Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also what was in that case at the end? Is that a standard container for a new Chekov's RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Works that are driven by only one author or a few working closely together tend to have a cohesive point that the author is trying to make, like Better Call Saul. The only way to square "we did the hard things that had to be done", like when Carol slayed the bandits headed for the Alexandrian armory, with how the Alexandrian bandits raided the Oceanside armory is protagonist-centered morality.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 27, 2017

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

So who's negan's little birdy? Gregory hadn't visited the saviors yet so it has to be someone else. The trash queen maybe?

You know what? I just realized who it was; and if I turn out to be right, this may be an example of pretty clever foreshadowing (despite whatever faults the rest of the show has).

Remember last night's episode? The one where Gregory and Simon got to talking? And Gregory was all "hey man, there might be some rabble-rousers gunning for my seat, and they don't play nice like I do"? And then Simon gave him that handwritten note to where he could go if he had any concerns?

Well, I think that's what happened. That whole scene, as well as the one in today's episode (where he takes out a handwritten note and asks Kal for a local road map), was all build up to him being the snitch. It wasn't Eugene who sold them out, it was Gregory.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 28, 2017

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Gregory's absolutely going to get killed at the gates of the sanctuary in the finale. Maggie should use him as a battering ram.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

eclectic taste posted:

At this point I feel bad for Chris Hardwick. He has to be all pumped up and excited for each week's drivel.

There really are people who are still having a great time with TWD, although Chris Hardwick is obviously only in for the paycheck.

What's this about someone snitching to Negan? Did I miss something recently?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My favorite Chris Hardwick acting moment: when every week he has to chippily say "THANKS FOR STAYING UP ANOTHER HOUR TO SEE US!" because they're pre-empting Talking Dead for that stupid Badlands show. They're even doing it the week of the loving finale. :rolleyes:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Has Maggie's accent just gotten worse/thicker since she channeled the ghost of Herschel to farm?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shneak posted:

Gregory's absolutely going to get killed at the gates of the sanctuary in the finale. Maggie should use him as a battering ram.

Nah they should keep his comic storyline. A death during a battle would be too good for him.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

That dialogue between Sasha and Eugene through the door was amazingly bad

Like geez, it sounded like a lost page from Tommy Wisseau's The Room somehow made it into TWD's script

Granted I only had the show on in the background but I thought it was some other character impersonating Sasha. Like some kind of setup to catch Eugene out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lucania posted:

Yeah, when she's leaving Oceanside the first time around, she gives the middle finger to a little girl who initially wanted to shoot her and then spits at her as she leaves.

E: https://youtu.be/dq4MaOiGScw

Lol, do they really expect people to remember that episode? They actually think some people stayed awake until the end?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

some guy on the bus posted:

Lol, do they really expect people to remember that episode? They actually think some people stayed awake until the end?

Hey, I'm a fan of this show, so I was able to. Something Awful doesn't represent EVERYONE you know ;) .

EDIT: That said though, this season IS getting a little repetitive. And I wasn't terribly thrilled about what Alexandria did to Oceanside either. They're BASICALLY proving them right in why they needed to murder everyone who found their village, and I hate it when that happens in a show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 28, 2017

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

galenanorth posted:

Works that are driven by only one author or a few working closely together tend to have a cohesive point that the author is trying to make, like Better Call Saul. The only way to square "we did the hard things that had to be done", like when Carol slayed the bandits headed for the Alexandrian armory, with how the Alexandrian bandits raided the Oceanside armory is protagonist-centered morality.

Are you talking about the Wolves who announced their presence by immediately machete-ing a lady who was minding her own business smoking a cigarette?

Not that I necessarily disagree with your overall point

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The loving garbage people got a polite introduction, but the island ladies just go their island blown up and their poo poo stole

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The explosions really were hilariously unnecessary. Just have everyone move in in a circle with your loving assault rifles out. No-ones gonna do poo poo. And hey, no zombie horde too.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Pocket Billiards posted:

Granted I only had the show on in the background but I thought it was some other character impersonating Sasha. Like some kind of setup to catch Eugene out.

I thought Negan was hiding in there with her to test Eugenes loyalty.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

This is especially funny in the thread where everyone tries to out do each other about who totally doesn't watch the show or like it, guys, but

Astroman posted:

that stupid Badlands show
I will fight you.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guy Goodbody posted:

The loving garbage people got a polite introduction, but the island ladies just go their island blown up and their poo poo stole

I mean what are you gonna do, blow up or steal their garbage? They have this poo poo figured out

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

I skimmed through this last night but I'll watch it for real today but from what I can tell it was... Dumber than a grimbly grunk

The saddest thing is how many review sites thought that episode was "the best of the season," and actually suggested it was tense.

To me it was a return to the lovely cop-out 1st prison fight A-Team tactics and bat-poo poo insane ideas on diplomacy and overall sucked nuts, but hey, I'm not paid to review poo poo for major publications

lifts cats over head posted:

Was there something from the previous episode with the beach crew that explained Tara's middle finger? I don't feel like re-watching to find out. I think I would like that character development of Tara just randomly being a dick to kids.

Yep, it was doubly as hilarious given she literally just took part in robbing them and their reaction was "Our leader won't let us fight, waa waa" and not "gently caress THESE PEOPLE." Flip those bitches the bird!

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm sure there's some kind of stupid symbolism behind Negan being clean shaven and saving people while Rick grows a beard and steals guns

You know people give Walking Dead poo poo because it's a zombie show, or say it's run out of gas after so many seasons but I actually don't think that's true. There's potential in these stories and ideas, just shiiiiit execution.

If this season was Rick turning as bad as Negan to fight Negan using his own tactics, it could have been some compelling TV. Instead they think his sudden willingness to rob motherfuckers blind is being a good guy, to the point the show doesn't have a SINGLE person start shooting at Rick so they don't have to hurt anyone and can remain "good guys."

Seriously I think that's what bothered me the most; it's the fact NOBODY put up a fight when like a dozen people should have responded with literal automatic weapons fire; after all, for all anyone ELSE knows, it's the Saviors coming to call.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 28, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

The saddest thing is how many review sites thought that episode was "the best of the season," and actually suggested it was tense.

To me it was a return to the lovely cop-out 1st prison fight A-Team tactics and bat-poo poo insane ideas on diplomacy and overall sucked nuts, but hey, I'm not paid to review poo poo for major publications

I mean at the most shallow level it was tense.

It's just that the tension came from whether or not the protagonists were going to massacre a group of women and children they were robbing blind.

The average person is probably like "Holy poo poo! I felt something while watching the walking dead! 10/10!!"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

I mean at the most shallow level it was tense.

I wonder if a single person in the writing room said "You know, maybe Rick should try to send a diplomatic gesture to them to trade for their weapons while having heavy backup outside to blow stuff up if his envoy is threatened" like a sane person (I was kind of shocked how they handled this, even by TWD standards).

I also wonder if that person was laughed out of the writing room before everyone did another line of coke

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously I think that's what bothered me the most; it's the fact NOBODY put up a fight when like a dozen people should have responded with literal automatic weapons fire; after all, for all anyone ELSE knows, it's the Saviors coming to call.

Tara ninja'd into grandma's place and waited for her to eventually come in, and the whole thing was timed? This after what timeframe from when they chased Tara around the camp with guns and at this point KNEW she got away from her "guides". Yet they are less on guard than then?

So very much wring with the writing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Tara ninja'd into grandma's place and waited for her to eventually come in, and the whole thing was timed? This after what timeframe from when they chased Tara around the camp with guns and at this point KNEW she got away from her "guides". Yet they are less on guard than then?

So very much wring with the writing.

Can always set your clock by when Grandma does laundry

:downsrim:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Space Crabs posted:

It's just that the tension came from whether or not the protagonists were going to massacre a group of women and children they were robbing blind.

They were never going to do this. Why on Earth would anyone ever think this was something that would happen on this show?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Tara's ninja skills sneaking her into the camp and Sasha's capture... nah, we dont have the budget to shoot those scenes.

They should just skip over the whole killing Negan thing and get on to the next lame plot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BonoMan posted:

They were never going to do this. Why on Earth would anyone ever think this was something that would happen on this show?

What would've happened if the Island Ladies hadn't all immediately ran away after the first explosion? What would've happened if they grabbed their guns and started shooting at Rick's people?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I can't decide if it's budget or laziness. They called all the extras in and the set is there - how much time would it really take to shoot Tara crawling around in some bushes and jimmying a window or something? It wouldn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece to still add a little tension.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
This show just does things and it doesn't matter if it makes sense. Tara needs to be in the room when Old Lady Leader walks in to ambush her? Okay, let's cut to Tara in the room. Someone is about to rape Sasha? Okay, here's Negan.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guy Goodbody posted:

What would've happened if the Island Ladies hadn't all immediately ran away after the first explosion? What would've happened if they grabbed their guns and started shooting at Rick's people?

Why are you talking about this like it was a real world event that had multiple possible outcomes?

The writers had one single outcome and that was Rick gets the guns and they team up with Oceanside (even if it takes them a bit to come to their senses).

There was never a possibility that Rick and crew would loving murder all of them. That is something the writers never would have done so if you felt tension from that scene then you have totally given the writers wayyyyyyyyy too much credit.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hoping they would all run into one of the explosions so Rick could try to justify their whoopsie murder.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Why are you talking about this like it was a real world event that had multiple possible outcomes?

The writers had one single outcome and that was Rick gets the guns and they team up with Oceanside (even if it takes them a bit to come to their senses).

There was never a possibility that Rick and crew would loving murder all of them. That is something the writers never would have done so if you felt tension from that scene then you have totally given the writers wayyyyyyyyy too much credit.

The Walking Dead Writer spotted

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I thought not showing anything at all of Sasha's invasion was also super lame. You don't have to do "saviour depot invasion v.2.0", but I dunno, show her holed up somewhere and someone getting the jump on her or something. She wasn't prepared to surrender, so what made that happen? Again, the writers know what they want to have happen so they just force things to make them fit the desired end goal. Which is bad and dumb.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Space Crabs posted:

The Walking Dead Writer spotted

I'm slagging off the writers actually.

But they probably all hate themselves anyway so your theory may still hold water.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

redleader posted:

There really are people who are still having a great time with TWD, although Chris Hardwick is obviously only in for the paycheck.

What's this about someone snitching to Negan? Did I miss something recently?

Negan said to Sasha that a little birdy told him Rick and co. are up to something

I think its Gregory like others, hes been a beta bitch since day 1

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I really hope they go back to the Island Ladies and they are all overrun with zombies because they didn't have guns to defend themselves.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out that shooting all those zombies made a bunch of other zombies hone in on us

A single child zombie walks by with only a middle finger on one hand

Tara still has a confused face

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BonoMan posted:

There was never a possibility that Rick and crew would loving murder all of them. That is something the writers never would have done

You clearly have never seen Fear The Walking Dead

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Turns out that shooting all those zombies made a bunch of other zombies hone in on us

A single child zombie walks by with only a middle finger on one hand

Tara still has a confused face

Grandma zombie still carrying around her basket of laundry in the background, Rick looks askance of the camera and sighs

"Another settlement ruined by the Saviours... our war is much more justified now"

Michonne jumps his bones, fade to Black while they bang in the bamboo forest or whatever

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a gif of michonne and rick fading to black already somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay give me a second