Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

That was a trip to Moab. I keep the exterior beat up looking to stay inconspicuous as I actually park it on the street in Chicago. Brown primer makes great fake rust from 10 feet away! (It's actually from Nevada originally so still rust free despite being 17 years old now. I've avoided driving it in the winter here to keep it that way.)

I haven't done any stealth camping in a city yet but I think it would do the trick. The solar panel is the only thing visible from the outside. That and the RV plates, I suppose. It has a full sink setup, fridge, induction cooktop, portapotty and I'm working on rigging up a shower using a $40 coffee urn as a hot water heater with a $20 rechargable shower head pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Man_of_Teflon posted:

That was a trip to Moab. I keep the exterior beat up looking to stay inconspicuous as I actually park it on the street in Chicago. Brown primer makes great fake rust from 10 feet away! (It's actually from Nevada originally so still rust free despite being 17 years old now. I've avoided driving it in the winter here to keep it that way.)

I haven't done any stealth camping in a city yet but I think it would do the trick. The solar panel is the only thing visible from the outside. That and the RV plates, I suppose. It has a full sink setup, fridge, induction cooktop, portapotty and I'm working on rigging up a shower using a $40 coffee urn as a hot water heater with a $20 rechargable shower head pump.

Huh, I didn't realize RVs require special plates in Nevada. What is the reasoning to register it as an RV instead of a van?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Huh, I didn't realize RVs require special plates in Nevada. What is the reasoning to register it as an RV instead of a van?

Illinois! Hence the parking in Chicago.

I registered it as an RV for slightly cheaper registration fees, mostly. It would theoretically let me drive on Lake Shore Drive (commercial vehicles and trucks are banned from it (and technically all the boulevards here too :science:)) but I have no desire to test it and fight it in court when I inevitably get ticketed (cops will give a ticket to like a Ranger or Tacoma on LSD, yet SUVs get a pass...).

It was super easy to register it as an RV, I just told them I was building it out as an RV. No inspection or anything. The law here says:

quote:

Sec. 1-145.01. Motor home, mini motor home or van camper. A self-contained motor vehicle, not used commercially, designed or permanently converted to provide living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use, with direct walk through access to the living quarters from the driver's seat. Such vehicles must include at least four of the following: 
    a) A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source; 
    b) A gas or electric refrigerator; 
    c) A toilet with exterior evacuation; 
    d) A heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine; 
    e) A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection;
    f) A 110-125 volt electric power supply

I have the law printed out in case I get hassled, as I have a, b, d, and f (no exterior toilet or water connections).

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 27, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Both of those are absolutely awesome. The GMC motorhome I posted about earlier has not left my mind since I discovered them. I emailed the New England GMC motorhome chapter to see if they know if anyone in the Boston area with one (not necessarily for sale) that I could check out just to see one in person and talk to someone familiar in person. Still haven't heard back.

I really want to get my hands on one. Just...money and not knowing fully what I want to do with my life. Desolately want to do some serious road tripping this coming summer/fall. And being able to park that thing in a ski town would be amazing.

I feel like I should just find something as cheap as possible for the experience factor (of both getting to know Campers, working on them, etc but more importantly for the Life Experience). 26 right now without any big responsibilities and will have the work flexibility.

My uncle has one of those GMCs, he restored it and put a 500ci Caddy motor in it. Took him a lot of blood, sweat and tears though. when he talks about it it doesnt sound like the experience was fun at all :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So Pop and I figured something was up at the RV Dealership.

We got preapproved on the RV [we both got great credit], decent used interest rate and we were putting almost a 30% down payment on it once it was finalized.

Except we haven't heard anything for a week. We went down today and apparently, despite the country coach being in awesome shape, the fact its 17 years old is scaring off almost all of their lenders. The dealer may back out of the contract if they can't get financing at the rate they stated [that provision was in writing] so they started fishing around to see if we were interested in getting something newer.

We're in wait & see mode now, we went to another RV Lot and looked at a used Super-C on a Navistar chassis [Cummins powered] which may be an option.. 2008-2009 ish but we may put off the RV idea until we can buy in mostly cash. Dad'd rather have a late 1995-2004 era class A coach with pre-emissions diesels and simple wiring vs the emissions loaded diesels and multiplex wiring setups on the newer RV's.

I agree with him on that note. All isn't lost yet. Hate to do the finance dept run around only to find out the seller can't deliver on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
get a bus conversion. :D

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Could any Airstream experts comment on if this would be a good deal / bad idea or if it is worth anything? Ideas on what to offer?

http://www.lsn.com/1975-airstream-reduced/5265553.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Could any Airstream experts comment on if this would be a good deal / bad idea or if it is worth anything? Ideas on what to offer?

http://www.lsn.com/1975-airstream-reduced/5265553.html

Uhhhh.....

"so we gutted the entire interior, which is a good chunk of the work"

No, it's not.

Best case, you are buying a registrable shell which is hopefully water tight. Confirm that. Then look at suspension and brakes/bearings. Count on most of that being trashed if it's been sitting. Of course the tires are done.

So what it your plan here? How much money and time do you have? If the answer is not "at least 5x the asking price and tons of time (and I've very hands on DIY with mechanical and carpentry skills)" move on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

Uhhhh.....

"so we gutted the entire interior, which is a good chunk of the work"

No, it's not.

Best case, you are buying a registrable shell which is hopefully water tight. Confirm that. Then look at suspension and brakes/bearings. Count on most of that being trashed if it's been sitting. Of course the tires are done.

So what it your plan here? How much money and time do you have? If the answer is not "at least 5x the asking price and tons of time (and I've very hands on DIY with mechanical and carpentry skills)" move on.

Gutted is a small bonus as this is just a dumb idea me and a buddy have had over beers of doing a food truck type deal for Bonnaroo each year. This looks ratty and I didn't have an idea if this is worth $2500 or $500 especially with the damage. 75% I'd say work could be done by me. Close friend is a master woodworker who always needs my help for other things so I could barter. I respect and take your input as gospel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that looks like one pain in the rear end. water tight and structural integrity matters a lot... being a custom rebuild + raisin will hurt you when you're ready to pass it on. Besure to document everything.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

that looks like one pain in the rear end. water tight and structural integrity matters a lot... being a custom rebuild + raisin will hurt you when you're ready to pass it on. Besure to document everything.

I hear ya. I may check it out and offer him like $1k this weekend otherwise will probably pass. Thanks for input!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
All this is true but Airstreams are notoriously tough and it probably is watertight. As far as value goes anything you turn into a Mobil food unit is only worth what the equipment inside is worth. If that's the route you are taking I'd offer half and be prepared to walk away. Campers don't make the best food units anyway but if you were only using it for one specific festival like that it could be fine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

All this is true but Airstreams are notoriously tough and it probably is watertight. As far as value goes anything you turn into a Mobil food unit is only worth what the equipment inside is worth. If that's the route you are taking I'd offer half and be prepared to walk away. Campers don't make the best food units anyway but if you were only using it for one specific festival like that it could be fine.

If I did take this on it would just be with the goal of snagging Bonnaroo once a year with the possibility of them opening up another festival or two in the space, then maybe a handful of stuff wishing 100 miles if we had any success. All equipment would be second hand government auction poo poo for the most part. I have no experience in this just a buddy who worked past 5 years at Roo for a roasted corn guy who cleared 20-30k after all said and done (owner of corn deal)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you're doing all this for a four-day fest each year, why not just rent an RV for the occasion?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

If you're doing all this for a four-day fest each year, why not just rent an RV for the occasion?

