Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its really just that they've built up a really tight bubble of the internet, radio, and tv where they can bounce those ideas and spins off each other really quickly and see how it flies. You can float some ideas out with Fox and Friends and Breitbart articles, expand them on talk radio during the day, and have feedback and revised spin from Twitter and the internet by the time the evening anchors show up to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Ted Koppel straight up called out Sean Hannity saying he's "bad for America" during an interview with him.

Hannity isn't taking it well:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/846146281890365440

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/846067040582545414

nice meltdown

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

STAC Goat posted:

I think its really just that they've built up a really tight bubble of the internet, radio, and tv where they can bounce those ideas and spins off each other really quickly and see how it flies. You can float some ideas out with Fox and Friends and Breitbart articles, expand them on talk radio during the day, and have feedback and revised spin from Twitter and the internet by the time the evening anchors show up to work.

Either way, the same approach works. That is why I mentioned anticipating RWM arguments and the ease of doing so.

I am confused as to why you seem to keep arguing RNC pundit prep memos don't exist or are irrelevant. Yes, there is a small but nonzero amount of free will in the RWM to choose their topics. Some stories will organically gain momentum. But others are planted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

seiferguy posted:

Ted Koppel straight up called out Sean Hannity saying he's "bad for America" during an interview with him.

Hannity isn't taking it well:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/846146281890365440

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/846067040582545414

"Yeah, Koppel, not cool to release that edited video and take me out of context like that. Typical fake news. Coming up tonight on "Hannity!", the latest video from James O'Keefe. You don't wanna miss that."

edit: "James" O'Keefe

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 27, 2017

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

"Yeah, Koppel, not cool to release that edited video and take me out of context like that. Typical fake news. Coming up tonight on "Hannity!", the latest video from George O'Keefe. You don't wanna miss that."

james =)

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

He got confused because really dense people claim James isn't a giant pussy, but he totally is. :iamafag:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

He got confused because really dense people claim James isn't a giant pussy, but he totally is. :iamafag:

Excuse me he is a beautiful flower person

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Excuse ME you're being very impolite to vaginas and flowers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Extensive Vamping posted:

Either way, the same approach works. That is why I mentioned anticipating RWM arguments and the ease of doing so.

I am confused as to why you seem to keep arguing RNC pundit prep memos don't exist or are irrelevant. Yes, there is a small but nonzero amount of free will in the RWM to choose their topics. Some stories will organically gain momentum. But others are planted.

I think I see the "memos" thing as two possible ideas.

"There is one body sending everyone a memo to cover" and "they all compile their talking points quickly because it's a groupthink". The latter is the one that I think is true, the former seems overly conspiratorial to me. So I guess the "memo" line just triggers the idea of one source to me instead of the idea that they all just repeat each other in an echo chamber.

I don't think there's some GOP powerbroker or group sending memos, they just live in a bubble.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Much of the mainstream media and progressive blogosphere is now past the point of recognizing irony. This week, for example, commentators are crowing with glee at TIME Magazine’s upcoming cover, an all-black background with three words in bold red: “Is Truth Dead?” They are referring, everyone presumes, to Donald Trump’s tendency to play fast and loose with the facts, and then simply ignore follow-up questions that happen to prove he was mistaken.

But the question is a good one, and deserves a less obvious answer.

What many people have already noticed is that this cover is based on the infamous—some say iconic—TIME cover from April 8, 1966. That issue of TIME also featured a black background with three bold red letters: “Is God Dead?”

Of course, once you have declared that God is dead, you have already declared that truth is dead, as well. That obituary just takes a bit longer to write as a prodigal society sputters along on the very last fumes of its Judeo-Christian heritage. Go onto any university campus and debate an issue like abortion, and you will meet hundreds of students—many of them in departments like philosophy—who say there is no such thing as truth. The vast majority of millennials now believe that each person can define reality for his or herself.

Of course truth is dead. Our culture killed it, long before Donald Trump showed up. He is the symptom, not the problem. TIME Magazine had quite a hand in this, as their 2014 cover story “The Transgender Tipping Point” was itself considered to be the tipping point by many trans activists—they had won the cover of TIME, after all. They had broken into the mainstream. The media, in this case TIME Magazine, is doing what it always does: It champions some new and often bizarre progressive cause, and then reports on that cause as it gains ground as a result of the attention it received from the media.

