Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah, I'd agree with that, but even in Theme Park Ride SH2 mode(i played it on beginner first time so I can't criticize it) the monsters and combat lend heavily to the atmosphere, which is not just a magical thing that the game somehow produces through a complex biological reaction, but instead the sum total of all the games parts and how they help the player get into it; If there were only a few scripted chases and you never found a weapon you'd be aware you were safe most of the time

Like in shattered memories for example, the silent hill with no combat but lots of running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I wonder what would happen if you just made the enemies scar and passive so that the player felt like they had to kill them although in reality they can't actually hurt you.

That might have been thematically appropriate.

Also the chase sequence from SH2 was great, the problem with shattered memories had more to do with lots of it being poorly executed than anything fundamental to the choices made

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

hanales posted:

The Silent Hill series is not good enough to warrant this passionate of discourse.

:chloe:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hanales posted:

The Silent Hill series is not good enough to warrant this passionate of discourse.

I find your tastes questionable, good sir/madam/xir

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tendales posted:

Is there any game where the asylum is actually an asylum?
i.e. it's the only place of safety from the overwhelming danger outside?

The Evil Within, kind of

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Combat in horror games like SH2 feels to me like the drumbeat of a pop song. It's repetitive and sorta fades into the background but it's crucial to keep you constantly engaged and the relative constancy helps the big "solo" moments stand out more.

It worked in SH2. They needed to switch the beat up in Outlast, really dragged by the end of the track.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

With the pistons moving up and down? Yeah. It creeped me out as a teenager and it still kind of makes me uncomfortable now.

Tired Moritz posted:

All horror games are bad except anime manga horror story

Agreed

Jukebox Hero posted:

If James had a secret backstory about how he's scared of people running fast then fine but you can't just say 'sh2 would be better with no combat and chase sequences and if it was two hours long' because then it's a game with a plot about a depressed miserable rear end in a top hat trying to find a reason to not kill himself but the GAME part is just chase sequences and point and click adventure sequences(or just the normal game but without fighting, in which case you're literally saying 'this game needs less features') none of that boring awful gameplay to get in the way of the cutscenes.

I really have nothing left to say to you. You equate quality with length, and that's just wrong both on a design level and literally because Silent Hill 2 offers plenty of content. And you can't see why axing half-baked features is a good thing, as if a mediocre 8 hour game is better than a good 4 hour game. I am literally saying "this game needs less features" and I defy why this is a bad thing. Am I still in 1998, are we still giving grades to "replay value"? Is this not the thread where the universal complain about Alien Isolation is that it's "10 hours longer than it should be?"

The 90s were rough

But more than that you equate the theme in your head to this perceived style of gameplay but they don't tie together in the slightest. All the characters are running from their past, running from responsibility. Pyramid Head represents James' aggressive sexual frustration and it's not until the end of the game when he accepts responsibility that he stops running from Pyramid Head and fights. Furthermore running through Mary's conversation is a key part in the ending, part of James forgetting. The game literally rewards playing recklessly, torturing yourself, not healing, rushing your way through. Angela is the one depressed to inaction, her inner-monster is a slow moving flesh-bed. But James is running from himself and that's why Pyramid Head is a fast, violent, invincible ogre.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

honestly we should be praising sh2 for decoupling its action difficulty and puzzle difficulty and i don't know why every other game ever doesn't do that

I did! And I agree it's brilliant and more games need to do it. The puzzles feel "smarter" in Silent Hill, like someone was playing Myst and then Cronenberg'ed it up. And the most uneventful moments of Silent Hill are always the best. No other game makes reaching into a toilet or hole in the wall a lip biting experience.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

I really have nothing left to say to you.

You sure managed a lot of words despite that

Okay I'm not saying NOTHING benefits from being cut down

I'm saying that the game silent hill 2

Would not be improved

By being made into the outlast clone you keep describing

No weapons:
-The elevator sequence at the end where you dump your poo poo now means nothing but no flashlight
-The great knife is now just a weapon PH uses and the symbolic power transfer of James taking it cannot happen
-the well trap with the fake wall needs a new solution that has to be a little puzzle menu where no scawy monstaws can hurt you or just mashing examine on the walls, the worst solution
-The lying figures can't jump out from under the cars and scare you because then you'd need to plan out a chase sequence
-The Pyramid Head "chase sequences" that replaces the boss fights neuter James of any growth in trying to actively fight the manifestations of his darker impulses, instead they just run away/suicide Because?
-etc

If you have solutions to these concerns I'm ready to admit you're right and it'd be better as an outlast clone if you can prove that all this poo poo is either fat to be trimmed or can convincingly recontextualize it

