Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
To clarify: Do not charge, LLSix. We cannot risk you being dragged down into a melee when we have no idea what's beyond the units you can see. Either stand and fire to clear them out or withdraw into your trench, please. I'm sure an opportunity to get stuck in will come later, when it can do more good than just throwing away an entire brigade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
With the above, my revised map:

Hopefully we'll disrupt them enough to give the advantage one way or the other.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Pretty sure the units you're targeting in the south are already dead. Also, please don't hit in friendly fire range of me.

Has anyone given orders to the engineers? They can remove the barb wire behind me.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 28, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I think you can go without indirect ordered fire in the south entirely, known enemy forces there are very weak, just launch the other indirect missions and be ready to support in either direction in case that fat rear end bef inf bde waddles into combat with either

~just some thoughts~

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 28, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Added Space posted:

Pretty sure the units you're targeting in the south are already dead. Also, please don't hit in friendly fire range of me.

Has anyone given orders to the engineers? They can remove the barb wire behind me.

I took it as those units occupying the position of other killed units, otherwise they too would have been removed from the board. If I've been reading the board wrong this whole time, please let me know. I'll tweak a bit more tomorrow.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I will start writing up orders to move into the forest to protect the town and our artillery. There is the potential for a lot of trouble to come up that way.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Posting from a mobile my cpu is currently borked and well If I could post orders from this device I would but I haven't the foggiest idea how to use a phone for that and mere thought of trying to edit maps on this thing gives me shivers. I discussed what I wanted to do in rolls back when I had things working. Though if you guys want to radically change my orders I don't mind and besides there wouldn't be much I could do about it given the situation.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 28, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaguars! posted:

Plenty of failed charges in the first game. That's why it was so surprising when the one cav charge on the hill worked so well. Before that the French lost two full brigades attepting to assault St Croissant for the loss single figures of german companies. The German Bde that countercharged was wiped out too.

Charging appears to be useful only if
- You absolutely need to force an enemy to retreat
- You are attacking a disordered force in the open

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Firstly, thanks for commenting on my draft orders, LLSix. The formation has to be changed anyway because I forgot about an MG, I have two infantry ones! At that point i don't think there's anything worth worrying about formation-wise really, just form a line and put the extra inf on one side or another. I attempted to respond to each of the two other points you made - conditional orders for a dead 86th and dealing with the other brigades around - by making what I hope are flexible, easy-to-read orders

without further ado

===ORDERS: 4th or Whatever Bavarian Cavalry Division We Are, Really Just 2nd Cavalry Brigade, and The Remnants of Probably the 89th Infantry Division===
there are no headers in the grim darkness of, like, wow we are so hosed and our friends are dead but here goes~

Cavalry

HQs:
-Div HQ is to hang out like 4" northeast of the northern artillery park in case you can help convey orders or something. (somebody please tell me if this matters at all or if i should do anything else with this hypothetical guy)
-2 Bde HQ is to bang rally every Infantry/InfMG chit, moving as short a distance as possible to do so, conveying them their orders (see arrows in Figure 1), then cross the ford and set up in the clear. Try to stay within 12" of both the cav and inf chits, but don't follow the cav if they charge off.

Cavalry/MG chits:

In one sentence:
pre:
Set up behind the infantry so your Standing Orders create a last-moment unspotted counter-charge to, well, counter an enemy charge on the infantry's left flank.
-NOT waiting for 2bde's HQ chit to finish its mission, follow the arrows to the location and formation in Figure 1, ~8" behind the infantry's left flank. Charge enemies within 12", win the fight, then return to positions in Figure 1. MG will lay down supporting fire.

Cavalry Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

Cavalry Battle Formation is visible in Figure 1.

~Intermission~

Let's just put Figure 1 here:

Figure 1. The location of the routed infantry (blue circle) and allied infantry (red chits) are approximate of course, but it's got arrows and a cavalry 'formation'. If there were German infantry chits in the red positions, this is where I think the conditionals would take my infantry.

Infantry

lol there is no hq - Listen for the screaming of 2 Bde's HQ.

Infantry/MG chits:

In one sentence:
pre:
Extend the infantry's right flank if possible, otherwise get us a position in the Foret de Effyaders on the road, but if the BEF is out of the Foret just defend.
Once you're done routing and 2 Bde's HQ has whacked you in the head with a saber inspired you enough to follow these orders, assemble north of the northern ford-to-CC road (first inf arrow in Figure 1; if you're closer to the ford when you're unrouted then assemble closer) and march in Battle Order across the ford (second arrow), down the road toward the Foret de Effyaders. Two conditionals follow in chronological order:

pre:
----As you travel toward the 86th's last known positions, on the road west of the ford:

-IF you spot German infantry in Defense or Attack stance, either not in combat or in rifle fire: 
Extend their right flank, moving in Attack if they are attacking and Defending if they are defending.