This insanity will not end well. It is worth mentioning that Nietzsche himself, one of the key philosophers who laid the intellectual groundwork for Christianity’s ejection for the public square, eventually went insane himself. Which, when you think about it, is the most logical result of the philosophy he put forward.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I misread that as "Is Trump Dead" and was disappointed it wasn't a conspiracy theory that the lizard people had killed Trump and was wearing his skin as a suit to, as a means of explaining away his support for the health care bill and his turn away from populism.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

not really sure what they're gettin' at here. Is this 45th dimensional chess?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

quote:

Go onto any university campus and debate an issue like abortion, and you will meet hundreds of students—many of them in departments like philosophy—who say there is no such thing as truth. The vast majority of millennials now believe that each person can define reality for his or herself.
Man, I would love to see polling numbers on "can a person define reality for themselves" and "is there such a thing as truth", especially if they literally used that phrasing.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I think I see the "memos" thing as two possible ideas.

"There is one body sending everyone a memo to cover" and "they all compile their talking points quickly because it's a groupthink". The latter is the one that I think is true, the former seems overly conspiratorial to me. So I guess the "memo" line just triggers the idea of one source to me instead of the idea that they all just repeat each other in an echo chamber.

I don't think there's some GOP powerbroker or group sending memos, they just live in a bubble.

Except we've been posting evidence they are real over the last few pages, so...

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

I mean where do you think the phrase "Talking Points Memo" originated?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sloober posted:

not really sure what they're gettin' at here. Is this 45th dimensional chess?

Based on the snippet posted: the author is either doing a bit, or he's managed to con a publisher (with bad QC/editors) with his own cursory understanding of Nietzsche shoehorned in to fit their dominionist anger-tainment agenda.

Either way, a dumb organization probably spent money to buy and publish some junk which reflects poorly on them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean where do you think the phrase "Talking Points Memo" originated?

I'm just trying to say that I think they're tabulated from the echo chamber and then disseminated rather than handed down from Darth Koch or something.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don't know anyone who thinks that truth is some malleable thing. Republicans are just mad that the truth disagrees with them.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

MokBa posted:

I don't know anyone who thinks that truth is some malleable thing. Republicans are just mad that the truth disagrees with them.

Yeah, it really is amazing how spot-on Stephen Colbert was when he said that "reality has a well-known liberal bias."

c.f. "truthiness"

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just trying to say that I think they're tabulated from the echo chamber and then disseminated rather than handed down from Darth Koch or something.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/jfnpwb/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-i-can-t-believe-it-got-better-

2:00 in.

It's shady and they try to keep it secret, but yes, the RNC controls messaging more or less directly for the RWM, and almost entirely for Fox News.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

MokBa posted:

If you back them in a corner, for example, by proving their claim Obama is a narcissist is patently absurd, they retreat to "well that's my opinion". Which really means "I know this is false but it's what my team wants me to believe".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

How much does anyone want to wager that if they air the entire interview between Koppel and Hannity that nothing would change? Like there'd be absolutely ZERO contextual elements revealed that would qualify it a hatchet job?

And don't Hannity and O'Reilly, et al routinely air edited interviews on their shows? Pretty sure everyone does and it's common practice. OK, Sean. Let's see the REST of the interview where you pretended to care about poor people and offered up all of this incredible insight into your "character", you greasy, slimy turd of used car salesman. They probably edited out all the parts where you attempted to explain what Trump REALLY meant in tweets 500 thru 750.

And he's still on and on about the loving leaks and why it's a crime and that's the REAL story that no one is talking about. He said today that "this has been going on for EIGHT MONTHS" without a hint of irony or self reflection. He'll say "these leaks are the REAL story" and "this investigation has gone on FAR too long" and then segue into Julian Assange and loving Benghazi.

Good on Ted Koppel and gently caress Sean Hannity forever.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/846475641079902212

We all knew what she was, but she sure doesn't hide it these days.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

To be fair, she hasn't been hiding it since 9/11.

Anne Coulter, 12 September 2001 posted:

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

If you back them in a corner, for example, by proving their claim Obama is a narcissist is patently absurd, they retreat to "well that's my opinion". Which really means "I know this is false but it's what my team wants me to believe".

Blue Lies

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Wait

Are you saying they don't come from rooms that look like this?

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Thank you! Good article, sound reasoning but incorrect conclusion. I think a better strategy is just to say "But you know that's not true."

Kenzie posted:

Wait

Are you saying they don't come from rooms that look like this?

No, it's this one:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

And don't Hannity and O'Reilly, et al routinely air edited interviews on their shows? Pretty sure everyone does and it's common practice.

Hannity constantly plays single lines of statements/speeches out of context to make people look like they're saying something completely different from what they actually said.

