Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

why do people online need to defend a billionaire's honor? like i really don't get it. is he like the right-wing nerd version of Trump?

Read Bob Altemeyer's The Authoritarians, some people are mentally built in such a way that they need to hitch their wagon to a Powerful Man, whether he's a sputtering populist blowhard or a tech billionaire ubermensch. That person becomes their moral compass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

[ignores that most of spacex's budget comes from NASA] gosh why can't you guys just accept that out of the kindness of his own heart elon musk wants to send millionaire tourists to the moon, it's not like you're paying for it :colbert:

Apr 7, 2003

That's why I like the Strong Daddy thing, it really is how they view their leader figures and their view of how people should be kept in line matches that; strong angry daddy lays out discipline when his kids are bad, and weak pussy-rear end liberal daddy lets his kids run roughshod all over him. sad!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

Read Bob Altemeyer's The Authoritarians, some people are mentally built in such a way that they need to hitch their wagon to a Powerful Man, whether he's a sputtering populist blowhard or a tech billionaire ubermensch. That person becomes their moral compass.

like i kinda get it, we're in an age where space programs are super weak and the glory days of NASA are still within living memory and there's tons of nerds seeing the Apollo missions and going "god drat why is nobody doing this anymore i want my drat moon base" and they'll latch on to any person who offers them some semblance of the future promised by the 60's

they're still wrong but i at least kinda get it?

Apr 7, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

like i kinda get it, we're in an age where space programs are super weak and the glory days of NASA are still within living memory and there's tons of nerds seeing the Apollo missions and going "god drat why is nobody doing this anymore i want my drat moon base" and they'll latch on to any person who offers them some semblance of the future promised by the 60's

they're still wrong but i at least kinda get it?

That's still part of the authoritarian mindset, instead of looking at goals and determining if they're reasonable and thinking of a path to reach those goals, they just invest themselves in the person who promises them (literally) the sun and moon and stars regardless of if they've got a plan to get there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's still part of the authoritarian mindset, instead of looking at goals and determining if they're reasonable and thinking of a path to reach those goals, they just invest themselves in the person who promises them (literally) the sun and moon and stars regardless of if they've got a plan to get there.

yeah i agree.

people are dum and we're all gonna die poor and starving after the ultra-wealthy have exodused to their space colonies taking all the earth's resources with them

Apr 7, 2003

The reason why our politics are so hosed is that they're quite literally split on that divide. On the right it's the matriarchal figure with his dutiful, quiet, obedient family, father knows best and fall into line or you'll make daddy mad and then daddy will punish you. On the left is everyone else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Donald Trump has nominated a former corporate lawyer — who previously said that AT&T’s bid for Time Warner doesn’t pose a “major antitrust problem” — as the U.S. Justice Department’s next competition chief.

The White House announced today that it had selected Makan Delrahim, who is already aiding the Trump administration, as its pick to be the assistant attorney general for antitrust, a key government position with the power to approve or deny mergers and investigate companies for potential competition threats.

Delrahim, who must be confirmed by the Senate, is a longtime antitrust expert who previously served in a similar capacity at the Justice Department under former President George W. Bush. In recent months, Delrahim has helped Trump advance his nominee for the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch, through his own Senate vote.

But Delrahim’s selection stands in contrast with his boss in the Oval Office when it comes to one of the most prominent competition issues currently in the hands of government regulators: The AT&T-Time Warner merger.

Publicly and privately, Trump has blasted the deal, even though the president stressed in January that he hadn’t “seen any of the facts.” Delrahim, however, said in an interview on Canadian television last year that he didn’t see the problem with AT&T’s latest business gambit, given that the wireless giant and Time Warner are not direct competitors.

“The sheer size of it, and the fact that it’s media, I think will get a lot of attention,” he said in October. “However, I don’t see this as a major antitrust problem.”

If he’s confirmed for the job, Delrahim, a former partner at the law firm Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, will have to work with the government’s ethics watchdogs to set out a plan for when he has to recuse himself.

He has previously worked with AT&T, as a lobbyist for the company from 2007 to 2008, but he has also opposed the telecom giant, as a lawyer who fought AT&T’s unsuccessful bid to buy T-Mobile on behalf of companies like Dish. Delrahim also previously represented Google when the company purchased DoubleClick in 2008, according to his former law firm bio.

Before joining the White House this year, Delrahim served as an antitrust lobbyist for Comcast*, which purchased NBCUniversal in 2011, and he also worked the halls of Congress and the federal government on behalf of Qualcomm, federal records show. His representation of the chipmaker until the end of 2016 — a stint focused on “issues related to domestic and foreign antitrust enforcement,” according to an ethics report — comes as the FTC this year has sued the company for alleged anticompetitive licensing practices.