-IF you spot German infantry in Close Combat with enemy units:
Destroy the enemy by charging (overriding Standing Orders).
When all enemy forces are dead or fleeing, return to Standing Orders and re-check this conditional.

-IF you spot enemy units east of the German infantry, or only enemy units:
If you can initiate Close Combat with them this turn, enter Close Combat (overriding Standing Orders). Otherwise defend as normal.
When all enemy forces are dead or fleeing, re-check this conditional.

-IF you get inside the forest and find no-one at all:
Assemble in the trenches just inside the Foret, straddling the road with MGs at the center, and Defend.
pre:
----Once you've first evaluated the conditional above (so immediately afterward, on the same turn) and on every subsequent turn:

-IF German reinforcements show up with orders to take positions on or in front of you: 
Extend their right flank, moving in Attack if they are attacking and Defending if they are defending.
I looked at Fathis Munk's orders and I can see that in theory we could have other brigades' chits extending to the northern map edge. If so, great; if somebody else has the right flank within 2" of the northern map edge, stay in the rear. If/when we experience attrition, though, I'm hoping these infantry chits I whacked in the head with a saber inspired can supplement everybody else's plans by helping keep up the right flank regardless of where it ends up being.

2 Bde HQ will try to stay within 12" of them, if that helps any.

Infantry Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders (if possible, this gets superseded if your conditionals have you supporting a company in Attack)
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

Infantry Battle Formation:

Figure 2

~fin~

i'll be around for a little while tonight, and i might possibly be able to do phone-posting before the deadline, but i won't be able to tinker with this to the very end this time, im afraid

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 28, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Posting from a mobile my cpu is currently borked and well If I could post orders from this device I would but I haven't the foggiest idea how to use a phone for that and mere thought of trying to edit maps on this thing gives me shivers. I discussed what I wanted to do in rolls back when I had things working. Though if you guys want to radically change my orders I don't mind and besides there wouldn't be much I could do about it given the situation.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get it sorted soon!

Stopgap orders for Brigade 'A'

1. Enter the Chemin de Creux in marching order and shake out into attack formation on the 4th turn (turn 35).

quote:

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Halt and switch to defending stance
When attacking the enemy,use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 1/2 casualties

2. Cross the ford and advance west.

quote:

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance,
halt and switch the defend orders.

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Do not pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

Stopgap orders for Brigade 'D' (Entering at La Dand, t36)

1. Take the following route from La Dand:

quote:

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Halt and switch to defending stance
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 1/2 casualties

2. Cross the ford and advance west. Park behind any friendly brigades occupying the objective zone.

quote:

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance,
halt and switch the defend orders.

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Do not pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Yes they're obviously nicked from earlier, consider it a vote of confidence!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Brigade should move North into Taillis douche and take up defensive position as shown in second picture.

Map for arrow tax.

Change to standing orders
Since the situation has changed, Brigade should disregard previous orders about assisting the 87th if they come under fire. Brigade shall keep to a defensive posture for now.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders received so far:

Corps command(Tatankatonk)

Saros' Cavdiv
2. Semi-mounted Partisan and Command group(S H M F M von Austern-Krötenfisch)

4th Saxon Division (Aphid_Licker)

86th Infantry(Added space)

87th Infantry(Capfalcon/LLsix) - If you are going to amend your orders then please edit your original post -then it still links here.

88th Infantry (Ikasuhito)

Some division from outer swabia or that one village outside Potsdam that refuses to communicate with anyone or something(Jaguars!)

Ambiguous groups 'A' and 'D' (Jaguars!)

Unidentified Male Caucasians 'B'(Koolkevz666) (Look pretty good to me, BTW)

A bunch of 'C'ryptohungarians or something (Fathis Munk)

Artillerists (Sniper4625)

[url=] Injunirs[/url] Someone please post.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 28, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hopefully this doesn't seem too mean-spirited, but...

cokerpilot posted:

I discussed what I wanted to do in rolls back when I had things working.

This is one of just many excellent reasons why I encourage you to post ITT as much as possible and to bring as much discussion as possible out of Roll20 and post it ITT :eng101:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dhD9zR6hk

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 28, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jaguars! posted:

Stopgap orders for Brigade 'D' (Entering at La Dand, t36)

1. Take the following route from La Dand:

2. Cross the ford and advance west. Park behind any friendly brigades occupying the objective zone.

Battle Formation

Yes they're obviously nicked from earlier, consider it a vote of confidence!

Im taking command of Brigade D and remaining in command of the engineers

Brigade D:
Jaguars orders above are fine.

Cav Engineers:

Southern engineer:

Move to the northernmost part of the dug out trench and begin to lay wire as shown, I have had to estimate the extent of the trench but dont leave it's concealment.
If enemies are spotted moving towards the engineers or within 12'' and there are no friendly troops in the trench retreat east to the sunken road. Retreat if you or the units around you are taking fire.

Northern Engineer:

Move to and remove the enemy barbed wire. Then move NE along the road as indicated and begin digging trenches shown in red. Retreat eastwards if threatened or friendly troops are retreating past you.

Infantry Engineers:

1st and 2nd Engineer: Enter CC and proceed SW as shown to the gunline. Once arrived begin digging entrenchments for the artillery.

If you spot enemies within 12'' you are to retreat east for two turns at max speed unless there is significant infriendly forces between you and them. Retreat if you or the units around you are taking fire.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Can you order the northern engineers to clear the wire behind me?

Also I'm not sure I'll last 4 rounds so marching right towards me is dangerous.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I have ordered them to remove the wire? Im marching along behind a reinforcement bde so hopefully I should be fine.

[e] Oh holy poo poo the second Cav eng are alive I thought they were dead! Ill edit it in.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 28, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I already feel sorry for us

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol at us. I bet my orders end up being disastrous somehow, they have been so far

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The incoming division, by the way, is the 26th (Wurttemburg) Division, with 51st (A) through 54th (D) Brigades.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Württemberg is notable for being the second coolest half of the modern state of Baden-Württemberg (the first rule of Baden-Württemberg is that you do not talk about Hohenzollern [Southwest Germany inside joke heyooo]). Their flag is kinda lame but their coat of arms is PROPER SICK:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah that's a pretty sweet crest! Still expecting something to fail at some point because our divisions won't talk to each other or something.

Thanks for taking the brigade Saros, this stuff is starting to take up all my spare time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://vimeo.com/125064954

You look up and notice that the sky is beginning to cloud over worryingly as afternoon turns to evening.

Day 2, Turn 32
German initiative

The 2nd Cavalry Brigade fails to change its orders.

The 86th Brigade fails to change its orders; it's on Attack stance and it has initiative, so it advances into contact.

The 87th Brigade fails to change its orders, and doesn't budge a smegging inch. I switch dice.

The 88th Brigade fails to change its orders, and continues to provide overwatch on the ford.

The 51st and 52nd Brigades bring orders onto the field with them, which I assume is the only reason that they too didn't fail to change. And, looky looky, here come some howitzers. Maybe they can actually shoot something this time?

Initiative denies the 87th the chance to open fire on the enemy, as indirect fire falls on their heads along with the enemy's rifle fire.

More indirect fire lands on OTF's head and kills him; inside Effyaders, the BEF has a little trouble with friendly fire, but still hits a few of the 86th's companies. Oh yeah, and a lunatic brigadier on a horse bursts out of the wood at you, and if the 86th had fallen back this turn, they could well have been facing down dual bayonet and cavalry charges; as it is, the cav is forced to hang back and use its rifles.

Your MGs have considerable trouble finding the mark as the BEF's defensive fire takes its toll, but you do have companies survive to contact...

They charge...

and mulch through the enemy, with three enemy companies dead, including the brigade commander. The rest of the brigade fails its morale check, and retreats suppressed. Oh, but guess who else needs a morale check?

The really weird thing is, it's even showing the same number every time...

PS: Your unlimbered guns fired off some indirect fire, and mostly couldn't see the result.

Day 2, Turn 33
British initiative

The 88th Brigade halts, still working off its initial orders.

The remnants of the 89th are successfully scooped up by the advancing 51st.

Having lost initiative, the 86th is now pinned in place by a cavalry charge, and it desperately yells for support.

The guns outside Stethoscope oblige and take a chunk out of the enemy cavalry. Then it closes to contact and something interesting happens.

The right-hand MG is in a trench. One enemy cavalry company bears down on it. The MG forces that company to retreat suppressed. A second enemy company follows. The MG kills it. Trench fighting! It's much less of a sure thing than close combat in the open...

The weight of indirect fire increases to the south; some of it is being aimed at your barbed wire.

The 87th, having lost initiative, does manage to get some hits in on the enemy in Trench J.

PS: Down in the south-eastern corner of Effyaders, the enemy appears to have brought another machine-gun up, although it didn't manage to hit any of your men.

