Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah and ruins cooking. 5 of the same thing with the same buff will result in a tier 3 long length buff.

Not quite true, this works for some things but not others. For example, I got this to work with 5x Stealth Mushrooms, but 5x Stealth plants only gave me a 10m lv1 stealth boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

So does this thread have any opinions on micro sd cards or is it just a go, big and cheap thing?

It does matter if you plan on putting games on your microSD. Go for high read speeds. Samsungs EVO+/EVOselect have 80-90MB/s for an OK price at sizes 32/64/128

Here a quick list (for the german market):
https://www.computerbase.de/preisve...r#content_table

NormenKD fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ventana posted:

Not quite true, this works for some things but not others. For example, I got this to work with 5x Stealth Mushrooms, but 5x Stealth plants only gave me a 10m lv1 stealth boost.

To really ruin your cooking WARNING DONT READ IF YOU HAVE FUN COOKING cook 1 durian fruit by itself, alone, for full heal +4, you can farm them at a tower and by farm I mean walk around for 2 minutes and have 20, cook them one at a time and enjoy infinite full heals. Makes all meat and hunting obsolete. Buffs are still nice to have but with a fairy or 2 for oneshot protection you have effectivlety 100s of hearts.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

LeafyOrb posted:

So does this thread have any opinions on micro sd cards or is it just a go, big and cheap thing?

When it's in stock, this is a pretty good buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Select-Memory-MB-ME128DA-AM/dp/B01DOB6YW4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490736132&sr=8-5&keywords=128+evo

I for mine for $34 a few weeks ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NormenKD posted:

It does matter if you plan on putting games on your microSD. Go for high read speeds. Samsungs EVO+/EVOselect have 80-90MB/s for an OK price at sizes 32/64/128

Here a quick list (for the german market):
https://www.computerbase.de/preisve...r#content_table

Ummmm didn't that website compare load times and there was virtually no difference between a higher speed card and a standard card?

edit: Actually, the higher speed card was consistently slower than the standard card, albeit by milliseconds. Either way, don't waste your money on higher speed cards.

https://youtu.be/vbItTEmozxw

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 28, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's still an hour and a half until Snake Pass and I need it

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Ummmm didn't that website compare load times and there was virtually no difference between a higher speed card and a standard card?

edit: Actually, the higher speed card was consistently slower than the standard card, albeit by milliseconds. Either way, don't waste your money on higher speed cards.

https://youtu.be/vbItTEmozxw

Do you mean this? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

They tested an 80MB/s read vs 90MB/s read (Both UHS). If you get cheapo end-of-range models (basically non-UHS cards), this WILL affect you.

edit: same in your video

NormenKD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NormenKD posted:

Do you mean this? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

They tested an 80MB/s read vs 90MB/s read. If you get cheapo end-of-range models (basically non-UHS cards), this WILL affect you.

Yes. Basically, don't buy anything other than a UHS-1 card.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SNAKE PASS REVIEW Steam Version.

So after an hour of Snake Pass I... don't know if I would recommend it. The production quality is high, it feels like a Rare game in presentation and the soundtrack reminds me a bit of Diddy Kong Racing and The Lion King, it's good. Everything is bright and colorful and Noodle has some good expressions (which you can control with the D-pad). The gameplay is linear level progression and each level has stuff to collect 3 keys which are required to advance, 15~ blue orb things and 5 coins. I don't know what the latter two things do if you collect them other than just to be a completionist. After 8 levels I haven't run into enemies or hazards other than falling off the level.

My issue with the game is the controls, and I might just be bad at this game but Noodle is kinda hard to control. The default controls have you move forward with the right trigger, "grip" with the left and raise Noodle's head to go up (which is necessary to go up walls and posts). It feels like a juggling act trying to get him to do what you want him to, wrapping around posts, especially horizontal ones, can become really frustrating. I'm also using an Xbox One controller on PC and the analog triggers let you move Noodle slower which I find to be necessary, you really have to move him with finesse. I have no clue how you're going to do this with the Switch's lack of analog triggers.

