Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
+1 for removing the detent on the X52. I suffered with it for about 6 months before removing it. The difference that made was huge, and the throttle is infinitely more enjoyable without it.

With the detent out of the way, I find that setting a deadzone in Elite of just one tick past zero is perfect for easy stops without losing precision. The body of the throttle is also graduated so you can look for the 50% mark there or just pay attention to the throttle needle in-game. Muscle memory will teach you where the center point is over time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
From the newest beta:

quote:

Bounty Vouchers and Combat Bonds are now awarded to MultiCrew members based on their combat rank

In case anyone was wondering how they were going to :frontear: it up :downsbravo:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In case anyone was wondering how they were going to :frontear: it up :downsbravo:

:what:

I mean I'm not surprised, but wow.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

From the newest beta:

So you have to be elite to get the full bounty? Or is it more convoluted than that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, it's one of those things that's really not documented that well. Basically while every grade (the letter, E -> A) of an item bumps up the effectiveness of the piece kit - it's about a 20% step up per grade - they also usually have other tweaks to their stats:

I wanted to say thank you very much for taking the time to type this out. I didn't know there were any difference other than just "better than, more expensive than" as you went up in ratings. This is really excellent and should probably be put in the OP

Also thank you to everyone else who took the time to explain things. Obviously, I haven't really done a whole lot of ship building in Elite yet. My entire experience has been about 20 missions of data / item courier runs and a few hours of Quience grinding, so I really have no clue what I'm doing outside of that.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

quote:

Bounty Vouchers and Combat Bonds are now awarded to MultiCrew members based on their combat rank

I support this. I bet the folks crying loudest about it are the same folks who had Frontier manually reset their combat rank :smugdog:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Mercurius posted:

Gonna have to agree to disagree about removing the mod because your replacement mod is in no way guaranteed to be better and if you do it your way you could be stuck with a completely terrible roll as a replacement with no way to revert to the previous one.

If it bothers you only seeing the incremental improvements maybe you can try to stop looking at the percentages and only look at the numerical values since they're absolute rather than relative?

Trustworthy posted:

Echoing this. "Cleaning the slate" before re-engineering a module is a really ungainly, counterproductive idea. Just learn to read the relative or absolute values; know where you're at, and what you're aiming for.

After reading these two reactions I concede that I've been doing this all wrong. I've been doing it stupid and of course the right course of action is to see if you get a roll that improves your current stats before proceeding or just dismissing it. Doh!

I think what had occurred in my head was that I didn't like the look of the way that he modification is presented, with previous values used as the base scores. I'd have preferred the sliders to be exactly the same every time, with the stock value in orange and any previous divergence added as a red/blue base score before the re-roll has even commenced.

Anyway. I'm gonna start doing it properly from now on and not deleting my mod.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Trustworthy posted:

I support this. I bet the folks crying loudest about it are the same folks who had Frontier manually reset their combat rank :smugdog:

I'd say the people crying the loudest about it are the same people with actual friends who they want to bring with them into the game, now hindered by a completely arbitrary grind-rank.

Not like (m)any people supporting this change have this issue.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Trustworthy posted:

I support this.
Why?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Internet Explorer posted:

I wanted to say thank you very much for taking the time to type this out. I didn't know there were any difference other than just "better than, more expensive than" as you went up in ratings. This is really excellent and should probably be put in the OP

Also thank you to everyone else who took the time to explain things. Obviously, I haven't really done a whole lot of ship building in Elite yet. My entire experience has been about 20 missions of data / item courier runs and a few hours of Quience grinding, so I really have no clue what I'm doing outside of that.

It was a great post. As for your time spent playing so far: you're very lucky to have an AspX at this stage in the game! It must have taken me at least a month, possibly longer, to make that purchase and I remember a great feeling of accomplishment.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

As long as the reward disparity isn't insane, I'm fine with giving a spacebuck bonus to people who have put more work into the game.

More importantly, in the current game, rank mostly only matters for pointless bragging rights and a few behind-the-scenes mechanics (i.e., what kind of pirates pop up). This is one way for Frontier to ascribe some lore-/immersion-friendly meaning to rank. The more experienced you are, the bigger kickback you get thanks to Pilot's Federation negotiations.

It's easy as pie for newbies to gain rank, and I doubt the difference in payout between, say, Expert and Elite will be all that consequential. I predict that the current alt-brownsea outrage will be looked back on as an overreaction.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Trustworthy posted:

As long as the reward disparity isn't insane, I'm fine with giving a spacebuck bonus to people who have put more work into the game.

More importantly, in the current game, rank mostly only matters for pointless bragging rights and a few behind-the-scenes mechanics (i.e., what kind of pirates pop up). This is one way for Frontier to ascribe some lore-/immersion-friendly meaning to rank. The more experienced you are, the bigger kickback you get thanks to Pilot's Federation negotiations.

