Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Speaking of Lagavulin, the 16 is my favorite scotch that I can potentially afford. Saw Lagavulin 8 in the store today at $50. Anyone have any experience with that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordavind
Mar 25, 2008
It's a whole lot of smoke and wood, and not much else. It's not a bad whisky, but it's kind of plain compared to it's 12 and 16 year old brothers. Absolutely worth buying if you are a fan of lagavulin, but I'd say it's their weakest offering.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

nordavind posted:

It's a whole lot of smoke and wood, and not much else. It's not a bad whisky, but it's kind of plain compared to it's 12 and 16 year old brothers. Absolutely worth buying if you are a fan of lagavulin, but I'd say it's their weakest offering.

This is all true, but I bet the 8 will be better than the NAS that Diageo will foist on us in the upcoming 18 months.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't remind me :(

I mean, I like Talisker 57° North and Laphroaig Quarter Cask and a couple of other NAS bottlings, but in general it's just a plot to sell young whisky at older whisky prices. I wish they would just put the age statement on there, I don't care if it says "3 years" or whatever.

And while I'm dreaming, ditch the E150 coloring and chill filtering, and up the ABV to at least 46% across the line.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't remind me :(

I mean, I like Talisker 57° North and Laphroaig Quarter Cask and a couple of other NAS bottlings, but in general it's just a plot to sell young whisky at older whisky prices. I wish they would just put the age statement on there, I don't care if it says "3 years" or whatever.

And while I'm dreaming, ditch the E150 coloring and chill filtering, and up the ABV to at least 46% across the line.

So the industry says it's nothing of the sort! Apparently it's "..a move from age based expressions to flavour based expressions."
Anyone outside of the US that has seen the Glenlivet 12 replaced with the Glenlivet Founders Reserve might wonder if moving to a "flavour based expressions" is such a good idea when it tastes like pish.

biglads fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 24, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My usual bourbon is Buffalo Trace but I want to try something different. Price up to like $30. Suggestions?

e: Haven't really had a ton of different bourbons so it doesn't need to be obscure or anything, just a good change of pace from BT>

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 24, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sean10mm posted:

My usual bourbon is Buffalo Trace but I want to try something different. Price up to like $30. Suggestions?

e: Haven't really had a ton of different bourbons so it doesn't need to be obscure or anything, just a good change of pace from BT>

At that range, Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, Eagle Rare, or Old Grandad are pretty decent and my go-to choices depending on what's on sale, and what I spot first walking in.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
4 roses small batch
Wild turkey 101
Knob Creek 9 year
Elijah Craig small batch
1792 small batch

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thaddius the Large posted:

At that range, Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, Eagle Rare, or Old Grandad are pretty decent and my go-to choices depending on what's on sale, and what I spot first walking in.

old granddad bottled in bond is my current 'great deal' whiskey.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

biglads posted:

So the industry says it's nothing of the sort! Apparently it's "..a move from age based expressions to flavour based expressions."
Anyone outside of the US that has seen the Glenlivet 12 replaced with the Glenlivet Founders Reserve might wonder if moving to a "flavour based expressions" is such a good idea when it tastes like pish.

That explains why I can never find Macallan 12 (not that I'm looking for it specifically), and keep finding Gold and Amber and whatever else they got.

No_talent posted:

I have't tried it yet. It's on the list of things to pick up. Looking for it in the liquor stores here in Western Canada so far has been futile. Not sure if it's an Eastern/Export bottle, but the LCBO has it listed. I've got a big backlog of unopened bottles that I need to go through anyways.

Have you been able to find the CC Sherry Cask? I'd like to reevaluate it, but the LCBO's website gives nothing for it, and I can never find a bottle anyway. GIS tells me they're using the same label and bottle as their 12 year old, but I got nothing else to go on.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

Have you been able to find the CC Sherry Cask? I'd like to reevaluate it, but the LCBO's website gives nothing for it, and I can never find a bottle anyway. GIS tells me they're using the same label and bottle as their 12 year old, but I got nothing else to go on.

Sherry cask and 12yr is all over the place out here. They all use a similar label, the "CC Reserve" one. Even the SAQ has it listed. At a glance I can't find it anywhere in Ont either. Maybe it's an export only? I'll trade you a sherry cask for a 9 yr.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I like Canadian Club just fine, but I was given the impression that it was just grain alcohol with caramel color and flavor and that there is roughly zero regulation on what constitutes a Canadian whiskey. Is any of that true? Are there actual standard for what can be designated Canadian Whiskey? What about CC in particular?

