Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

pr0digal posted:

The art for Wrath of God is pretty sweet...when not on that card

Nylea must be pissed at that sand dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
These would actually look pretty cool if the art was like, in the style of an egyptian wall relief or something. It would thematically fit with the frame, and really say "here's something cool and different".

Instead we get badly-posed 3d models with plastic skin and a red line drawn over them.

E: some of the art is actually really cool, but still doesn't fit with the frame. Which is almost worse because now they're wasting cool art.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

The font is so unreadable that for a a good 10-15 seconds I thought the gimmick was that they were printing them in egyptian

They did this (sort of) for the prerelease promos in Invasion and Odyssey blocks!

http://magiccards.info/query?q=e%3Aptc&v=card&s=issue

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mandatory lesbian posted:

is chain lightning really particularly egyptian tho

It's as Egyptian as Cryptic Command, Counterspell, and Maelstrom Pulse are.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

is chain lightning really particularly egyptian tho

I would call it biblical

Alot of this set looks like late 90s pc adventure games, in a bad way. Are they just having the same budget for cards but having to do 50 more?

These are ugly as sin, but if that means I can get cheap good cards I'm happy

Although this could also mean the end of masterpieces because these suck so much

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

Man y'all are a bunch of sticks in the mud. This whole thing is hilarious to me and I can't articulate why. I can't decide if I want these to be real or fake.

I hope they don't refrain from trying out entirely new frames because of the negative reaction. The fault here is with the particulars of the design, not its radical natural. Don't take away the wrong lesson from this, Wotc.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

They did this (sort of) for the prerelease promos in Invasion and Odyssey blocks!

http://magiccards.info/query?q=e%3Aptc&v=card&s=issue

They look pretty drat cool, tbh. There's also the judge promo Phyrexian Elesh Norn.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Concept: 8.5/10
Execution: 0/10

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

It's as Egyptian as Cryptic Command, Counterspell, and Maelstrom Pulse are.

i wasn't giving an exhaustive list, but fwiw the egyptians were big on judgement so counterspell and command work in that context

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

I hope they don't refrain from trying out entirely new frames because of the negative reaction. The fault here is with the particulars of the design, not its radical natural. Don't take away the wrong lesson from this, Wotc.

Exactly! These are bonus cards that the vast majority of the playerbase will never own, have some fun with them and do something weird. But maybe workshop it a little more next time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

I don't understand how within the entire art department, nobody said "hey wait these don't look good, cool and they interfere with playability" and then the art department went to their bosses and said, "here's the best we got!" and their bosses saw nothing wrong with these frames and gave them the go ahead.

They're a fixable design, just like the Expeditions were a fixable design by just making the text box transparent. This looks like the design was picked at random and then not adjusted at all.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

In this gif it seems a little better

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846851133817569280

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

These cards are why Moses left

and Cleopatra killed herself.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, like, I think these cards look stupid but I'd absolutely rather they take opportunities like this even if they whiff dramatically. The good news is, being safe and dull is the province of a game that's doing well, so if Magic actually isn't...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Angry Grimace posted:

I would have literally preferred that they just have the art be colored hieroglyphics and get rid of all the seizure inducing elements around the cards.

Like if the art itself looked like:

and the frames around them didn't have so many random, contrasting elements.

See, that would have been inspired.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
These are impressively bad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

These would actually look pretty cool if the art was like, in the style of an egyptian wall relief or something. It would thematically fit with the frame, and really say "here's something cool and different".

Instead we get badly-posed 3d models with plastic skin and a red line drawn over them.

E: some of the art is actually really cool, but still doesn't fit with the frame. Which is almost worse because now they're wasting cool art.

Yea the attempt at an ancient aesthetic really clashes with the digital art containing prisms and lensflares.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I doubt these are actually tournament legal. They seem to fail all the tests.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Coverage guys are gonna HATE these.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

God drat. That's all I've got.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

They look pretty drat cool, tbh. There's also the judge promo Phyrexian Elesh Norn.

Yeah I miss the days of cool prerelease promos. idgaf about a date stamp on an otherwise normal card, at least throw me some alternative art.

I had the promo Kaldra equipment from when I did the Mirrodin prereleases back in day, they were pretty sweet lined up together.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Coverage guys are gonna HATE these.

Who would possibly use these?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I love the invocations, they're flavorful and cute, and if you all think they're poo poo sell em to me

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

End of Life Guy posted:

I love the invocations, they're flavorful and cute, and if you all think they're poo poo sell em to me

You're lying if you tell me you can identify what these are without having to read the rules text.

Thankfully the theme is "playable cards" so they're infamous rules text.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

End of Life Guy posted:

:same: I hope these end up cheaper than their respective regular printings.

This is probably the closest we've gotten to that one goon's dream of "goatse Goyfs".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

if I open a Consecrated Sphinx I am going to p1p1 that poo poo so hard

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I would if they're cheap. How they look doesn't enter into my decision. Matching art sort of does if I care about letting my opponent know how many of a card I have.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The more I think the more these should have looked like the Face the Hydra cards from the Born of the Gods game day.

http://magiccards.info/extra/hero/face-the-hydra/the-vanquisher.html

Larger picture box and evocative, relief-style art.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It looks a little better in that gif

The same thing happened with inventions, everybody thought they were poo poo till they saw one in person, then they were kinda sweet

These are definitely worse looking than inventions but I don't think they're, like, a travesty

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I actually like this style a lot.The 3D of the external frame is neat and the "unreadable hieroglyph" effect on the title is more a feature than a bug.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

cheetah7071 posted:

The font is so unreadable that for a a good 10-15 seconds I thought the gimmick was that they were printing them in egyptian

Honestly same

Oh my god

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sit on my Facebook posted:

The same thing happened with inventions, everybody thought they were poo poo
Not at all true.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bow, peasants, to my mighty crotch!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It does look a little better in the gif. But still putting random squiggly poo poo around an already hard to read and centred font was not a good idea.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Guy who got invited to PAX by WotC when they announced Kaladesh posted:

gently caress it, I like them. Give me any and all of them.

Yeah, it’s cheesy. I’d get a huge kick out of playing them in one of my decks though. I want to open these. I want to play these. I’d imagine a lot of the younger crowd would be ecstatic to own these.
There’s graphic design sins aplenty, but I’m not going to let that stand in the way of the fun and excitement of uniquely themed pieces for my collectible card game. I am gonna cast my gaudy god-pharaoh spells and no one’s gonna make me feel bad about that.

(Is it emptyquoting if it's not a SA quote?)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, I'm sure that when they printed Elesh Norn in loving phyrexian people complained that the card was unreadable, right?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Wow the text centering is really bothering me. Why not move the casting cost to the right border and the expansion symbol to the footer, so that the name/card type can be centered in both the card and the heiroglyph container?

Why did they take such great art and make it even smaller than on a normal card?

Everything about this makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Seems like Amonkhet doesn't skip Leg Day.

• Locked thread