Five posted:

well what's your plan? support only a third party and end up with loonies forever like in Maine?

it's not my job to come up with a plan, I'm not a lobbyist for the health insurance industry. but I strongly believe that constantly voting for centrist bullshit Dems isn't gonna get it done

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

i accidentally hit myself in teh nuts everyday in public and ppl laugh. little do they know is that i do it on purpose

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

After the upload, getting told that they don't have resources anymore and we're storing them on this 3.5" floppy out of the good of our hearts

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/846570769698181120

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Looks like we are not moving on after all

https://twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/846726512233664513

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/846727244752064513

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Lol how do they not realize how loving bad this looks

Odds on it looking less bad than it is. It looks hella suspect, but actual confirmation of what people are openly speculating now would be so much worse.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Serf posted:

but then you just end up with an immortal copy of that billionaire

an immortal copy that isn't a person and has no rights, can't own property, and can be copied/pasted/modified at will :unsmigghh:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRd85tzUF3o

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Truga posted:

most car makers aren't putting nearly enough into electric vehicle r&d to stay relevant once internal combustion goes out of fashion in big cities, which is going to start happening pretty soon, many big cities are already putting heavy restrictions on what you can or can't drive in the city, in preparation of completely removing them.

tesla, on the other hand, *is* ev r&d, and also isn't korean like LG or sarnsung, because everyone knows americars are better than korean ones.

lol no the fact that you think tesla *is* ev r&d is a greatexample of the ~~musk effect~~

tesla has done some actual good r&d but other car companies have been doing good r&d for years too, and are waiting for better market conditions to push their BEVs out more aggressively. currently nobody wants to pay what a good BEV or FCEV costs but the big car companies are still researching lowering those costs and improving range in the meantime because they know it'll be big in the near/intermediate future.

tesla on the other hand had an admittedly clever strategy of making theirs a fancy electric sports car so that really rich ppl would buy it despite the excessive price, but do not let that make you think that they have succeeded where the big car companies have failed - all BEVs still have the same basic problems of being really expensive, short in range (or even more expensive, as in the cas eof the tesla), and slow to charge

kinda like when the prius came out, everyon thought toyota had basically invented the hybrid car, even though there had been very good hybrids for a while already that just weren't as flashy about it

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just lmao if you're still getting haircuts and shaving like a decent human being

Nothing matters, why groom yourself?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I mean a quack that has vats of piss in his backyard is in the conversation to be the nation's top scientist.

This is really putting me into a spiral

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

indigi posted:

it's not my job to come up with a plan, I'm not a lobbyist for the health insurance industry. but I strongly believe that constantly voting for centrist bullshit Dems isn't gonna get it done

Well then push for the change you want lmao don't bitch about Dems from 8 years ago like Chaffetz does

Vladimir Putin posted:

UHC not going to happen for at least a couple of decades. We're still arguing over Obamacare and people actually LIKE that.

Well, thanks to Obamacare we have even blood red states expanding their socialized healthcare programs. Let them all adopt it and then change the messaging to steal their base away from them imho. Obamacare is a mobo with a slot labeled "UHC", it's just a matter of convincing people to buy the card

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

I was listening to Sirius/XM POTUS on my drive home last night and they were interviewing a person who went to rural america looking for Trumpgrets and they found some disabled coal miner on medicaid that couldn't vote for Hillary because she'll (direct quote) "Take my 40 guns".

Now he's mad that Trump would want to cut medicaid.

never speak to me or my large kung fu guns again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

omg

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

looking might guilty there trump

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Add to the list of things that work in ~business~ but not government: you can lie cheat and steal your way to the next quarter report and so long as you make it what you did to get there doesn't matter.

Serf
May 5, 2011

great now i gotta go back to worrying about this poo poo again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cephalocidal posted:

Odds on it looking less bad than it is. It looks hella suspect, but actual confirmation of what people are openly speculating now would be so much worse.

Yates was the one who told Pence about Flynn and would ostensibly date said notice, possibly raising the question of the WH knowingly employing an unregistered foreign agent with clear security risks.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

an immortal copy that isn't a person and has no rights, can't own property, and can be copied/pasted/modified at will :unsmigghh:

i would like to live in whatever better universe you are posting from

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

because wall street is based entirely on bullshit

But will that solve racism?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GobiasIndustries posted:

Haha I missed this from last night.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/846543183223963649
Everything is fine even though I'm predicting our healthcare system is collapsing!

ah yes, the old "I hosed up on closing a deal and am waiting for the other side to settle with me on a worse thing than I wanted in the first place" tactic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

alnilam posted:

lol no the fact that you think tesla *is* ev r&d is a greatexample of the ~~musk effect~~

tesla has done some actual good r&d but other car companies have been doing good r&d for years too, and are waiting for better market conditions to push their BEVs out more aggressively. currently nobody wants to pay what a good BEV or FCEV costs but the big car companies are still researching lowering those costs and improving range in the meantime because they know it'll be big in the near/intermediate future.

tesla on the other hand had an admittedly clever strategy of making theirs a fancy electric sports car so that really rich ppl would buy it despite the excessive price, but do not let that make you think that they have succeeded where the big car companies have failed - all BEVs still have the same basic problems of being really expensive, short in range (or even more expensive, as in the cas eof the tesla), and slow to charge

kinda like when the prius came out, everyon thought toyota had basically invented the hybrid car, even though there had been very good hybrids for a while already that just weren't as flashy about it

aren't toyota like way ahead of everyone when it comes to electric car technology?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Serf posted:

the simple fact of the matter is that no one wants to give americans good health care. any promises to do so by politicians or capitalists are just lies to placate the populace

punchymcpunch posted:

piss boy, manafort, spicers wearin gum jorts
red hat avalanche, alabama chili ranch
maga, emails, power rangers fighting snails
obamacare repeal lol, kushner cuckold
elon musk, James Deen, boston's got a winning team
mr robot, ned stark, joseph joestar, marky mark
richard spencer, moustache, stephen miller, bash the fash
pigman theft, planet's effed, so much for the tolerant left

chorus

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Squizzle posted:

what the gently caress why hasnt every post since this been an emptyquote of this

:3:

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

:trumppop:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

oh, i wish it could be christmas every daaa-aa-aaay~

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but a key difference I'm seeing is that the movement here is to get the Dems themselves to adopt UHC and $15 whereas with the Tea Party it was to fight Obamacare etc, and the GOP just happily took in that tumor and called it its own

yeah but the tumor didnt get absorbed, its still hanging around and killing the host

like the debt ceiling fight is going to be complex for the democrats because the traditionally symbolic no vote can become an actual no vote with enough republican spite

its going to be fun

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also doesn't exist

We should probably try to understand what consciousness is before we discuss making electronic copies of it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

"The first rule of holes is when you're in one, stop digging. When you're in three, bring a lot of shovels." ~ House Republicans

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

Marketing does count though because a car is an expensive consumer product. Nobody wants to spend a lot of money on a product that they don't like or think makes them look stupid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of the fundamental and crushing flaws of the EV market right now is that you have to be in a dense urban center to benefit from them, OR a wealthy homeowner. I know people who talk up and down about how they're the future and blahblah but then I say to them, "I live in an apartment complex, how do I make an EV work for me?" and there's no response

I do believe they're the future, but we have to push for the infrastructure for them to be viable first, but tech companies will skip that part because it means more taxes for them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

alnilam posted:

The Prius was way beaten to market by the Honda Insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also doesn't exist

We should probably try to understand what consciousness is before we discuss making electronic copies of it.

Mind body duality is a lie

• Locked thread