Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is true of everyone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

irlZaphod posted:

Statement here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-28-fans-have-noticed-something-odd-about-lego-city-undercover-on-switch

Seems fairly cut and dry, although it still doesn't explain why an internet connection would be "required".

Has anyone considered that the cart has compressed files that need to be installed to play? If I wanted to save $1 per cart, that's what I'd do.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Snake pass will own

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I literally know nothing about Snakepass apart from it's trailer and music by David Wise. That is enough for me to buy it.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Welp, finished BOTW last night. Maybe too early to say, but I really think it's one of my all time favorites. Absolutely stunning job. I didnt get all the memories but after so many hours I ended the game feeling just a *bit* fatigued so I'm gonna take some time away from it and revisit later. Hell, I didn't even explore the entire map either. Time to finish the Witcher 3 while I wait for Mario Kart.

Someone buy Snake Pass today and report back though thanks in advance.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Empress Brosephine posted:

Snake pass will own

I expect you to be poo poo posting about it tomorrow tbh

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

irlZaphod posted:

EU shop says it's released tomorrow, which makes no sense.

Europe and Australia get it a day later for some reason, it looks like (not just on Switch, on all platforms).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm liking Zelda a lot even after the initial hype period wore off. But because of how the story is delivered I think it's going to take until I actually finish the thing before I can say whether it's well written and paced or just meandering nonsense. I'm seeing how it could go either way at this point.

Not that story is super important in these games, but because of how this game largely revolves around rewarding you with either consumable items or one out of hundreds of doodads, "story bits" are weirdly some of the most meaningful milestones.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Earth Table posted:

Welp, finished BOTW last night. Maybe too early to say, but I really think it's one of my all time favorites. Absolutely stunning job. I didnt get all the memories but after so many hours I ended the game feeling just a *bit* fatigued so I'm gonna take some time away from it and revisit later. Hell, I didn't even explore the entire map either. Time to finish the Witcher 3 while I wait for Mario Kart.

Someone buy Snake Pass today and report back though thanks in advance.

get all the memories to get the true ending

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I will. I think I just need a quick breather. I'm the type of person who gets tired of games easily though so it's a high compliment to Zelda that I felt immersed for as long as I did. :cheers:

Like I love The Witcher but it's taken me an eternity to get through just because I keep hitting a wall and walking away from it. I think I'm in the back-half of Blood and Wine though so I really am coming back to the home stretch.

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 28, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

I'm liking Zelda a lot even after the initial hype period wore off. But because of how the story is delivered I think it's going to take until I actually finish the thing before I can say whether it's well written and paced or just meandering nonsense. I'm seeing how it could go either way at this point.

Not that story is super important in these games, but because of how this game largely revolves around rewarding you with either consumable items or one out of hundreds of doodads, "story bits" are weirdly some of the most meaningful milestones.

You pace the game yourself. Its weird, but if you don't like it its your fault. Do the story when you want to do the story, explore when you want to explore. There is an order to the memories you can unlock. It works well I think.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Has anyone considered that the cart has compressed files that need to be installed to play? If I wanted to save $1 per cart, that's what I'd do.

Well I've never heard of a compression algorithm that requires an internet connection to work, and isn't just "downloading a bunch of poo poo from a server"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The great thing about Zelda's story and basically everything else in the game is that it's incredibly non intrusive by design to align with its open world nature. Yeah you have overarching evil and a general story but things like memories flesh out the past but only if you choose to seek them out. It's incredibly smart design.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Getting mad about a thing that you literally made up is dumb and a waste of time.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Zelda's story clicks really well for me because for the bulk of the game, you are exploring this world where it's obvious that something went horribly wrong; you're constantly encountering demonic pigs and ruins and danger between towns, where everyone seems super on edge about said dangers. Coming across bite sized chunks where you look back in time and find out why things are like this is really interesting to me. You're seeing just how bad the "after" is that it sort of sells the impending anxiety of the "before" scenes when you see them. It's not for everyone but I think it was a very deliberate choice and I dig it a lot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize it's in itself a screen, but does this thing work with projectors just as well with TV's? We don't have the latter and are very close to buying the former but it'd be nice to know going forward.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

You pace the game yourself. Its weird, but if you don't like it its your fault. Do the story when you want to do the story, explore when you want to explore. There is an order to the memories you can unlock. It works well I think.

Oh for sure, and I like the delivery mechanism. What I mean is that I can't tell how I feel yet about the story they're telling. (trying to be vague since this isn't the Zelda thread) Some of the bits are compelling and neat and others I'm like "okay you're just repeating the same thing I've already been told like three different times".

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I like generally what they tried to do with BotW's main story but every line is a clunker and everything else is way more interesting.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Louisgod posted:

The great thing about Zelda's story and basically everything else in the game is that it's incredibly non intrusive by design to align with its open world nature. Yeah you have overarching evil and a general story but things like memories flesh out the past but only if you choose to seek them out. It's incredibly smart design.