It's easy as pie for newbies to gain rank, and I doubt the difference in payout between, say, Expert and Elite will be all that consequential. I predict that the current alt-brownsea outrage will be looked back on as an overreaction.

As of right now, evidence points to Competent rank getting 1/10th the normal bounty.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

It was a great post. As for your time spent playing so far: you're very lucky to have an AspX at this stage in the game! It must have taken me at least a month, possibly longer, to make that purchase and I remember a great feeling of accomplishment.

I think I spent my first 2 months in a Cobra just getting a feel for what I liked before going bigger.

Also because the Cobra is the best ship. :colbert:

Now I have a Tradeaconda, a Python that is my general do-everything ship, and an Iggle for fun space dog fighting.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Trustworthy posted:

It's not a bonus, it's a spacebuck penalty to people who haven't.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Morter posted:

As of right now, evidence points to Competent rank getting 1/10th the normal bounty.

Well, uhhh, that's pretty steep... :yikes:

I'll change my prediction to: "Frontier will realize that's dumb, and drastically reduce that disparity one or two patches down the line."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Trustworthy posted:

If it turns out that's what they're doing then great but I think we all know it's far more likely that they're actually reducing payouts. It also seems like it only applies in multicrew, not regular wings, so rather than being some rebalancing of payouts to reward people who've played longer (which is pretty bizarre anyway - if anything, you'd surely expect to get a higher reward for the more difficult kills you make in your lovely early ships than for dunking NPCs in your endgame corvette), it seems like them specifically trying to counter the imagined problem of people "boosting" new pilots.

Really though, we need more to go on than just a single vague patchnote - there's any number of different ways they could have gone about this but based on all their previous decisions, I don't think concern that they might have hosed things up just to cater to the "convenience is sin" crowd is unwarranted. :v:

Edit:

Morter posted:

classic :frontear:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Its bizarre that frontier realizes that wing payouts suck, so they are making wing members all earn the full amount but then decide that multicrew should only earn partial amounts...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mimesweeper posted:

It's not a bonus, it's a spacebuck penalty to people who haven't.

The bonus is getting 100% of the possible payout. Just like it's a bonus when I don't charge these lazy turret monkeys for oxygen and gruel.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Trustworthy posted:

I don't have friends and I certainly don't want those who do to help theirs

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Trustworthy posted:

I do not understand what bonus means, therefore suck it non-elite havers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's loving stupid because combat rating is just a time sink and no indication of skill at playing the game. This change literally widens the gulf between new and old players.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like an idea right out of the brown sea, then.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

My friends that imagine as I cry myself to sleep are all Elite, so they don't give a poo poo.

One of them just whispered in my ear: "If you're working for another, more experienced pilot and only doing a fraction of the work, why on earth wouldn't you expect a fraction of the pay (that's somewhat commensurate with your experience)?"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It's loving stupid because combat rating is just a time sink and no indication of skill at playing the game. This change literally widens the gulf between new and old players.

That is a feature, not a bug.

The goal of the Forum Dads is to make the game so unappealing and grindy that most people quit and anyone new who joins can't compete with them because they'll never catch up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Xae posted:

That is a feature, not a bug.

The goal of the Forum Dads is to make the game so unappealing and grindy that most people quit and anyone new who joins can't compete with them because they'll never catch up.

There was a thread on the brown sea that I read a few weeks ago about how they wanted to discourage newbies from starting the game because they were worried they might not play right and then leave bad reviews when they get blown up by experienced players.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Mike the TV posted:

There was a thread on the brown sea that I read a few weeks ago about how they wanted to discourage newbies from starting the game because they were worried they might not play right and then leave bad reviews when they get blown up by experienced players.

I love this.

"It's good to turn the game into a corpse, as long as it's a pretty corpse."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

:laffo::lol::laffo:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I've just been kitting my Asp out for passengers in Quince because I fancied maybe doing 2000ly with a passenger.

I noticed a passenger mission on the board with no reward value attached to it.

"Must be a bug" I thought.

"Maybe it's a bug that'll have a screwed up floating point and I'll get 17 billion CR or something" I concluded.

It was an illegal passenger that only wanted to go to Quince Visitor Beacon, so I snapped it up.

Jumped out of low wake at the beacon and scanned it in Silent Running mode because I'd had a warning about someone coming to kill my passenger.

Got a message from my assailant at the beacon. They're supposed to be government forces and they're in a Vulture. I didn't want to stop and fight, what with this humungous mystery price tag up for stake (first time I've had something like this in over 6 months play), so I jumped out to a random system and jumped back into Quince again and headed for Millerport to complete the mission.

Decided on a screengrab before I dock and release my glorious reward:

Then jumped out at Millerport, lined myself up with the mailbox from about 10Km away and schnurgled into base in Silent Running mode. All is good, so I go to the passenger board and claim my mystery prize:

Negative 741 Credits. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

There's actually another one without a price on the boards, same detail:

Must be a recurring bug.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 28, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

apropos man posted:

I've just been kitting my Asp out for passengers in Quince because I fancied maybe doing 2000ly with a passenger.

