Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah ground effects isn't ever returning, one car punching through another car's skirt mid corner would be like the cork flying out of a champagne bottle. There's simply no way around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

boogity boogity boogity, let's go posting boys

The real problem is that the same people who complain about this formula complain about every single formula. They don't seem to live in reality and they don't have a single clue what it would entail to meet their requests. So you get bitching about the cars not looking cool enough, the cars not being fast enough, tires degrading too quickly, and now we have a high-aero formula with low, wide wings, and hard tires. And people complain that the cars can't follow closely or overtake or that there's no variation in strategy or that the field is too spread out, totally ignorant to the fact that this is the result of them getting what they wanted in a non-magical world.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

If you had being paying attention to this for even one second you would know that Brawn is working to improve overtaking within the current formula, which is a fundamentally different discussion than the one you are bitching about. Every single dang post you make itt is some new twist on oversimplifying a complicated subject so you have some reason to complain about progress not being made instantly.

Oh right, this time Ross will discover the secret formula for overtaking. I should have added that to my debate post.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

daslog posted:

Oh right, this time Ross will discover the secret formula for overtaking. I should have added that to my debate post.

What's the best era of F1?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
The secret is refuelling

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dubs posted:

The secret is refuelling

And what's the secret magic thing that will solve everything when that doesn't change everything?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Nah

Problem solved

It's the last solution needed

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

My dad took us to an F1 race at Lime Rock way back in the 1970's. I used to watch the reel to reel film that he took of the race when I was in Kindergarten. But I think 1985 to 1990 were the peak years for me. I think it helped that I was a teenager so I had more time to watch. I was a huge Alain Prost fan.

The internet didn't exist so F1 was truly amazing compared to everything else.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Norns posted:

My theory is that the best era of F1 is ten years before you started watching.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
2009 was the best era of f1

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Norns posted:

The no wings era

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah ground effects isn't ever returning, one car punching through another car's skirt mid corner would be like the cork flying out of a champagne bottle. There's simply no way around that.

Yes,

But we've got 40 odd years of aero development since the last time ground effect was a thing so I have reasonable confidence it could be engineered to be more stable now, and track and car designs are much safer now. The teams may not want it, but I do, and I don't know of any other way to have close racing in an aero formula.

It may never come back but that's a shame imo. I realize my opinion is probably an outlier. I'm the only one here who likes Bahrain, Singapore and Monaco. :shrug:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Read contemporary reviews of GE cars. Virtually everybody hated the way they drove.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Holy poo poo stop

Australia is poo poo for overtaking
Why don't we wait til the cars have done some laps on a circuit that would both allow it naturally AND have a setup that allows DRS to actually help??

This sample of one nonsense is dumb and anyone going "for sure this formula is bad" is literally retarded.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes,

But we've got 40 odd years of aero development since the last time ground effect was a thing so I have reasonable confidence it could be engineered to be more stable now, and track and car designs are much safer now. The teams may not want it, but I do, and I don't know of any other way to have close racing in an aero formula.

It may never come back but that's a shame imo. I realize my opinion is probably an outlier. I'm the only one here who likes Bahrain, Singapore and Monaco. :shrug:

No this is complete nonsense.

Watch a video of a car losing control with ground effects. There's no control, no ability to react. 100% of what was making the car go in a particular direction disappears and you have a 800kg projectile, nothing more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Read contemporary reviews of GE cars. Virtually everybody hated the way they drove.

Frank telling Jones to sit on his wallet was pretty funny though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

People have nostalgia for racing that never existed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

This is 100% the issue. Nearly everybody saying this type of racing is fine are all the posters who have actually sat through and seen what those old races were like. Everybody else thinks those races were Senna's opening lap in Donnington but for 72 straight laps and that has never happened and never will.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 2017:

Norns posted:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Bring back cryogenic fuels, that's what I say.

I know I posted about it a few pages ago but bootleg classic F1 on ustream is very relevant to this conversation. Currently showing Brands Hatch 1982, featuring cars with so much ground effect downforce they don't need front wings, the dawn of modern F1 pit stop strategy, and Keke Rosberg's magnificent mustache.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 29, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is 100% the issue. Nearly everybody saying this type of racing is fine are all the posters who have actually sat through and seen what those old races were like. Everybody else thinks those races were Senna's opening lap in Donnington but for 72 straight laps and that has never happened and never will.

Yep. The cars looked cooler and all they watched (or remember) are the highlights. Too many people forget cars breaking for random reasons, the leader pulling away and either winning or exploding, and think every race was wheel-to-wheel for the entirety.