* Comcast, via its NBCU unit, is a minority investor in Vox Media, which owns this site.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

President Donald Trump has nominated a former corporate lawyer — who previously said that AT&T’s bid for Time Warner doesn’t pose a “major antitrust problem” — as the U.S. Justice Department’s next competition chief.

The White House announced today that it had selected Makan Delrahim, who is already aiding the Trump administration, as its pick to be the assistant attorney general for antitrust, a key government position with the power to approve or deny mergers and investigate companies for potential competition threats.

Delrahim, who must be confirmed by the Senate, is a longtime antitrust expert who previously served in a similar capacity at the Justice Department under former President George W. Bush. In recent months, Delrahim has helped Trump advance his nominee for the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch, through his own Senate vote.

But Delrahim’s selection stands in contrast with his boss in the Oval Office when it comes to one of the most prominent competition issues currently in the hands of government regulators: The AT&T-Time Warner merger.

Publicly and privately, Trump has blasted the deal, even though the president stressed in January that he hadn’t “seen any of the facts.” Delrahim, however, said in an interview on Canadian television last year that he didn’t see the problem with AT&T’s latest business gambit, given that the wireless giant and Time Warner are not direct competitors.

“The sheer size of it, and the fact that it’s media, I think will get a lot of attention,” he said in October. “However, I don’t see this as a major antitrust problem.”

If he’s confirmed for the job, Delrahim, a former partner at the law firm Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, will have to work with the government’s ethics watchdogs to set out a plan for when he has to recuse himself.

He has previously worked with AT&T, as a lobbyist for the company from 2007 to 2008, but he has also opposed the telecom giant, as a lawyer who fought AT&T’s unsuccessful bid to buy T-Mobile on behalf of companies like Dish. Delrahim also previously represented Google when the company purchased DoubleClick in 2008, according to his former law firm bio.

Before joining the White House this year, Delrahim served as an antitrust lobbyist for Comcast*, which purchased NBCUniversal in 2011, and he also worked the halls of Congress and the federal government on behalf of Qualcomm, federal records show. His representation of the chipmaker until the end of 2016 — a stint focused on “issues related to domestic and foreign antitrust enforcement,” according to an ethics report — comes as the FTC this year has sued the company for alleged anticompetitive licensing practices.

* Comcast, via its NBCU unit, is a minority investor in Vox Media, which owns this site.

i mean i kinda gotta respect trump's dedication to picking the absolute worst person for any job every time he's given a choice

Apr 7, 2003

i mean i kinda gotta respect trump's dedication to picking the absolute worst person for any job every time he's given a choice

Art of the deal, baby.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

they believe he has a plan and a goal even if he doesn't and that's more than anyone else is offering.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NASA's had a plan and a goal for years they're just real bad at articulating it and the president keeps changing it every 5 years or so :sigh:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.hrc.org/blog/trump-appoints-radical-anti-lgbtq-activist-to-lead-hhs-civil-rights-office posted:

Trump quietly selected Severino this week to serve as Director of the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at HHS. Severino’s extreme views opposing transgender people and women’s rights have garnered praise and prominence from the far right.

Until this week, Severino served as Director of the DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society for the Heritage Foundation where he wrote scathing opinions on transgender issues, abortion rights, and gay marriage. He repeatedly denounced and worked to oppose OCR’s implementation of Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act, which provides critical non-discrimination protections based on gender identity and sex stereotyping in federally-funded health programs. He also referred to the Obama Administration's guidance to allow transgender students to use the bathroom that matched their gender identity as a “radical social experiment.”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NASA's had a plan and a goal for years they're just real bad at articulating it and the president keeps changing it every 5 years or so :sigh:

they've had plans and goals dictated to them by the legislative and executive that change every few years. compared to musk whos put out a plan and stuck to it (wrt spaceflight) nasa is clownshoes. its not entirely the fault of the agency, but they have no hope as long as they are beholden to congress

also they're actually very very good at articulating their plans its just that some of them are very very bad plans because of congressional handcuffs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like we did a goddamn flight test of the Ares 1-X and we've tested the Orion capsule on a Delta IV and we're still on schedule for the 2018 all-up test of the SLS but muskman names his things after sci fi novels and tweets about them more i guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

they've had plans and goals dictated to them by the legislative and executive that change every few years. compared to musk whos put out a plan and stuck to it (wrt spaceflight) nasa is clownshoes. its not entirely the fault of the agency, but they have no hope as long as they are beholden to congress

also they're actually very very good at articulating their plans its just that some of them are very very bad plans because of congressional handcuffs

i mean the goal has been "go to mars" coming down from the executive since at least Bush, the changes have mostly been the useful but not as interesting science missions that are actually worth something but nobody cares about

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

there's also the idea that just like a parent may make up rules for their children which don't apply to themselves, the smoothbrains see strong daddy as above the law

don't question strong daddy's choices he makes the rules even if these other people are messing them up he knows best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

like we did a goddamn flight test of the Ares 1-X and we've tested the Orion capsule on a Delta IV and we're still on schedule for the 2018 all-up test of the SLS but muskman names his things after sci fi novels and tweets about them more i guess?

