Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There's an interesting article out today about the election results, by Nate Cohn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/upshot/a-2016-review-turnout-wasnt-the-driver-of-clintons-defeat.html?_r=0

It argues, after an analysis of voter rolls, that turnout was not actually why Clinton lost the election, or that it had a modest effect. Instead, her defeat can be chalked up mostly to people who had previously voted for Obama, and then voted for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There's an interesting article out today about the election results, by Nate Cohn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/upshot/a-2016-review-turnout-wasnt-the-driver-of-clintons-defeat.html?_r=0

It argues, after an analysis of voter rolls, that turnout was not actually why Clinton lost the election, or that it had a modest effect. Instead, her defeat can be chalked up mostly to people who had previously voted for Obama, and then voted for Trump.

That's what it argues, but the numbers it cites don't exactly back that up. In most of the examples they give, it just seems like they didn't learn the other lesson of 2016: margin of error matters. Also, they don't seem to take into account population change. For example, in their discussion of Schuylkill County, they note that Hillary had 7,776 fewer votes compared to Obama and point to the fact that the number of registered voters that stayed home in 2016 is unlikely to account for more than half that sum...but they make a point of ignoring population changes, even though that county's population has dropped by roughly 5,000 people since 2010.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TyrantWD posted:

Much like the Republicans voting for a clean repeal of Obamacare, it's something they support when they know they will never have to defend and fight for it.

Wrong

Issue with Republicans was they all want ACA home but can't agree on what to replace it with

This is agreement on the replacement part so issue isn't the same

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Right. They disagree on what to replace it with because many are fully aware that a bad replacement means an electoral hit.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is pretty convincing stuff. Turnout wasn't down significantly, and it's not the case that Clinton failed to turn out liberals where trump succeeded in turning out deplorables. Instead, trump got a significant number of white working class voters to flip from Obama to him. The question we need to answer is why.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

This is pretty convincing stuff. Turnout wasn't down significantly, and it's not the case that Clinton failed to turn out liberals where trump succeeded in turning out deplorables. Instead, trump got a significant number of white working class voters to flip from Obama to him. The question we need to answer is why.

probably because clinton's messaging on jobs (and thus peoples' impression of her policies no matter what it says on her website) was a wet fart whereas trump's was a wet fart that managed to make it sound like he cared even for a second about working people, which is something clinton never seemed to get the hang of.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason to assume the Pew data on Trump voters is wrong? Because that suggests that Trump voters are better-off within their socioeconomic classes and more motivated by "fear of falling" than by lack of jobs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Yeah, this is significant. While having voted for Obama obviously doesn't inoculate one from being racist, or voting for/against a candidate for racist reasons, the fact that it's one-in-four white working class Obama supporters defecting to either Trump or a third-party candidate, suggests to me that race wasn't the fulcrum issue for most of them. This seems particularly to be the case, given that so many of these defections were centered in Rust Belt communities.

e:

Brainiac Five posted:

Is there any reason to assume the Pew data on Trump voters is wrong? Because that suggests that Trump voters are better-off within their socioeconomic classes and more motivated by "fear of falling" than by lack of jobs.

This is the Pew data from November, or something more recent?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 28, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Because that suggests that Trump voters are better-off within their socioeconomic classes and more motivated by "fear of falling" than by lack of jobs.

Haven't we known this since before the election? The bulk of his supporters were pretty well off. That's why we kept mocking "economic insecurity."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Haven't we known this since before the election? The bulk of his supporters were pretty well off. That's why we kept mocking "economic insecurity."

IIRC, the data that suggested that Trump voters, on average, weren't poor, was from the primaries, and obviously the Trump coalition evolved quite a bit between then and last November.

e: It was from April/May 2016, if we're talking about the same data, so actually a little later than I thought. But still, it was fairly early, and the general election hadn't begun in earnest. Primary voters aren't always reflective of general election voters.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 28, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Yeah, this is significant. While having voted for Obama obviously doesn't inoculate one from being racist, or voting for/against a candidate for racist reasons, the fact that it's one-in-four white working class Obama supporters defecting to either Trump or a third-party candidate, suggests to me that race wasn't the fulcrum issue for most of them. This seems particularly to be the case, given that so many of these defections were centered in Rust Belt communities.

I'm asking myself what did Obama do during his 2nd term that pissed off 25% of his white working class supporters and that Trump offered a credible enough alternative? Immigration-- DACA and DAPA-- is a strong contender.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm asking myself what did Obama do during his 2nd term that pissed off 25% of his white working class supporters and that Trump offered a credible enough alternative?

Not enough.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

JeffersonClay posted:

The question we need to answer is why.

