Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what else do you expect them to do? it's too dangerous to try to put out the fire yourself if you're not trained

I mean I was there watching to, and then the police told us to back up because the silo might explode, and then we did, and then it did explode and we just hung out in the adjacent park watching it burn for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what else do you expect them to do? it's too dangerous to try to put out the fire yourself if you're not trained

Don't grain silo fires have a tendency to violently explode, too?

e: yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

e2:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Surprised I haven't seen this one yet:

*drives an old golf cart or riding mower to the local bar because I know I'm going to get absolutely shitfaced. Again.*

My former next door neighbor no poo poo got 4 DUIs on garden equipment in 9 months

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

My former next door neighbor no poo poo got 4 DUIs on garden equipment in 9 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBM48uF35ms

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like it or not small-town farmers are being dragged into the digital age: Desperate John Deere tractor owners are downloading illegal Ukrainian firmware hacks to get the crops in

tl:dr: John Deere made it so if you replace a part on one of their tractors you have to pay one of their people to come to you and plug a thumbdrive into your tractor's USB port to "authorize" the part you just swapped in

e: welcome to the darknet, are you looking for drugs, stolen credit cards, or farm equipment firmware updates, we got it all!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

*is renting out a fifth wheel that was sunk into concrete and hooked up to power/water*

*using Wi-Fi antenna to steal library internet while not in library*

*spends weekend drinking beer in boxers while watching scizho old lady in trailor across the way rant at her potted plants*

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Why wait for a fire when you can entertain your friends and free yourself from the tyrrany of existence for the low low price of one hammer

https://youtu.be/KVCn7qFvcZo

https://youtu.be/kn5bNDI1FGs

https://youtu.be/EzKvwYt3Zyg

https://youtu.be/XHC8GFWpchA

https://youtu.be/e45jivkXNLM

https://youtu.be/iG8hHTCaHjI

https://youtu.be/sdv_HjuCtiM

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had a bit of a small-town moment when the guy who moved in next door last week asked me if he could pay me to just piggyback on my wi-fi.

I politely declined as that seems like a very easy way to get arrested and blamed for whatever hosed-up poo poo he browses

OTOH the possibilities for fun pranks seemed endless but :effort:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lmao

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Have you read this? It's so gosh-darn fun!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Pththya-lyi posted:

Have you read this? It's so gosh-darn fun!

No, what happens in Murder Past Due

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hector Beerlioz posted:

No, what happens in Murder Past Due

There are a TON of mystery novels about small-town amateur detectives (think Murder, She Wrote); often they have pet cats and/or a cutesy job or hobby. These books are catnip for middle-aged and elderly women:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_mystery

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jumps off roof of tallest building in town
sprains ankle

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I really wish Bobby would spray paint that he loves me on the bridge.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
*Spends Christmas Eve at the Wal-mart, hanging out in the parking lot, drinking on the hood of my car*

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

It's slightly scary that you know this, I didn't realize that poo poo was specific to this area. Or do you live here too?

Did some environmental work on that golf course and was in the loop on the redevelopment battles which gave it away.

Bergen county does have a creepy, insular vibe to it too though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

marsisol posted:

Did some environmental work on that golf course and was in the loop on the redevelopment battles which gave it away.

Bergen county does have a creepy, insular vibe to it too though.

ha awesome, is the ground really as toxic as they say?

They're tearing up the trees and poo poo now lol, I have to drive by there to get to work and it's going to be really annoying when there are an additional 100+ fancy cars coming in and out every day.

e: it's a pretty diverse county overall, but yeah the richer parts are definitely very insular and Trump-voter-ish.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
*Spends all day at various yard sales and buys a couple of shirts for 25c.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
*watches the volunteer fire department respond to the fourth grassfire started by drunk yahoos at the outdoor firing range this month*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How are we defining small? Less than 20k?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Oyak posted:

**votes for zoning board officials who promise to preserve open space**
**watches zoning board deny permits to local land baron who wants to convert farmland to warehouse and trucking hub for Amazon**
**land baron threatens to build quarry and turkey poo poo lagoon instead**
**watches zoning board approve building permits for Amazon hub**

:(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

depends on where it is, really

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Haverchuck posted:

chinese place opens and fails in 3 months. pizza place opens and fails in 3 months. bbq place opens and fails in 3 months. cracker barrel by the highway onramp is slammed every single day

This is sad and true. Some of the best meals I've ever had in my life were at small local eats in small towns. When I pass through the town again, there is always an available or for rent sign where the restaurant once was :(

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Kelp Me! posted:

Like it or not small-town farmers are being dragged into the digital age: Desperate John Deere tractor owners are downloading illegal Ukrainian firmware hacks to get the crops in

tl:dr: John Deere made it so if you replace a part on one of their tractors you have to pay one of their people to come to you and plug a thumbdrive into your tractor's USB port to "authorize" the part you just swapped in

e: welcome to the darknet, are you looking for drugs, stolen credit cards, or farm equipment firmware updates, we got it all!!!

Oh my god thank you so much for this post holy poo poo I'm gonna make so much fuckin money.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*Becomes a foster parent to various native American children that were removed from their homes on the nearby reservation*

*Uses money to fill house with crap purchased off QVC*

*Children live a spartan existence, none are potty trained or have verbal skills due to massive neglect*

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pththya-lyi posted:

There are a TON of mystery novels about small-town amateur detectives (think Murder, She Wrote); often they have pet cats and/or a cutesy job or hobby. These books are catnip for middle-aged and elderly women:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_mystery

Is Miss Marple a Cozy?

Edit: NVM I read the wikipedia article and it even has it as an example.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

*is late for school because there was a combine driving on the highway and no place to pass*

*half the grade is wearing camo today because it's hunting season*

*first day of hunting season is considered an acceptable excuse to miss school, for students and teachers*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think it really depends on your perspective. I grew up in a town of 2300, so a town of 20,000 would not be small to me. But then someone from a town of 200 could say the same about me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Within the general guideline of "Too small for parking garages to exist" the subcategories of "too small for walmart" and "too small for Dollar General" are just progressively lower circles of hell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Within the general guideline of "Too small for parking garages to exist" the subcategories of "too small for walmart" and "too small for Dollar General" are just progressively lower circles of hell

Does it count if the big scandal in my town is whether or not to build a parking garage in the commercial part, and it's been debated for several years now?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Won't lie, this sounds fun.

Git in the truck

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Finally in TYOOL of 2017 I can legally buy beer on Sunday. Trump's president and I can buy a sixer of Bud Light at the grocery outlet three blocks from my house ALL SEVEN DAYS OF THE WEEK.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress you and your county option we only just got to stop having the Jesus Rope at walmart before 1:30 last year.

For the uninitiated, it's grudgingly okay to go grocery shopping on sunday morning but God and the state both say its a crime to buy pants before church lets out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Moon Slayer posted:

*first day of hunting season is considered an acceptable excuse to miss school, for students and teachers*

If you live in tobacco country, the entire school system shuts down for a week or two while kids and teachers both work the fields. Pays pretty well too.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Your kid does something incredibly stupid one night, and it's all over town by morning.

Yes, this really happens.

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008
*dies in a house fire after passing out with a lit cigarette
*dies in a hunting accident
*dies getting shot by the police after walking around town pointing a gun at houses
*dies drunk driving and gets a whole page in the yearbook

A death in a small town is a big loving deal and everybody knows who died and how they died within 24 hours.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

*Adopts a noticeably thicker accent when visiting friends and family back home.

*Exists in a liminal space between city and small town values.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*dies falling off cliff that I throw raccoons off after I live trap them on my property* (this was the talk of a small town I visited recently)

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Most small towns in America suffer from the same kinds of blight like stores closing and/or meth cooking

but there are some that are weird anomalies, like mine. There are fewer than 100 people that live here, it's more like a village or hamlet, but the few dozen homes are kept up and neat and the handful of businesses are well-maintained. I think it's mainly because the people who live here are farmers but their homes are not sited on their actual farms, but instead clustered around this spot on the road where the non-farm businesses are.

and every single road sign is riddled with bullet/buckshot holes

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DamnCanadian posted:

Your kid does something incredibly stupid one night, and it's all over town by morning.

Yes, this really happens.

My mom used to say that the most terrifying thing in the world for her was when someone at the grocery store or post office or wherever would come up to her and ask "aren't you [my name]'s mother?"

75% of the time it was completely innocuous, but sometimes it was indeed because my friends and I had done something incredibly stupid the night before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*is a coal miner*

*votes trump*

*gets owned*

*dies*

• Locked thread