I do miss engine failures, because nothing says "on the edge" quite like a massive failure of the combustion engine. I'm wondering if single-weekend engines would be a good balance to the rules set. You get penalized for going boom, but it doesn't penalize you on the season level.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

2004-2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8190t4mrbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewB0rU28Hks

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 29, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

This may be the dumbest idea ever, but I'm legitimately curious: would it make any sense to one day look at a system opposite of DRS to allow the cars to better follow in dirty air by increasing drag/downforce on demand? The driver could choose to sacrifice some pace for more stability at key points and/or for a limited time to set up the pass?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I am a huge fan of 1988 and that primarily consisted of the red and white cars vanishing into the distance and battles for 6th place.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

2000-2004

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

I am a huge fan of 1988 and that primarily consisted of the red and white cars vanishing into the distance and battles for 6th place.

88 was awesome. Finished that up a couple weeks ago.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wait i forgot this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepyD99iD3k

Torrented ITV was my introduction into f1 as an american, and i still have a special place in my heart for it. And this was my first full season. I absolutely saw the above video live and thought "wow im into this sport for life".

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 29, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Even I got bored here

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jamsque posted:

Bring back cryogenic fuels, that's what I say.

I know I posted about it a few pages ago but bootleg classic F1 on ustream is very relevant to this conversation. Currently showing Brands Hatch 1982, featuring cars with so much ground effect downforce they don't need front wings, the dawn of modern F1 pit stop strategy, and Keke Rosberg's magnificent mustache.

It's Germany 1982 right now (10:30pm Eastern), which has the first showing of the high speed pit stop. Target is 11 seconds, which is stated with some disbelief by Murray.

Typical pit stops are 35+ seconds up to this point. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wuffles posted:

This may be the dumbest idea ever, but I'm legitimately curious: would it make any sense to one day look at a system opposite of DRS to allow the cars to better follow in dirty air by increasing drag/downforce on demand? The driver could choose to sacrifice some pace for more stability at key points and/or for a limited time to set up the pass?

Double post here, but it's not the aero kit which is the direct problem, you can slipstream and get a decent tow, the issue is that the hot air from the car in front degrades your tires very quickly, overheats your brakes, and reduces engine power because it has less oxygen and gives less expansion when combusted.

This was present in older races, but tires were much longer lasting and engines were just less sensitive to hot, low oxygen air.

I do wonder if an aero design could be made to push hot air up off the track. Maybe terminating the exhaust above the rear spoiler, to mix it with fresh air and push it up a bit?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be honest alot of the issues in recent years was down to the way the Pirelli tyres degraded, how sensitive they were to heat and how unforgiving they were once you overcooked them. That Seb was able follow close enough to push Hamilton into an error is a fairly positive sign given in previous years he would've just backed off to four seconds back to save his own tires.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine we're going to see any more 2 stop races though, although that's less strategy for Ferrari to gently caress up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

To be honest alot of the issues in recent years was down to the way the Pirelli tyres degraded, how sensitive they were to heat and how unforgiving they were once you overcooked them. That Seb was able follow close enough to push Hamilton into an error is a fairly positive sign given in previous years he would've just backed off to four seconds back to save his own tires.

The tyres only working in a optimal temperature range gently caress us out of lot of potential good racing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

1934-39

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

And to be fair to Pirelli, that's because of the way F1 mandates the tires behave. They want to force pit stops without making a rule for them, so the tires degrade much more quickly than is needed at any given 'hardness' level. It makes for some odd results, like the soft being much stickier in cooler conditions than the ultra soft, and the super soft seemingly being obsolete this year.

There probably are tire compound setups that could reduce the 'following' problem, but I'm betting they'd also last an entire race, leading to no pit stops for most teams.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/846466262528131072

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Human Grand Prix posted:

...He can turn it on any time he wants but he's too old.

less of the 'old', bloody kids

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Anyone who thinks Australia 2017 was dull, should watch Australia 2000.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Lewis clearly loving seething that Rosberg is milking his 2016 title for all it's worth:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-vettel-a-bigger-challenge-than-rosberg-887383/

#TEAMLH #44 #BLESSED #STILLIRISE posted:

I think this year we're seeing the best drivers at the top.

:classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
To say that about someone that out-qualified you on more than one occasion, when there wasn't a drat thing wrong with either car, is a window into just how entitled and abhorrent LH really is. His kinda spaced out persona in Australia, talking quietly like he is loving levitating above us all is also infuriating. gently caress LH, great opponent for Ferrari to put in his place.

edit: Merc please give him everything he needs and more. Bill him as number 1. Design the tub around his rear end. Certainly make sure his engine holds together. Everything. I want LH to be clear that when he loses this WDC he can't blame the car again. I think if LH had to parse he might not be the best of all time he might just have a stroke and die

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread