Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think there's a natural human tendency to wanna categorize everything but the huge irreconcilable differences people apparently have between Souls games never felt relevant to me. They're all like variations on a theme and are mostly the same games, closer than most sequels tend to be to their source material.

I think there are some qualitative differences between the Dark Souls games that can be examined, though. Dark Souls 2 feels different to play (in part because of how they animated the character model) and I think has weaker environment and level design than the other two. And Dark Souls 3 just doesn't do enough new things to really justify its own existence, which I guess goes along with what you're saying about being closer than most sequels to its original.

The reason I like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne the most (and Demon's and Bloodborne more than Dark Souls) is that each brings something new. Demon's Souls took the King's Field formula into third person and improved the melee combat a lot. Dark Souls... yeah, it basically aped a whole lot of Demon's Souls, right down to some enemy move sets, but its connected world design felt like SotN-style Castlevania brought into 3D. And Bloodborne takes a new approach to combat and is a masterpiece of atmosphere in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FpVLJczQ0g

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phantasium posted:

cool, then the dark souls team can make a Castlevania

man I wish Konami would have sold that IP off, or at least had let someone other than loving MercurySteam turn it into a bargain bin God of War.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

cool, then the dark souls team can make a Castlevania

God drat I wish. I'm imagining a 3D Castlevania with whip mechanics like an expanded version of the Threaded Cane (similar basic move set, but with more moves and special moves because it's your primary weapon the whole game), creepy atmosphere, intricate levels... gently caress that would own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a 3D bloodstained

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They should make a sci-fi Souls game with robots or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

The Surge looks like an interesting attempt at this.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

haveblue posted:

Maybe they'll make the new Armored Core have Souls gameplay

Serf posted:

The Surge looks like an interesting attempt at this.

It's being made by the Lords of the Fallen people so I wouldn't get your hopes up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

God drat I wish. I'm imagining a 3D Castlevania with whip mechanics like an expanded version of the Threaded Cane (similar basic move set, but with more moves and special moves because it's your primary weapon the whole game), creepy atmosphere, intricate levels... gently caress that would own.

i mean pandora's tower is pretty good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Grapplejack posted:

DS3 also had maybe the worst online since the two area covens didn't work and the game would heavily prioritize games where the host has a phantom already summoned. That plus the hornet ring instant kill means that every pvp fight was the exact same one people figured it out.

Tbf that stuff was patched to varying degrees. DS1 had terrible online on release that barely worked at all for many people not to mention the gravelords lol. I think DS2 has the best online and even with soul memory I could very consistently find people to match with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
i think what is weird in retrospect about dark souls is how the first one is probably the most different when it was assumed after DS1 all the others would have the same kind of open design. DS2/3/bloodborne are more like progressions from demon's souls with dark souls being a weird outlier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
also yeah what really puts DS2 above DS3 for me a lot is that it had very good pvp while DS3s is very bad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stux posted:

i think what is weird in retrospect about dark souls is how the first one is probably the most different when it was assumed after DS1 all the others would have the same kind of open design. DS2/3/bloodborne are more like progressions from demon's souls with dark souls being a weird outlier
I think Bloodborne would feel more like Dark Souls 1 if you weren't constantly having to go back to the Hunter's Dream just to do basic tasks like leveling up or upgrading.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love the demons souls style where it's basically just a Mario map where you can pick your levels

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My friends and I somehow managed to get 8 people we know irl into a game of L4D2 last night and it reminded me of how freakin fun that versus mode is, especially when everyone is just goofing off. I hope they release another one!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

also yeah what really puts DS2 above DS3 for me a lot is that it had very good pvp while DS3s is very bad

It's cute in dark souls pvp that there's weird dueling etiquette everyone seems to know where you bow before the fight and no one heals

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lakbay posted:

It's being made by the Lords of the Fallen people so I wouldn't get your hopes up

I never played that one. Not good, I take it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

The online in DS2 is the main reason why I like it over the other two games. I sunk a lot of hours into dumb gimmick pvp builds in that game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

I never played that one. Not good, I take it?

Not good. I gave it a strong chance. As in, I beat it and started a new game with a different build to see if I was missing something. It's just poorly designed from top to bottom. The action, the levels, the mechanics, the enemies, the bosses... It's not good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

I love the demons souls style where it's basically just a Mario map where you can pick your levels
The Nexus was a really good hub area too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Raxivace posted:

I think Bloodborne would feel more like Dark Souls 1 if you weren't constantly having to go back to the Hunter's Dream just to do basic tasks like leveling up or upgrading.

yeah you're right, the level design is close to that style but completely broken by having to go back constantly. i mean its fine though really just it does still break from dark souls 1 there yeah. also none of the games were brave enough to just not let you teleport for half the game again like dark souls 1 which really helped give it the feeling it had. that and also taking away the closest thing to a hub the game had at one point in the game!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's cute in dark souls pvp that there's weird dueling etiquette everyone seems to know where you bow before the fight and no one heals

maybe if you're a mark who is asking to get pwned...

Andrast posted:

The online in DS2 is the main reason why I like it over the other two games. I sunk a lot of hours into dumb gimmick pvp builds in that game.

i had/have a character who lives in the belltower, wearing the butterfly poison aoe armor with powerstanced poisoned weapons and it was the most fun pvp ive had in any of the dark souls games rip

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

I finished both Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and Freedom Planet the other day.

Not sure I have any particularly strong feelings about Momodora. The story is relatively minimalist but not in a way that felt particularly interesting. I dunno, curses and evil queens and giant boob witches, something something. The exploration was also kind of a let down in that very few of your abilities actually open up new areas, instead you're really just getting keys to unlock doors.

Having been warned about the terrible story in Freedom Planet I went with classic mode and had a pretty great time, though the plot still seeps into the game at various points and yeah it seems dumb. Game itself played well enough and I liked the soundtrack. Difficulty was no joke towards the end, at least 50% of my 80 or so deaths were from the final couple of levels. I'll probably play the sequel.

You're the one who convinced me to get Momodora. I had pretty much the same feeling. It was fun but ultimately forgettable. It is probably the best game that involves beating people up with a maple leaf though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

The Nexus was a really good hub area too.

I've only played a bit of Demons' but yeah, your little home base of fellow trapped souls is cool, granted you don't being the serial killer home.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Maybe they'll make the new Armored Core have Souls gameplay

Team Ninja has a wildly fluctuating history with their games developed ranging from good to nuclear poo poo and Nioh came out extremely well. I'm optimistic that the LOTF guys learned something from their last outing at the very least

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Surge's gameplay videos look more promising than Lords of the Fallen--it looks like they've learned how to give your attack animations acceleration and impact, at least, with a good amount of animation pause on hit, so that's an upgrade. It remains to be seen whether the game itself will be at all interesting, though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stux posted:

i had/have a character who lives in the belltower, wearing the butterfly poison aoe armor with powerstanced poisoned weapons and it was the most fun pvp ive had in any of the dark souls games rip

I was a fan of the desert sorceress outfit while powerstancing the toxic frog whips. I can only hope people enjoyed the extremely weird fights I brought them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dark Souls 3 is going to be the game in the series that will always be remembered as "yeah that was a game" in the public opinion. Everyone will present their memories of DS1, all the many flaws and good things buried in DS2 and then DS3 will just be "yeah it was pretty good" with no strong memories to go along with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That one knight with Venom hiding inside him you fight early on is pretty cool-lookin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's probably telling about my own stance on Dark Souls 3 that I really couldn't care less about its DLC. I enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it, but I'm done with it, I think. In fact, the only Souls games I could see myself replaying ever again would be Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

If FromSoft never made another game with that formula, I'd kinda be okay with that. If they did and managed to make it really different and in a cool new setting, awesome, I'm in. But if they announce an actual Bloodborne 2 or Dark Souls 4 or something like that I'll probably be a huge rear end in a top hat on forums about it and everyone will block me :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
In ten years DS2 will be remembered as the one that had that kick-rear end skeleton chariot boss

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Gamexplain did a video analyzing the Destiny 2 reveal image. I think.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fallout shelter finally on steam tomorrow

http://store.steampowered.com/app/588430/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Full D2 trailer March 30, also Fillion gonna Fillion:

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/846798919786913794

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Harrow posted:

It's probably telling about my own stance on Dark Souls 3 that I really couldn't care less about its DLC. I enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it, but I'm done with it, I think. In fact, the only Souls games I could see myself replaying ever again would be Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

If FromSoft never made another game with that formula, I'd kinda be okay with that. If they did and managed to make it really different and in a cool new setting, awesome, I'm in. But if they announce an actual Bloodborne 2 or Dark Souls 4 or something like that I'll probably be a huge rear end in a top hat on forums about it and everyone will block me :v:

I'd be down with them making a weird modern-day biohorror thing. From Software presents: a Parasite Eve reboot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I'd be down with them making a weird modern-day biohorror thing. From Software presents: a Parasite Eve reboot.

:eyepop: Fund it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
A super slow paced shooter might be cool, kinda like last of us multiplayer where I can count out how many shots it'll take to kill a person at the same time as shooting them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would love more games like PE1/2

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'd rather see Mama Souls, a reboot of Nintendo's popular Cooking Mama franchise.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If From does a modern setting, I hope they set it in the US (and hopefully not NY or LA) instead of the obvious Tokyo.

Japanese studios depicting American settings is always great stuff

E: that reminds me, I still want wild west souls

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell I wish fixed angle cameras hadn't disappeared from games.

• Locked thread