Wouldn't be possible extremely picky who gets in and codes and such. You could do it with just huge tent and equipment. Rent an RV is what a week if even possible . I'd want to be all in including purchase price 6-7k for trailer. And serious question can I safely pull this 50-100 miles with v8 explorer that I am desperately
Trying to find a use for?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why not go bread/fedex truck? a 31' kitchen on wheels sounds like a lot of weight to throw behind a v8 explorer.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
If you were looking to do this 1-4 festivals dedicated, I'd try to find a cheap 80's-90's towing duallie for cheap too. I mean the 12V Cummins aren't being given away, but something from that era that could tow that tongue weight without problems would be ideal. If you are in need of someone that could tow you and has the time and inclination, especially if you are headed there from the east side of TN, I may have someone up for the task, send me a PM.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My uncle has one of those GMCs, he restored it and put a 500ci Caddy motor in it. Took him a lot of blood, sweat and tears though. when he talks about it it doesnt sound like the experience was fun at all :v:

Yeesh. Noted

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Why not go bread/fedex truck? a 31' kitchen on wheels sounds like a lot of weight to throw behind a v8 explorer.

Just have an Explorer sitting here doing nothing, and an Airstream is preferable for "the look" for the festival. Honestly don't want one this big but it's the only one popped up locally in the past year. I will post some pics of I get to look at it today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

Wouldn't be possible extremely picky who gets in and codes and such. You could do it with just huge tent and equipment. Rent an RV is what a week if even possible . I'd want to be all in including purchase price 6-7k for trailer. And serious question can I safely pull this 50-100 miles with v8 explorer that I am desperately
Trying to find a use for?

A 31 foot trailer with an Explorer? That sounds super sketchy. Not only will that thing likely be heavy as hell with food equipment and supplies, but the wheelbase of an explorer isn't confidence inspiring for highway travel with a trailer of that size. Doubt you'll be able to handle the tongue weight without suspension modifications and a load leveling hitch.

Time to add up what the contents will weigh and keep in mind.......stock these things are 5000 lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. I'd guestimate only 1k or less of that is interior finish. I doubt you'll be able to get it under 7k gross and v8 explorers are rated for like 3500 lbs.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

A 31 foot trailer with an Explorer? That sounds super sketchy. Not only will that thing likely be heavy as hell with food equipment and supplies, but the wheelbase of an explorer isn't confidence inspiring for highway travel with a trailer of that size. Doubt you'll be able to handle the tongue weight without suspension modifications and a load leveling hitch.

Time to add up what the contents will weigh and keep in mind.......stock these things are 5000 lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. I'd guestimate only 1k or less of that is interior finish. I doubt you'll be able to get it under 7k gross and v8 explorers are rated for like 3500 lbs.

You are absolutely right, I went and looked at it and it was so much bigger than I imagined. WAY too big. And even if it was one of the small ones it had lots of body damage and it was a nasty mess inside. I sincerely appreciate all input thank you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeesh. Noted

If you want to get a cheap RV get a traditional van class that's RWD it will be ten times easier to work on.

Those GMCs are really cool and my Uncle's is gorgeous, but he's retired and spent a ton of time and money on it. Definitely a niche RV. Only way I'd get one is if it was already restored to like new condition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

everdave posted:

You are absolutely right, I went and looked at it and it was so much bigger than I imagined. WAY too big. And even if it was one of the small ones it had lots of body damage and it was a nasty mess inside. I sincerely appreciate all input thank you.

I get that you want the look for an airstream or some other classic, but you're gonna need a different tow vehicle, even with a small one. Old RVs are heavy as hell, and have been until like the 2000s when they started using a lot more aluminum and actually giving a poo poo about weight. And almost all food service equipment has a lot of gravity in it, since it was intended to be in a fixed install. I just don't see the explorer working out on this one.

Besides, to be period correct you want to tow it with this:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Period correctness be damned, I want that anyway.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Finally picked up my mobile familycave;

Going to be daily driving it for a while, but that size of transit is remarkably driveable and fits in the same kind of parking spaces as most normal cars, so it's not going to be too arduous other than the diesel cost of hauling 3 tons around on the school run.

It's got a lot of kit already, but already have a shopping list of things that need doing - side steps, led lighting on the pop-top, sorting out a million and one rattles (always fun), some manner of carpet in the front and rear, awning rail and some other goodies. Planning on driving off round Europe during the summer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cynic posted:

Finally picked up my mobile familycave;

Going to be daily driving it for a while, but that size of transit is remarkably driveable and fits in the same kind of parking spaces as most normal cars, so it's not going to be too arduous other than the diesel cost of hauling 3 tons around on the school run.