Day 2, Turn 34
British initiative

The British cavalry tries again in Effyaders; you would have succeeded at changing your orders this turn, except the brigade commander is retreating suppressed, and when that happens the brigade loses its orders and cannot attempt to change until the next phase.

The 88th gets its change of orders and moves; the 87th does not.

Speaking of the 87th, it observes as more BEF indirect fire destroys your barbed wire for good.

The newly-enlarged 51st spots some enemy arse hortillery.

You lose a mortar, but indirect fire begins falling on their guns.

The enemy struggles again with friendly fire as they charge; one machine-gun is forced to retreat suppressed, but the other two defend themselves. Your trench mortars also fire into life and kill a charging cavalry company before being affected.

The 87th, still failing to change its orders, sees this and shoots at it.

And then it makes a morale check with a fresh die.

"The same number as last year?" "The same number as every year!" I reflect on whether using the black die with white numbers was the best choice.

Day 2, Turn 35
British initiative

The 88th takes up its positions and the 51st, obeying its standing orders, adopts Battle Order and then switches to Defend. More indirect fire crashes in from your guns; the enemy's do not appear to be firing at any position that you can see.

The enemy is running very low on men, but they didn't make it to contact this turn. (Important note: this image is from after the rally phase, during which two of their cav companies rallied from suppression.) Th cav then makes a morale check, I stick with the black-and-white die, and this time it rolls as well as it was possible to roll. Of course.

Mid-update overview...

The forwardmost red marker in the rear indicate where the 52nd Brigade is. As you digest this information, you hear the noise of an aeroplane passing somewhere above Ferme Inutille...

Day 2, Turn 36
British initiative

More indirect fire rains down on the British cavalry, killing all of them, along with one of the 86th's infantry companies. The 86th has been heavily knocked about, but they've survived.

At this point, all your men are either on Defend stance, have lost their orders, or are marching up from the rear, and so...

Day 2, Turn 37
British initiative

...nobody came...

Day 2, Turn 38
German initiative

The only thing that happens this turn is that your engineer returns to the forest and finishes destroying the barbed wire.

Day 2, Turn 39
German initiative

...and nobody came. The position at nightfall is as follows.

This is the last thing you see before night rules take effect.

In addition, the weather is deteriorating. There is a chance on every subsequent turn that it will begin to rain. The effects of rain will be given to you as they, ahem, take effect; depending on how hard it rains, this may include reduced spotting, certain types of fire becoming more (or less) effective, trouble trying to cross fords, interesting times in the trenches, and more. It's a real magical mystery tour!

The date for the next deadline is uncertain. Plan for it to be Thursday 30th March, but don't be surprised if it gets bumped to Friday 31st, and there's an off-chance it might go further to Saturday 1st (no, really, it might). The next update will be 12 turns long.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 29, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well that was bloody and ugly. Also my men and I seem to have fallen into a wormhole judging from the last map.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The ghost of Brigadier General Pater Meus, 7th Cavalry Brigade, sends you the following message as night falls.

quote:

Nice battlefield you've got there. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEja72NSg5Q

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I say we go for it - push up through the forest as much as possible to have a commanding position at first light.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Orders to follow shortly.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Hrm...

do we know if there are birts in those trenches or not?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:ohdear:

I was going to be more defensively minded. Keep in mind they used their spotter plane on Ferme Inutille so they probably saw our gunline. Plus -

Update posted:

PS: Down in the south-eastern corner of Effyaders, the enemy appears to have brought another machine-gun up, although it didn't manage to hit any of your men.

If we do anything but follow the forest road, we have a chance of bumbling into one of their huge infantry brigades.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The ones at the corner of the Effyaders forest? The cav that occupied them before is gone. There is a small but real possibility that they may be occupied by the #2 BEF brigade that we saw in the previous update.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah we are missing a BEF infantry Bde right? My guess is either the trenches in the center or the SE of FdE.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

We should probably operate under the assumption that it is in fact occupied then.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

IV CORPS ORDERS

Wonderful! Simply wonderful! We have, at the cost of much spilled blood, smashed through the British lines and now we must secure our advantage with bold and decisive action. Generals, put your faith in me and yourselves and we will shortly be standing on the English Channel celebrating!

Here are your orders! Follow them unflinchingly and we will win!

40th (Saxon) Division

Well done! Thanks to your selfless heroism, the line across the river has held. Now, you can rest, consolidate, and watch reinforcements march past. aphid_licker, you have total freedom to consolidate the remnants of your command however you like. Please leave Ikasuhito's brigade in its current position to watch our southern flank.

