Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Daaaaaang, first boss fight owns
The levels own
Not-patches owns

What a good dlc this seems to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of lore, was Princess Filianore mentioned or even hinted at in any Souls game prior to this DLC?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
This DLC is handing me my rear end but I guess that's my fault for going in at NG+. The sorcerer guys that turtle up andturn into one of those industrial floor polishers are, however, hilarious.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Fighting the dragon on the rock path is so annoying, not because I can't get close to killing it, but because the camera angles keep making it extremely aggravating

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well this sure is a bug: (boss spoiler)

I reset the boss via the monument to see if that'd make Ledo invade - nope. Turns out you can miss him, so heads up! Decided to warp to the post boss bonfire to see what would happen, fog gates block entry to the boss room unsurprisingly. Almost instantly I was blocked from touching the bonfire, and a short bit later a Spear of the Church invaded, and I think it was only when the spear hit the giant that he started his dialog. Eventually the invader crystaled out and it summoned the NPC in, at which point I was allowed to bonfire out.

Really, really surprised they didn't test that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wow this dlc's gimmick is loving stupid

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

anybody else get the infinite loading screen glitch on ps4? had to delete the whole game and re-download it last night :shepicide:

finished up the dlc today, it was definitely better then AoA but felt pretty disappointing for a capstone to the series. love that big rear end hammer though

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I think I may have died to the demon prince a solid two dozen times now. I'm not sure that a pyromancer is the best choice to go through this DLC with

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to one of the earliest areas I'm pretty sure the roots are actually from Things Betwixt and thus are also part of DS2. Fitting considering giant magic spamming rear end in a top hat angel is also from DS2. Even the boss feels kind of appropriate for DS2, as it looks closer to a fusion of the Old Iron King and the Travel Demons than the traditional demons of Chaos from Dark Souls

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So about a boss, I'm still catching up in my new save but; Old Monk 2.0 what happens if you're playing offline?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

nominal posted:

I think I may have died to the demon prince a solid two dozen times now. I'm not sure that a pyromancer is the best choice to go through this DLC with

Are they also resistant to dark pyros?

I've heard that the black iron greatshield or the black knight shield makes the fight far easier if you are a big sissy

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Okay the new covenant owns.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

... okay.

Am I seriously the only person here who absolutely loves the DLC? Yeah, the cover-based bullshit probably didn't need an encore, and it was probably a poor idea to jam-pack the map with painless "lethal" falls given the number of actually lethal falls they managed to squeeze in there.

But holy poo poo, I am digging this. The maps are both sprawling and dense with secrets and passageways, the encounters are really well-plotted, varied, and difficult, and I've been having a blast with the boss fights. I don't know if it was scripted or if it was some weird glitch, but I got warped into someone's boss fight even though I wasn't even a member of the covenant that does the invasions, but dropping some poor fool whose only crime was running into me, the world's most important badass.

Like, no, it isn't DkS1's DLC because it isn't literally the most beautiful thing man has ever created, but I'm​ having the time of my life with this installment. Oh, but I also actually don't know anything about the lore at all. I think there's a fire and a cycle? I'm not really qualified to judge the story.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I like this DLC and the only blemish so far is that loving dragon boss. How did that poo poo get past play testing with such terrible camera control and wonky hit boxes. I'm enjoying the new weapons, new covenant and new fashion that's available. I'll have to try the new spells before I can make a judgement on them. Also the length is much better and I think FROM finally learned how to make a good swamp zone without relying on making your players wish the rusted iron ring was in the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm too far in all things considered, but I am also really enjoying it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

So about a boss, I'm still catching up in my new save but; Old Monk 2.0 what happens if you're playing offline?

You just fight an NPC and it's laughably easy :ms:

Time_pants posted:

Am I seriously the only person here who absolutely loves the DLC?

Nah I'm loving the heck out of it. I said it before, they really cranked up the "holy poo poo" factor to 11. :allears:
e: I'm also really enjoying the lore as well as the schadenfreude from people who are angry at it

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 29, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
At least the offline version of the Spear fight has some actual abilities and moves, as opposed to the Old Monk offline NPC who was just some dude with claws and Homing Soulmass. :effort:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm trying to improve my damage output on my Sword-and-Board build.

Here's her layout:

Level 80 (finished Ariandel DLC, haven't beaten Lothric yet, nor Archdragon)
+10 Raw Claymore
+8 Lothric Shield

No bells or whistles, no spells besides a little faith to do Tears of Denial. Stats are:

VIG: 31
ATT: 14
END: 30
VIT: 22
STR: 26
DEX: 16
INT: 9
FTH: 18
Luck: 7

What can I do to improve my overall damage at this point? What adjustments to this build would work out well?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm trying to improve my damage output on my Sword-and-Board build.

