Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a piece of poo poo is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
they need to do a botw with 90s videogame movies like street fighter, super mario bros, and mortal kombat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The teen melodrama in Power Rangers is good and well handled, and the characters are genuinely likable and well acted except for maybe Zack. That's probably the main reason it's getting decent reviews.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Hemingway To Go! posted:

everything about the POWER RANGERS movie sounds absolutely terrible and a lot of reviews, including rlm now, say it's "adequate". At the very least they say at the end it's too bland to recommend, I just can't compute how 90 minutes of insincere teen drama melded with a terrible superhero story that the movie itself doesn't even want ends up as "it was not terrible". Especially when everyone admits that most of the movie feels calculated and not sincere.

Like not even the reviews of this movie are entertaining, which is what I was hoping for.
A lot of the movie sounds as bad as or worse than fan4stic, including wanting to be Chronicle and being based on a campy source material not many people actually want to see adapted.

It's closer to something like Push. If it wasn't a Power Rangers branded thing it would have come out in early June, been seen by a bunch of teens and been remembered about as well as Push was.

Like, there's something to be said about doing a remake that's actually faithful to the tone of the original and Power Rangers is weirdly in the middle. It's issue is that unlike something like Speed Racer it doesn't really try to match the ultra corny and dumb tone of the original TV show which is I think what most adults like us would have wanted in a Power Rangers movie. It is however faithful in the sense that seven year old me who loved Power Rangers with every fiber of my being would have wanted this movie to be the one that got made because it's a "real" movie with "real" effects that takes itself pretty seriously.

It also ties into my major beef rn with super hero films: more of them need to be period pieces. There's no good excuse why this movie wasn't set in the 90's, IE the time period which most movie going adults associate with Power Rangers. I have this issue with most post-Raimi Spiderman movies as well. There's this huge problem with trying to reconcile the idea of Spiderman as this teen journalist in an era where adult journalists are going out of business. And it's like, instead of maybe trying to make him a blogger or YT star or whatever dumb ideas keep getting splurted onto a marketing meeting, why don't you just set the goddamn movie in the 1970s? Suddenly all your problems around him go away around that issue along with all the "why isn't anyone using their phones to take pictures of Spiderman?" style problems that surround 75% of superhero movies.

Power Rangers is a very average, middle of the road kind of movie. But it really should have been more of a light comedy set in the 90's that poked fun at the time period and the source material more. Even if you go back and watch original episodes of MMPR, it was presented pretty much as a comedy so it's not like you'd be betraying the spirit of the original work or whatever. What makes Power Rangers a fun show to watch as an adult is that it's a combination of Baywatch, Shaw Brothers films and Kaiju movies, and the thing that ties all of those things together is that they are stupid dumb fun.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Power Rangers, but some people wear Zubaz.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wait there are adults who watch power rangers for fun

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Trunko posted:

super sentai is funny sometimes
https://zippy.gfycat.com/OptimalPerkyAnemonecrab.webm

E: wait it's not showing the part with the blood, hold on

E: gently caress it's not showing the part where the sink eats the guy and then drips blood. sorry, can't fix this right now :sigh:

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 27, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Trunko posted:

History of the Voltage Vengerz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuzZIirRus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYP8WOmaWc

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Toei Studios has a sort of museum of all the costumes in those Power Ranger's type shows on hundreds of Asian-sized mannequins, and it's neat because they got really weird at times apparently. I didn't know what any of it was, but I can at least appreciate the campy aesthetic.

Look at this stuff. It's great.

(stolen from some weeb's weeb blog)

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 27, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

In one of the older GBS youtube threads some goon came in all excited with a video taken at some kind of convention with some big battle where every power ranger ever was in some huge fight in a quarry and it was just complete fanservice and a horde of adults were cheering and clapping when their favorite power rangers were on screen.

Your post was pretty much the universal reaction when people found out it wasn't just a convention but a convention specifically for power rangers and the goon posting the video was just as excited as everyone in the crowd cheering for their favorite variants of power ranger.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Power Rangers is a very average, middle of the road kind of movie. But it really should have been more of a light comedy set in the 90's that poked fun at the time period and the source material more. Even if you go back and watch original episodes of MMPR, it was presented pretty much as a comedy so it's not like you'd be betraying the spirit of the original work or whatever. What makes Power Rangers a fun show to watch as an adult is that it's a combination of Baywatch, Shaw Brothers films and Kaiju movies, and the thing that ties all of those things together is that they are stupid dumb fun.
the problem is that hollywood remakes usually don't have fun or take liberties with the source material, even if it's based on something cheesy and light as MMPR. there's a reason why "brooding" is a popular word to describe heroes in them

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

powerful sex moves posted:

Toei Studios has a sort of museum of all the costumes in those Power Ranger's type shows on hundreds of Asian-sized mannequins, and it's neat because they got really weird at times apparently. I didn't know what any of it was, but I can at least appreciate the campy aesthetic.

