Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Geralt fucks like three women in the books, of which there are 5+.
If you include the short stories, the books cover a decade or more.

Also his friends straight up criticise him for acting like a whiny 80 year old child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

Wait, what? Do you need a special shield for this or is it just a regular shield parry?

I've done it with a pot lid. Just a regular parry - wait for the blue light to start floating around its eye after the beam charges and you should be able to parry it easily every time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cloks posted:

I've done it with a pot lid. Just a regular parry - wait for the blue light to start floating around its eye after the beam charges and you should be able to parry it easily every time.

It does vary based on distance so be mindful. After a couple you will get the feel and become a god.

Doing a Castle Town circuit naked with an inventory of pot lids and rusted swords is a wonderful feeling.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kanfy posted:

They did the same with the series' original Japanese name, Biohazard.

I saw this mock up of a game logo maybe a year ago? I don't think it's official in any way, but I thought it was just about the best thing I've seen.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I have never felt horror and relief like I felt when I accidentally kicked off the final ending of Nier: Automata and was given multiple chances to cancel out of it, both of which I missed, before learning that failing the final mission lets you drop back to the title screen. I'm really stupidly invested in this gameworld and I'm not ready to be done with it yet.

By the by, Nier: Automata gives you (mechanics spoilers, no plot stuff, but I really wish I'd known this ahead of time) a much-appreciated chapter select after the third ending, so don't worry too much about sidequesting or missing out on NPC conversations- you can tidy all that poo poo up later. And progress made via the chapter select screen counts toward overall progress so you can jump back to the A and B routes and finish off any leftover quests from those parts. Taro Yoko's gone soft.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Somfin posted:

I have never felt horror and relief like I felt when I accidentally kicked off the final ending of Nier: Automata and was given multiple chances to cancel out of it, both of which I missed, before learning that failing the final mission lets you drop back to the title screen. I'm really stupidly invested in this gameworld and I'm not ready to be done with it yet.

Don't worry- even if you do complete the final ending, it doesn't auto delete your save or anything. That's a choice you have say "yes" to several times. So go nuts!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Don't worry- even if you do complete the final ending, it doesn't auto delete your save or anything. That's a choice you have say "yes" to several times. So go nuts!

I love that the original Nier has facilitated this being an actual thing to be worried about.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rampant Dwickery posted:

The entire intro to Aya in Mass Effect Andromeda feels like Original Flavor Star Trek, particularly if you choose all the wide-eyed idealist lines.

This game has a billion and a half problems, but I love my silly janky Earnest Space Opera.

I like how the founder of the Andromeda Initiative was obviously written as an Elon Musk stand-in and dies offscreen with no ceremony whatsoever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I like how the founder of the Andromeda Initiative was obviously written as an Elon Musk stand-in and dies offscreen with no ceremony whatsoever.
To be fair, her death comes up later and it turns out there was something fishy about it.

ME: A is really not as great as it could've/should've been, but I've still been enjoying it a lot. One little thing I like about it is the info/message board in the Tempest crew quarters. Some of the entries on it are quite funny and it does a good job at making the ship feel more lived in.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I got the pyjack as part of the Deluxe Edition for Mass Effect: Andromeda. The notes on care include:

- not feeding it after 23:59.
- not exposing it to water.
- not exposing it to sunlight.

it's a Mogwai!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Overminty posted:

W1 Geralt takes crap from no man (or boy) https://youtu.be/g-egGn5WYrk

Well there goes any drive I had to go back to the start of the Witcher series after finishing W3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joey Freshwater posted:

Well there goes any drive I had to go back to the start of the Witcher series after finishing W3.

Wow, I remember W1 a lot better than that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think they redid a bunch of the dialogue for the enhanced edition

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

2house2fly posted:

They did, but that little exchange remains. It was too beautiful to die.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

According to the comments that was the enhanced edition

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What is this crap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Witcher 1 is still good, if at times stilted. But it is virtually disconnected from the plot of the two sequels, so you aren't missing out on much for not playing it.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I was a big fan of Red Dead Redemption, and just by force of habit when I try to mount my horse in Breath of the Wild, I usually hit X, which is where the triangle button was on PS3. You used that button in Red Dead to mount a horse. In BOTW, it makes you jump.

