Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

sebmojo posted:

Didn't TheDemon hold off two foes for like thirty turns in one of his games?

If I'm not mistaken it was one of the LP games, and I THINK they later went on to win it after everyone else had exhausted their resources and/or patience, or at least outlasted several of the other players. The two players were numerically slightly superior and had TheDemon pinched in, but ended up not being able to overcome better strategy and movement traps at the chokepoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

Yes, but he's TheDemon and I am emphatically not.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

The Protection Of Geryon is a unique contract that will drag the killer of the bearer of the contract straight to hell so long as Geryon is in hell.

The Demon of Fraud writes contracts?

Wait what am I saying, of course he does.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

https://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

This is also TurkeyLP.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Geryon's at his most powerful when stationed in province 419

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

If I'm not mistaken it was one of the LP games, and I THINK they later went on to win it after everyone else had exhausted their resources and/or patience, or at least outlasted several of the other players. The two players were numerically slightly superior and had TheDemon pinched in, but ended up not being able to overcome better strategy and movement traps at the chokepoints.

Nah, Hinnom eventually wore down the Demon and went on to win the game. The Demon had a brief reprieve when everyone banded together to take down the Queen of Turkeys, but builds character came back to finish the job.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

sullat posted:

Nah, Hinnom eventually wore down the Demon and went on to win the game. The Demon had a brief reprieve when everyone banded together to take down the Queen of Turkeys, but builds character came back to finish the job.

Yeah, I was wrong about this sequence of events too; what happened was that three different nations teamed up against TheDemon and he fought them off for ages and ages - unable to expand but able to survive, which in Dominions ain't nothin' - and builds character was able to convince three consecutive Sauromatia players to just keep on pouring their resources into the meat grinder while he ate easier meals until he got big enough to bring out the big guns.

It was actually a really good example of how diplomancy is the most powerful school of Dominions Magic, because if any of the people who subbed in for Sauro had said "mmm, nah, I have better things to do" I'm pretty sure builds' Hinnom would have had a pretty hard time keeping TheDemon from breaking out, especially after TC said "gently caress the meatgrinder I'mma go do my own thing" and was promptly branded a traitor.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I will forever love that LP just for how hilarious Turkey Force was and I always use it as a way to explain to people how loving wacky these games can get.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly at this point I think someone is going to try and eat Libluini, then things will go tits up as the gears start grinding from the other nations.

Or Gath ticks off Pan and causes a war.

But my vote is on Libluini.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So we know a good deal about HAU's endgame plans (vampire hordes) and Bogarus' (air communions) but have we seen any lategame magic usage out of Pan? I can't recall them really doing much except throwing hordes of minotaurs in platemail at people.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

President Ark posted:

So we know a good deal about HAU's endgame plans (vampire hordes) and Bogarus' (air communions) but have we seen any lategame magic usage out of Pan? I can't recall them really doing much except throwing hordes of minotaurs in platemail at people.

Hordes of minotaurs buffed with army wide alteration?

Dryads for assassin work, satyr forces for revelry and province sniping?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bogarus has mages with Astral and Blood. Their endgame is Horrors.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Horror marks do seem like a fairly hard counter to endlessly respawning immortals.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Honestly at this point I think someone is going to try and eat Libluini, then things will go tits up as the gears start grinding from the other nations.

Or Gath ticks off Pan and causes a war.

But my vote is on Libluini.

:allears:

Speculation like this is why I love this thread so much.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm just sort of waiting for the moment when how are u caps those thrones and starts blood saccing with a vengeance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Green Intern posted:

I'm just sort of waiting for the moment when how are u caps those thrones and starts blood saccing with a vengeance.

THIS ISN'T EVEN A FRACTION OF MY TRUE POWER

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Green Intern posted:

Thing is, this is counterable. Pan and Bogarus can put 5-10 priests in every border province and temples in every province to more or less ensure that their domain stays in place. They won't be projecting dominion, but it's entirely possible to protect it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, this is counterable. Pan and Bogarus can put 5-10 priests in every border province and temples in every province to more or less ensure that their domain stays in place. They won't be projecting dominion, but it's entirely possible to protect it.

If their dominion crumbles in any provinces before they get that set up, though, or if something kills their priests, suddenly that province will be ripe for vampires to tear things up.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Is there any realistic counter to Horror spam? Wish for Armageddon a few times and starve them of the slaves to cast it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I ride bikes all day posted:

Is there any realistic counter to Horror spam? Wish for Armageddon a few times and starve them of the slaves to cast it?

Forts. Horrors don't stick around to siege.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dirk the Average posted:

Forts. Horrors don't stick around to siege.

*Most of the time.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I remember taking out some immortal pretender gods with horror marks. Like a bog mummy and a lich. Seems like there would be too many vampires to really have an effect but I am probably wrong.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

If their dominion crumbles in any provinces before they get that set up, though, or if something kills their priests, suddenly that province will be ripe for vampires to tear things up.