When I listened to him today he would not shut up about the Ted Koppel interview. During his rant he made the statement "You know, I really don't care about it," which is of course why he spent twenty minutes explaining just how much he didn't care. But yeah, he's real mad about this, accusing the MSM of manipulating facts and creating fake news by picking and choosing what to report on (like he loving doesn't, that's how every news/opinion show works and has ever worked). He said he was the champion of the people and that "This is the difference between me and you, Ted Koppel, is I have the integrity to talk about stories like why Obama repeatedly ordered the military to stand down and not help the people at Benghazi, why he lied and said it was a video when they knew it wasn't true, and knew it from day one."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Reminder: the woman apropos of nothing once tweeted out "14!" and then had to scramble for a defense of "oh I was just counting down the days till Obama was out of office, I swear" when the call/response wave of "88!"s started flowing in and even the dimmest bulbs started to go "Hey, Annie. That was a tad crypto-facist of you. Are you al(t)right there?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Let's play a fun game of "spot the intellectual dishonesty!"

https://twitter.com/rwtquotes/status/846512417723092993

Here's a snippet of a conversation between Rick Santorum and David Axelrod about health insurance. At the end of the clip, Rick says that "there have been many studies done that show that people on Medicaid actually have worse health outcomes than people without health insurance". Rick is correct when he says this, but he's still being incredibly dishonest; why?

Because healthy people are always the ones who think they can get away with not having health insurance because they're healthy. Once they get sick, all of a sudden they need insurance otherwise they'll die, so if they're poor they get on Medicaid, and when those people continue to be sick or get worse, it makes Medicaid look worse despite the fact that this situation is *why* we have Medicaid in the first place!

Conclusion: give everyone health care except for Rick Santorum.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you drink Santorum please seek medical aid immediately

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Xibanya posted:

Here's some RWM! :suicide101:

How does someone write an article that's roughly 'The opposition is accusing me of :airquote: treason :airquote:' without even the slightest glimmer of self-awareness.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 28, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure where to put this.

When Hannity had Gingrich on yesterday they were talking about the budget and, as usual, the subject of "entitlement reform" came up.

Why is it I have never heard any politician or pundit, Republican or Democrat, ever once mention simply raising the cap on Social Security taxes to instantly make it solvent? That's the only reason it's considered insolvent and unsustainable - the 90% of people with any real money don't pay into it after the first $115,000 or so.

Why are FICA contributions even capped anyway?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

BiggerBoat posted:

When Hannity had Gingrich on yesterday they were talking about the budget and, as usual, the subject of "entitlement reform" came up.

Why is it I have never heard any politician or pundit, Republican or Democrat, ever once mention simply raising the cap on Social Security taxes to instantly make it solvent? That's the only reason it's considered insolvent and unsustainable - the 90% of people with any real money don't pay into it after the first $115,000 or so.

"Shut up you filthy loving poor" - Most if not all Republicans

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

"Shut up you filthy loving poor" - Most if not all Republicans

How come no Democrats ever mention this though? I doubt that most people are even aware that SS/FICA taxes are capped or, if they are aware of it, probably don't know why. I don't know why.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

How come no Democrats ever mention this though? I doubt that most people are even aware that SS/FICA taxes are capped or, if they are aware of it, probably don't know why. I don't know why.

When was the last time you heard a Democrat (or any politician, really) be able to say the words "raise" and "tax" in a sentence without getting lynched?

Hell, look at all the hay Republicans made about the ACA raising taxes, even though it only really affected the +100k crowd. And that's without factoring in all the HENRYs and temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
RWM roundup time!

Holy hell is everybody racist and/or bending over to deny the Russia story today.

Nattyreview: The Russian Farce
Fox: 'COMMUNITIES AT RISK' Team Trump cites stats, horror stories to show dangers of santuary cities
Daily Caller: still loving the Podesta chicken
Drudge LA MAYOR VOWS SANCTUARY ILLEGALS FREE TO ROAM
Infowars: Too Many White Students Leads To Budget Cuts for LA School

and you too can join the fun with my neato tool here! http://xibanya.github.io/frontpages :suicide101:

E:

what the hell?? Is the Blaze complaining that some sensitive SJW snowflakes need a safe space from...kids dressing up in KKK hoods? :pwn:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/28/school-play-canceled-after-kkk-costumes-offend-students-uncomfortable-with-that-part-of-history/

.... :gonk: yes, yes it is

:cry:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BiggerBoat posted:

Something about "skin in the game", idk

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Phone posted:

Something about "skin in the game", idk

"Well the thing is, people paying in benefits over that level aren't realistically going to get the same out! You see, that's the point of Social Security: a senseless extra checking account, created for no reason and definitely not protecting seniors from either homelessness or draining their social support networks of sustenance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/rob_bennett/status/846765205468205056

@rob_bennett: Vile. "You saw what happened to Whitney Houston. Step away from the crack pipe..." - @EricBolling to @MaxineWaters https://t.co/CWMcJbQNIm