I noticed a passenger mission on the board with no reward value attached to it.

"Must be a bug" I thought.

"Maybe it's a bug that'll have a screwed up floating point and I'll get 17 billion CR or something" I concluded.

It was an illegal passenger that only wanted to go to Quince Visitor Beacon, so I snapped it up.

Jumped out of low wake at the beacon and scanned it in Silent Running mode because I'd had a warning about someone coming to kill my passenger.

Got a message from my assailant at the beacon. They're supposed to be government forces and they're in a Vulture. I didn't want to stop and fight, what with this humungous mystery price tag up for stake (first time I've had something like this in over 6 months play), so I jumped out to a random system and jumped back into Quince again and headed for Millerport to complete the mission.

Decided on a screengrab before I dock and release my glorious reward:

Then jumped out at Millerport, lined myself up with the mailbox from about 10Km away and schnurgled into base in Silent Running mode. All is good, so I go to the passenger board and claim my mystery prize:

Negative 741 Credits. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

There's actually another one without a price on the boards, same detail:

Must be a recurring bug.

That mission is just for engineer stuff no credits.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Never seen them with no credits before. Although I might have instinctively hit refuel and that's where the 741 CR went. Can't believe I've never noticed a zero payout mission before now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

quote:

quote:

Most of my friends already don't want to buy the game because they don't want to spend days just trying to get a meager ship.

Progression is a key part of virtually every game in some form or another. If they are not interested in a game because they have to grind for a few days (and not even that hard) to get a "meager ship" then they would never enjoy this game anyways.

quote:

This is a great way to have some fun with buddies and help them out some.

Yeah, WITHOUT playing the game for them so they have to put in zero effort.

quote:

Agreed. Multi crew should not be some kind of low level cheat mode. There's enough of that with poo poo like mission stacking etc.

quote:

God forbid anybody play this game to have fun, and not just for the credits. And the credits are still there, they just have to work a bit for them.

For the amount of effort I put in to get my Anaconda before it was easy in any way, I don't think a newbie sidewinder should be able to hitch a ride with you and gain millions credits with almost no effort.

I don't think it should be as tedious as it was for me, but it shouldn't be easy. The big three aren't handouts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Drake_263 posted:

I'm proud to announce that I managed to land my iClipper on a planetary body for the very first time and I only just barely glanced a hill on the final approach.

"Warning. Increase altitude-" thunk

Disabling the 'Enable Clutch Mode' toggle in the joystick control panel (under the MFDs tab, for some reason) unlocks the clutch button - that's the small round thumb button with the rotary ring around it on the throttle lever.

To unlock the pinky trigger on the joystick, you ned to go into the joystick profile editor. Open the control profile, put it into grid mode. Every column on the grid is a mode, and by default, the pink trigger is a mode switch, kind of like a shift button. Just delete all columns that use the pinky trigger and that should unlock it.

Also, deleting the 'mouse 1' bind from the little button next to the nipple stick on the throttle unlocks the button. Haven't yet figured out how to bind the nipple stick, though.

Thank you for this! Deleting those extra "mode" columns did the trick! The pinkie trigger works properly and I now have the clutch set up for Flight and Combat, swapping buttons around for better functionality! :dance:

apropos man posted:

Never seen them with no credits before. Although I might have instinctively hit refuel and that's where the 741 CR went. Can't believe I've never noticed a zero payout mission before now.

Yeah, I think you just agreed to fly that guy out there (at great personal risk) and he didn't even cover fuel costs...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Grogs don't wanna have fu-uuun ♫♪♫

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Morter posted:

Grogs don't wanna have fu-uuun ♫♪♫

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You have to earn your fun, friends.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'Working' at a video game.

I think the issue is that gamers have been allowed to think that gaming is a hobby. It isn't. It's a toy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It is interesting how the sentiment is against such behavior in MMO's (basically power leveling) but for it in Elite.

I don't really give two fucks how they implement it, I'll probably never really do multicrew stuff anyway, but from a distance it really highlights the fact that both the frontier forums, and our very own forum (really just gamers in general) should really never ever be in charge of game design.

:jerky:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Strategic Tea posted:

I think the issue is that gamers have been allowed to think that gaming is a hobby. It isn't. It's a toy.

Whoa, it's the king of video games who defines what they are and how we must experience them

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa, it's the king of video games who defines what they are and how we must experience them

I like his way a lot more than "noobs totally have it easy and my memory of the grind is perfectly accurate". Basically, gamers are like GBS, both must be nuked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The goal of the Forum Dad/grognard squad is to kill the game. If no one else is playing than by default they are the most successful people in the game and then they win. They want to game to be so unpleasant that everyone else quits so they can be rewarded for being the most hardcore supporters.

The sooner Frontier realizes this the sooner the game starts getting better.

• Locked thread