This sounds like a fun game idea. Protect the priests or else other worldly horrors come to tear poo poo up and you need to skedaddle elsewhere.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 76

Turn 76 begins with hitting Construction 7. Construction 7 gives access to a handful of cool spells including one that lets you summon mechanical soldiers, one that buffs units’ weapons to be armor negating in battle, and a global that helps you forge things easier and more cheaply. What we want, however, are Golems, and we will now be summoning one 30 Pearl Golem a turn probably forever. We’re going to make a pack of Golems and smash poo poo with them.

You can see that one of our Kohen Gadol has teleported! That’s not crazy, we’ve used Teleport to move Kohen Gadol around very quickly for a while now. What is interesting is why I teleported the Kohen Gadol and to where. I’ve sent several of them to Bahguloth, close to our Western Pangaean and Bogarussian border. We’re building a Horror Seed squad, and here’s one of the bad dudes on it:

Bahguloth, on the Bogarussian border, is about to become ground zero for some Very Nasty magic...

And guys like this will be the ones doing it.

It is really expensive to forge the boosters required to get our S2 random Kohen Gadol up to S5B4. They need Astral boosters (Starshine Skullcap - 10S, Crystal Coin - 10E 10S), a Blood booster (Atheme - 25 Blood Slaves), a Ring of Sorcery which boosts both Astral and Blood (70S). Then they get + Penetration items to help punch through high enemy Magic Resistance (Rune Smasher - 10W 10F, Spell Focus - 10S). That's 130 gems and 25 slaves worth of gear! Now, however, they’ll be able to fire off one of the most interesting spells in the game.

I have wanted to try using this spell for literally years, it is so intriguing!

Since this game is running so long I think it’ll be well worth it to Horror Seed-up a bunch of enemy provinces. Here are a couple of candidates based on our current scouting:

Bane Lord thug factory??

It looks like Bogarus is mass-producing Bane Lord thugs in Light Hills, and next door in the Throne province of Durland one of his Heliophagi is sitting around. Good targets!

A cornucopia of powerful poo poo.

In Nom, Bogarus’ bullshit double discount-site province, we see Vampire Lords and more Heliophagi. Even better target!

Here in Scraw Point Pangaea is summoning a bunch of Ether Lords. Ether Lords are powerful Astral, Death, and Blood mages. Expensive, high level summons there, great targets. One of our Kohen Gadol is casting a Blood ritual in Bahguloth that will extend the range of any Blood rituals subsequently cast, so next turn we’ll be able to begin the Seeding!

One our Arch Devils cast Dome of Flaming Death over our Throne province of Scytha:

It’s a cool spell that will help deter remote ritual attack of the province. We’re casting the same spell over other Throne provinces, and we’ll probably cast some other Dome spells as well.

Meet Belial, our second Demon Lord:

The Flail of Misfortune is a pretty metal sounding weapon :rock:

Again, I’m not sure entirely sure what I’ll be using him for, but he has killer paths for casting certain battlefield spells. Better to have him than let our enemies do so!

We pinged the fort in Man’s capitol:

Ping!

Inside.

It looks very much like the defense in the fort of Thorn Woods, and honestly I think it won’t be too difficult to take at all.

Except we won’t. Last turn I predicted that Man’s Dominion must be really weak indeed, and it turns out it was. Man ends their game with a wimper, suffering an ignominious Dom-Death. Man’s player, ubaten, played well and hard, but this is kind of what often happens to an AI nation.

:rip:

Before we end this turn let’s talk a little about diplomacy. Things are shaking up in a big way. Bogarus’ player, Morrow, has come into some real world issues that are taking up his time and wants to step away from this game. One of the SA community’s better Dom4 players, Ramc, will likely be taking over the nation. Morrow hasn’t exactly been a terror in this game despite having a huge and powerful nation plus amazing discount sites and other things. No offense to Morrow, but he could have very possibly been sealing up his victory in this game by now. Ramc is an aggressive and extremely competent player, and so I think Bogarus is about to become very, very dangerous. I want to try to reach out to Pangaea and start up that anti-Bogarus alliance once again. With this new information, and with the departure of Morrow, I don’t really consider the secret anti-Pangaea defensive pact that we’d made to be in effect any more.

This could change everything, we’ll just have to see.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hans... are we the baddies?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
I assume you're using the fire dome because Bogarus has great mages that have basic human hp?

Horror Seed with Eyes of God is pretty neat. Speaking of that, have you managed to verify the terrifying luck dragonbird infestation?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

To prevent the enemy from using horrors against Gath, Gath must use horrors against the enemy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Nation of Gath is a Just and Honourable nation, and it's people are Kind and Benevolent of Heart. We just need a little more room in which to live, you see.

And everybody knows that Bogarussians are sub-human at best. Don't even get me started on literal half-men.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The point of firebird economy is to stuff all your forts with them. Given how many Bogarus forts we're seeing the contents of that DON'T have firebirds in them, I'm suspecting the player is not, in fact, running a firebird economy. I don't know why you wouldn't if you wanted to play Bogarus, and at this point in the game there's no real reason you shouldn't have one even if you weren't initially planning to, but there you go.

