Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Of all the books I have ever, in my life, picked up on a whim, the Capt B and MI-13 series was the one I'm most happy with.

It was the good kind of insane. I mean, a fleet of interplanetary spaceships lead by Dracula burning up on reentry because they've had their invitation to Earth revoked is the kind of so-ridiculous-it's-brilliant stuff you can only do with comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidspackage posted:

The guy with the rainbows was Sync(h?), who could take on the powers of mutants near him. Mondo was the barely-used Hawaiian guy who could absorb things.

I liked when Chamber got mad at Synch for being able to fly with his powers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

I liked when Chamber got mad at Synch for being able to fly with his powers.

Yeah synch was often better with people's powers than they themselves were. He was like the overachiever in high school who's in like five clubs and on the football team. I liked him a lot and I wish they'd done more with the Synch/Jubilee relationship.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of all the books I have ever, in my life, picked up on a whim, the Capt B and MI-13 series was the one I'm most happy with.

It was the good kind of insane. I mean, a fleet of interplanetary spaceships lead by Dracula burning up on reentry because they've had their invitation to Earth revoked is the kind of so-ridiculous-it's-brilliant stuff you can only do with comics.

Just to the British Isles, but only because the heroes tricked Dracula into destroying a decoy for the skull of Quincey Morris.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

purple death ray posted:

Yeah synch was often better with people's powers than they themselves were. He was like the overachiever in high school who's in like five clubs and on the football team. I liked him a lot and I wish they'd done more with the Synch/Jubilee relationship.

I used to have the comic that was mentioned earlier with them in the same panel, both using Jubilee's powers. I remember it actually being pretty cool, but I can't find it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Oh, Jimmy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

He's watching Batman Vs Superman

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The story, featuring Jimmy's mercenary quest for power, is even more bonkers. Kings are shaken and killers wail.

The tears mix together to create a nuclear bomb.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Every time I see an insane Silver or Bronze-age cover, I'm immediately interested in the story. And then if those stories get outlined they're just as amazing and bonkers as I hoped they would be. No wonder they stuck with that formula for so long.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo Jimmy turning a hot dog into diamonds is amazing. But why not the bun?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo Jimmy turning a hot dog into diamonds is amazing. But why not the bun?

His strange power transmutes hot dog into diamond, and bun into hot dog. It just moves things up one level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But can it turn a hot dog into a sandwich?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

But can it turn a hot dog into a sandwich?

Jimmy isnt insane enough to try.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The story, featuring Jimmy's mercenary quest for power, is even more bonkers. Kings are shaken and killers wail.

okay, I admit it, I cringed at Jimmy just loving tearing a page out of that apparently ancient tome. You're the reason we need supervised reading rooms, Olsen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

okay, I admit it, I cringed at Jimmy just loving tearing a page out of that apparently ancient tome. You're the reason we need supervised reading rooms, Olsen.

Watching that dude in Hannibal eat an original work of art was more ghastly than all the murders.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's specifically stated that it was the single legible page. Still incredibly dickery. Super-dickery, in fact.

Jimmy Olsen #115 (one of the classic Superdickery covers)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 28, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ok, what hosed up lesson was Jimmy supposed to learn from that?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Get better friends".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Even unpowered sidekicks are better than Aquaman"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like that Supermans test is basically up to random chance,

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The universe is cruel and unfeeling. Remorseless in it's unmitigated capriciousness. Who would know that better than a man whose homeworld was destroyed, stranding him on a distant world to become a god amongst the locals? It only makes sense that his test reflect that harsh reality.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

"Get better friends".

I'm assuming this lesson applies to Aquaman as well.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Soonmot posted:

It's also because of of Jubilee's defining characteristics is her unrelenting optimism. She's not going to sulk and get broody because she's a vampire, being a vampire is loving awesome!

Wow, even without the sparkles, it really is just like Twilight as explained by SMG.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would actually be interested in reading SMG's take on Twilight.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

I wouldn't be the one to tell him, check out how cut he is in that last panel.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm assuming this lesson applies to Aquaman as well.

don't you mean applied?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Another thought about Jimmy's "tear potion" -- if you wanted to be really efficient about it, wouldn't the Joker's tears let you check off two items on the list at once?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He only counts for one when he appears in the story.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I thought it was actually three now?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"But how did the man famous for seeing the future know what was going to happen in the future?...Of course!...he could see the future!!"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dillbag posted:

I thought it was actually three now?
Last I heard he was just the Clown Prince of Crime, not a full king. Or has that changed?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

darthbob88 posted:

Last I heard he was just the Clown Prince of Crime, not a full king. Or has that changed?

I think he means there's three Jokers now. Or something like that I haven't actually read Rebirth to know what they're doing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
joker is a clown who kills people.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

joker is a clown who kills people.
So, a regular clown.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I love that Jimmy is so unimaginative that the only thing he can think of doing with telekinesis is to save a couple of minutes on his work commute.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No, no, no.

He's a scary clown.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So a regular clown then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

darthbob88 posted:

I think he's the Clown Prince of Crime in the Machiavellian sense.

...wait, I have an elseworlds/AU idea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
He told Aquaman back in the 90s that he was king of all land on Earth. Actually, he said he was king of the Earth, but Aqua corrected him when he pointed out that the see takes up far more space on the planet than the land, making him the king. Regardless, he believed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Immortal Iron Fist #18, i think.