The game accepts that you're jumping onto your horse and it still works, even though you technically hit the wrong button. Thanks, Nintendo!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, Street Fighter 5 just started their Fighting Network Free Beta to test out their fighting lobby, and surprise of surprises, it kinda stinks. I mean, that's kind of the purpose of a beta, but there's been a few people complaining about how they are releasing a beta for a game that's already complete for changes that should have been done a while ago.

In contrast, the 'Fighting Herds' team released their lobby system in a recent work stream, where it makes the lobby a location that allows you to browse your fights on the server, find specific matches and start fights in the lobby at will, similar to Guilty Gear Revelator's system.

She pointed out that a team of six people seem to have created a more stable lobby than a AAA Company. I understand the difference in size and server load, but there's still something to be said about a perceived failure of a major game company to make their star product work.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was watching the movies from the Legacy of Kain games and I remember being a little edgelord in the 90s getting my little hands on Soul Reaver. It wasn't until after Blood Omen 2 that I even realized there was a Blood Omen 1. That whole series is such glorious melodrama.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

I was watching the movies from the Legacy of Kain games and I remember being a little edgelord in the 90s getting my little hands on Soul Reaver. It wasn't until after Blood Omen 2 that I even realized there was a Blood Omen 1. That whole series is such glorious melodrama.

The LoK series has a fantastically complex storyline, I reread it every couple years. Certainly the best time traveling rear end in a top hat vampire games ever made. The script is probably the best writing ever in a game as well:
http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/pop-quiz-william-shakespeare-or-legacy-of-kain-6364344

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I will still occasionally go back for a fresh Blood Omen 1 run. I absolutely loved the mood of that game so much.
I did one of Square-Enix's polls about what of their neglected IPs they ought to revive and was stuck between this and Chrono Trigger for a good while.

Favourite little thing from it?: the demonic shriek the Soul Reaver makes as you swing it. Also Moebius was a fantastically manipulative villain that dies in the most amazing scene:
https://youtu.be/6fD8eNhv7M4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy XIV actually gives you this message before letting you progress in one of its story quests:

"Upon proceeding to the sultana's bedchamber, several cutscenes will play in sequence. It is recommend you set aside sufficient time to watch these cutscenes in their entirety."

I've never seen a game give me a long cutscene warning before, and I love that one finally did.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cleretic posted:

Final Fnatasy XIV actually gives you this message before letting you progress in one of its story quests:

"Upon proceeding to the sultana's bedchamber, several cutscenes will play in sequence. It is recommend you set aside sufficient time to watch these cutscenes in their entirety."

I've never seen a game give me a long cutscene warning before, and I love that one finally did.

That's not the only time it'll happen either!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Any other game, I'd assume that was code for, "Make sure your parents aren't gonna be around because there's titties ahoy"

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy XIV actually gives you this message before letting you progress in one of its story quests:

Yeah I think FFXIV does a good job of being an MMO AND a Final Fantasy Game, as opposed to just a MMO with some FF window dressing. Since that quest was the end of the game pre-expansions, it has the cutscenes expected of the end of a FF game (i.e. long and full of poo poo you wish you were actively doing instead of passively watching). It was smart of them to give the player a heads up that you won't be doing the MM part of MMORPG for a while, and also shouldn't turn in the quest right before leaving for church or whatever.

"Sultana's bedchamber" DOES sound like it's about to be sexy time, but the Sultana in this case is a tiny potato person that looks and sounds like a child so I'd want a lot more warning messages if that was how that plot was going to progress :gonk:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 4 Golden has a feature something like that. The original Persona 4 has a rather infamous section that determines your ending path, based on a series of six questions you have to answer. The problem is that those six questions are preceded by some really lengthy cutscene segments, and if you gently caress it up and want to try again, you'll be sitting through a lot of poo poo. So for the Golden re-release, they go ahead and give you a save point way closer to the important decisions, which is nice. The problem is that if you've never played P4 before, the game is basically saying, "YO rear end in a top hat, THE PLOT TWIST IS COMING UP, HOLD ONTO YOUR TITS."

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
I've been playing Dragon Quest 9, and my god that games commitment to puns is a terrible beauty. One I only got about 80% through the game: Early on you find a small town called Zere, where a renowned sculptor was born. A bit later, you find that the sculptor left to live in isolation on a mountain to practice. The loneliness got to him and you come across an exact replica of his home town, and its inhabitants, he carved out of stone. This fake town is referred to in the games town list as Zere Rocks, presumably to distinguish it from the original Zere. But it's a copy of another. a Xerox.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Catellite posted:

I've been playing Dragon Quest 9, and my god that games commitment to puns is a terrible beauty. One I only got about 80% through the game: Early on you find a small town called Zere, where a renowned sculptor was born. A bit later, you find that the sculptor left to live in isolation on a mountain to practice. The loneliness got to him and you come across an exact replica of his home town, and its inhabitants, he carved out of stone. This fake town is referred to in the games town list as Zere Rocks, presumably to distinguish it from the original Zere. But it's a copy of another. a Xerox.

it's incredible some of the puns that the Dragon Quest games get up to. I don't know if the puns are in the original japanese as well, but it seems like every enemy, named NPC, town, location, whatever, are all puns.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Morpheus posted:

it's incredible some of the puns that the Dragon Quest games get up to. I don't know if the puns are in the original japanese as well, but it seems like every enemy, named NPC, town, location, whatever, are all puns.

Dragon Quest Builders doesn't really do puns, but what it does have is the player character giving absolutely zero fucks about their supposed destiny, or the plot, or anything. You just want to build, and wouldn't mind it terribly if the Goddess shut the gently caress up and let you get on with it.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
The parry will forever be the great equalizer in the souls series. Almost hate to see it go. The uh souls series that is.

http://i.imgur.com/5fsrnDR.gifv

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Catellite posted:

Modern Dragon Quest is an unrepentant, glorious storm of puns.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Catellite posted:

Rocket Slime had almost every character have a terrible pun for their name. The leader of the slime nuns is the Mother Glooperior, one of the tanks is a giant tree named the Chrono Twigger, another is a giant suit of armour named Fort Knight, your elderly relative is your Flanpa, one of the higher-ups of the stereotypical Italian mob-based enemies is a cat named Clawleone, and it keeps happening and I never get tired of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always liked that 60% of the enemies in Bluer Dragon were elaborate poop jokes. Very well put together, but very childish. The Poo Snake was the tip of the iceberg, not only did the King Poo make an appearance as an optional boss, but poos of all elemental weaknesses existed. You had the Compost Poo who was covered in leaves. Fire burned off the leaves. You had Stone Poo Snakes, who were rock hard. Water softened them (ew). Then at the end of the game you fight a T-rex boss who poops out the secondary boss of the fight the Jumbo Poo. It just kept going

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inco posted:

Rocket Slime had almost every character have a terrible pun for their name. The leader of the slime nuns is the Mother Glooperior, one of the tanks is a giant tree named the Chrono Twigger, another is a giant suit of armour named Fort Knight, your elderly relative is your Flanpa, one of the higher-ups of the stereotypical Italian mob-based enemies is a cat named Clawleone, and it keeps happening and I never get tired of it.

Don't forget that Fort Knight had the subtitle "Not too weak".

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Can't remember which Dragon Quest game it was but it had a quest to find a monk guy at Alltrades Abbey. Turns out his name was Jack and he seemed nice enough, but eventually he revealed that he was a baddie and became the evil Master of Nu'un...

Jack of all trades, master of none

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Have you played EDF yet? You should play EDF.

You too can make punch totem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxPSYPota0&t=66s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

Yes. As far as I'm aware the series has almost always been a punfest but the earlier Dragon Warrior translations tried really hard to make it be a more serious fantasy story but the more recent translations and remakes embraced it and are full of puns. I think DQ8 was the first one to really go full in on the puns? Some of the puns the english translations adapt across the language barrier manage to be pretty clever like the above zere rocks which works on two levels.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Toriyama is pretty big on puns in general iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aubergine Mage posted:

Toriyama is pretty big on puns in general iirc

Basically the entire Dragonball cast is puns so yeah.