Here's her layout:

Level 80 (finished Ariandel DLC, haven't beaten Lothric yet, nor Archdragon)
+10 Raw Claymore
+8 Lothric Shield

No bells or whistles, no spells besides a little faith to do Tears of Denial. Stats are:

VIG: 31
ATT: 14
END: 30
VIT: 22
STR: 26
DEX: 16
INT: 9
FTH: 18
Luck: 7

What can I do to improve my overall damage at this point? What adjustments to this build would work out well?
Take Raw off the Claymore. Your AR is actually worse with 26 STR and 16 DEX than just using the Claymore with no infusions. Any of Heavy, Sharp, or Refined would boost your AR significantly; Heavy is best given your circumstances and ability to two-hand it for more damage.

EDIT: At your stats a Claymore +10 has 376 AR and a Raw Claymore +10 has 345 AR. Heavy Claymore +10 would bump that to 416 AR. You need to Heavy infuse it ASAP.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

I like this DLC and the only blemish so far is that loving dragon boss. How did that poo poo get past play testing with such terrible camera control and wonky hit boxes. I'm enjoying the new weapons, new covenant and new fashion that's available. I'll have to try the new spells before I can make a judgement on them. Also the length is much better and I think FROM finally learned how to make a good swamp zone without relying on making your players wish the rusted iron ring was in the game.

So like every other dragon fight in the series barring Singh, it's poo poo?

Also I feel compelled to ask again; what's the scaling on the cool rear end fire sword? I want that more than any other weapon I've seen from the DLC so I might just build around it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Nuebot posted:

Also I feel compelled to ask again; what's the scaling on the cool rear end fire sword? I want that more than any other weapon I've seen from the DLC so I might just build around it.
Seems to be DEX/INT/FAI. Its AR is distinctly underwhelming but it has a couple major advantages that people will definitely be taking advantage of: (1) It does ONLY Fire damage, no Physical at all; (2) it has all the Curved Sword R1s which makes it insanely versatile to use on the run; (3) it can do some insane mixups and partial animation cancels with various Pyromancies and your opponent has no idea which spell you're going to bust out with your R2s. The Spell Adjust is not great, about 25 points lower than a +10 Flame at +5, but it still can do respectable damage with offensive Pyromancies so you can bust out Great Combustions and Fire Sprays with little warning letting you do stuff like dash at somebody and either R1 the insanely fast Curved Sword run swing or drop a Black Flame in their face if they try to block or something. I'm looking forward to seeing a pro make use of it in PvP.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Nah it's worse. Everything that isn't his head takes like 70% less damage, so you're either blinding swinging your weapon at where you think his head is offscreen or you fight the camera even harder. It's a shame too because his moveset is pretty good and fun and during my first couple of attempts I thought I was gonna like the boss, but in the end it... wasn't a lot of fun.

Unrelated; it's not just me, Ultra Greatswords are the new Straight Swords right? This DLC is so much easier with an UGS than what I did on my first playthrough (straight sword and spear, it's tradition) :psyduck:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Yeah basically the more that I think about it Sinh is probably the best FROM has done with a fight like that. The blade the demon prince soul transposes into is -/E/D/D (S/D/I/F). I'm going through the DLC again to get it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how do you access the area to the right of the fall above the second bonfire in the dlc? i fell down there once by accident and can't figure out how

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Time_pants posted:

Am I seriously the only person here who absolutely loves the DLC? Yeah, the cover-based bullshit probably didn't need an encore, and it was probably a poor idea to jam-pack the map with painless "lethal" falls given the number of actually lethal falls they managed to squeeze in there.

It's my favorite Souls DLC so no, you ain't the only one. I'm really enjoying the challenge but nothing feels bullshit like some of the jankier parts of the older games. It still has jank but I mean, it's a Souls game and I've never cared that enemies can phase some attacks through walls or any of that poo poo.

Azuth0667 posted:

I actually really liked the dragon, he's very hard at first but once you learn his moves he falls over, which is how it should be. I thought his hitboxes were actually really good, it's just that he's so big that when he moves the camera can make you feel like stuff that should have hit didn't. That's just a camera angle thing though, not a hitbox thing, if you could see it from another angle you'd see how you were actually whiffing. It's really noticeable when you go for his head, he loves to move it back up out of range and his size plus the camera angle makes it really hard to judge the right distance. Once I got used to it I could land hits every time though. Using a longer weapon (I beat him with the Old Wolf Curved Sword) helps a lot.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 29, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone care to help me get a moonlight greatsword? I have it on an alt but need help transfering it to my sorc. Steam name is the same as my SA name. edit: done