I'm going to keep playing until the controls click but god drat, it feels like I'm playing with boxing gloves.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Any screenshots stored on the MicroSD card can be read by whatever PC you plug the card into, but the folder structure is YYYY/MM/dd and the files aren't labeled in a way that makes the folder easy to search. Going through these folders without knowing which day exactly you took the screenshot you're looking for is gonna get real old fast I bet. I was hoping the process would be easier than uploading to social media and then downloading from there.

The console is unhappy if you pull the SD card out while it's sleeping and throws up a prompt letting you know it's turning itself off. Popping a card in while the console is running triggers a similar restart prompt.

edit: also it seems like archiving and redownloading software is the only way to change whether a title is saved on the MicroSD card or the internal memory. Saves appear to be stored on the system memory by default, and downloaded titles will go to the SD card if one is installed.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 28, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

SNAKE PASS REVIEW Steam Version.

Thank for review, I didn't know that it used the analog triggers so I'm gonna grab it on steam.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So when is Snake Pass going to be available on the eshop?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

SilverSupernova posted:

So when is Snake Pass going to be available on the eshop?

Within the next hour, apparently
https://twitter.com/Snake_Pass/status/846775703232299013

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N22YAIP/

This arrived today with a broken zipper on the internal pouch. The product itself isn't bad, but I wasn't blown away. The overall messenger tote is nice and can hold everything very well. The strap is nice but unfortunately has cheap plastic clips that feel real shoddy. It was functional, and I guess once you attach the strap you wouldn't take it off. Still the clips could've been better for a $40 asking price. The inner pouch was very cheap feeling too. I never put the Switch in it cause I couldn't close it with the busted zipper. I was going to ask for a replacement because I felt like if it held the Switch ok, I'd ignore the other shortcomings. But the replacement was going to be back ordered till May. gently caress that, I took a refund and will send it back.

TLDR, don't buy, it's cheaply made and not worth $40.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Ugh, so the carts themselves are de facto the slowest loading medium on the Switch? The heck was even the point if they weren't going to be high performance? Hopefully cart loading at least rates higher than a Wii U disc drive.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

zenintrude posted:

Is this the goon approved case?

Found it at Target for $29

I bought this case and really like it. Fits pro Comp troller, dock, ac adapter, all the cables, and the joycons are still attached when it is inserted. Some people complain about RDS cases because they smell bad but mine must have been aired out because it doesn't really smell at all. If you don't need to bring the dock, get another case.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Ugh, so the carts themselves are de facto the slowest loading medium on the Switch? The heck was even the point if they weren't going to be high performance? Hopefully cart loading at least rates higher than a Wii U disc drive.

As far as I've noticed, they are much faster than the WiiU disc drive.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Someone posted an article where the difference is maybe a few seconds difference on a long download between mediums

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just got the good ending in Blaster Master Zero and man that's a fine game.

The final boss caught me off guard as it was something I wasn't expecting in a game like this and I loved it :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The difference between any of the storage was pretty minor and way better than disks

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
neo turf masters gets so hard on the back 9, ill never get a trophy at this rate :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

an actual dog posted:

Thank for review, I didn't know that it used the analog triggers so I'm gonna grab it on steam.

There's an "easy" mode for the controller on Steam where it removes the forward motion from the trigger and puts on the joystick along with steering Noodle, that has to be the default method of movement on the Switch version. It's easier, but controlling Noodle is still a pain.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Fetus posted:

The tick rate of the Splatoon Global Testfires were 12.5 Hz, half that of Splatoon 1.

https://twitter.com/octobyte_/status/845707555020124160

If you had lag problems before in Splatoon 1, they're gonna get worse when the game comes out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This 256GB Sandisk card is on sale today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IC0GJKE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_AOU2ybFP4HSD3

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

what are the odds the full game will be any better?

Because lol what the gently caress are you doing nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

To really ruin your cooking WARNING DONT READ IF YOU HAVE FUN COOKING cook 1 durian fruit by itself, alone, for full heal +4, you can farm them at a tower and by farm I mean walk around for 2 minutes and have 20, cook them one at a time and enjoy infinite full heals. Makes all meat and hunting obsolete. Buffs are still nice to have but with a fairy or 2 for oneshot protection you have effectivlety 100s of hearts.