I'm really interested to hear you all speak so fondly about it since most of the whiskey snobs I know say "that's not even whiskey, it doesn't count" or something to that affect. I'd like to try some of the varieties you guys have mentioned and I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, but I have to admit I'd be pretty hesitant to spend $60 on a bottle of CC's, even if it is 20 years aged.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Inspector 34 posted:

I like Canadian Club just fine, but I was given the impression that it was just grain alcohol with caramel color and flavor and that there is roughly zero regulation on what constitutes a Canadian whiskey. Is any of that true? Are there actual standard for what can be designated Canadian Whiskey? What about CC in particular?

I'm really interested to hear you all speak so fondly about it since most of the whiskey snobs I know say "that's not even whiskey, it doesn't count" or something to that affect. I'd like to try some of the varieties you guys have mentioned and I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, but I have to admit I'd be pretty hesitant to spend $60 on a bottle of CC's, even if it is 20 years aged.

quote:

B.02.020 [S]. (1) Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky or Rye Whisky

(a) shall

(i) be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms,

(ii) be aged in small wood for not less than three years,

(iii) possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky,

(iv) be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the Excise Act and the regulations made thereunder,

(v) be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, and

(vi) contain not less than 40 per cent alcohol by volume; and

(b) may contain caramel and flavouring.

Basically, in Canada you can do whatever the hell you want, which leads to some interesting stuff like Alberta Rye Dark Batch, which is 91% rye, 8% bourbon, and 1% sherry blended together.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

The laughably loose regs have led to alot or people generally making GBS threads on canadian whiskey in general. But a number of producers don't cut their aged whiskey with garbage. It's a minefield, especially since they usually don't list what's been blended (coloring, grain spirit...).

Canadian whiskey has been flying under rhe radar for years because of the lack of and real regs other the 3 yrs old and 40%. For a time it was all just back flavored grain alcohol. Now we're starting to see single malts, single grains, specialty casks and stuff pop up all over. There was a huge shift in production mindset, and even the massive distillers started making 'clean' (or cleaner) specialties to their core brands. That Crown Royal that won that award a while back and everyone went apeshit over for like 3 months? 90% rye blended with other spirits. No one really seemed to notice and Canadian whiskey keeps getting ignored. Good. That means I don't have to worry about hype pricing or supply getting all weird. Maybe these snobs have been ignoring what's been happening out here for so long they missed the change. Perhaps they don't want to find something thats not hype to damage their investments, maybey the take it personally that another country makes good whiskey as well?I dunno, but it's really up to whoevers drinking it to decide if the like it.

I mean it's one thing to not want coloring and flavoring added, but ignoring an entire nations production portfolio because are allowed to blend with whatever is taking the snobbery to grand heights. Scotches can also have color added, but not all of them do. Just because producers are allowed to do something, doesn't mean they all do.

As far as dropping $60 on a 20 year CC.... Bourbon like Buffalo Trace is $50 here. So yeah. I'm willing to risk $10.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 25, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

No_talent posted:

The laughably loose regs have led to alot or people generally making GBS threads on canadian whiskey in general. But a number of producers don't cut their aged whiskey with garbage. It's a minefield, especially since they usually don't list what's been blended (coloring, grain spirit...).

Canadian whiskey has been flying under rhe radar for years because of the lack of and real regs other the 3 yrs old and 40%. For a time it was all just back flavored grain alcohol. Now we're starting to see single malts, single grains, specialty casks and stuff pop up all over. There was a huge shift in production mindset, and even the massive distillers started making 'clean' (or cleaner) specialties to their core brands. That Crown Royal that won that award a while back and everyone went apeshit over for like 3 months? 90% rye blended with other spirits. No one really seemed to notice and Canadian whiskey keeps getting ignored. Good. That means I don't have to worry about hype pricing or supply getting all weird. Maybe these snobs have been ignoring what's been happening out here for so long they missed the change. Perhaps they don't want to find something thats not hype to damage their investments, maybey the take it personally that another country makes good whiskey as well?I dunno, but it's really up to whoevers drinking it to decide if the like it.

As far as dropping $60 on a 20 year CC.... Bourbon like Buffalo Trace is $50 here. So yeah. I'm willing to risk $10.

Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by a number of non-bottom shelf whiskies. Even Wiser's is good once you hit Small Batch. I like bourbon too, but I've become accustomed to the spice and richness of ryes so I always prefer them now.

Edit:

No_talent posted:

Sherry cask and 12yr is all over the place out here. They all use a similar label, the "CC Reserve" one. Even the SAQ has it listed. At a glance I can't find it anywhere in Ont either. Maybe it's an export only? I'll trade you a sherry cask for a 9 yr.

