Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gorgo is too good a movie for MST3K, without the saving comedic grace of being bugshit insane like the Finno-Russian entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I finished my rewatch and now I'm mad that there's no MST3K, which I will have to endure for a full two weeks and three days.

Rifftrax?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bride of The Monster is definitely in my top 10. I wonder why they never did Plan 9. Too obvious a choice?

It's such a famously bad movie that the rights are probably worth a drat. RiffTrax would eventually get to it, though.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Gorgo is a fun movie, I don't think it takes itself too seriously and none of the riffs struck me as particularly mean spirited. I thought the scenes of destruction at the end were fun, too.

Gorgo also has one of my all-time favorite host segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8fjM6xrFCA

Samuel Beckett would be proud.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My favorite "surprisingly likable character" has to be Mickey from Prince of Space. Granted that is owed entirely to the vocalization decision to give him a New Jersey Little Rascals accent, but he is probably the only child actor the cast seemed to like when the role was otherwise occupied by annoying shits.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Gorgo is too good a movie for MST3K, without the saving comedic grace of being bugshit insane like the Finno-Russian entries.

Is there a non-joke explanation why Jack Frost is called a russo-finnish movie? I looked it up, and didn't see where Finland would be involved in production. I mean I should really just relax, but I'm sort of curious.

Fun fact: Alexander Rou, a Soviet film director who worked on Jack Frost, was half Irish, which explains his unusual family name, originally spelled as Rowe.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

I finished my rewatch and now I'm mad that there's no MST3K, which I will have to endure for a full two weeks and three days.

Watch the Rifftrax of Roller Gator, "starring" Joe Estevez, for some real Deep Hurting.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Watch the Rifftrax of Roller Gator, "starring" Joe Estevez, for some real Deep Hurting.
There is nothing enjoyable about RollerGator, even with Rifftrax trying its hardest to make it funny. It's my only truly regrettable Rifftrax purchase.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WhiteHowler posted:

There is nothing enjoyable about RollerGator, even with Rifftrax trying its hardest to make it funny. It's my only truly regrettable Rifftrax purchase.

I managed to watch it in one sitting, somehow, which is more than I can say about Monster-A-Go-Go.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ringu0 posted:

Is there a non-joke explanation why Jack Frost is called a russo-finnish movie? I looked it up, and didn't see where Finland would be involved in production. I mean I should really just relax, but I'm sort of curious.
Jack Frost is actually based on an old Russian fairy tale, as were Magic Voyage of Sinbad (which wasn't originally about Sinbad; that was added by the dub) and The Sword and the Dragon.

All three were Russian movies, but I don't know where the "Finish" part comes from, though.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I managed to watch it in one sitting, somehow, which is more than I can say about Monster-A-Go-Go.
Wow, God bless you. It took me three tries to get through that thing and I haven't touched it since.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jack Frost is actually based on an old Russian fairy tale, as were Magic Voyage of Sinbad (which wasn't originally about Sinbad; that was added by the dub) and The Sword and the Dragon.

All three were Russian movies, but I don't know where the "Finish" part comes from, though.

Wow, God bless you. It took me three tries to get through that thing and I haven't touched it since.

Things were just way harder to look up and verify back then. Someone probably either told them they were Russo Fnnish, or someone just made a joke and they rolled with it. The fact that is was niche Foreign cinema makes it even more likely that they simply couldn't find decent information on the films.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Rollergator was...painful. not in a good way either.

Meanwhile people can keep Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is the best episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Out of curiousity, what was the hero of the second movie originally called (and for that matter, what was the film's orginal title) and why did the dub change it to Sinbad?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Larryb posted:

Out of curiousity, what was the hero of the second movie originally called (and for that matter, what was the film's orginal title) and why did the dub change it to Sinbad?

Sadko. According to Wikipedia it's based on an opera which was (in turn) based on an old epic fable.

e: the movie was changed by Roger Corman's distribution house, but the reason for the changes was probably the ol' "other cultures make people confused" thinking.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mace Bacon posted:

Rollergator was...painful. not in a good way either.

Meanwhile people can keep Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is the best episode.

"I love you this much..."

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"I love you this much..."

i don't care for you

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bicyclops posted:

Did you catch all the Academy Award/summer blockbuster specials?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Here's a little extra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4Gwl47ATE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WhiteHowler posted:

Rollergator has one of my favorite Mike riffs, though.

[Baby Gator is arguing about music with the rollergirl who carries him around.]
Baby Gator: "Don't you listen to K-R-O-K?"
Rollergirl: "You mean K-ROCK?"
Baby Gator: "No, CROC! Like crocodile, get it?"
[Baby Gator and Rollergirl laugh]

Mike: "Yeah, I do, but you're an alliga--look, just go to Hell."
Bill: "PLEASE go there!"