Also, Horror Seed is not a very good spell.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Green Intern posted:

To prevent the enemy from using horrors against Gath, Gath must use horrors against the enemy.

We need the Horrors over there, to prevent having the Horrors here.

Lord Koth posted:

Can you elaborate on why? I don't really play Dominions, just sort of follow these LPs, but it sounds like it might not really do anything unless the army you cast it into gets in a fight and the afflicted unit dies? In which case I could imagine it backfiring if you happen to be the one fighting them, and your forces are part of the mentioned "everything alive" that the unleashed Horror attacks.

I can also imagine some weird interactions with the concept of "when the unit dies" vis a vis vampires' immortality.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The point of firebird economy is to stuff all your forts with them. Given how many Bogarus forts we're seeing the contents of that DON'T have firebirds in them, I'm suspecting the player is not, in fact, running a firebird economy. I don't know why you wouldn't if you wanted to play Bogarus, and at this point in the game there's no real reason you shouldn't have one even if you weren't initially planning to, but there you go.

Isn't it broken? I seem to recall it doesn't actually do anything.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

How are u posted:

Before we end this turn let’s talk a little about diplomacy. Things are shaking up in a big way. Bogarus’ player, Morrow, has come into some real world issues that are taking up his time and wants to step away from this game. One of the SA community’s better Dom4 players, Ramc, will likely be taking over the nation. Morrow hasn’t exactly been a terror in this game despite having a huge and powerful nation plus amazing discount sites and other things. No offense to Morrow, but he could have very possibly been sealing up his victory in this game by now. Ramc is an aggressive and extremely competent player, and so I think Bogarus is about to become very, very dangerous. I want to try to reach out to Pangaea and start up that anti-Bogarus alliance once again. With this new information, and with the departure of Morrow, I don’t really consider the secret anti-Pangaea defensive pact that we’d made to be in effect any more.

:kheldragar:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm really curious how horror seed actually works too. It certainly sounds awesome.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

How are u posted:

... One of the SA community’s better Dom4 players, Ramc, will likely be taking over the nation. ...

He's going to win again quite shortly isn't he?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I hope horror seed does something really cool. It sounds like one of those spells that sounds awesome on paper but is totally impractical.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

ousire posted:

I hope horror seed does something really cool. It sounds like one of those spells that sounds awesome on paper but is totally impractical.

Consider that one can simply spam a bunch of horrors on a province for much less investment in items and slaves... Same effect but no waiting and wondering if the spell worked or not.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Has Ramc ever lost a game? I remember reading about the meteoric rise and no fall

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

We need the Horrors over there, to prevent having the Horrors here.

Can you elaborate on why? I don't really play Dominions, just sort of follow these LPs, but it sounds like it might not really do anything unless the army you cast it into gets in a fight and the afflicted unit dies? In which case I could imagine it backfiring if you happen to be the one fighting them, and your forces are part of the mentioned "everything alive" that the unleashed Horror attacks.

I can also imagine some weird interactions with the concept of "when the unit dies" vis a vis vampires' immortality.

Basically, it's an extremely gimmicky spell that requires rather high paths and you'd be better getting multiple mages up to S3B4 for Horror spam instead. And the effect is incredibly underwhelming - I've been seeded before, and while it's annoying, the effort to deal with it this late in the game is minimal. For one, it's possible to pick out potential hosts if you suspect you're being seeded, which means you can suicide them.

It's actual effect is it implants a random commander or troop in the target province with a "master" horror. Occasionally the master will seed other troops or commanders with what we'll call a parasitic horror. Parasitic horrors will on rare occasions blow up their hosts, which causes a province attack. I think the master horror can also just horror mark people occasionally too. Both these effects are not particularly fast or common, and have little impact in actual army movement (the master horror still functions fine as whatever unit it's seeded in). Finally, if the master horror's host is killed, you get a horror popping out. Note that horrors are (almost) never under any player's control, so released horrors will cheerfully attack either side.

To clarify, when I say master or parasitic, they can both be one of a number of different horrors, but I'm pretty certain neither can be the unique ones. As Send Horror is both cheaper in slaves, costs less paths, AND can randomly hit a province with a Doom Horror, it's generally the better spell in nearly all cases - along with being earlier on the research tree.

To elaborate on a different point (horrors sticking around), I think that only happens if horrors hit a province that has absolutely no troops in it, including PD. Or someone starts Wishing for Doom Horrors.

Crazycryodude posted:

Has Ramc ever lost a game? I remember reading about the meteoric rise and no fall

Ramc tried playing MA Ermor in a recent game. It didn't work out for him. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
With Belial causing Unrest and having some Stealth, it seems like he'd be ideal for sending spelunking into important enemy provinces. With those paths, if he's caught, he could probably give a decent accounting of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I've always liked Belial as just a troublemaker floating about enemy territory occasionally kidnapping commanders. He is quite good at what he does and he is not fun to have sitting in your territory.

• Locked thread