Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Why ban cards in commander at all? It seems like a format that doesn't these types of actions considering that point of playing doesn't appear to be winning anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

Duel Commander is actually a great format that a lot of people play and enjoy.

It's hard reading this with a straight face knowing it's not sarcasm

Commander in my experience is that it's a format where it's OK for you to do a thing and work to achieve that goal but if someone disrupts it or stops you from doing it then the other person complains incessantly or just scoops because "You prevented me from doing (insert thing)"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sickening posted:

Why ban cards in commander at all? It seems like a format that doesn't these types of actions considering that point of playing doesn't appear to be winning anyway.
Because they want you to have their kind of Right and Proper fun, not that other kind of inferior fun!

Casual formats always have people who want to make up rules to tell other people how to have fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's hard reading this with a straight face knowing it's not sarcasm

Commander in my experience is that it's a format where it's OK for you to do a thing and work to achieve that goal but if someone disrupts it or stops you from doing it then the other person complains incessantly or just scoops because "You prevented me from doing (insert thing)"

Yeah that's not Duel Commander at all. It's basically singleton legacy, an actual competitive format, that takes itself seriously instead of being a group hug funsies format like multiplayer Commander is.

It's pretty off the radar as far as sanctioning or whatever goes, but it has the occasional big tournament in places. :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Nah it's this:

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's just a shame since there's an entire genre of parallel "racing" euro games that have varying degress of interaction (via worker placement or direct conflict or area control or other forms of abstraction) but lots of people will doggedly stick to their MTG TM branded version which was never made to be played that way. And they all cost $20-100 which is much cheaper than all but the preconstructed EDH decks. :psyduck:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

The best part of commander is building decks with the goal of winning and having people get mad at you.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I play stop that and ashnods coupon in my edh deck

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

I play stop that and ashnods coupon in my edh deck

Good.

I have a bunch of cards to put together Frankie Peanuts but have yet to find the perfect playgroup to show up to and be that guy at.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Sickening posted:

Okay, who has played this janky deck?

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ironworks-combo-modern/

I get that efro just copies and pastes mtgo lists and calls it an article but Ryan Overturf posted that he believes this deck has a very consistent turn 3 kill.
Frank Lepore played it earlier the same week Efro posted it, so he doesn't even read the headlines foe the site he writes for:
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/modern-monday-krark-clan-combo/

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I've recently been on a crusade to get Paradox Engine officially banned, because I am evil. Also, I love playing the card and am abusing the gently caress out of it until it is.

I'm trying to figure out the maximum troll value out of the card, and probably want to make a Leovold elf-ball tribal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Do we have a formal wording for Embalm yet? It sounds like it "creates a token that is a copy of this creature that is also a zombie" and as such copies things like CMC?

Edit: willing to bet right now there will be a mythic that gives all your creatures Embalm.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 28, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Every time I've been asked to play EDH it's been like I'm being asked for money to buy meth or something.

"C'mon man I need my fix off this elfball deck that I've been playing every weekend for years going off."

Then if you agree to play and have a deck that is significantly interactive outside of sorcery-speed board resets you get reactions like you just flushed their stash right in front of them.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Sickening posted:

The cards that are on the current ban list are all either ultra feelbad, or enable turn 1 wins (channel when you have 40 life is the obvious example). The current banlist is fine! When stuff like Prophet of Kruphix gets printed that needs to see a ban, but since that's just a far better version of seedborn muse (a fine card!) that kind of ban makes sense.

Sol Ring will never see a ban as it's been reprinted in every single commander product, and while super powered, it is an important staple of the format. Plus, ~If everyone's super, nobody is~

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do we have a formal wording for Embalm yet? It sounds like it "creates a token that is a copy of this creature that is also a zombie" and as such copies things like CMC?

Edit: willing to bet right now there will be a mythic that gives all your creatures Embalm.

White zombie token, same P/T, no CMC.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
See, we didn't even make one full page before we came to the consensus that commander is dumb poo poo for idiots

(I even played it over the weekend, jokes on me)

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

En Fuego posted:

I've recently been on a crusade to get Paradox Engine officially banned, because I am evil. Also, I love playing the card and am abusing the gently caress out of it until it is.

I'm trying to figure out the maximum troll value out of the card, and probably want to make a Leovold elf-ball tribal.

Unless you literally play with Sheldon you probably can't get anything banned

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I heard rumors about this, but sucks that it's true. KMC has gone to poo poo since being sold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWIBDVkGUY

I'm a DS man myself, but balls to KMC.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I heard rumors about this, but sucks that it's true. KMC has gone to poo poo since being sold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWIBDVkGUY

As a fan of double sleeving, it does loving suck. I bought a poo poo load of the old KMC's I liked at 3 a piece due to an amazon sale, when those run out its going to suck. The dragon shield just doesn't double sleeve very well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

As a fan of double sleeving, it does loving suck. I bought a poo poo load of the old KMC's I liked at 3 a piece due to an amazon sale, when those run out its going to suck. The dragon shield just doesn't double sleeve very well.

Dragon Shield Copper and Turquoise are weirdly the only non-matte DS's that double sleeve awesomely. They are visibly different from every other smooth-backed DS with less curve as well. I double sleeve every modern deck I own in Coppers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Double sleeving is just a huge pain in the rear end that isn't ever worth doing, imo. Don't play your Modern deck with a Coke with a flimsy lid on the table.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mossyfisk posted:

Just lol that MaRo's 'wait and see' reason for no graveyard hate was "we wanted to make sure graveyard strategies would be good".