I did this too. Found a spot where that showed up in groups of 20 every blood moon (Satoru Iwata Mountain pls understand) and just pretty much relied on just apples and that stuff for heals for the entire game. I'm glad this was a thing, because the cooking process was in dire need of being streamlined and I hated doing it by the halfway point.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this is out next week and i will be buying straight away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9QyThTpXo

also on the uk/europe eshop, Metal Slug the first is out next week too.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 29, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone know if you can get refunds on the eshop? i accidently bought KoF '94 instead of '98. i still bought 98 but want rid of 94 now. i also got this blastmaster and othello for some reason.

edit: nevermind, i just googled it. http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1981/~/refund-request-for-downloaded-game-or-dlc-(wrong-game,-didnt-like-game,

lol there goes that 6 quid. oh well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone know if you can get refunds on the eshop? i accidently bought KoF '94 instead of '98. i still bought 98 but want rid of 94 now. i also got this blastmaster and othello for some reason.

edit: nevermind, i just googled it. http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1981/~/refund-request-for-downloaded-game-or-dlc-(wrong-game,-didnt-like-game,

lol there goes that 6 quid. oh well.

My friend called and bitched a bunch about getting a refund for Monster Hunter on Wii U a few years ago and Nintendo gave him one.:laugh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you live in Europe, they are required to give you a refund. I wish we had that kind of legislation in the US.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I did some home brew engineering bullshit tonight and thought you all might find it interesting. I built a convertible joycon grip to further increase the various ways to play poo poo.

Basically, go buy a pack of these for 4 bucks from Home Depot, and some superglue.

Take apart the joycon grip with a triwing and Phillips screwdriver and glue one magnet inside around these spots:

Put your poo poo back together and enjoy the 6 extra screws that will probably end up stabbing you in the foot from your carpet when you least expect it, and now you can do this.

Holds strong, and makes the grip a bit easier to transport in a carrying case or something to boot. I like the non-handles for poo poo like Isaac, and the handles for poo poo like Zelda, but I don't entirely know why. Figured why not both.

EDIT: Note this won't work with the charge grip. I'm sure there's some way to ghetto rig it together, but I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Why do we care about the tick rate of Splatoon on the test weekend of the first month of the switch where no other games have online service currently?

Right now some cool games in beta stages have poo poo lag (i.e. Battlegrounds) but that'll change.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

what are the odds the full game will be any better?

Because lol what the gently caress are you doing nintendo.

The test fire was so much better about not trading splats, moving me into fire via bad prediction, or (de)accelerated hits fromon me in 3 hours than 300+ hours of the original I can't say I find this news really something to worry about. I've gotten so used to having to play extra hard against japanese players the difference in this version is staggering.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I played it via phone hotspot and there wasn't any noticeable lag

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why do we care about the tick rate of Splatoon on the test weekend of the first month of the switch where no other games have online service currently?

Right now some cool games in beta stages have poo poo lag (i.e. Battlegrounds) but that'll change.

There are a few online multiplayer games like Bomberman and Fast Racing RMX.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I'm confused I thought everyone was saying how much smoother poo poo was in the Splatoon 2 testfire then the first game was. Now that someone put something out about tickrate it's was retroactively playing bad?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah I'm confused I thought everyone was saying how much smoother poo poo was in the Splatoon 2 testfire then the first game was. Now that someone put something out about tickrate it's was retroactively playing bad?

There, see? You do get it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A good handful of people had it just fine. Others not so much.

At one point I just stopped playing because the lag was getting frustrating and I kept getting hit with weird "DNS Cannot be found" messages that you have to reset the entire system to fix. It's uh, weird?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ticks are actually bad. A lower tickrate is preferable. The guy who posted the graph didn't understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also like 50-60% of matches (if not more) were just 3 v 4's. Even in videos I've seen of others playing they wind up in 3v4's more then just full games.

• Locked thread