It's got a lot of kit already, but already have a shopping list of things that need doing - side steps, led lighting on the pop-top, sorting out a million and one rattles (always fun), some manner of carpet in the front and rear, awning rail and some other goodies. Planning on driving off round Europe during the summer.

That looks awesome

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
A friend of mine just bought this. I'm extremely jealous.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Withnail posted:

A friend of mine just bought this. I'm extremely jealous.

Ah man, that is tits. Pop top stuff seems like the perfect happy medium between having to camp in something that's too small, or having to make a god drat RV your daily driver. I've been lusting over one of the converted pop-top 80s Toyota Vans for years, but they're so god drat hard to find for a reasonable price, and god help you if you ever need parts for them these days.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Sorry: double post.

So I have a 4x8 harbor freight utility trailer, and I want it to be all it can be, and also I'm sick of camping in the back of my Prius because my girlfriend gets claustrophobic.

But I also have to sometimes use it to haul this to the desert:

Or my motorcycle, or a couch or loving whatever.

so like, I want to make it into some kind of stupid teardrop/toyhauler, but it still needs to be light enough that my Prius can continue to tow it without auto-summoning someone from Toyota to hunt me down and shoot me in the face for being an idiot.

Also, I have not a lot of money, but a lot of free time (am actor), and a lot of friends with welding equipment, and a city where people give away building materials on Craigslist all the time.

So on a scale of sort of stupid to Real Stupid, how realistic is my Groverdrop aspiration?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is that really your scooter because if so I'll pay you to be my friend and you can give up your dream of being a dumb gay actor

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you want crazy-light and cheap, just get plywood for the floor, carpet over that, and for the walls/ceiling get a few 4x8 sheets of Coroplast: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385

It won't support a load on the roof but done correctly it'll put up with any crosswinds, and it's 100% weatherproof.

This guy made one so light that he tows it with his bicycle: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul...ost-under-150-2

Edit: This is a more pro-looking one with wood and sheet metal, but much heavier: https://imgur.com/a/6Neck

Edit 2: I know you said you have the 4x8 Harbor Freight special, it is perfectly good, but if you have money to spare, this aluminum trailer is a foot wider and more than 50lbs lighter: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660344_200660344

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 28, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a growing trend to build what are called "foamies", teardrops built with extruded polystyrene walls skinned with fabric, attached with wood glue and painted over with exterior latex. Embed wood inserts in the foam before skinning and you've got hard attachment points. I'd go that route as people have built 4x8s that are so trivially light you can easily unbolt and dismount the body from the frame with 2 minutes work.

E: all the info here: http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That seems smart, and the insulation would be fantastic, but I don't get why you wouldn't use fiberglass and epoxy instead of canvas and wood glue at that point; I'm pretty sure it's around the same price and would be even lighter/stronger.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

jonathan posted:

Is that really your scooter because if so I'll pay you to be my friend and you can give up your dream of being a dumb gay actor

I can do both, and yeah I built that with a friend over a couple of weekends for Wasteland Weekend, because I really wanted to be a Waterworld enthusiast in the desert.

Zero VGS posted:

If you want crazy-light and cheap, just get plywood for the floor, carpet over that, and for the walls/ceiling get a few 4x8 sheets of Coroplast: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385

It won't support a load on the roof but done correctly it'll put up with any crosswinds, and it's 100% weatherproof.

This guy made one so light that he tows it with his bicycle: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul...ost-under-150-2

Edit: This is a more pro-looking one with wood and sheet metal, but much heavier: https://imgur.com/a/6Neck

Edit 2: I know you said you have the 4x8 Harbor Freight special, it is perfectly good, but if you have money to spare, this aluminum trailer is a foot wider and more than 50lbs lighter: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660344_200660344

Yeah, coroplast is definitely one of the more promising materials for this project. I'm gonna stick with the trailer I have because buying a second trailer seems kind of insane, and also straight LOL @ paying another 400 dollars to save 50 pounds.

