Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

A Grand Day Out is good. The rest are mediocre to poo poo.

A Grand Day Out is the best one, but The Wrong Trousers is worth it just for the train chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wallace and Grommet isn't entertaining or funny it's just kind of irritating and the main dudes rictus grin creeps me out. I never understood even as a kid how it was so popular with people, it always felt like it was made for people with a completely different thought pattern than mine

Yeah it was one of those "alternate reality kid" things. Like having Sega instead of Nintendo and watching the Disney channel instead of Nick. Their moms would probably come out with weird snacks like fluffernutters or something, too. loving weirdos...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Yeah it was one of those "alternate reality kid" things. Like having Sega instead of Nintendo and watching the Disney channel instead of Nick. Their moms would probably come out with weird snacks like fluffernutters or something, too. loving weirdos...

Yeah and their entire house has that weird soup smell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah and their entire house has that weird soup smell

Ugh, that kid. Mine was Robbie Walden. Kid's house always smelled like when you first opened a box of cereal mixed with pine needles. It was really odd.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd rather be rich than drunk.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd rather be rich than drunk.

Why not both?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
We put on those pants one leg at a time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like to sit on the edge of the bed and shimmy on my pant legs like some horrible, dying mermaid.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Guy Goodbody posted:

A Grand Day Out is the best one, but The Wrong Trousers is worth it just for the train chase

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I like to sit on the edge of the bed and shimmy on my pant legs like some horrible, dying mermaid.

Next time lie on the bed and put both feet in at once then hop off the bed and pull the pants up at the same time. I call it the "Ol' Flop n' Hop."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Depending on the jacket I like to throw it into the air and shove my arms through the sleeves when it falls down cause it makes me feel cool before work or wherever

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never done anything close to any of those things and now I'm feeling like I'm missing out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince Vaughn is not funny. I know ostensibly he is a comedic actor but if you ever watch one of his films and think to yourself "that was pretty funny" the movie was funny in spite of him not because of him

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Vince Vaughn is not funny. I know ostensibly he is a comedic actor but if you ever watch one of his films and think to yourself "that was pretty funny" the movie was funny in spite of him not because of him

I agree with this, but he does seem like a cool guy. One of my friends was drinking at a bar and I guess Vince Vaughn came in. My friend went up to him and said that he enjoyed his movies and Vince said thanks and was pretty cool about just some random guy coming up and talking to him. Later that night my buddy was flirting with some girl at the bar and Vince came up to both of them and smacked my buddy on the shoulder and said, "Watch out for this guy! He's trouble! I'll catch up with you later man!" and walked out. He gave my buddy one of the coolest ins with a girl I've ever heard about. No idea if it's true, but he's told that story tons of times and it's never changed. It also didn't work and he didn't take the girl home.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Agreeing he's a pretty crap actor, but I like him and he seems cool. Would hang with Vaughn.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I feel like he's usually the straight man so it's hard for him to stand out as particularly funny

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Next time lie on the bed and put both feet in at once then hop off the bed and pull the pants up at the same time. I call it the "Ol' Flop n' Hop."

Nice. A variation on this is to roll backwards onto your shoulders to pull the pants up (legs in air, obviously) then swiftly roll forward to power off the bed.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

oldpainless posted:

The only movie that I've seen him in that I can remember loving was Dodgeball, and that was because he was the straight man around everything else.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like he's usually the straight man so it's hard for him to stand out as particularly funny

He's definitely meant to be the funny one in Swingers and in Old School.

Swingers is a loving fantastic movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even in movies like that where he's supposed to be funny he always strikes me like he's in a bad mood. Like instead of his jokes coming off as light-hearted they just seem mean spirited.

Anyway, I would argue that any good work he has done was completely invalidated by Couple's Retreat. That thing rivaled even some of Adam Sandler's absolute worst and I don't say that lightly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

WampaLord posted:

He's definitely meant to be the funny one in Swingers and in Old School.

Swingers is a loving fantastic movie.

He was also great in Dodgeball, but he was the straight man to everyone else being crazy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree with this, but he does seem like a cool guy. One of my friends was drinking at a bar and I guess Vince Vaughn came in. My friend went up to him and said that he enjoyed his movies and Vince said thanks and was pretty cool about just some random guy coming up and talking to him. Later that night my buddy was flirting with some girl at the bar and Vince came up to both of them and smacked my buddy on the shoulder and said, "Watch out for this guy! He's trouble! I'll catch up with you later man!" and walked out. He gave my buddy one of the coolest ins with a girl I've ever heard about. No idea if it's true, but he's told that story tons of times and it's never changed. It also didn't work and he didn't take the girl home.

If Vince Vaughn thinks someone's trouble they must be a bad dude. Girl did the right thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The swingers soundtrack is insufferable

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The swingers soundtrack is insufferable

I mean, you knew what you were getting based on the title.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stuart Little was the only book I remember really hating as a kid and it was because of its bullshit ending. I loved the entire book but it ends with him looking for his bird friend and never finding him but it says some dumb thing about him "feeling like he was on the right path"

Was it supposed to be a loving lord of the rings trilogy or something what the hell is that?? I'm still pissed about it thinking back to when I was like 9 or 10. I only read it once and I was so pissed off its somehow a thing I'm still mad about

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Vince Vaughn is terrible. He comes off as a miserable douchebag in every movie but with no humor to make him even remotely likeable.

Is he really even in anything anymore though? I thought he over saturated himself in the 2000s to the point where he just stopped getting roles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stuart Little is absolute horse poo poo of a book.

However, did you know the author, E.B. White, is the White from "Strunk & White's Elements of Style"?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Stuart Little was the only book I remember really hating as a kid and it was because of its bullshit ending.

Read Susan Palwick's short story, "The Fate of Mice." Like all her work, it's a gut-punch, but it addresses this specifically.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think its weird and wrong for a man to have never been married and/or had kids, or even to be single. I think its okay for women and if I meet an older woman who never married, never had kids, I'm like "Whoa, cool". But if I ever see an older man (40+) who never got married or had kids and has been a bachelor his whole life, I'm like "What's wrong with you?"

It's also weird for guys to live alone but not for women. I don't know why. :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys live in packs until they are married/dead. I point to the hit film Three Men and a Baby for proof.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have no problem not getting married and/or not having kids. Life would be 1000% less stressful

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

I think its weird and wrong for a man to have never been married and/or had kids, or even to be single. I think its okay for women and if I meet an older woman who never married, never had kids, I'm like "Whoa, cool". But if I ever see an older man (40+) who never got married or had kids and has been a bachelor his whole life, I'm like "What's wrong with you?"

It's also weird for guys to live alone but not for women. I don't know why. :shrug:

What about gay dudes, I don't really like the idea of having a surrogate kid for whatever reason so I'll probably never reproduce

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

What about gay dudes, I don't really like the idea of having a surrogate kid for whatever reason so I'll probably never reproduce

You could be living with another guy so the theory still stands.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

You could be living with another guy so the theory still stands.

When gay dudes live together the house can go one of three ways: entire rooms devoted to kitsch, heroin den or Williams-Sonoma

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I live with a gay guy and now we have candles in my kitchen that smell like pancakes. Is that Williams-Sonoma?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I live with a gay guy and now we have candles in my kitchen that smell like pancakes. Is that Williams-Sonoma?

If they cost like $20 then yeah

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

we have candles in my kitchen that smell like pancakes.

Does that make you always want pancakes, or never want pancakes?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So far always want pancakes, but I usually make pancakes for all of us every couple of weekends anyways.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Stuart Little was the only book I remember really hating as a kid and it was because of its bullshit ending. I loved the entire book but it ends with him looking for his bird friend and never finding him but it says some dumb thing about him "feeling like he was on the right path"

Was it supposed to be a loving lord of the rings trilogy or something what the hell is that?? I'm still pissed about it thinking back to when I was like 9 or 10. I only read it once and I was so pissed off its somehow a thing I'm still mad about

I have read the author of that book fell ill when he was writings it and thought he was at death's door, so he finished the novel quickly without really giving it a proper ending. However, he later recovered but never wrote any sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Stuart Little is absolute horse poo poo of a book.

However, did you know the author, E.B. White, is the White from "Strunk & White's Elements of Style"?

I am going to go through that book, circle every example of passive voice, every split infinitive, and every preposition he ended a sentence with and place it on his loving grave.

English isn't Latin!!!