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 25, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

No weapons:
-The elevator sequence at the end where you dump your poo poo now means nothing but no flashlight
-The great knife is now just a weapon PH uses and the symbolic power transfer of James taking it cannot happen
-the well trap with the fake wall needs a new solution that has to be a little puzzle menu where no scawy monstaws can hurt you or just mashing examine on the walls, the worst solution
-The lying figures can't jump out from under the cars and scare you because then you'd need to plan out a chase sequence
-The Pyramid Head "chase sequences" that replaces the boss fights neuter James of any growth in trying to actively fight the manifestations of his darker impulses, instead they just run away/suicide Because?
-etc

-The elevator sequence doesn't lose meaning. "Weight limit: one person" does not just mean dumping your weapons, it's leaving behind the weight you've carried with you since the beginning. More poignantly, the two items you can keep (but probably won't on your first play) are Mary's photo and letter because they are part of James as a person. Secondly, from a design perspective, your flashlight and radio are more useful than your weapons. Losing your eyes and ears is scarier than losing your armory.

-I never used the great knife because the steel pipe is faster and just as effective. But the symbolism wasn't lost on me despite never equipping it and I don't know why you're advocating I would remove it completely?

-Are you talking about the creeper room? The one filled with giant bugs that can kill you but you have all the time in the world to solve the randomly generated trial-and-error puzzle? The bugs are window dressing, they pose no threat unless you actually try to die. And I wouldn't remove them, their presence is enough.

-The act of something surprising you is what makes this scary, not the ineffectual nearly-harmless enemy. Having stuff skitter about or walk in the foreground is scary. That illusion is broken when you have to clumsily whack at it.

-What growth does James get from the boss fights? The first Pyramid Head "fight" is just avoiding him until he leaves. The second boss is Angela's fear and if you ask me using violence against the physical manifestation of rape as a man who's trying to make amends with his inner turmoil is pretty dumb. Not to mention it being a bad boss fight that's interesting only because it's creepy. Fighting Eddie might be the worse, one because James is nonplussed to kill a human being but from a narrative perspective you shoot this guy pointblank with a shotgun 20 times. I have to go back to the original on this one: Cybil was inaccurate, slow, and had a single magazine while Eddie is a crack shot, fast, and has infinite ammo despite wielding a six shooter. It would've made for a much more interesting encounter to avoid Eddie until he uses up his six shots then you can beat on him accentuating that he's just a fat manbabby who needs a gun to feel powerful.

Lastly the final encounters don't need to happen. James admits to his true feelings and you wail on the Pyramid Heads but in the end they kill themselves. The fight exists because the developers were like "video game = combat so boss fight goes here." The results of the fight are completely separate from the battle that precedes.

Good horror is an illusion. It's making the player fear what's not actually out there. The best parts of Silent Hill 2 do just that. You can still have life and death, monsters that scurry from under cars, and boss encounters without requiring the player to defeat them. And I'll flip the question back on you, what is the motivation for the monsters wanting to kill James? In SH1 the monsters are demons and Harry represents good. But Imamura said James reflects the evil that Harry was fighting. Pyramid Head wants to punish James, but every other monster should scurry in fear from James, especially the busty nurses.

Murdering these twisted but benign "soured flesh" monsters would've been both more thematically appropriate but could've tied directly into gameplay. In the same way Kojima made The End difficult based on how many people you kill, Silent Hill 2 could've made the scripted encounters with Pyramid Head et al more involved as you go out of your way to murder the denizens of Silent Hill. Hell with a design like that I would totally reverse my opinion and say combat, despite being uninteresting, would be integral to the game. A violent James has a rough final fight while a saintly James has Pyramid Head immediately throwing itself on its spear at your feet.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 25, 2017

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I'm just honestly confused why you think that sh2 would be better if it ignored its own themes and made a 'game' part that was just built to tell a different story about some dude who runs a lot.
I said "I think SH2's combat is important to telling its story but it's bad and needs to be improved" and somehow you pulled "remove SH2's combat entirely" from that, I'm really impressed
maybe you weren't talking to me, but then that raises other questions so

al-azad posted:

The game literally rewards playing recklessly, torturing yourself, not healing,
I'm not sure if I'm misreading what you're saying or there's just something I don't know, but playing recklessly and purposely keeping James at low health will only net you the worst ending, and I'd argue that the best (canon) ending requires the exact opposite. Which ending is "best" or "worst" may up for debate, but I certainly wouldn't say that the game rewards reckless play, especially since it dynamically offers healthkits based on how many you currently have, so resource management is hardly an issue. Furthermore, I think that allowing the player to kill some things and not others makes for a better contrast (see: Alien: Isolation), and I don't think that the combat being removed would save the game from being boring, because that forgettable two-hour chunk in the underground isn't even particularly heavy on combat (nor puzzle, nor much of anything). Or... maybe it is, and I've just forgotten about most of the combat because that's how boring it is. Either way, the combat in SH games exists in the interest of pacing, and I don't think removing it would be the right choice. Combat allows the player to take control of their situation, which is a good way for a game to pace out its horror - once you've gotten into the flow of an encounter, you'll ease up, let go the tension, and that means that you, as a player, are ready for the next big scare. Pacing a horror game can be done without combat, it's true, but I think "How can we make the combat better?" is a more involved conversation than "Should the combat be removed entirely?"

I absolutely disagree with what you've said about the elevator bit, as well. The reason that hit me so hard was because I had to drop any form of safety I'd been holding onto. Losing the flashlight and radio is still scary, but being unable to combat any further horrors is a huge part of that scare, and I absolutely do not think that would have nearly the same impact without the game being severely reworked.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

honestly we should be praising sh2 for decoupling its action difficulty and puzzle difficulty and i don't know why every other game ever doesn't do that
It's pretty easy to adjust puzzle difficulty when the number of puzzles is small and the puzzles themselves are essentially riddles. Zelda games offering a puzzle difficulty selection would be incredible, but as OoT Master Quest illustrates, there's only so much you can do without totally reworking the level design (and MQ is pretty janky at some points because of this limitation). Still, you're right, it's a clever choice, especially because it allowed the developers to create impressively difficult puzzles without potentially hampering the experience of a first-time player.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
"My fan fiction game that will never exist is superior to a game that has been appreciated and remembered as one of the bed of it's kind for a decade and a half neener neener neener"

Why don't you go make Silent Hill Uranium somewhere else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

I'm not sure if I'm misreading what you're saying or there's just something I don't know, but playing recklessly and purposely keeping James at low health will only net you the worst ending, and I'd argue that the best (canon) ending requires the exact opposite. Which ending is "best" or "worst" may up for debate, but I certainly wouldn't say that the game rewards reckless play, especially since it dynamically offers healthkits based on how many you currently have, so resource management is hardly an issue. Furthermore, I think that allowing the player to kill some things and not others makes for a better contrast (see: Alien: Isolation), and I don't think that the combat being removed would save the game from being boring, because that forgettable two-hour chunk in the underground isn't even particularly heavy on combat (nor puzzle, nor much of anything). Or... maybe it is, and I've just forgotten about most of the combat because that's how boring it is. Either way, the combat in SH games exists in the interest of pacing, and I don't think removing it would be the right choice. Combat allows the player to take control of their situation, which is a good way for a game to pace out its horror - once you've gotten into the flow of an encounter, you'll ease up, let go the tension, and that means that you, as a player, are ready for the next big scare. Pacing a horror game can be done without combat, it's true, but I think "How can we make the combat better?" is a more involved conversation than "Should the combat be removed entirely?"

I absolutely disagree with what you've said about the elevator bit, as well. The reason that hit me so hard was because I had to drop any form of safety I'd been holding onto. Losing the flashlight and radio is still scary, but being unable to combat any further horrors is a huge part of that scare, and I absolutely do not think that would have nearly the same impact without the game being severely reworked.

Ironically the voice actor for James and the designer Ito consider In Water, the reckless suicidal ending, their personal canon. But interestingly SH2 never got an official canon ending and even all the supplementary material refuses to settle on a single thing.

I'm not against "combat" as an idea, I'm against fighting as the be all end all solution. I'm more interested in alternate ways to overcome challenges: running, hiding, distracting, luring, setting traps, etc. A gun is the most boring and unimaginative solution to any problem in a video game.

That's why giving up my weapons didn't mean much, the enemies are a non issue. The tension in that scene came from the thought of what challenge I might have to face naked, not being unable to literally fight it toe to toe.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

"My fan fiction game that will never exist is superior to a game that has been appreciated and remembered as one of the bed of it's kind for a decade and a half neener neener neener"

And what elements have people appreciated and remembered for 16 years??????????

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

And what elements have people appreciated and remembered for 16 years??????????

Pyramid Head
Maria
Circumcision
Pyramid Head

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This dumb reductive crap is why I usually don't bother trying to field the position that SH2 is kind of flawed even compared to its contemporaries.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

Pyramid Head
Maria
Circumcision
Pyramid Head

I liked when John Snow got killed.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
never 4get

al-azad posted:

But interestingly SH2 never got an official canon ending and even all the supplementary material refuses to settle on a single thing.
Yeah, that's pretty clearly the point. While the first and third games are pretty cut-and-dry about what the good ending is, SH2 tells a moody story no matter what happens - but I feel that the ending where James learns to move on is the most powerful in terms of character development.

al-azad posted:

I'm not against "combat" as an idea, I'm against fighting as the be all end all solution. I'm more interested in alternate ways to overcome challenges: running, hiding, distracting, luring, setting traps, etc. A gun is the most boring and unimaginative solution to any problem in a video game.
I see your perspective, but I find it a lot easier to argue about what Silent Hill 2 could realistically be with light adjustments rather than what it might be with a complete gameplay shift.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been meaning to play the PSP game which I hear has weapon durability which solves one issue I have. The steel pipe is just too good and there's no reason why I wouldn't use it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Has anyone played Husk? I tried to, but it just runs so poorly that I kinda gave up in frustration. If anyone wanted to tell me what happens, that'd be great. :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

Has anyone played Husk? I tried to, but it just runs so poorly that I kinda gave up in frustration. If anyone wanted to tell me what happens, that'd be great. :)

I watched HarshlyCritical's video (who now goes by John Wolfe, ditching his internet persona) and he got bored of it. Even the worst games he at least tries to finish.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

al-azad posted:

I've been meaning to play the PSP game which I hear has weapon durability which solves one issue I have. The steel pipe is just too good and there's no reason why I wouldn't use it.

Origins is pretty bad and I don't recommend it. The weapon durability thing is annoying as balls because weapons are super fragile and won't last single enemy encounters and you don't swap to another weapon when one breaks, you go to the fists. And "Quick Select" is not very quick. And throwable weapons are poo poo. And QTE enemy grabs are annoying.

Protip if you insist on playing that game: Weapon durability goes off number of hits, not strength, lots of weak hits are poo poo damage and will break your stock of Katanas super quickly, use power attacks. How do you do a power attack? Kinda click the stick in the direction you wanna attack in and hit attack at roughly the same time and you might get one off if the game is in a good mood.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 25, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jukebox Hero posted:

Wow four whole chases.

That game might last a whole two hours with that juicy content

Especially when you're rushing to end the sequence ASAP because it's a chase, so you're not actually examining anything

Seriously just go play shatmemz if you want this game dude

And keep being reductive and obtuse about the combat and enemy design to make it sound stupid so your thing about running from guys sounds fun I guess

The problem with Shattered Memories was that it had terrible writing, not that there wasn't combat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

The problem with Shattered Memories was that it had terrible writing, not that there wasn't combat.

I dunno, I felt the writing was good enough for me to enjoy it but I didn't think the gameplay held up at all. The running aimlessly and hiding bit wasn't fun.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
My favorite thing about this dumb argument is al-azad claiming the elevator bit would be just as scary with no combat because you're getting rid of your radio without realising that no combat would make the radio completely pointless.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm a little at odds in this conversation. I really think there's a whole lot of personal preference in this which is sparking such extreme reactions.

I mean- when it comes down to it horror is trying to invoke fear in you- fight or flight!
Some people want one, some want the other, some want both! And that's okay!

It's just that when games go too far one way or the other, or the systems aren't built up well enough to really convey each individually, it becomes frustrating or tedious instead of fun.

Resident Evil 4 was scary for about an hour until you become a warmongering monster, and that completely removes the horror element and really makes the game a thriller, if anything. I would say it went a bit hard on the fight angle.
The Clock Tower series went in the exact other direction, where you can barely defend yourself at the best of times, and you need to know where to look to even try. You can find hiding spots and HOPE you don't die, full on flight, which is also thrilling, but some may find un-engaging.

Silent Hill 2 is somewhere between- the controls are clunky and it has this mind horror thing going on, but I think many people find it strikes a happy enough medium that they're satisfied with it.

I think there's absolutely a spectrum and striking dead center between deciding to fight or flee and have both options be equally meaningful is something not many games have accomplished. Haunting Ground comes to the top of my head, and while it definitely pushes the flee angle harder, fighting is always an option.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

al-azad posted:

Having stuff skitter about or walk in the foreground is scary. That illusion is broken when you have to clumsily whack at it.

For some people, the illusion is also broken as soon as you determine that the stuff in the foreground is never going to threaten you in any way. The currently popular compromise (Outlast/SOMA/Amnesia/etc.) tries to address this by letting them threaten you, but not letting you interact with them beyond maybe throwing a thing to make noise. This is an absurdly shallow design and I was bored of it before I finished Amnesia although I admit it seems to have staying power for some people. There's certainly potential design space for interaction that isn't just murdering all the monsters, but with the caveat that I haven't played Isolation yet I have so far been profoundly unimpressed by all attempts to explore it.

Among the currently prominent categories of pipe-bashing, walking sim, and hiding in the closet then tabbing out for a minute, I'll happily take pipe bashing every time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, I felt the writing was good enough for me to enjoy it but I didn't think the gameplay held up at all. The running aimlessly and hiding bit wasn't fun.

I really didn't like a lot of the writing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This discussion has reminded me what a masterpiece of horror design Silent Hill 1's first boss is. Enemies in horror games are only scary so long as they can threaten you, and that lizard thing specifically required you to bait out an instantly fatal attack to do damage. It's a simple pattern and not real challenging but you CANNOT mess up and that pressure keeps the horror intact. Add to that the low light of the encounter, the claustrophobic camera, the cacophonous audio track, and the lead up where you descend a nonsensical distance into the earth, and you get something that I'm not sure has ever been topped in terms of having an easy yet frightening boss fight.

Makes it all the more confusing that the rest of the bosses are just giant practice targets, too. How the hell did they fall off that hard?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really didn't like a lot of the writing.

I'm the tiger in space

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

My favorite thing about this dumb argument is al-azad claiming the elevator bit would be just as scary with no combat because you're getting rid of your radio without realising that no combat would make the radio completely pointless.

Conflict != combat
Conflict != combat
Conflict != combat

I'm out!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if people who make horror games hate Silent Hill 2 because that's all horror game fans talk about and compare things to.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

Conflict != combat
Conflict != combat
Conflict != combat

I'm out!

Okay so how exactly do you do conflict with no physical threat that isn't just chase scenes or dodging attacks until a door opens or sneaking around hitting switches, all of which can be done in a game with actual combat as a way to variate the gameplay?

Would we keep the nurses and patient demons and mannequins or should we cut out the parts where PH tortures the same monsters you've been killing viciously to reinforce the link between James and PH

Has anyone ever actually gone "I'm out!" on the internet and not sounded either insincere or ridiculous?

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 26, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh shut up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

oh shut up

Seriously this debate has gone on entirely too long. You both like different things can we just agree to disagree?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bogart posted:

oh shut up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think I'm coming around on RE7. Marguerite and the old house solidified how amazing the sound design and atmosphere of this game is and her boss fight downplays what I don't like (lousy combat) while turning it into a cat-and-mouse game where spurts of tension are sandwiched between moments of calm as you follow the sounds of her giving birth. Jack's portion was really underwhelming with its boring environment and lumbering enemies you're not really equipped to handle and I think it should've been moved to the second third instead of the first. Marguerite was great atmosphere, great sound design, and my favorite visual design since Mendez.

And I need to remember to block, god drat. You move so slowly, and the levels are so claustrophobic that I feel like getting hit is an inevitability. But enemies give a long pause after they slap you and it's obvious they balanced the game around baiting attacks, minimizing the damage, then unloading point blank.

edit: I take it back, the gunplay is pretty good and fights are spaced out far enough to make every encounter special. I just really had a bad experience with the molded. You have nothing going into that part of the game and the molded are like RE zombies except they can open doors and aren't nearly as clumsy and avoidable as RE zombies. It felt like what it would be encountering a regenerator in the first hour of RE4.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 27, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Yes, block everything. Like, everything regardless of how much sense it makes to do so because it is always an extremely effective way to prolong the fine art of living.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Blocking was probably my favorite control addition to RE7, the fact it was ultra useful made it even cooler; Realizing it worked with anything afaik was a big deal

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like some of the scariest stuff is the stuff you can potentially miss.

Are there any good horror bits in games lately where the fear comes from realizing you were in danger and didn't even know it?

Quoting this from 2 pages back but Bloodborne exploits this pretty well with the Amygdalas that appear when you reach 30 insight/defeat a specific boss

"Wait a minute... these have been here all along ?" :stonk:

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Quoting this from 2 pages back but Bloodborne exploits this pretty well with the Amygdalas that appear when you reach 30 insight/defeat a specific boss

"Wait a minute... these have been here all along ?" :stonk:

My favourite part of that is encountering the near-fatal attack only happens if you go for a crappy shiny item. You just dismiss it as being a one off trap spell or something similar, at least until later.

I'd be interested in more examples as well, I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head. Anytime you're being watched without being aware of it until you find the camera/peephole is creepy but that's normally more of a narrative threat than a gameplay one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The giant eye that can open below you at random in Sunless Sea scared the poo poo out of me