Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SourKraut posted:

So if I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I flashed to 5,1 and then upgraded the processor to a hex core (so it wouldn't be easy to flash back), if I had to replace the PSU, could I still use the disks that normally came with it to reset the fan profiles?

And for the next question, if I bought the Mac Pro used and didn't get the disks, is there any way to obtain them?

You could, though you can just burn a Sierra disc or install smcFanControl to edit the fan profiles. That's what I've done.

W3690 is a bargain chip for that machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Theophany posted:

You could, though you can just burn a Sierra disc or install smcFanControl to edit the fan profiles. That's what I've done.

W3690 is a bargain chip for that machine.

Yeah, that's what I did - picked up a X5690 cheap and installed it. The machine was happily going along for several months before I heard a loud pop like a blown capacitor and haven't wanted to risk running it since.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Housh posted:

I want to hook up an awesome monitor when i get the 2016. Are there ones I can plug in hdmi though? I want to switch to play my console games like poo poo whoa.

I have a nice Asus 1440p monitor on my desk that has multiple inputs (hdmi, dvi, vga, and DisplayPort) and I have my gaming pc (dvi), MacBook Pro (DisplayPort) and Xbox one (hdmi) hooked up to it. A word of warning. If the monitor you pick is not 1080p the game console will look like poo poo. Even if you get a multiple of 1080p like 4K it will still be a blurry mess. The scalers in the monitor don't do pixel doubling, they just upscale whatever it gets to its native resolution and filters it which results in a blurry jaggy mess when playing the xbone. I don't know if any monitor that scales well and I tested out a bunch in stores by bringing in my laptop and forcing the resolution to 1080p and the resulting picture was always crap.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

GutBomb posted:

I have a nice Asus 1440p monitor on my desk that has multiple inputs (hdmi, dvi, vga, and DisplayPort) and I have my gaming pc (dvi), MacBook Pro (DisplayPort) and Xbox one (hdmi) hooked up to it. A word of warning. If the monitor you pick is not 1080p the game console will look like poo poo. Even if you get a multiple of 1080p like 4K it will still be a blurry mess. The scalers in the monitor don't do pixel doubling, they just upscale whatever it gets to its native resolution and filters it which results in a blurry jaggy mess when playing the xbone. I don't know if any monitor that scales well and I tested out a bunch in stores by bringing in my laptop and forcing the resolution to 1080p and the resulting picture was always crap.
I have a PS4 Pro. Wonder if that would look ok on a 4k monitor.

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

I have a PS4 Pro. Wonder if that would look ok on a 4k monitor.

It should look fine. The checkerboard rendering probably won't look as sharp as full native 4k but a lot less blurry than any interpolated resolution.

Good point by the way, 4k/UHD will be the new 1080p for those who use consoles with their monitor.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Phoenixan posted:

It's kind of a weird situation right now. I do all my graphic design work just fine on a 2013 Macbook Pro & a desktop I built 2 years ago on a budget of $700, and haven't felt the need to upgrade anything because my interest in AAA games has largely faded away.

This is what I'm gathering as well. What can't be done on an existing Mac, Macbook or Macbook Pro? Grant,ed, I think it's poor customer service that Apple is selling such old hardware in the Mac Pro and Mac Mini but we've got pretty good horsepower in both the current desktop and laptops.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

This is what I'm gathering as well. What can't be done on an existing Mac, Macbook or Macbook Pro? Grant,ed, I think it's poor customer service that Apple is selling such old hardware in the Mac Pro and Mac Mini but we've got pretty good horsepower in both the current desktop and laptops.

Mac users have historically not cared about raw performance numbers. I mean, who could be when Apple sold the same 400mhz G4 chip in various models for like 3 years? It's very possible we are outliers for even caring whether our Intel CPU is a tick or a tock. Any decrease in the number of Mac's sold probably would have occurred regardless of Apple's upgrade schedule, since the whole market is moving away from traditional computers.

