Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Management posted:

first priority is push integration so you can be informed on your phone when someone empty-quotes you

just integrate it with yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

it was an experimental forums/imageboard pram was running for a little while

I presume he didn't want to keep hardening it against yospos penetration testing

that wasnt my site being 'penetration tested' it was pleasure kevins lol

the source is all here i just stopped working on it shrug

https://github.com/eirka

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i even wrote a packer and ansible installer for it lol

https://github.com/eirka/eirka-provision/blob/master/eirka.json
https://github.com/eirka/eirka-provision/blob/master/base.yml

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
cool I would do something with that if I knew anything at all about webdev

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Clockwerk posted:

that's actually the second highest priority for migrating the forums, after the archives.

beyond that its just avatars, platinum, probes, permabans, and maintaining the rap sheet. with those problems solved I think they'll then be able to work on getting users able to view posts and create their own

dont wanna lose all my precious probes

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lotta good people been hustling long and hard erryday in the probe mines

you dont get to just throw all that away in the name of "progress''

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

George posted:

lotta good people been hustling long and hard erryday in the probe mines

:a2m: :quagmire:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you know how hard it was to strike this trifecta?

quote:

I'm going to read the last 5 entries on your rapsheet.
"LF post detected" "Total poo poo, go away." "32 probations tells me you aren't getting the hint." "Emptyquoting." "Please take a guess at why you're being probated in a thread called "[EVERY POST MUST HAVE A PIC!!!]""
Oh wow. They all apply here. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

imagine losing that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My rap sheet must be preserved as evidence of mods crimes, like the shoah tapes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the migration already happened. none of us was invited to the new forum, whose location is a secret.

all the funny people moved to twitter

most of the rest migrated to :filez:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
for real though, what are the technical challenges associated with a rewrite? i'm looking for purely technical reasons, not things like "it will inevitably be a buggy and feature-poor waste of time". why is a forum so hard to make?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
is it caching? i bet it's caching

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its the cross referencing

of all the times i hosed your mother

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

redleader posted:

for real though, what are the technical challenges associated with a rewrite? i'm looking for purely technical reasons, not things like "it will inevitably be a buggy and feature-poor waste of time". why is a forum so hard to make?

a forum is not hard to write. the main technical challenge is scaling. making it work for a ton of concurrent users is tough. the more features you add, the harder it is to scale. which brings us to the main non-technical problem, that the new forum must support every bizarre feature of this crap pile or else the sound of bitching will be deafening.

so really, the technical challenge is us

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

making it work for a ton of concurrent users is tough.

Given the state of things that shouldn't be as big of a problem anymore.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm willing to sacrifice amberpos if it means we get more modern forums software.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

a forum is not hard to write. the main technical challenge is scaling. making it work for a ton of concurrent users is tough. the more features you add, the harder it is to scale. which brings us to the main non-technical problem, that the new forum must support every bizarre feature of this crap pile or else the sound of bitching will be deafening.

so really, the technical challenge is us

scaling isn't a challenge if you spend time before writing code to think about what gets hit a lot, and what you need to index and/or denormalize; if you're a php user or someone who just learned a good mvc stack (rails) you won't think about that, and instead write slow janky garbage

you're spot on about the real problem though: users obsess over forums

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm glad lowtax decided not to use the elixir guy, because that guy clearly though he was writing a glorified homework project

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

can we carry over being logged in cause anyone who has to type their password in ain't coming back

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
people got really inordinately mad when they changed the fonts once

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Writing a small web forum is one of the easiest things you can do. Writing a big one that's not garbage is one of the most complex

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lol I just decided to check out my old forum software vs. my new one, the old one was basically the same vBulletin version as SA is based off of and had about 40,000 LOC, the new one I use is maybe about 75% not-garbage and has 400,000 LOC

pram
Jun 10, 2001

redleader posted:

its just tedious implementing all the individual features and then fixing the bugs. a forum is deceptively simple because its superficially just a CRUD application, until you realize the massive surface area. each little bullshit feature requires its own controller, model, template, etc

by virtue of being a solo project it would never have the man hours behind it even 'bad' forum software has. years of user complaints and bug fixes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
according to lowtax, the costs associated with the xenforo move are related to parsing this shitheap (and the archives) in some sane way that outputs something resembling the posts as they appear now.

iirc there's a shitload of custom code that handles tags and embeds and whatnot that was all heaped on top of vbulletin by radium over the course of a decade.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they should give up trying to do it the proper way and just screen scrape

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
pretty good, OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

a pdf of each post on the forums in a large .zip file

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

akadajet posted:

I'm willing to sacrifice amberpos if it means we get more modern forums software.

hang on now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Thanks Ants posted:

hang on now

death to amberpos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

just use the code from awful.app to do this

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

that'll work as long as we never pivot the forums

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

and as we will be splitting a pizza i am willing to sacrifice the hawaiian option so that we can have plain cheese for the vegetarians along with the sausage and mushroom option

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

death to amberpos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
greenpos supremacy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I do not think the forums rewrite is going well

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

greenpos supremacy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I do not think the forums rewrite is going well

i disagree, sexy parrot. i think it is going very well

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

i disagree, sexy parrot. i think it is going very well

for instance, it resulted in this thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually done. you just cant see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, half a forum is done.

but who'd want to see only half a production ready forum? that's just ridiculous

• Locked thread