The economic policies of both parties have gutted the rust belt, that's why it's called the rust belt. Then comes along someone who says they're going to do something different. Other choice doesn't even bother to show up to say anything. Hrm.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm asking myself what did Obama do during his 2nd term that pissed off 25% of his white working class supporters and that Trump offered a credible enough alternative? Immigration-- DACA and DAPA-- is a strong contender.

You might be over thinking it. Slowly deteriorating conditions combined with liberal admonishment that improvement is and will always be glacial if at all possible is enough to demoralize most anyone.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Rise of BLM

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

It's possible for most Trump voters to be relatively well-off financially while a small sub-set of poorer Trump voters is also very important electorally. Most well-off Trump voters are likely people who always vote Republican regardless, so the only Trump voters we should care about are the ones who aren't consistent Republican voters and can either be convinced to vote Democrat or not vote at all (and if the article is correct it seems like many Obama -> Trump voters are poor whites or whatever).

JeffersonClay posted:

Another (more likely IMO) explanation is that people who are doing poorly (economically or otherwise) are more likely to vote for a candidate that promises dramatic change. Obama did that in 2008 (and at the very least Romney certainly didn't do it in 2012) and Trump did that in 2016.

edit: It's kind of weird that you'd automatically assume the reason was "Obama pissed them off" in the first place. I mean, that's certainly a possible reason, but there are several other plausible reasons someone might switch their vote from one party to the other.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Doubtful since the dems want nearly as much to do with blm as the republicans.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

But even then, a lot of Trump supporters mistakenly believe that immigration has a significant impact on their employment prospects. In response to the growing misery they see in their communities, and the government's apparent inability or unwillingness to do something about it, they buy into the magical thinking that their manufacturing jobs will come back if the government kicks out the undocumented workers and cancels NAFTA. They're wrong, and they're ignorant, but they're also just really desperate.

Ehhh, for the most racist Trump supporters, it probably helped turn them out. I don't think it does enough to explain so many white working class voters defecting from Obama to Trump, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

Ehhh, for the most racist Trump supporters, it probably helped turn them out. I don't think it does enough to explain so many white working class voters defecting from Obama to Trump, though.

I think there was a strong "I can't be racist, I voted for a black man" thing going on, and some people soured on that when it turns out that other black people don't think racism is over because black president.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

But even then, a lot of Trump supporters mistakenly believe that immigration has a significant impact on their employment prospects. In response to the growing misery they see in their communities, and the government's apparent inability or unwillingness to do something about it, they buy into the magical thinking that their manufacturing jobs will come back if the government kicks out the undocumented workers and cancels NAFTA. They're wrong, and they're ignorant, but they're also just really desperate.

If these voters see their economic prospects through a racist, zero-sum lens, we're going to have big problems appealing to them with better welfare policies, or with candidates who aren't providing constant coded assurance that they will return whites to their former position of dominance.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think there was a strong "I can't be racist, I voted for a black man" thing going on, and some people soured on that when it turns out that other black people don't think racism is over because black president.

Or even "Obama's a good one, smart, calm, doesn't make me feel bad, he'll keep the others in line" and when that illusion dissolves they vote for law and order.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 28, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

If these voters see their economic prospects through a racist, zero-sum lens, we're going to have big problems appealing to them with better welfare policies, or with candidates who aren't providing constant coded assurance that they will return whites to their former position of dominance.

Or even "Obama's a good one, smart, calm, doesn't make me feel bad, he'll keep the others in line" and when that illusion dissolves they vote for law and order.

So you want to embrace racism more to gain power? Cause I want the dems to actually embrace blm

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

It's because of people like you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I mean, you want a real obvious difference between hillary and Obama? Obama promised a public option, hillary said she'd be ok with it if states offer public options on their own, which does gently caress all to help rust belters

You know what rust belters wanted to talk about when bernie did a town hall? Not how much they hate black people, but how much they need healthcare

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
So much for that brief, pleasant interlude of smart leftism, but Condiv and crew are back to reclaim his thread.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

So you want to embrace racism more to gain power? Cause I want the dems to actually embrace blm
Like I mentioned before, once Trump proved you can still gain power by being a racist poo poo, of course centrist fuckers like JC are going to take another look at it, and you see exactly that in this thread. It's why allying with people who are interested in power for its own sake (or, the nobodies who support them for whatever reason) will eventually bite you in the rear end.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

So much for that brief, pleasant interlude of smart leftism, but Condiv and crew are back to reclaim his thread.
get hosed you arrogant poo poo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

The smart thing is to drive you from the party.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think the Democrats are doing better now and Manchin pretending he has Lieberman superpowers will eventually consume him as they consumed Joe.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

I don't see how this accusation follows. A post says "Democratic strategy should take racism into account" and the response being "Aha, you think Dems should be more racist" suggests that the only way to be nonracist as a party is to ignore racism altogether. While this is entirely in line with expressed Bernout viewpoints, it doesn't make sense at all.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
People who think racism is real and affects electoral outcomes are the real racists, they must be purged.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

People who think racism is real and affects electoral outcomes are the real racists, they must be purged.