This is why I'm not convinced they're actually going to be able to turn Standard around. Between Maro doubling down on how printing hate is bad and Stoddard claiming that the real problem was new rotation, it doesn't seem like they're listening to the community or recognizing that lack of answers was a mistake.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I've used them exclusively for a few years but they've really been terrible for the better part of a year, if not more. I've had more sleeves split in a month than I have in the entire almost 20 years I've been playing with sleeves. I've been trying other brands lately and I think ultra pro mattes were the ones I've liked most but I don't actually remember off the top of my head.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 28, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Double sleeving is just a huge pain in the rear end that isn't ever worth doing, imo. Don't play your Modern deck with a Coke with a flimsy lid on the table.

There is a ton of poo poo that falls into sleeves, too. My double sleeved cards will get grit on the top of the inner sleeve that would otherwise be on the cards.

And once it's done, it's done. I basically just throw a cheap KMC perfect fit on any card worth anything, and keep all my actively good modern cards sleeved up in a deck anyway, and just swap manabases and other staples between decks.

suicidesteve posted:

I've used them exclusively for a few years but they've really been sucking for the better part of a year, if not more. I've had more sleeves split in a month than I have in the entire almost 20 years I've been playing with sleeves. I've been buying other brands to try out lately.

Again, I'd highly recommend DS Coppers for chill dulcet tones, or Turquoise if you like brighter colors.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is why I'm not convinced they're actually going to be able to turn Standard around. Between Maro doubling down on how printing hate is bad and Stoddard claiming that the real problem was new rotation, it doesn't seem like they're listening to the community or recognizing that lack of answers was a mistake.

The actual problem is that they don't like answers that feel unfun; e.g. proactive things you can do to stop your opponents game plan. The only answers they are willing to print are reactive 1 for 1s or deploying your own strategy bigger and/or faster.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I heard similar complaints about KMCs at my last FNM. I like them a lot but could probably stand to re-sleeve a couple decks. Should've done it sooner!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual problem is that they don't like answers that feel unfun; e.g. proactive things you can do to stop your opponents game plan. The only answers they are willing to print are reactive 1 for 1s or deploying your own strategy bigger and/or faster.

Which makes any kind of recursive creature, or anything that brings friends along harder to answer. Embalm is probably just going to be a nightmare if you hate grindy value decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I use to think the same thing until I tried it with KMC. I am not even a stickler on card condition but even I can recognize that putting a card in a perfect fit removes almost all chances its going to get dinged up even from play or while changing sleeves (the protection from spills was just a bonus). It was basically just perfect fit and forget. They even figured out how to make the process of double sleeving easy because I didn't even have issues with the perfect fit trying to push out when sleeving anymore.

Trying to double sleeve in dragon shields just leads to the old frustration of the inner sleeve wanting to pop out. gently caress that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't own half the cards I play with so I'm not taking any chances with them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't know the actual oracle text, but my guess is that the reminder text is:

"Embalm 2W (2W, exile this card from your graveyard: create a token that's a copy of this creature except its white, its a zombie in addition to its other types, and it has no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)" I don't actually know if the exile is part of the cost or happens on resolution, but my guess is that it's part of the cost in order to not let it get around Disallow.

I guess they could make a Yawgmoth's Will variant with embalm if they wanted to:

Bolas' Will
1B
Each creature card in your graveyard gains embalm until end of turn. The embalm cost is equal to its mana cost.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't own half the cards I play with so I'm not taking any chances with them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 28, 2017

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ShaneB posted:

drat no more KMCs for me. The ones I have seem to be holding up pretty well but I think it's time to try out the Eclipse series. I personally dislike the graphic sleeves but my girlfriend likes them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pr0digal posted:

drat no more KMCs for me. The ones I have seem to be holding up pretty well but I think it's time to try out the Eclipse series. I personally dislike the graphic sleeves but my girlfriend likes them.

I ordered the pink eclipses off amazon just now and I guess that is what I am sleeving up for this weekend.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mostly just use single-sleeved Dragon Shield Mattes. I used to double sleeve KMCs but its just such a time sink to get the perfect fits on and off when you change cards in your deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I mostly just use single-sleeved Dragon Shield Mattes. I used to double sleeve KMCs but its just such a time sink to get the perfect fits on and off when you change cards in your deck.

Perfect fits are like 3 bucks for 100, why are you ever taking them off?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

You can now hide your white border shame.

https://twitter.com/potomacdist/status/844698031903649793

It's missing text that makes Bitterblossom a tribal enchantment.

Can they make these, but make your border white on all your cards instead?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I ordered the pink eclipses off amazon just now and I guess that is what I am sleeving up for this weekend.

A box of 8 are like $39 from potomac distro. That's crazy cheap! (although like $10 shipping)

My main issue with the Eclipse ones is the inner black lining doesn't let any crazy color choice show through around the card when it's being played. :(

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 28, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Can they make these, but make your border white on all your cards instead?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Have any of you tried double sleeving Dragon Shields with the new Dragon Shield perfect fit? I really like the apple green but I read that I'll need to use a perfect fit smoke back in them because the apple green aren't fully opaque.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
*Crosses fingers for sand duals*

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

KillarySwank posted:

*Crosses fingers for sand duals*

Probably just going to get the other color fast lands (highly doubtful) or the BFZ tapped unless you have 2 or more basics

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone who was playing at the time explain to me why Coldsnap exists? It seems so bizzare to release a tiny set that was tied into Ice Age from 11 years prior.

• Locked thread