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

WhiteHowler posted:

This. The movie is so drat painful that it's so difficult to make through in one sitting. It's seriously the most annoying movie I've ever seen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Catalina Caper the only studio film they did? I know Space Travelers was really Marooned, but it got the Sandy Frank treatment. Seeing the Warner logo was quite a shock.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's such a famously bad movie that the rights are probably worth a drat.

I think it's public domain actually. Might not have been considered PD back in the original MST3K run though.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Was Catalina Caper the only studio film they did? I know Space Travelers was really Marooned, but it got the Sandy Frank treatment. Seeing the Warner logo was quite a shock.

Moon Zero Two is Warner, I think.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They did a whole bunch of Universal titles in season 8. I think there were a handful of others as well.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Have they announced what movies they're doing?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have they announced what movies they're doing?

Not officially. The exception being S11E01, as seen in the trailer.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

They tend to do movies that don't have a lot of entertainment value on their own. Things you can watch, even ironically, without them don't tend to be in their wheelhouse. There are better or worse films they've done, but that seems to be the general pattern.

counterpoint: time chasers is extremely watchable

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Soul Takers is a pretty good watch too in my opinion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Godzilla vs Sea Monster (Ebirah) is watchable, though I say that as a huge Godzilla fan.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Godzilla vs Sea Monster (Ebirah) is watchable, though I say that as a huge Godzilla fan.

That movie makes way more sense when you learn it was originally supposed to be King Kong instead of Godzilla.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I'm a big Godzilla fan and I legitimately think Sea Monster is a good-to-great series entry. It's fun, the human cast has a lot to do, and the music is snappy. I like it a lot better than the 90s Godzilla movies anyway.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Compendium posted:

Soul Takers is a pretty good watch too in my opinion.

I'm still working my way through everything, but Soul Takers has been my favorite so far when I would bounce around. I've seen a dozen or two from throughout the run and now I'm working my way through everything starting from Season 2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm a big Godzilla fan and I legitimately think Sea Monster is a good-to-great series entry. It's fun, the human cast has a lot to do, and the music is snappy. I like it a lot better than the 90s Godzilla movies anyway.

Whoa, lets not get crazy here. The 90's films are Grade-A enjoyable schlock. It's the Millennium films that suck. Megalon too, I've never seen the MST version but I can't imagine how they'd make it watchable.

robot roll call posted:

That movie makes way more sense when you learn it was originally supposed to be King Kong instead of Godzilla.

That does make more sense.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Eh, the 90s films (besides King Ghidorah and parts of Mechagodzilla) take themselves too seriously IMO.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, lets not get crazy here. The 90's films are Grade-A enjoyable schlock. It's the Millennium films that suck. Megalon too, I've never seen the MST version but I can't imagine how they'd make it watchable.

That does make more sense.

You need to watch the MST3K version right the gently caress now.

They make that abysmal trash so worth watching. REX DART, ESKIMO SPY!

It also has what is definitely my favorite skit they ever did, the popcorn gag. Just seriously, watch it. You won't regret it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So my uncle passed away, left me all of his old VHS and DVD's we were watching them together for a bit, and I guessed he wanted me to have them. It's unimportant how I go the DVD's though, so there's about 35 MST3K DvD's here, and I'm uploading them all to my PLEX Server as we speak, but uh... Which one do I start with? I love Let's play and poo poo like that, and these are like the proto-let's play as far as I understand? Especially when you consider people trashing old games, well I kind of want to start with the funniest versions of that. Idk, he always talked about it, and we never got around to watching it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

So my uncle passed away, left me all of his old VHS and DVD's we were watching them together for a bit, and I guessed he wanted me to have them. It's unimportant how I go the DVD's though, so there's about 35 MST3K DvD's here, and I'm uploading them all to my PLEX Server as we speak, but uh... Which one do I start with? I love Let's play and poo poo like that, and these are like the proto-let's play as far as I understand? Especially when you consider people trashing old games, well I kind of want to start with the funniest versions of that. Idk, he always talked about it, and we never got around to watching it.

Easiest way to go about this

What's your favorite kind of movie

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alien, shortly followed by Aliens, and then rounded out by Star Wars.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Check out Space Mutiny then.

The whole gist with MST3K is that they take on some seriously bad, but also some times pretty good, B movies and riff on them not unlike a Let's Play, as you mentioned.

They do a wide range of movies, from the 40s to the 90s.

Future War is another good bad one for what you're into especially if you like Terminator rip offs with kick boxing and dinosaur puppets.

From there, just go nuts. Lots of amazing films they've covered beyond the scifi genre as well. The new series is rumored to have Starcrash, which should align with you pretty well too.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Werewolf is always a good watch, one of their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Future War is a national treasure. It proves that you too can make a movie for 20 bucks and some random people. Maybe even Robert Z'dar will drive by (though probably not these days) and agree to be in it. Better yet, chances are you will make a movie better than Future War.

Also every moment they are fighting around the cardboard boxes has me in stitches. Easily one of my favorite MST3K sections.

"Maybe they ship fully inflated balloons overseas."