Says a racist.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't see how this accusation follows. A post says "Democratic strategy should take racism into account" and the response being "Aha, you think Dems should be more racist" suggests that the only way to be nonracist as a party is to ignore racism altogether. While this is entirely in line with expressed Bernout viewpoints, it doesn't make sense at all.
JC advocates putting economic reforms on the backburner and cracking down on immigration, because racism. So yeah he's saying the Democrats should be more racist. It's one thing to "account for" racism where you're trying to sell people on a vision that is not racist. It's quite another to cater to that racism, in effect encouraging it.

Again, it's a strange place to be since right after the election it was the centrists accusing the left of racism by trying to have the party focus on economics some more. And now those very same people are advocated social policies steeped in and informed by racist attitudes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

What's your prescription? Avoid blm? Not pay as much attention to black people? Cause duh racism effects electoral outcomes, but there's literally nothing we can do about that short of embracing racism ourselves

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

They're more self-involved than I think you realize, though. They care more about whether or not they are getting relief at all, than whether or not "those people" are also getting relief. Some of them may not like the fact that minorities disproportionately benefit from social welfare programs, but for most of them, as I've said, they're just desperate to get help for their hometowns. They wouldn't turn down what they perceived as a chance to save their homes from deindustrialized misery, just because the program would also help Latinos and black people. The reason why they turned down what Clinton was offering, was that they didn't perceive it as a chance to save their hometowns at all.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think that's true, but I also don't think they would care so much about these things if they weren't desperate for jobs, affordable health care, an end to the opioid epidemic, etc.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

What's your prescription? Avoid blm? Not pay as much attention to black people? Cause duh racism effects electoral outcomes, but there's literally nothing we can do about that short of embracing racism ourselves
Well, we can offer a vision that eschews racism and helps people and hope that once you give people a bit of a break from the wage slavery pressure cooker, they quit turning to racism as the answer to their problems so much. You know, the right thing and the responsible thing. The not-a-cynical-rear end in a top hat thing.

The JCs of the world can't even conceive of such a strategy because "we trick people into voting for us" is one of the pillars of centrism. Treating people like human beings just isn't something that would occur to him.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Condiv posted:

Who ever said that the lesson the Democrats would learn coming out of 2016 would be, we have to get more racist, was 100 percent right

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The thing about pinning Clinton's defeat / Obama voters turning away on racism, is that it's basically a narrative of "bad people rejected the Democrats because the Democrats are just too good".

You can't ignore the dynamics of race in American politics, but among many liberals there's this Myth Of The Great Southern Strategy where everything that has happened in politics in the last 30 years can be explained by racists abandoning the virtuous Democrats entirely over support of minority causes, which severely understates other changes in the Democratic Party and severely overstates how good Democrats actually are with regards to minority causes.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

KomradeX posted:

Who ever said that the lesson the Democrats would learn coming out of 2016 would be, we have to get more racist, was 100 percent right
The thing is it was the establishment sycophants accusing the left of it, though. And now here we are.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

Well, we can offer a vision that eschews racism and helps people and hope that once you give people a bit of a break from the wage slavery pressure cooker, they quit turning to racism as the answer to their problems so much. You know, the right thing and the responsible thing. The not-a-cynical-rear end in a top hat thing.

The JCs of the world can't even conceive of such a strategy because "we trick people into voting for us" is one of the pillars of centrism. Treating people like human beings just isn't something that would occur to him.

JC and crew don't admit such a phenomena exists. The idea that poverty and despair feeds racism, not to mention all kinds of other antisocial behavior is lost on them. That's why they think that racial and economic justice aren't intertwined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Condiv posted:

Yeah! And when did you stop beating your wife anyway?

I don't agree with a lot of what JC is saying, but I at least take the time to read it before I start frothing at the mouth.

Condiv posted:

I mean, you want a real obvious difference between hillary and Obama? Obama promised a public option, hillary said she'd be ok with it if states offer public options on their own, which does gently caress all to help rust belters

You know what rust belters wanted to talk about when bernie did a town hall? Not how much they hate black people, but how much they need healthcare

And then they turned around and voted for Donald Trump. You really think if Hillary had been 100% for single payer those people would've voted for her instead?.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread