Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm going to go dig out some magic markers, erase a border of a card, and then replicate this border. Look at the color indicators besides the art - it literally looks like a kid coloring in with marker. The black at the top sides of the text box looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Expeditions looked bad. Inventions looked cool. These are terrible. Fingers crossed for Atlazan?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
holy poo poo lmao

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GonSmithe posted:

Holy poo poo those are comically loving hideous

The worst part is that every design decision involved in them is awful.

Unreadable font
Centered-caps lock text
Random nonsense symbols around the types/names
Tiny art
Stacked P/T
Sepia Tone Mana symbols.
The frame itself looks like random loving blocks of color

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just....gently caress. These would have been passable if they left out the fake heiroglyphics and tightened up the font so an N doesn't look like an R.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

I will say this: this command is exceedingly cryptic.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Looks like there's 54 of them. It's a shame they're so ugly, because they've picked good choices for lottery cards.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

MICRYPTICCOMMANDI?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

The worst part is that every design decision involved in them is awful.

Unreadable font
Centered-caps lock text
Random nonsense symbols around the types/names
Tiny art
Stacked P/T
Sepia Tone Mana symbols.
The frame itself looks like random loving blocks of color

Also the frame really clashes with the art for me (more so than just obstructing it). Their realistic art style really doesn't work well with these.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Should have been actual YuGiOh cards imo

also as much as the thread bitches about the modern frame being too sterile, things like this just make me appreciate the effort that went into readability

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having trouble comprehending the decision process that leads to these. The dislike has got to be universal. GL trying to sell your set on the chance of opening one of these...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I kind of like most of this, but the actual font on the card's text just seems awful to me. It's so blocky it really detracts from any kind of mystical feel they were going for.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah after considering them again I'm gonna strongly bet on these being an accidentally leaked April Fools joke.

That said, assuming the actual cards being masterworked are real, what is the theme here, exactly? We have

Wrath of God
Cryptic Command
Counterbalance
Chain Lightning
Counterspell

so it's not instant/sorceries since we have an enchantment, and it's not control cards because chain lightning. So it's just... cards that want a neat promo reprint?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Also the frame really clashes with the art for me (more so than just obstructing it). Their realistic art style really doesn't work well with these.

I would have literally preferred that they just have the art be colored hieroglyphics and get rid of all the seizure inducing elements around the cards.

Like if the art itself looked like:

and the frames around them didn't have so many random, contrasting elements.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 28, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I feel like you could pick a custom MSE template at random and probably hit something less terrible.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was shown wrath and counterspell on thursday and figured it was all sorceries but man i dont know what the rounding theme here could be. they look cool though

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Not even Tumblr MtG folks are defending these.

And they actually like the story.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah after considering them again I'm gonna strongly bet on these being an accidentally leaked April Fools joke.

That said, assuming the actual cards being masterworked are real, what is the theme here, exactly? We have

Wrath of God
Cryptic Command
Counterbalance
Chain Lightning
Counterspell

so it's not instant/sorceries since we have an enchantment, and it's not control cards because chain lightning. So it's just... cards that want a neat promo reprint?

aven mindcensor is there too, its "cards we pulled out a hat"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quoting 2nd time, but look at this potboiler cg crap. These are supposed to be desirable collectors' items.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Quoting 2nd time, but look at this potboiler cg crap. These are supposed to be desirable collectors' items.

Like I said earlier, I think the decision to use standard MTG art in these frames exacerbated the problem of making these look like an 18 year old went crazy with MS Paint.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cryptic Command CRYPTICCOMMAND?!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

All of the Masterpieces in Kaladesh were cards that fit flavorfully, for instance we had Vedalken Shackles and also Vedalken, which makes me think that Aven are going to be on Amonkhet and also they make some amount of sense in an Egypt themed set.

Also yeah they're hideous and it's funny to me that there's still no normal bordered Aven Mindcensor

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

They look so bad they have to have something goofy to them like a 3d effect or something on the card.

These look like frames from a 1998 computer game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The vertical power and toughness is unforgiveable. I did not notice it at first, but when Angry Grimace pointed it out, I looked and had to remember whether Consecrated Sphinx was a 4/6 or a 6/4.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Video of Cryptic Command

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

holy poo poo it looks even worse than i imagined

look at the top bar, it's like the card is miscut and there's just some foily poo poo at the top

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This is incredible.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'll be loving damned if Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker isn't one of these.

Also, it'll be better than all of them because it'll be fuller art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

aven mindcensor is there too, its "cards we pulled out a hat"

Basically anything that seemed like it could be Eygptian flavored.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

All of the Masterpieces in Kaladesh were cards that fit flavorfully, for instance we had Vedalken Shackles and also Vedalken, which makes me think that Aven are going to be on Amonkhet and also they make some amount of sense in an Egypt themed set.

Also yeah they're hideous and it's funny to me that there's still no normal bordered Aven Mindcensor

We've seen Aven in art from a few of the spoiled PW deck cards.

Also yeah, you'd think Mindcensor is a card that would have gotten a reprint in one of the masters sets huh?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rinkles posted:

This is what's bothering me the most right now.

There's probably a way to do fake ancient egypt that's doesn't make me grit my teeth, but it doesn't look like this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

It's not impossible that Aven Mindcensor is in Amonkhet. It isn't a particularly overpowered card for Standard, much less this one.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The art for Wrath of God is pretty sweet...when not on that card

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically anything that seemed like it could be Eygptian flavored.

is chain lightning really particularly egyptian tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The font is so unreadable that for a a good 10-15 seconds I thought the gimmick was that they were printing them in egyptian

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

is chain lightning really particularly egyptian tho

I mean, if you have it striking Egyptian looking things!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

dragon enthusiast posted:

Should have been actual YuGiOh cards imo

also as much as the thread bitches about the modern frame being too sterile, things like this just make me appreciate the effort that went into readability

Yeah for all the poo poo WotC (deservedly) gets, they are usually on top of templating, graphic design, aesthetics in general. Though old frame best frame of course still.

Maybe they had Urza design them?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

pr0digal posted:

The art for Wrath of God is pretty sweet...when not on that card

I think this is the biggest problem with these. The font is bad too I guess

Well and a lot of other things.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Man y'all are a bunch of sticks in the mud. This whole thing is hilarious to me and I can't articulate why. I can't decide if I want these to be real or fake.

Rinkles posted:

These are supposed to be desirable collectors' items.

I really hope the prices on them drop to below regular printings, it would be incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Not even Tumblr MtG folks are defending these.

And they actually like the story.

An amendment: I'm hearing some people love them. :wtc:

• Locked thread