Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
got2be real, i don't quite see the yugioh card thing people are saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's Egyptian, ergo YuGiOh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

This one actually looks pretty good. The art fits well with the frame and so the card forms one congruent whole. The symmetry in particular really helps. If they all looked like this it wouldn't be so bad.

I'm not sure what the art has to do with producing extra mana though. If you renamed it to City of Brass it would be much better.

It would look decent except for the horrific pseudo-hieroglyphs font.

Invocations and Yugioh are both beige, terrible, and hard to read.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Star Man posted:

It's Egyptian, ergo YuGiOh.

I never knew Yugioh was supposed to be egyptian.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://clips.twitch.tv/StrangeCarefulSpindleCurseLit

caleb got a card ive never heard of

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's loyal retainers if you cant click the link

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's a goofball P3K card

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

it's loyal retainers if you cant click the link

Well you certainly can't tell the name from the name line

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

https://twitter.com/Dash_Reindeer/status/846883393040146432

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ah, okay that does make it easier to see

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

clamiam45 posted:

Now read the type line. You've gotta have a degree in cryptography to read the type line.

I R START,
U R STOP

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's fine. It's like "Yo, Bolas shrine, gimme some mana. TIA." On par with the other rituals minus the spell caster.

The problem with it is that Dark Ritual has a lot of very good arts, and this art is extremely boring. The frame looks fine with that art though, outside of the name and type lines. God the type line is so loving huge and the art box is ridiculously small.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Well you certainly can't tell the name from the name line

You've never played with M(computer mouse emoji)ILOYAL RETACKERSIT?

They have the creature type ABVISOR.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
calling it now, not-atlantis set will have masterpieces with lenticular emojis for art and rules text in wingdings font.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

I never knew Yugioh was supposed to be egyptian.

I know very little about YuGiOh, but I know that bigass pendant he wears is a pyramid with that Egyptian eye on it and I think the show borrows aspects of Ancient Egyptian design on a whim because that's what Japanese artists just do. If it's a card and there's anything to do with Egypt on it, people just mock it for ripping off YuGiOh. I'm sure we'd be making cracks about Stargate instead if that movie and the TV shows had a larger niche in pop culture.

It was in Portal: Three Kingdoms and Commander's Arsenal. It was played a little in Legacy in Maverick in 2012 but I don't think it gets played anymore.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The problem with it is that Dark Ritual has a lot of very good arts, and this art is extremely boring. The frame looks fine with that art though, outside of the name and type lines. God the type line is so loving huge and the art box is ridiculously small.

Yea I agree its boring. Fine isn't much of a compliment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The new masterpieces sure do look awful

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I R START,
U R STOP

Dark Ritual has a lot of bad arts, the Mercadian Masques art is the only good one! This art looks nice for the theme.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

If it takes you more than two seconds to figure out what the cards name is there's something seriously wrong with your card design.

Alris fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 29, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

You've never played with M(computer mouse emoji)ILOYAL RETACKERSIT?

They have the creature type ABVISOR.

HΔΠЯΠ ЯBⅥS◈R

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I feel like I'm trying to read bad metal band logos every time I try to figure out what the card actually is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only person on my LGS facebook group defending these is a a guy who plays Yugioh and Pokemon.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Alris posted:

If it takes you more than two seconds to figure out what the cards name is there's something seriously wrong with your card design.

A fun game with these is to not scroll down to the art or text box until you decipher the name lol

EDIT: NOTIBAZEINOT

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The good news is if you pull any masterpiece at draft and play fast enough then you can say it's whatever card you need right then because no one can read these things much less upside down

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alris posted:

Holy poo poo that's the most unreadable one yet. Filling up all empty space on the name line with random glyphs is at least the second-worst design idea out of at least 10 terrible design ideas on these cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Alris posted:

I read the text and still took 2 seconds of looking at the name to figure it out.

Antibaz...

ANTIBAZINGA?! I'm on board with that.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Loyal Retainers saw its greatest success as part of Legacy Survival, so it's appropriate that they'd have Caleb preview it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alris posted:

I've been trying to figure out what the card is without reading what the card does and I seriously could not decipher this one.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
NITIBAZEIN

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alris posted:

T1Mo:parrot:N0TlBAZElN0T :taco:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TwistedNails posted:

Dark Ritual has a lot of bad arts, the Mercadian Masques art is the only good one! This art looks nice for the theme.

Look at this incorrect mother fucker. Ranked in order ascending order:

All of these except the judge promo are some dark rear end rituals. The Invocation version is....some stairs? Maybe they're haunted stairs, I dunno, and maybe it's just implied that there's some shenanigans going on at the pinnacle of the temple, but it isn't showing the actual ritual.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yea I agree its boring. Fine isn't much of a compliment.

Fine is high praise. Look at this poo poo:

Alris posted:

That blue on the side looks like actual doodles from a child. Those squiggles are laughably terrible.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Look at this incorrect mother fucker. Ranked in order ascending order:

All of these except the judge promo are some dark rear end rituals. The Invocation version is....some stairs? Maybe they're haunted stairs, I dunno, and maybe it's just implied that there's some shenanigans going on at the pinnacle of the temple, but it isn't showing the actual ritual.

You like some really ugly dark rituals.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Alris posted:

Fun activity: try and get non-magic-playing friends to parse out what the name of this is.

How in the gently caress did these get printed?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Masques is the best Dark Ritual, though if you prefer Tempest, Mirage, or the original I support you.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
efro tearing into these during the VSL was incredible. Sure Wizards was loving that.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

TwistedNails posted:

You like some really ugly dark rituals.

No way. Urza's Saga dark ritual is the best dark ritual.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Masques is the best Dark Ritual, though if you prefer Tempest, Mirage, or the original I support you.

:same:

Can someone tell me what this new Daze art has to do with either the name Daze or its effect. If you had just shown me that art I would have guessed Dovescape or something

Elyv fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 29, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Daze might be the worst one yet, holy poo poo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

:same:

Can someone tell me what this new Daze art has to do with either name Daze or its effect. If you had just shown me that art I would have guessed Dovescape or something

well you see the island turns into birds and distracts the opponent from casting the spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CompeAnansi posted:

No way. Urza's Saga dark ritual is the best dark ritual.

This but unironically, though the MM Rit is very nice too.

• Locked thread