26th (Wurttemburg) Division

You are now the spearhead of our advance! Your 52nd (White), 51st (Light Blue), and 53rd (Dark Blue brigades) (see map) will continue in a night march along the road leading through Foret de Effyaders. Once they reach the T intersection, proceed directly west across the Droit and Gauche farms until you hit the river, then cross into Effyaders. The (54th) pink brigade will continue onto Stethoscope and occupy the marked trenches.

But!, you will exclaim, don't we need to clear the forest? No, you will not go south looking for a fight. We have one single win condition: occupying Effyaders! If the British still had anything left to throw at us at the moment, they would have done it this turn. I am making the risky but potentially game-winning decision that there now stands nothing between us and our target, or at least nothing in sufficient strength to stop us. We must operate on the assumption that we have punched through and that whoever moves first in a decisive fashion with the most force concentrated along a single axis will win. Your left flank will be protected by an artillery strike on suspected BEF positions in the Southeast corner of the Foret. Advance! The road should help you navigate at night, so don't stray from them.

(If you run into enemy reinforcements along your southern front, keep moving west. If you run into enemies stopping you from moving westwards, you must fight and break through them no matter the casualties.)

1st (Guards) Division

You are not yet arrived on the map, but Saros is assigned to be its commander. Once you arrive, plan on following the axis of advance shown here.

Artillery

Sniper, you are tasked with carrying out FIREPLAN: BREXIT as seen on the map. Focus as many guns as you can on this part of the Foret; if any BEF force is in there, it must be suppressed while our forces move past it. This is your highest priority target.

Engineers

Continue to construct a bridge on the northernmost extremity of the stream between the Chemin Creux and Foret so our troops have an easier time of crossing in bulk. There is a stray Cavalry Engineer chit near the south ford; someone please withdraw it to safety near Stethoscope for now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hahaha I feel bad for the pixeltruppen under my command. so many words and nothing comes of it. best laid plans, mice and men. they're how the turn went generally I guess - but we're in the fde

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Where did the guards division come from? I don't recall seeing anything about it.

:rip:S H M F M von Austern-Krötenfisch

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 29, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Tank you're ordering brigades off on their own, in the dark into probably enemy reinforcements. This really is not a good plan. Even if they break through one they arrive they won't be able to receive any orders or get artllery support and will get torn apart by new BEF units.

Your absolute best case scenario results in losing basically the whole division as the BEF uses its interior lines to crush them in force and in the more likely case they all die stumbling over newly arriving reinforcements in the night.

Finally the defensive positions are not good, we should move forward and dig in under cover of darkness not take up very far back positions, indeed ones so far our artillery cant even reach most enemy sites. Secondly after some shooting we need to move the artillery as they have likely spotted us and are positioning for counter-battery fire.

Please reconsider, we need to use the night to position for a renewed morning offensive not send everyone haring off into the darkness to get killed.

[edit]

quote:

Added S. (GM):
Hmmm
All it says is that it's harder to change orders under certain circumstances, no numbers of course.

Trin Tragula (GM):

there's a post where I went into more detail

Added S. (GM):
So, if we were in the middle of the trois freres we'd just have to make a roll of unspecified difficulty

Trin Tragula (GM):
when I was detailing the change from the runner syste,m
if you were in the middle of Trois Freres, lol
I'll tell you that for free
good luck unless you take DHQ with you

Saros (GM):

then it will be out of telephone contact

Trin Tragula (GM):

I say again
lol

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I mostly like those orders, myself. A few points -

We're going to get hopelessly lost if we step off a road at night.

They may well have collapsed the northern and southern bridges leading into Effydars.

Only engineers can deal with barb wire. We should consider bringing along the northern engineers, either for that or building a bridge into Effydars.

There's every chance we'll run head first into a reinforcement column. This isn't necessarily a huge problem, but we'll have to make sure our units are marching close enough to reinforce eachother if they get into trouble.

There's currently nothing at all between the southern British infantry and La Dand.

We'll have to write orders up in great detail if we're sending units out of contact, plan for several contingencies, once they're out on that limb we can't fine tune them.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Put it this way. I am willing to go for it in a way that doesn't throw away our advantage needlessly. One thing for sure though, I will need that fourth brigade to come through all the way into the forest, we have enormous lines of communication to defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

With this plan, there's no reason not to take the div HQ with them, which neatly solves the orders problem. Although that does mean the 54th and maybe one of the artillery groups should follow the rest of the 26th (Wurttemburg) Division.

Fake Edit: Ha Ha. All that arguing about my orders and instead my dudes just stood around getting shot at.

• Locked thread