Iretep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 29, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What's up with the "greatsword" that's actually a halberd that the old lady at the beginning of Ringed City sells you? It seems like it completely sucks and was just kind of shoved in there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What am I supposed to do about the Demon Prince as a pyromancer if he never lands, on the off chance he does he resists fire, dark, and based on my summons, and lightning and blunt and sharp and pierce, and he has an instant kill meteor storm with extra fire resist and absorption and eating red bugs? Just pray he lands and never casts the "you lose" spell? The first phases are fine enough but when he goes to town I can't seem to get him past half.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I'd like to know how you dodge his meteor storm. I know you can stagger him to gently caress up his cast, but given his mobility its very easy for him to get away with casting it. I was never able to avoid it. The meteors just homed in and crushed me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'd like to know how you dodge his meteor storm. I know you can stagger him to gently caress up his cast, but given his mobility its very easy for him to get away with casting it. I was never able to avoid it. The meteors just homed in and crushed me.

Exactly! I know you can dodge them up close on occasion, but if he does the flame aoe pulse first, then you're dead anyway.

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
As far as I know, depending on which of the first phases you kill, he'll have a laser blast instead of chaos meteors. They're a lot easier to evade.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How much attunement should I be aiming for as a mage?

I don't think anyone replied to this, but for my pyromancer I ended up going with 27 attunement. You get like 200 FP at that level, and your ashen estus flasks will only regen 200 FP per swig, so that's where I stopped.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tahjir posted:

As far as I know, depending on which of the first phases you kill, he'll have a laser blast instead of chaos meteors. They're a lot easier to evade.

If this is true, that's pretty big. I've never seen him do the meteors, but the laser is "please come hit me some more and probably do a riposte"-mode. Have I accidentally been killing the first phase in the same order every time? :psyduck:

e: it would also explain why I thought he was super easy and others are saying he's super hard, I guess. I'm sorry if I doubted anyone

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I don't think anyone replied to this, but for my pyromancer I ended up going with 27 attunement. You get like 200 FP at that level, and your ashen estus flasks will only regen 200 FP per swig, so that's where I stopped.

30 is the ideal stopping point unless you need more attunment slots. Though you can go for less since the estus going over isnt that big of a deal. Basically first go for how many slots you need, then only put extra points into it when you have nothing else to max until it hits 30.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tahjir posted:

I thought he did both my last attempt but I may be confusing two of them together. Finally beat him with the help of a sorcerer buddy named Magic Spammer. I guess they're weak to sorcery and not much else.

What's the more fun thing to make out of his soul?

e: It was a pretty cool fight but drat those resistances are high

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I just did my first go at the last boss and got him to about 1/4th hp remaining before he wore me down but this fight is actually extremely awesome?? What did people not like about it exactly? It feels like one of the best fights in the series (hot take from a single attempt).

Edit: Got him on the third try, what a sick fight. For me, that was a perfect send off to the series.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I've seen people talking about triggering the credits during the DLC? How? I've killed the final boss, optional boss, done the hollow npc quest, and given the pigment to the painter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

I just did my first go at the last boss and got him to about 1/4th hp remaining before he wore me down but this fight is actually extremely awesome?? What did people not like about it exactly? It feels like one of the best fights in the series (hot take from a single attempt).

I've seen several people disappointed that it's not Gwyn, again. Or anything else from DS1, because y'know, the Dark Souls community.

For real though, god drat what an amazing fight. It's everything I wanted :swoon: On my first attempt I was 1 hit from winning, with 0 estus (through facetanking and pure luck), then greed got me. Next couple of attempts I went in shieldless and just did phase 1 over and over until I could do it without getting hit. Amazingly fun fight, and a good example of what I think are the best fights in the series 1-on-1, no gimmicks, telegraphed attacks, hits like a truck, tight dodge timing and most importantly, fair.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah basically the more that I think about it Sinh is probably the best FROM has done with a fight like that. The blade the demon prince soul transposes into is -/E/D/D (S/D/I/F). I'm going through the DLC again to get it.

I don't mean the curved one, I mean the one you ignite because that looks sick. I don't know if it's a great sword or what.

After spending like a week playing Nier Automata I'm just wrecking this game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Nah it's worse. Everything that isn't his head takes like 70% less damage, so you're either blinding swinging your weapon at where you think his head is offscreen or you fight the camera even harder. It's a shame too because his moveset is pretty good and fun and during my first couple of attempts I thought I was gonna like the boss, but in the end it... wasn't a lot of fun.

Unrelated; it's not just me, Ultra Greatswords are the new Straight Swords right? This DLC is so much easier with an UGS than what I did on my first playthrough (straight sword and spear, it's tradition) :psyduck:

Yeah the only dragon fight this isn't worse than is the ancient dragon. Which isn't saying much because the ancient dragon is the single worst boss in the entire series.