My MBPnt really could benefit from more memory and I was annoyed to discover I couldn't charge my computer and connect my monitor and keyboard/mouse at the same time even with dongles (need different dongles). But loving A...if this computer isn't the best machine I've ever used. Even with a slightly older Intel processor and some hosed up port arrangements. I had to use my old MBP last night and the keyboard felt like I was typing on wet sand.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'll admit Apple peripheral decisions have been pretty up and down but overall OS X and the hardware is overwhelming solid even if it's behind.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 26, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Anybody mocking the Mac hardware line clearly hasn't tried to order a Dell XPS recently. Talk about a loving confused product line.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Theophany posted:

Anybody mocking the Mac hardware line clearly hasn't tried to order a Dell XPS recently. Talk about a loving confused product line.

I only recently learned that the product page can contain more than four different configurations. Yes it took me a decade to notice the left/right buttons on the page that tries to sell me poo poo.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Yes it took me a decade to notice the left/right buttons on the page that tries to sell me poo poo.

Well, historically the Mac mouse only had one button...

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Looking to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP 15 inch battery. I looked on Amazon and it seems like Anker does not sell the A1321 model battery replacement anymore. What would you guys recommend? I see a few ones on eBay that are titled to be "Genuine" but not sure if it's trustworthy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Busy Bee posted:

Looking to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP 15 inch battery. I looked on Amazon and it seems like Anker does not sell the A1321 model battery replacement anymore. What would you guys recommend? I see a few ones on eBay that are titled to be "Genuine" but not sure if it's trustworthy.

http://www.newertech.com/products/macbook_pro_15_2009_2010_battery.php

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Busy Bee posted:

you probably don't want a battery manufactured back in 2008 or whatever because it would have lost a lot of its capacity laying around in a warehouse

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Seems fairly expensive at $119... was hoping to find one for around $40 - $60

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Busy Bee posted:

Seems fairly expensive at $119... was hoping to find one for around $40 - $60

You can buy one of those on Amazon but it will only last 2-3 hours and might not last any more than a half an hour a year down the road.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm trying to get a 2016 rMBP to drive a couple external displays. First mistake was hoping I could chain the digital AV adapters, even though I know the USB-C port is supposed to pass power only? Anyhow, that didn't work.

Next up was two adapters in 2 ports, but one 4K display only does up to 30 hz over hdmi, 60 hz requires me to use the DisplayPort input. Confirmed this is true with a windows laptop with a DisplayPort output.

So I guess what are the cleanest and best options? Ideally I'd love to only have to plug one thing in, which I guess means a USB-C hub, but I'm not sure a single port on the MBP will support 4K @ 60 plus 1080 @ 60 ? Next is whether any of the USB-C to DisplayPort adapters work worth a drat. Or whether the apple av adapter into an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter would satisfy my cheap-rear end 4K display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's so loving annoying that Apple didn't release a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just got my 2016 15" and holy gently caress is it thin and amazing.

It just barely fits in my bag that was meant for a 13". I'm kinda worried about protection since there is no space or cushion at the top where it touches the zipper. I could try a sleeve or just look for a new bag.

This amazon basic bitches one holds a DSLR looks good: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CF5OGP8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2TOI4ILRCO3L5&coliid=I3C5W6V2BZ3FD6&psc=1

...otherwise any recommendations for a 15"

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 27, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

I love thin laptops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtTJKtXyx_Q&t=7s

Housh posted:

try cabbage or perhaps even a tomato

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Couldn't do that with my old MacBook

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Housh posted:

It just barely fits in my bag that was meant for a 13". I'm kinda worried about protection since there is no space or cushion at the top where it touches the zipper. I could try a sleeve or just look for a new bag.

This amazon basic bitches one holds a DSLR looks good: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CF5OGP8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2TOI4ILRCO3L5&coliid=I3C5W6V2BZ3FD6&psc=1

Buy a Crumpler. They are bags for life. I've had mine since my 2011 17" MBP and despite daily use since then it could easily pass as being brand new.

I now cart my 2014 15" rMPB every day in it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

my friend has this bag and he loves it, I use one of the other amazon basic ones for my MBP13" and it's excellent.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Theophany posted:

Buy a Crumpler.
Agreed. I got my Crumpler Private Zoo a couple of months ago for my 15" TBMBP and it seems pretty durable. I like that it's not huge like most backpacks designed for 15" laptops. I've got a sleeve as well for extra protection (look for 14" Surface Book Pro sleeves to fit the new 15" TBMBP) and it works out pretty well.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

my friend has this bag and he loves it, I use one of the other amazon basic ones for my MBP13" and it's excellent.
Cool. I think I'll pick it up since I'll get it fast with prime with 20% off. I'll be able to take my laptop and camera as a 2nd carry-on in it which is a huge plus.

Theophany & Star War Sex Parrot thanks for the Crumpler suggestions. I may order one in the states as my commute bag (does apple store carry that or you have to order directly from AUS?) or see what sfbags is offering.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Housh posted:

Cool. I think I'll pick it up since I'll get it fast with prime with 20% off. I'll be able to take my laptop and camera as a 2nd carry-on in it which is a huge plus.

Theophany & Star War Sex Parrot thanks for the Crumpler suggestions. I may order one in the states as my commute bag (does apple store carry that or you have to order directly from AUS?) or see what sfbags is offering.

I bought mine in the UK online direct - I'm not sure about other domestic online stores I'm afraid. I doubt Apple stock them via their online stores though. I went for a messenger back and it's really well padded for protection (a Good Booy, from memory). When I'm on longer term assignments I use my Wenger rucksack but that's usually carrying my camera equipment, iPad and loads of cables too.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You can buy one of those on Amazon but it will only last 2-3 hours and might not last any more than a half an hour a year down the road.

How long do you expect this NewerTech battery to last in my 15" mid-2009 MBP? It's hard to justify spending $100+ on a 8 year old laptop but I guess I might as well. It's still going strong surprisingly - I changed the old HD to SSD last year and it's like a brand new machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

How long do you expect this NewerTech battery to last in my 15" mid-2009 MBP? It's hard to justify spending $100+ on a 8 year old laptop but I guess I might as well. It's still going strong surprisingly - I changed the old HD to SSD last year and it's like a brand new machine.

Every bit as good as the factory battery was

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

For what it's worth I just dumped a ssd and an anker battery in my mid 09 mbp and it's solid as gently caress still. Turned it back into a daily driver office and PowerPoint workhorse.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
NightShift only works on specific Apple/LG monitors for devices like the Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

I think that's bullshit.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Hey BobHoward or other knowledgeable dudes, I was curious how apple was able to convert the file systems on iPhones from the old system to AFPS without losing the customer data? My guess is they made a temporary cache to move all the data while converting the original file location? Or were they just able to convert the whole thing wholesale at once and that's why it took so long.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Three-Phase posted:

NightShift only works on specific Apple/LG monitors for devices like the Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

I think that's bullshit.

How long until crack?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have a Dell U2713HM and it works with my late 2014 Mac Mini.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Biodome posted:

Hey BobHoward or other knowledgeable dudes, I was curious how apple was able to convert the file systems on iPhones from the old system to AFPS without losing the customer data? My guess is they made a temporary cache to move all the data while converting the original file location? Or were they just able to convert the whole thing wholesale at once and that's why it took so long.

As I understand it, from the WWDC talk, they just leave all the file data where it is on disk and write new APFS metadata pointing at all the existing data. Then they can do the swap from HFS+ to APFS just by pointing to the new metadata.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

serebralassazin posted:

I have a Dell U2713HM and it works with my late 2014 Mac Mini.
Works with my Dell U2515H off from my Macbook Pro too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

There is a small imperfection in the bezel of my screen. I don't know if I'm being too fickle but the thing is brand new. It's not a chip but seems to be the black coating missing. When it's day time light reflects from it. It's like a bubble in the coating.

Thinking of taking it into the fruit stand today but wonder what they can actually do.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You just bought it. They'll give you a new one. If it was BTO that might take some time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That's what sucks. It's BTO and I'm flying out Monday. I might take it in and see what they say. If they can't give me a replacement in time, I wonder if I can get a replacement while I'm in the states.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Housh posted:

That's what sucks. It's BTO and I'm flying out Monday. I might take it in and see what they say. If they can't give me a replacement in time, I wonder if I can get a replacement while I'm in the states.

Honestly if you hang onto it for any extended period of time your chances of getting it replaced probably drop sharply. Thats the kind of cosmetic damage that can easily be described as wear and tear if you've had it for a bit and they don't want to deal with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got an appt with the Apple Store in a few hours. I'm worried how this is going to get resolved as I can't see them turning around a BTO by the end of the week. I'll take the box and everything with me in case I have to get a refund and rebuy it in the states. This sucks.