Ares/Constellation was cancelled by Obama so they could switch to the SLS which keeps older contractors in business. its garbage.

Constellation was a good plan but not corrupt enough.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's why I like the Strong Daddy thing, it really is how they view their leader figures and their view of how people should be kept in line matches that; strong angry daddy lays out discipline when his kids are bad, and weak pussy-rear end liberal daddy lets his kids run roughshod all over him. sad!

I'm raising vc funds for an AI that tweet replies choke me daddy to anyone w a net worth over 10 mil

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bump_fn posted:

I'm raising vc funds for an AI that tweet replies choke me daddy to anyone w a net worth over 10 mil

been done

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
elon musk looks creepy. not like malicious creepy, more like he has jars and jars of fingernail clippings. or he hums tunelessly when he poops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

[ignores that most of spacex's budget comes from NASA] gosh why can't you guys just accept that out of the kindness of his own heart elon musk wants to send millionaire tourists to the moon, it's not like you're paying for it :colbert:

an old high school acquaintance and self-described objectivist posted after the first private rocket launch "that's the power of the free market!" as if it wasn't built on millions of publicly-funded man-hours of work.

anyway, tech is leaking:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/846677126149525504

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

weak pussy-rear end liberal daddy lets his kids run roughshod all over him. sad!

it's me!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are we sure elon musk is a real person and not a star wars character cause that loving name is george lucas as gently caress

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tbiesheuvel/status/846647489679822848

https://twitter.com/WSJbusiness/status/846730123122499584

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yes, "worth"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
To paraphrase Sen. Franken. Authoritarians love their leaders like a 4-year-old loves his daddy. To a 4-year-old, everything daddy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes daddy is bad.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bulgakov posted:

picture yourself in a fire-ready factory in san jose, hours adjacent to san fran

scorpions are stinging your testicals as you await FUTURE LOVE by stock prices through the roof

ACTUALLY, MY LOVER HAS EIGHT LEGS!! you scream as you die on a reddit post

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lol Uber just announced they're pulling out of Denmark due to "new legislation making it impossible for them to keep operating"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

For the companies that believe that touting their values can be a path to profits, these are heady days. Customers have not only come to expect that companies stand for something, in addition to selling whatever they're selling, but many Americans are more attuned to expressing beliefs through how they spend. And one company posed to reap benefits from that zeitgeist is ride app company Lyft.

“We’re woke. Our community is woke, and the U.S. population is woke,” Lyft President John Zimmer tells TIME, sitting in his five-year-old company’s San Francisco headquarters. “There’s an awakening … Our vote matters, our choice matters, the seat we take matters.”

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mods plz rename me woke gig economist

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so good old california limousine liberalism is going universal?

I'm a good progressive person because I shop at whole foods, eat woo food, drive a prius (tesla if your nerd sect), live in marin/peninsula, and am OK with my gay neighbors existing, and now I have a liberal taxi service!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

For the companies that believe that touting their values can be a path to profits, these are heady days. Customers have not only come to expect that companies stand for something, in addition to selling whatever they're selling, but many Americans are more attuned to expressing beliefs through how they spend. And one company posed to reap benefits from that zeitgeist is ride app company Lyft.

“We’re woke. Our community is woke, and the U.S. population is woke,” Lyft President John Zimmer tells TIME, sitting in his five-year-old company’s San Francisco headquarters. “There’s an awakening … Our vote matters, our choice matters, the seat we take matters.”

an awokening

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/846780783859765249

jewbers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

is this the right thread to talk about Drupal vs. :biotruths:?

elaborate por favor

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

:pusheen:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Last Chance posted:

elaborate por favor

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/26/sex-and-gor-and-open-source/

e: Basically nerd is into a weird LARP-y version of BDSM, nerd doesn't know when to shut up about being into BDSM and brings it up in professional settings, nerd gets kicked off the team, this is an outrage to some people who never developed their social abilities beyond age 5

e2: also the team he got kicked out of are also kinda dicks who gave a really stupid reason for it

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what the poo poo is an uberetto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

what the poo poo is an uberetto