They do all this for a kids show but Iron Fist doesn't even get a mask.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

everything about the POWER RANGERS movie sounds absolutely terrible and a lot of reviews, including rlm now, say it's "adequate". At the very least they say at the end it's too bland to recommend, I just can't compute how 90 minutes of insincere teen drama melded with a terrible superhero story that the movie itself doesn't even want ends up as "it was not terrible". Especially when everyone admits that most of the movie feels calculated and not sincere.

As long as the structure of a movie is the normal 3 act structure and the story is easy to follow, most movies have a sort of baseline level of badness that rides around "adequate." You need something like really bad acting/writing/editing to push a movie down to outright bad.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I hate the whole serious tone = desaturated colors, it's such a lazy and literal way to connote a "grim and gritty" world. Desaturated Superman isn't more realistic, "real Superman" wouldn't wear a leather speed suit with a giant S on the chest. I'll give Michael Bay credit Bumble Bee and Optimus both sport bright paint jobs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

powerful sex moves posted:

Those are all Kamen Riders, not Power Rangers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow nice meltdown mike

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just know there's a list somewhere on imdb:
  • Power Rangers 2 - 2019
  • Power Rangers 3 - 2020
  • Beetle Borgs - 2021
  • Power Rangers 3 Part 2 - TBD

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

I hate the whole serious tone = desaturated colors, it's such a lazy and literal way to connote a "grim and gritty" world.
stop making movies blue, they look like they're shot underwater

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Lavender posted:

• Power Rangers 2 - 2019
  • Power Rangers 3 - 2020
  • Beetle Borgs - 2021
  • Power Rangers 3 Part 2 - TBD

Power Rangers 4: Power Rangers Go Hawaiian
Power Rangers 5: The Rangers What Got Powers
Power Rangers 6: Rise of The Planet of The Power Rangers
Power Rangers 7: Just Zord Thangs
Power Rangers 8: Power Rangers Netflix Special
Power Rangers Teach Safe Driving
Power Rangers On Ice
Power Rangers: This Tuesday at The Sandusky Mall
Power Rangers: Hire Us For Your Birthday!
Four dead in apparent Power Rangers sex cult, more at 11.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

As long as the structure of a movie is the normal 3 act structure and the story is easy to follow, most movies have a sort of baseline level of badness that rides around "adequate." You need something like really bad acting/writing/editing to push a movie down to outright bad.

Or you could make a movie like Beavis: Department of Justice that requires you to follow the director on twitter to have plot points filled in in order to catapult the film into One Of The Worst Pieces of poo poo Ever.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

e: image hosts suck

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dolphin gonna come along and poke that face.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They do all this for a kids show but Iron Fist doesn't even get a mask.

That's hosed up, he's worn the mask even when he wasn't wearing the costume. Worn it with a suit and tie like it's perfectly normal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dolphin gonna come along and poke that face.

I get that reference

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
the power rangers movie?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

starkebn posted:

I get that reference

Boop

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Reboots of old TV shows do suck rear end but I would totally get behind them bringing back Columbo and having a good actor taking over from Peter Falk in putting the celebrity of the week behind bars where they belong.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Captain Lavender posted:

• Beetle Borgs - 2021

VR Troopers: Mission To Moscow

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I don't plan on seeing power rangers since I'm sure I'll hate it, but I sure hope the sequel has some kind of badass frightening lord zed fighting super light hearted and goofy power rangers. That might be neat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope there is no sequel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope that in the sequel they have a power and a force that we've never seen before, and only use their weapons for defense.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The sequel needs to be like Spider-Man 3 where they set up the green ranger as the big bad but then he turns good to fight the sympathetic villain because what is tone?

Hollywood, give me your millions of dollars.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Speaking of Spiderman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTECkLZ8HM

Looks pretty good to me, honestly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol the new spider man trailer literally gives the entire plot away beat for beat

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol the new spider man trailer literally gives the entire plot away beat for beat

It's true. I go to see marvel movies for the mystery of what could happen. They always know how to surprise

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Iron Man 4: Iron Spider

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Iron Man 3 was the only one of the marvel studios films that surprised me in any way. The rest are just generic entertainment. Which is fine if that's what you want.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope Iron Man fucks Aunt May.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Iron Man 3 was the only one of the marvel studios films that surprised me in any way. The rest are just generic entertainment. Which is fine if that's what you want.

Guardians of the Galaxy was also fairly surprising, definitely to the studio at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I can't tell what the new Spiderman needs

A dubstep soundtrack where the villain does spoken word poetry to the beat or a dance sequence in a jazz club that comes out of nowhere

• Locked thread