Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's really the hallmarks of lovely strips when the supposed "villains" are more sympathetic than the "heros".

From the backstory, Les grew up in Foster care, but his mother and uncle are still alive.
He is making payments on something, probably court related? Anyway, it's obvious the dude is loving starved for affection and latched onto the first person to actually treat him halfway decently.

Kind of like how the protagonists always treat Shannon like a horrible little poo poo when clearly her biggest problem is that her dad is constantly dumping her on her aunt who is constantly dumping her on her boyfriend (now husband) who is constantly dumping her on his little sister... and so it continues. Even a little kid can tell when everybody is trying to get rid of her. Of course she doesn't always act perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I think I figured out why Luann is so lovely. The problem is that the characters in the strip have not matured as their positions in life have. Hence the pettiness, Jealousy, and how characters cannot be completely honest with each other. Luann and her friends should not have grown up until the writers could figure out how to mature their characters appropriately and still be funny. Because of this, they are sticking to the same formulas.

Try putting all the characters back in high school and the poo poo they're pulling makes perfect sense. Tiffany is still stuck up and uses her looks and money to make herself feel superior to everyone around her. Gunther is still a nerd but now can't accept that life changes as it goes on because he can't figure out how to move on with his own life. Luann has finally figured out dating but needs to figure out "relationships".

I'm half asleep as I'm typing this, so it may be a bit half-baked.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

No, that's pretty good actually, although the characters had these same problems even in high school.

When I first saw Les (don't know when he was introduced or what he's done since then) we were supposed to hate him because he elbowed Knute out of the way so he could use the (men's) bathroom that Crystal had commandeered at the time. Then he just took a piss and left, and Crystal blackmailed him with some weird story about cameras in the bathroom, then Les sulks over to the principal's office all guilty and asks for lenience since there's a killer math test coming up. Somehow that conversation ended without the principal just telling Les that there are no cameras in the bathroom. Then Les tries to ask Gunther's girlfriend out to Prom to provoke Gunther into punching him in front of the (non-existent) cameras. And I think that's about the last time I left the thread. My point is, even in the high school strips the sympathies were completely out of hack. Originally Luann was a middle school strip- in that context it might have made sense. I don't remember it being this bad back when I was a kid anyway.

You know what really makes Luann easy to hate? It's that these plots are so well-defined they're easy to remember even years later. I couldn't tell you what happened in The Phantom or Judge Morgan two years ago to save my life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Then Les tries to ask Gunther's girlfriend out to Prom to provoke Gunther into punching him in front of the (non-existent) cameras.

I think it was actually worse than that. Les just asked Rosa to the prom before Gunther and then Gunther hit him with his backpack, and the whole thing was played like "Les, don't you know you can't ask a girl to go to the prom if someone else was already thinking bout maybe eventually asking her?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon (Jan 14th, 1996)

1999 Spider-Man

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just lazy writing.

This is basically that one escape artist character in Flex Mentallo who manages to get out of an impossible death trap because it's tedious, overdone, and written by a self-loathing rear end in a top hat. God I love that comic.

On the opposite note:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café Meets Dune

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I was expecting this to be another lovely pun setup. I'm not sure what we got instead is any funnier.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm in a cheerful mood today so have more comics. Is anybody actually reading them since I put Mother From Another Country on temporary hiatus?

Tracksuit

Inspector Doma

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 28, 2017

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm enjoying both of the comics you're posting! Keep posting!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dennis the Menace

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Moose and Molly

On The Fast Rack

Reply All

Zack Hill

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

I'm not sure if they skipped a storyline but both of them are forgotten after this strip and won't be mentioned again.

They were lucky that it was a slowly floating bomb for no good reason or they all would be dead.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 28, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Did he just retrace a still of Heath Ledger as Casanova?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Feb. 3, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Feb. 3, 1985)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bean_shadow posted:

Did he just retrace a still of Heath Ledger as Casanova?
If someone were to be that lazy surely it would be easily located on an image search results for "giacomo casanova". :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth
[url=http://i.imgur.com/aPZx4Ht.png]

Yeah, eight months may seem like a long time, but Hil and Nona never really talked about it much and the issue's had time to fester in Hil'd mind. Totally believable.

Inspector Doma is really good.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm in a cheerful mood today so have more comics. Is anybody actually reading them since I put Mother From Another Country on temporary hiatus?

Tracksuit

Inspector Doma

I read and really like all the comics that you post. Poor Maru, though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

This could almost be out of those Super Fun Pak Marital Mirth strips.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Just stay at the table with the guy trying to sexually assault you, though. That's fine.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

I haven't been posting this lately because it's been mediocre. But I liked todays.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I love this panel. There should be a comic about these guys. Some sort of anti-Dilbert.

Also,

Some Guy TT posted:

Inspector Doma

:smith:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

I'm not sure if they skipped a storyline but both of them are forgotten after this strip and won't be mentioned again.
Crime bosses: well known for doing everything personally, themselves, rather than having somebody who works for them do it

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

Crime bosses: well known for doing everything personally, themselves, rather than having somebody who works for them do it
AKA The sandbox video game approach.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Zits

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 24, 1952)

Nancy (March 11, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (November 9, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (December 8, 1923)

Lil' Abner (August 6, 1937)

Barney Google (December 9, 1922)

Alley Oop (March 10, 1934)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I don't think Piraro understands what the term Transgender means.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Green Intern posted:

There's something of a running theme of Piraro giving lip service in support of GSM issues while simultaneously demonstrating he doesn't really know why he should or what that support means.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He needs to stick to CDMA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

He needs to stick to CDMA.

No one should stick to CDMA.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Green Intern posted:

Good intentions, I guess?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

There's something of a running theme of Piraro giving lip service in support of GSM issues while simultaneously demonstrating he doesn't really know why he should or what that support means.

Trans issues? I don't have a problem with transvestites!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tunicate posted:

Trans issues? I don't have a problem with transvestites!

Like that Ru Paul person who has that one TV show?

Edit:

This is great and exactly what I thought when I read it.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House, August 5, 2016

*doing* *sizzle*...in addition to *beep* *boop* the sounds of America!

Back to B.C., February 20, 1958

Merciful Zot!

Lucky Cow, April 25, 2003

This strip reminds me of Buffy working at the DoubleMeat Palace...

Spirit of the Staircase, August 1, 2016

Human villages are amazing : 3

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
While I appreciate what I hope was the intended sentiment, Piraro, trans women aren't "men in high heels and wigs" you hack. And also trans men and nonbinary people exist but I guess they don't work for your "joke."

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Tumblr of scotch posted:

While I appreciate what I hope was the intended sentiment, Piraro, trans women aren't "men in high heels and wigs" you hack. And also trans men and nonbinary people exist but I guess they don't work for your "joke."

This is key to the reason that I've long come to despise "Bizarro". Despite the fact that Piraro seems to think he's quite progressive, he's always just so "holier than thou" dismissive about every one of his pet topics (see, vegetarianisim), and then woefully, almost criminally callous when it comes to dealing with actual cultural pivot points (feminism, anything related to the new sexual revolution/evolution).

I mean, I don't even feel like I can say..."well, the heart's in the right place", because he obviously didn't think about anything further than a punchline here.

Also, everyone in his comics looks miserably frozen in amber or something.

Oh...I just looked up Piraro. and he was born in 1958. My dad's age. I guess I just assumed he was a bit younger.

gently caress you, Piraro.

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Dennis the Menace

That's an edit, right?
Right?

• Locked thread