Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'll probably get a knight as my first superheavy though because I'm more likely to use it with marines and it's inexplicably $60 less than a bane blade for a plastic one.

I just want to live the dream of ogryns pouring out of a gorgon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you go traitor you can run a Dark Compliance army and put ogryns in a Spartan

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

If you go traitor you can run a Dark Compliance army and put ogryns in a Spartan

Go on.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

:frogon:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Traitors have a unique FOC called the Army of Dark Compliance. In the fluff this represents traitor expeditionary fleets that have been turned around and tasked with bringing loyalist worlds into “dark compliance” for the Warmaster. This is especially appropriate for the legions who were doing this sort of thing during the shadow wars like the Death Guard, Iron Warriors, SoH, etc.

An army of dark compliance lets you take any legion and militia choice as part of the same detachment. In 30k, even battle bros can’t ride in each other’s transports, so this is the only way to make that happen. Since both armies are part of the same detachment you get a unified warlord trait creating a number of interesting combos. Because allies are also llowed, it’s also the only way to have a legal army that consists of Admech, Legions, and SA. Other benefits include the option of making any militia unit “expendable” which means it gives away no victory points, but can’t score. This applies to everything, so you can have expendable militia stormhammers if you like :v: Another fun fluffy option is that when your opponent shoots through a militia infantry unit, you can inflict D3 AP- hits into it in exchange for giving somebody standing behind the infantry unit a +1 to their cover save. Meat shields are fluffy and are a comical way of reducing the AP of incoming fire.

Sounds cool, right? So what’s the catch? You must have two warlords from each army, more militia units than space marine units, you can’t take a ROW, and because of how the militia list is worded you can’t take some of the super powerful combos that require a single militia warlord. It’s a really cool army imo with some strong combos, but it’s not particularly weak or game breakingly good. One day when all my militia are done I might give it try for funzies.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Please stop me from making death guard with nurgled up Ogryn.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cool, now I have four 30k armies I want to do beyond the one I'm already failing to complete.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welcome the 30k, sucker, enjoy your unpainted mountain of resin

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

Welcome the 30k, sucker, enjoy your unpainted mountain of resin

All my current iron hands models are going to be painted before I buy anything from another faction

Except for a knight, I'll probably get one of those

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

chutche2 posted:

All my current iron hands models are going to be painted before I buy anything from another faction

hahahaha

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

chutche2 posted:

*chortles darkly*

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

chutche2 posted:

You believe that enough to :toxx:?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The oath thread has helped me a lot actually. I've painted so much loving warmachine these last 6 months. Time to get to work on this stuff.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
We're not really mocking you. You're a mirror for ourselves a little while back.

Should we start posting pictures of our backlogs. Guys? :unsmith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

No. :shepicide:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TTerrible posted:

We're not really mocking you. You're a mirror for ourselves a little while back.

:gbsmith:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I can understand 40k because no one gives a poo poo and it's 50% proxies anyway, but why play 30k unpainted?

It'd be like playing one of those super groggy napoleon wargames unpainted.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Arven posted:

Somebody please talk me out of building a tactical support squad with rotor cannons. They look so bad rear end but are so bad.

I'm a sucker for trap units. Like my recon marines in scout armor.

Play Blood Angels and play them as an assault cannon heavy support squad. Yes, that's a thing. Yes, the brrrrrttt intensifies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Play Blood Angels and play them as an assault cannon heavy support squad. Yes, that's a thing. Yes, the brrrrrttt intensifies.
Enjoy rolling each one separately to see if they jam off of some miniscule chance.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

chutche2 posted:

I can understand 40k because no one gives a poo poo and it's 50% proxies anyway, but why play 30k unpainted?

Yes I 100% agree. If you field unpainted poo poo you should be executed imo. What are your opinions on this BULBASUAR??

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

YEAH BULBASAUR

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
For actual content, I got another project finally done:

The Knight I've had painted for ages, already, but this is the first photo I took of it. The Myrmidons, however, I just finished a couple of days back. They were surprisingly fun to paint, too.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I have learned that gorgons are not assault transports, and in fact militia don't have any assault transports. My dreams are crushed.

Guess it'd have to be dark compliance, but with dark compliance I don't get any commissars and so everyone will run away at the drop of a hat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have 2 fire raptors, 2 storm eagles, a knight lancer and a 50% complete Thunderhawk under my bed while my EC run around the table on foot because I haven't been hosed building them fire support and transport :negative:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think if I had infinite time and money I would do Abuhmans + Survivors of a Dark Age and make a squat list using those new steampunk dwarves.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

chutche2 posted:

in fact militia don't have any assault transports.

Stormhammers yo

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
As of yesterday I've got 1554 out of 3000 points fully painted with another ~350 in the pipeline :whip:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

My army is Dark Cumpliance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

adamantium|wang posted:

As of yesterday I've got 1554 out of 3000 points fully painted with another ~350 in the pipeline :whip:

I have 5000pts, most of it is in boxes. None of it is painted. I've got like 60 assembled marines/palatines, 10 kakophani and 10 phoenix terminators though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TTerrible posted:

You can find everything in your backlog? Lucky man. I've got like 3 big boxes of random minis I'm pretty sure are under geological layers of delayed commissions and half-finished terrain.

...I don't even play Warhammer, I only play skirmish games.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 29, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

So I have learned that gorgons are not assault transports, and in fact militia don't have any assault transports. My dreams are crushed.

Guess it'd have to be dark compliance, but with dark compliance I don't get any commissars and so everyone will run away at the drop of a hat.

You can attach Legion ICs to your militia squads with Dark Compliance and they benefit from things like command squad banners. You also have access to discipline masters.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

You can attach Legion ICs to your militia squads with Dark Compliance and they benefit from things like command squad banners. You also have access to discipline masters.

Hey what do you think about being only allowed to play with painted models? Asking for a fried.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Can't take discipline masters in dark compliance.

Militia have provenances that are better than discipline masters anyway. Alchem-jackers means your infantry blobs are never going anywhere!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm pretty sure dark compliance can't take a discipline cadre, right?

But yeah, if I ever sat down and decided to do a dark compliance list, I think it'd be with alchem jackers and survivors of a dark age. Not sure what legion to use them with. Death guard is tempting, but maybe iron warriors. Grenadiers with lasrifles and rotor cannons with the +1 str upgrade.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 29, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Play army of dark compliance. Use 300 fearless and rending cultists. And a typhon. :pcgaming:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Now imagine if you were the guy who got three other friends into this game, 2 to 3 years earlier, and still only have 20 models painted.

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=222

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's shameful. It makes me so mad, why, I might just throw everything against the wall and start a space wolves army.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

It's shameful. It makes me so mad, why, I might just throw everything against the wall and start a space wolves army.

Taking the 30K route now. Slowly building up my Grey Slayers (oh what an awesome name for Space wolves tacticals) for my compulsory troops. Fortunately, 40K bare heads from Grey Hunter sprues still look great in Mk3 armour.

Thanks for advice to take off for a while before coming back. If I'm true Vlka fenryka, I will. time will tell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of painted armies, here's a recap of the stuff at Adepticon last week:

http://www.petehappens.com/2017/03/30k-armies-of-adepticon-2017.html

http://www.petehappens.com/2017/03/raven-guard-30k-falcons-part-5.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ugh almost everyone is playing marines what about a diverse meta sometime, FW?!