Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If they dogleg it south to follow the CC I think it makes a pretty good line, actually. The Germans aren't here to take as many square meters as they can, as long as they can get as far west as possible they're in a good position. Now, the fact that this plan commits them to a northern thrust that may find itself drowned if they do TOO well is a potential long term problem, but only we and probably a sneaky Entente player or two can figure that out.

E: Oh the Germans have a trench now, using that would shorten the line considerably

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Lovely that LLSix is so keen on throwing his brigade away. Yep, will charge before disengaging. Just a little bit of charging a trench full of BEF just under the nose of another enemy brigade before totally disengaging, guys. Don't mind me, be right back.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I guess he's also never heard of the RPG rule about "if the DM says 'are you sure you want to do that?', you should probably reconsider"...

vvv well, he can certainly try, and maybe it's a chance to show off the rules about close combat in trenches! vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 27, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gotta respect that elan though, even in the face of a direct opposing order from his superior.

LLSix posted:

I can't think of a single charge that didn't succeed. I'm in charging range, so I have to charge or risk letting them charge me. Charging seems to be the decisive mechanic with this rule set.

Besides. Standing around out of trenches shooting at people in trenches is a game for suicidal idiots. I'm suicidal but I try not to be a complete idiot.

gently caress yeah.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 28, 2017

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

The spirit of xthetenth lives on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A reasonable assumption, but the irony is amusing:

AbortRetryFail posted:

yeah we will need to be targetting the current positions of the field guns and MGs in the South. They're not going to be moving those...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Corbeau posted:

What's most amazing is that one absurdly lucky cavalry charge last game made everyone magically forget the half-dozen or more suicidal charges against entrenched positions from that exact same game.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Especially since the charge was versus moving mg and artillery instead of entrenched infantry.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

You still haven't provided a single example of a charge against positions from last game, tbh.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

You still haven't provided a single example of a charge against positions from last game, tbh.

There was that one fairly massive charge (one Bde plus fire support) by the French upon StC early on that was completely cut down without anybody doing much of anything. It started at around 10:30 and was finally wiped out around 12:00. Though that was against a numerically superior defending force. Then again the whole kerfluffle in the east around that time saw several charges by both sides that were initially successful but lead to the survivors being out of position and getting immediately cut down.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
In both of those cases there are no prepared positions, just ad-hoc stands where contact was made. At STC we were faster at bringing up reinforcements and they never even closed in to charge. Around Pasteur, calling what we had a "prepared position" would be simply untrue.

We have still no idea what happens when a peer force charges a peer force in an entrenchment. All we know is that charges are deadly enough as is, and trenches are only likely to make it worse.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I draw your attention to the 1913 Army Manouevres, in which a German brigade performed quite well in trench fighting without any real MG support. Proper use of wire will be key; note that the Germans have now seen all the wire in Effyaders and can route around it.

And, of course, there's the standard calculation that in order to ensure victory you require a 3:1 advantage in numbers. The only time we've seen that anywhere is, IIRC, Mon Pere's Charge of the Shite Brigade.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 28, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, could you give that German division and its brigades some designations? I'd like to make a new batch of banners, I know the CP are mulching through them way faster than they ought to, but c'est la vie.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Night falls on Day 2 of the battle.

British
German

Not much Observ-O-Vision worth having, but here's Turn 39:

Ragequitting: never the correct option.

edit: I reckon that's gone about as well as it possibly could have; the 51st stopping has unintentionally given them a situation where they can now potentially advance with two brigades at once rather than just feeding them into battle sequentially. However, I'll lay 100/30 against them figuring that out; they'll feed them in sequentially anyway, and then they get clowned in detail by the BEF introducing their two brigades onto the map next to each other, as they did in the south.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 29, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm curious to see how much damage the British gun line can do, now that they really only have one thing to shoot at.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trin, did you mean to show the German cavalry engineer in mid-update overview in the Entente post? I would think he'd be safely hidden in the trench that they can't see.

The Germans just might be able to make a breakthrough in the north, especially if the British think that they're almost all wiped out and try to move into the northern trench. Their biggest worry is if the British attack in the south, they'll be able to take up a position on the east side of the river uncontested.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Germans have four fresh brigades, all moving to the north. The BEF has one fresh infantry brigade in the north; up to two entering immediately; up to two entering later. A lot is going to depend on where they introduce their guns; that choice was specifically intended to make them agonise over "do we take two brigades, or one plus guns?"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Trin, did you mean to show the German cavalry engineer in mid-update overview in the Entente post? I would think he'd be safely hidden in the trench that they can't see.

The Germans just might be able to make a breakthrough in the north, especially if the British think that they're almost all wiped out and try to move into the northern trench. Their biggest worry is if the British attack in the south, they'll be able to take up a position on the east side of the river uncontested.

IIRC yes, he was just about in spotting range and then immediately hosed off once he realised.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So the Germans have blown a hole clear through the northern third of the map and have 4 fresh brigades to concentrate against a trickle of British ones arriving in the night. Anyone sane would concentrate their forces and start breaking everything that doesn't wear grey with overwhelming force.

But this is the Germans we're talking about. So of course I won't be taking you up on your wager, here's to another 20 turns of feeding units to British guns piecemeal.

E: Who knows, though, maybe the leadership shakeup will bring new life. Hopefully they'll at least properly leverage their artillery deathstar.

E2: Oh hey speak of the devil. Tatonkatonk is displaying sufficient élan, carry on.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 29, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Germans gonna maneuver their forces for a massed charge through barbed wire and into the guns in the middle of the map, because that's what's required by their contract.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix has now talked him out of a suicidal charge into the darkness now, adding one more​ layer of irony to the pile.

I mean the BEF is almost certain to deploy two overstrength infantry brigades directly in the path of the assault, and a night time assault is almost certain to fail to disorganization, but I can't help but think we'll look back on this moment and wonder 'what if?'.
Though I guess if they wait till morning to move they can mass that whole Saxon division for the advance, which would be much more likely to work.

Trin, what is the end condition here? Whenever one side gets pushed off the map or stalemate sets in?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Did the Belgians ever show up now that the Germans are in the FdE?

E: Oh wait that was their trigger only on the first day nvm

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What is with those dice? In two scenarios, the Germans have never once been favoured by the initiative. When they want to charge, they lose it. When they want to fire, they get it. Three brigades routed this turn, while Entente consistently rolls Retreat Suppressed whenever stuff looks bad, which is probably the best possible result nine times out of ten. Shaking my drat head.

EDIT: also I thought planes could not see into cover?

EDIT2: also how did the German indirect fire do? I thought they were supposed to target that huge cluster of BEF troops in the southern FdE trench?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Aw, the german "Effyaders or bust" plan is canceled. That would have been a maneuver for the ages.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The plan was sound, unfortunately the ability of their forces to execute said plan? Not so much. They're making the right call.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Tevery Best posted:

What is with those dice? In two scenarios, the Germans have never once been favoured by the initiative. When they want to charge, they lose it. When they want to fire, they get it. Three brigades routed this turn, while Entente consistently rolls Retreat Suppressed whenever stuff looks bad, which is probably the best possible result nine times out of ten. Shaking my drat head.

Gott gegen uns

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aw drat it Tatonkatonk you've gone too far in the other direction. All I want is glorious ill-advised offensives, is that too much to ask?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Trin, what is the end condition here? Whenever one side gets pushed off the map or stalemate sets in?

Pretty much. I'm going to turn the tap off tomorrow (game time) and reinforcements will be minimal from then on.

This is at least partly a test of player stamina; I want to find out how long I can design scenarios to be for the future without burning the players (or myself) out. I'm thinking about 4-6 weeks is the limit; we'll see.

Planes are not guaranteed to see anything, as the Germans found out; the British plane rolled just as crappily, but IIRC all 24 German guns opened fire at once that turn, and that's rather harder to not see than a couple of engineers and a division command beetling around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Loel posted:

Im at work for another couple hours, did we get some consensus on sending the south brigade to La Dand?

AbortRetryFail posted:

I think we've discussed all these is to discuss about it. It is a highly risky but highly entertaining plan...

Good lord I hope they go through with it. Assuming the brigade manages to march off in the correct direction at night, it would probably even make it to La Dand as the Germans pivot north.

What this brigade could actually accomplish after making it there remains unclear, but it certainly would be entertaining.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ mulch the phone lines up but good, appear in the German rear where least expected, tank German morale, gently caress with their reinforcements ^^^

Crazycryodude posted:

Aw drat it Tatonkatonk you've gone too far in the other direction. All I want is glorious ill-advised offensives, is that too much to ask?

Don't worry, his brigadiers seem bent on launching one anyway...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 30, 2017

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Baccaruda's plan:

Oh god, it's painful just to look at it. The endless spiral of charging continues. :cry:
No conditional orders, no fallback plan, just CHARGE!

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 30, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
this has been fairly messy - 2:1 casualties inflicted by the Brits as far as companies and neither side has quite gottne thier full artillery complement online yet.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

wedgekree posted:

this has been fairly messy - 2:1 casualties inflicted by the Brits as far as companies and neither side has quite gottne thier full artillery complement online yet.

I love how Bacarruda somehow counted six German cavalry brigades and three infantry brigades dead.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

PittTheElder posted:

Assuming the brigade manages to march off in the correct direction at night
What are the chances of that happening?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Baccaruda's plan:

Oh god, it's painful just to look at it. The endless spiral of charging continues. :cry:
No conditional orders, no fallback plan, just CHARGE!

Historically accurate for 1914, right? I guess these commanders were napping in their chalet and missed a year.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

What are the chances of that happening?

Not great. I also like that they're planning to attack the German gunline because their spotter plane picked up all the guns (actively firing at the time) but none of the supporting infantry. And they apparently just haven't considered that the Germans probably didn't leave all their artillery totally unguarded.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Not great. I also like that they're planning to attack the German gunline because their spotter plane picked up all the guns (actively firing at the time) but none of the supporting infantry. And they apparently just haven't considered that the Germans probably didn't leave all their artillery totally unguarded.

Earlier plans had a great deal of counter battery play which I wanted to see.

Lord Palmerston was a better pm than Pitt though real talk.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Except for the whole Ireland thing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was really worried about the British crossing the river and taking ground, but I guess if they're going to charge right in, they'll all be dead by the end of that offensive anyways, a lot like what happened to the Germans. It's weird, they're not wrong in thinking that the southern flank of the Germans isn't as defended as it should be, but it's such a weird assumption that a lonely cavalry engineer is their only man outside of Stethescope.

Also it looks like the Germans are doing some weird shuffling of their forces. Are they pulling a unit out of Effyaders to take down south instead of just sending their fresh unit south instead?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

Lord Palmerston was a better pm than Pitt though real talk.

Quite probably. But I didn't want anyone calling me Pam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
As required by goon law:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=mXlyYSNAACM

• Locked thread