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's a growing trend to build what are called "foamies", teardrops built with extruded polystyrene walls skinned with fabric, attached with wood glue and painted over with exterior latex. Embed wood inserts in the foam before skinning and you've got hard attachment points. I'd go that route as people have built 4x8s that are so trivially light you can easily unbolt and dismount the body from the frame with 2 minutes work.

E: all the info here: http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research into doing a foamie, and that might be the way to go, if those materials fall into my lap sooner than the others.

I think my major concern is having it be tall enough to fit my scooter, but short enough that it won't kill my Prius trying to tow it on the freeway. I'm considering a clever folding design so it breaks down into a smallish package that fits in the Prius's airstream.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chopsy posted:

I think my major concern is having it be tall enough to fit my scooter, but short enough that it won't kill my Prius trying to tow it on the freeway. I'm considering a clever folding design so it breaks down into a smallish package that fits in the Prius's airstream.
Do you need it to be a camper and haul the scooter at the same time? If not, you may have missed this line:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd go that route as people have built 4x8s that are so trivially light you can easily unbolt and dismount the body from the frame with 2 minutes work.

Basically you end up with what amounts to a camper shell for a utility trailer.

I've been looking in to doing one of these for basically the same reason, wanting something better than a tent that I can still tow behind a Fiesta, and then as a side benefit having a utility trailer I can use to not have to rent trucks as often.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

wolrah posted:

Do you need it to be a camper and haul the scooter at the same time? If not, you may have missed this line:

Oh, I def want to have both at the same time, because usually when I'm hauling the scoot/jetskeeter/adv bike, I'm also going camping. Also because it makes it a much more interesting engineering challenge.

quote:

Basically you end up with what amounts to a camper shell for a utility trailer.

I've been looking in to doing one of these for basically the same reason, wanting something better than a tent that I can still tow behind a Fiesta, and then as a side benefit having a utility trailer I can use to not have to rent trucks as often.

Sup, hilariously underpowered buddy! We should collaborate on a teardrop thread, then!

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zero VGS posted:

That seems smart, and the insulation would be fantastic, but I don't get why you wouldn't use fiberglass and epoxy instead of canvas and wood glue at that point; I'm pretty sure it's around the same price and would be even lighter/stronger.

Paint and canvas is referred to as the poor man's fibreglass but as you rightly point out it can be cheaper to actually fibreglass when you count the cost of litres of titebond. I think it's because people are a bit scared of fibreglass but paint and fabric sounds (and is) really easy to work with.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
One other thing, situate the blunt wall of the teardrop as close as you possibly can to the rear of the Prius and still be able to maneuver; it apparently makes a significant difference on drag:

You can also use coroplast or corrugated polycarbonate (you can get that at Home Depot, it's used for greenhouses, and is transparent as opposed to coroplast) to make a kammback for the rear of the Prius to help close the gap.

If you used 3M VHB tape with the proper primer and a lot of surface area, it'd practically weld the coroplast to the car, and it'd put up with highway speeds, though you might want to rivet on a couple eyelets and tie it with Dyneema line just to make sure it doesn't fly off and hit someone.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Please do this Chopsy and post updates! Love this thread and would love to follow your project. Best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chopsy posted:

Oh, I def want to have both at the same time, because usually when I'm hauling the scoot/jetskeeter/adv bike, I'm also going camping. Also because it makes it a much more interesting engineering challenge.
Ah, then yeah if you're looking to use the trailer you already have it'll certainly be a fun challenge. I'd probably just be lazy and get a larger trailer so I could leave some of the utility deck open if I had the same goal.

quote:

Sup, hilariously underpowered buddy! We should collaborate on a teardrop thread, then!
Haha, I actually have plenty of power (ST model) but I figure with no official tow rating that lighter is better.

I won't likely be doing anything along these lines for another year or so, but count me as another that'd be interested in a project thread that could maybe morph in to a general teardrop thread over time.

• Locked thread