In just about every other game the sparse non-linear story would annoy the gently caress out of me, not being a open world fan. Stories are generally told sequentially for a reason, it's how stories work

Zelda works great though - I mean sure they cheated a bit by placing it all in the past and wow Link's got amnesia?! but they also knew from the start that "wow, almost every single piece of content in our game is completely optional, better make the player want to play/see it" and somehow made it work

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The VA also ruins the memories beyond redemption. It's atrociously bad.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Earth Table posted:

Zelda's story clicks really well for me because for the bulk of the game, you are exploring this world where it's obvious that something went horribly wrong; you're constantly encountering demonic pigs and ruins and danger between towns, where everyone seems super on edge about said dangers. Coming across bite sized chunks where you look back in time and find out why things are like this is really interesting to me. You're seeing just how bad the "after" is that it sort of sells the impending anxiety of the "before" scenes when you see them. It's not for everyone but I think it was a very deliberate choice and I dig it a lot.

I was surprised with how non-gloomy the world is actually. Sure there's ruins and monsters everywhere, but there's a bunch of happy people and stuff as well and they make it all feel worth saving

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Zelda's the only atrocity in my opinion, the rest of it is okay-to-good

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I was surprised with how non-gloomy the world is actually. Sure there's ruins and monsters everywhere, but there's a bunch of happy people and stuff as well and they make it all feel worth saving

It's certainly not gloomy, but there is a sense of melancholy that pervades the world. At least how I interpreted it.

You're right about the relative cheerfulness of the people though. It gave a sense of hope which added to the sense of adventure.

I dunno, I just was really absorbed in it and it hit all my buttons, I guess. I totally get others not liking it though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

Oh for sure, and I like the delivery mechanism. What I mean is that I can't tell how I feel yet about the story they're telling. (trying to be vague since this isn't the Zelda thread) Some of the bits are compelling and neat and others I'm like "okay you're just repeating the same thing I've already been told like three different times".

That's true, and you get a different feel depending on how you stumble into things. I got A bunch of working together memories, THEN got the sarcastic blessing while everyone scoffs at you It was awesome and showed me there was more to these characters when I thought it was a generic Zelda. You could get that first though and have a different feeling.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Ok

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

I really didn't like the Deku Tree's voice, despite otherwise liking the VA (he did Revali and Teba as well).

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
That Has-Been Heroes game releases today as well, and I'm super interested in picking it up, since the word is that it's basically a cheerirer Darkest Dungeon, is there any other word on it?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I'm sorry, Zelda is pretty bad but Mipha is the worst.

Is Snake Pass digital only?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I had no problems with the voice acting. Honestly, calling it an "atrocity" feels like a bit much, especially when truly terrible game voice acting isn't that distant a memory.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Being wrong is cool, have you tried playing games yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Zelda herself was an especially good va performance compared to the rest.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I actually really like Zelda's VA, she sells the character to me, guess I'm the only one :shrug:

Edit:

parallelodad posted:

I thought Zelda herself was an especially good va performance compared to the rest.

:yeah:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I actually really like Zelda's VA, she sells the character to me, guess I'm the only one :shrug:

No, she worked for me too. Sounded like someone who, quite literally, had the weight of the world on her shoulders. She was fine.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tender Bender posted:

Apparently there's at least two of you :shrug:

She just sounds whiny and emo, I guess I understand her after seeing all the memories, and they do a bit of effort to show that she's got other interests than being sat upon, but still. Eh.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fancy Hat! posted:

That Has-Been Heroes game releases today as well, and I'm super interested in picking it up, since the word is that it's basically a cheerirer Darkest Dungeon, is there any other word on it?

Apparently it sucks pretty badly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:gizz:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

It's a really good dichotomy, and it gives the world a kind of built-in sense of "this can get a lot worse if I let it."

Like, you can see that Ganon just nuked the hell out of central Hyrule. The city and outlying villages there are just collapsed ruins, and its all been reclaimed by nature. There's a strong impression that Zelda is holding him back from just frying the rest of the country the same way, and he's trying his best to get a head start with the recently re-activated Divine Beasts and their weird natural disasters, but those people are all trying their best to keep doing their thing and resist.

It's a very optimistic apocalypse that paints a picture of a civilization that refuses to let itself broken or undermined by forces beyond its control.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Regarding Zelda, a lot of her lines that I found early in the game were a bit silly and bad, but later on I found her performance actually pretty good. Perhaps it was a problem with direction?

Mipha is like nails on a chalkboard though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

that kinda owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apparently there's at least two of you :shrug:

She just sounds whiny and emo, I guess I understand her after seeing all the memories, and they do a bit of effort to show that she's got other interests than being sat upon, but still. Eh.

I like that one memory where she was intentionally sounding depressed and unenthused based on the circumstances (where even the other characters involved were like "what's HER loving problem?") except she hosed up and carried that over to like 98% of her in-game dialogue.

• Locked thread