I knew there was a reason I need to roadtrip out to Quebec!

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 25, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I picked up a some WT101 (along with Elijah Craig 12, Sazerac and some EW Single Barrel) on a business trip this weekend. The WT is way better than I remember from trying it a few years ago. Never tried the EC12 or Sazerac but I'm preemptively calling this a win overall.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenny Logins posted:

I picked up a some WT101 (along with Elijah Craig 12, Sazerac and some EW Single Barrel) on a business trip this weekend. The WT is way better than I remember from trying it a few years ago. Never tried the EC12 or Sazerac but I'm preemptively calling this a win overall.

EC12 and sazerac are both good. Not sure if the sazerac is worth the price difference with Rittenhouse... But it's still good.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

2DCAT posted:

EC12 and sazerac are both good. Not sure if the sazerac is worth the price difference with Rittenhouse... But it's still good.
I was previously a huge fan of Rittenhouse but my province stopped carrying it last year... the only upside was that they cleared it out and I bought a dozen bottles at nearly half price.

I miss it, so tasty.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

You were lucky to find EC12, it's been discontinued for some time and replaced with NAS bottles.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've never been able to find Sazerac, not in three different major cities. Where is it distributed?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OK, so at this point I'm trying to decide between Wild Turkey 101 and Four Roses Small Batch. Any thoughts? :iiam:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Buy one now, the other next time. Unless you're buying it as your final act on Earth, in which case just rob the place and get something really expensive.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

Buy one now, the other next time. Unless you're buying it as your final act on Earth, in which case just rob the place and get something really expensive.

I mean yeah, worst case I flip a coin and still have a fifth of bourbon regardless. :v:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've never been able to find Sazerac, not in three different major cities. Where is it distributed?

It's distributed pretty much everywhere, but often sells out due to the hype. I find it on the shelf for $30 in the Bay all the time.

quote:

OK, so at this point I'm trying to decide between Wild Turkey 101 and Four Roses Small Batch. Any thoughts?

If you take value into account I think WT101 is a better buy.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Russel's Reserve (WT with age statement yay!) is amazingly cheap for what it is, IMO. My go-to sipping bourbon.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think Canadian Club is the worst whiskey I've ever tasted

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

For me it's Black Velvet.

I still have the bottle, it sat relatively untouched since I got it as a gift, in 2012.

I should just pour it down the drain.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I hate Crown Royal. Go eat a buffet of dicks, Canadian whiskey.

I know not all Canadian booze is poo poo

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Canadian Mist :barf:

The last time I got to see my grandma before she died she made me a CC on the rocks with a twist, so besides it being a decent glass IMO, it also reminds me of her.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sean10mm posted:

I hate Crown Royal. Go eat a buffet of dicks, Canadian whiskey.

I know not all Canadian booze is poo poo

Well, what do you expect from a free whiskey included with every dice bag purchase?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Make pork marinade with your bad whiskey?

Or infusions?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Or just mix it with coke or ginger ale, which is the true Canadian way.

:canada:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Missing Name posted:

Make pork marinade with your bad whiskey?

Bourbon is a good marinade especially for pork. I like EW 1783 because it's sweet, delicious, and fairly inexpensive. Don't use crappy whiskey unless you want crappy tasting meat. -trust me

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

I once mixed a Glenlivet 15 minature with gravy for a BBQ smoked chicken I cooked. Was amazing, and I'm not a fan of GL normally.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
We've grown fond of bourbon in the past few years, and my wife is in Louisville, KY for another day, any suggestions for must-have bottles to bring home? Not limited to just bourbon, any local brown liquor worth experiencing is welcome!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There aren't that many distilleries in Louisville proper, compared to other parts of KY. Bulleit is there, and the black label, which I think is only available at the distillery, is worth trying.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

We've grown fond of bourbon in the past few years, and my wife is in Louisville, KY for another day, any suggestions for must-have bottles to bring home? Not limited to just bourbon, any local brown liquor worth experiencing is welcome!

I think the Heaven Hill 6 year bottled-in-bond is Kentucky only. Apparently costs only ~$10 and supposedly beats the hell out of anything in the sub-$20 price range.

Haven't tried it myself, though.

Looks like this:

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 1, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

sirbeefalot posted:

Buy all the BiBs... JTS Brown, Heaven Hill, Old Fitz etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought there was a tequila or general booze thread but I couldn't find it. I'm looking for a few modest tequila recommendations around or under $30. I don't drink tequila often and never know what to get so I always end up with 1800.