Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
POE switches are the only way to fly these days. If you decide later to install security cameras, baby monitor, voip phones, etc, it's all ready to rock, no $5 burn-your-house-down injectors needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

emocrat posted:

This is a cool write up, but you should know that the setup he did there is way more intense (and expensive) than you likely need. Meaning, don't get put off by his reported cost or the more complex looking stuff. Unify setup in my house dead simple I spent a total of like $250.

echoing this. Troy hunt is a solid pro and thats way overkill unless you are a IT guy with a wifi fetish

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As an IT guy, I personal hate wifi but have accepted it as a necessary evil.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

couldcareless posted:

:smithfrog::respek::smith:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

couldcareless posted:

I mostly still do, but having ceiling mounted AP's that cover the entire house, I connect at 1000-1200mbps via wifi, and it's almost never an issue. I'll hardwire eventually still, but made it 6-7 months streaming 720p video over wifi without issue, running plex, etc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

couldcareless posted:

:same:

Wired is always superior to wireless, any day of the week

I'd recommend the 802.11ac Unifi Pro wireless access points over the lite. Been awhile since I looked at the spec sheets, but I believe they're 3x3 MIMO so they've got extra radios and can accommodate more clients simultaneously, which probably isn't a concern for the home user, but they're not that much more expensive so why not. I have two in my hundred year old lathe and plaster house, one for each story, and they're great, no more wireless issues. I also set up about twenty of them for my work while they occasionally wig out they've been pretty great overall. Lots of great supported functionality, couldn't be happier.

The point about the POE switch is a great one, especially for security stuff like cameras, sensors, and smoke alarms. What's the plan for all that? Did you get that stuff built into the walls, or are you going to have to add it on later?

E: vv They do all come with injectors, but if you're setting this up from scratch, what's another hundred bucks in between the cost of everything else? Injectors are clunky, and if you have a bunch of stuff it's a mess of wires and a separate power strip to accommodate them, etc.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 29, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It looks like the Unifi Pro also comes with a compatable PoE injector in the box if you didn't want to have to pony up and get a switch that has passive 48V built in.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Very anecdotal but one of the technology podcasts I listen to seems to recommend the EERO mesh network for the consumer level as another possible option

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Passive PoE just seems like a good way to send 12-48v through a device that wasn't designed for it on accident, potentially frying the device.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Passive PoE just seems like a good way to send 12-48v through a device that wasn't designed for it on accident, potentially frying the device.

Since this has turned into wifi chat...

The Ubiquiti AP's have switched to all using 802.3af/at (PoE and PoE+ respectively). Even the older UAP-AC-LITE use PoE now, UAP-AC-PRO always supported PoE, and the new UAP-AC-HD requires PoE+ (although it ran fine on my PoE switch). The new Ubiquiti 8 port switch only supports PoE/PoE+ now as well, no passive. So that's all good news.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Shouldn't matter: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/27756/why-are-ethernet-rj45-sockets-magnetically-coupled

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What is your bank? I want to avoid it like the plague.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Very anecdotal but one of the technology podcasts I listen to seems to recommend the EERO mesh network for the consumer level as another possible option

Eero sponsors all of those. It's not a recommendation, it's a paid endorsement.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Potato Salad posted:

What is your bank? I want to avoid it like the plague.

Digital Federal Credit Union

We've used them for a mortgage, and they've been great for that. I think construction is just something they don't do a lot of.

The day we've all been waiting for...

A bunch of boring doors are in too:

Unfortunately, he put 3 of the doors swinging in the wrong direction. Just asked him to fix two of them, and not even a grumble, said he'd get it done.

Garage floor being poured as I type.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Eero sponsors all of those. It's not a recommendation, it's a paid endorsement.

That is true they are a sponsor, but I still trust the source (TWIT) as he's tried most of the mesh networks (Plume, google wifi, etc) and generally very fair with honest reviews.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

The day we've all been waiting for...

I kind of wish I didn't know what it was because the casing just screams to me "door!" If I didn't know I wonder if I'd perceive it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

xwing posted:

I kind of wish I didn't know what it was because the casing just screams to me "door!" If I didn't know I wonder if I'd perceive it.

I'm hoping it'll be less noticeable once it's all painted the same color.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a set of built-in bookshelves that uses the same casing around it as all the doors in the room, and it doesn't look out of place at all.

Granted, the shelves are probably close to 3x as long as the ones Gounads has, but it shouldn't stand out at all once painted.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a set of built-in bookshelves that uses the same casing around it as all the doors in the room, and it doesn't look out of place at all.

Granted, the shelves are probably close to 3x as long as the ones Gounads has, but it shouldn't stand out at all once painted.

Have you tried opening it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think how you dress up the wall around the false door is what will sell it more than anything. If it's the only thing there, and worse, there's just a switch next to it, it's pretty easy to distinguish.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

That is true they are a sponsor, but I still trust the source (TWIT) as he's tried most of the mesh networks (Plume, google wifi, etc) and generally very fair with honest reviews.

Not to derail too hard, but if you can hardwire your access points, you'll run into a lot less interference and not eat up so many channels connecting access points to one another, especially if you're already in a crowded rf spectrum (which is only getting worse over time). Mesh is great for retrofitting old apartment buildings and stuff where it's drat near impossible to run new wire, but not at all what I'd recommend for a new build, or even an existing home. Even if you use mesh APs, you still need power, and low voltage poe plenum cabling is a lot easier to install than new household 120v AC wiring.

So what's the plan for wireless access points, Gounads? You have any drops in the ceiling you can use to install them? How about home security sensor wiring, what did you wind up up deciding for that?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've got cat5 to all the bedrooms, living room, studio space, and downstairs playroom. So mesh isn't a requirement. There won't be much interference since there aren't many nearby houses. No cables in ceiling. Overall, it should be fine.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
And... electric company is ignoring all contact again.

So no heat.
So plaster STILL hasn't entirely dried.
So we can't paint or put flooring in.

Top that off with snow today.

My confidence in being done in April is waning.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

Have you tried opening it?

Now that you mention it....

I don't think it would go well for the drywall on the other side of the wall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gounads posted:

I've got cat5 to all the bedrooms, living room, studio space, and downstairs playroom. So mesh isn't a requirement. There won't be much interference since there aren't many nearby houses. No cables in ceiling. Overall, it should be fine.

Why not Cat6 or at the very least Cat5e? You need that for a reliable GigE network.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

flosofl posted:

Why not Cat6 or at the very least Cat5e? You need that for a reliable GigE network.

It is 5e. I don't think you can easily buy straight-up cat5 anymore.

The strand going to the studio space is 6, no idea why since the length is well under 100m. Maybe something to do with going through unconditioned space.

The electrician seemed to know what he was doing. Kept it away from electrical runs. All the bends had gradual radius with plastic guides.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gounads posted:

It is 5e. I don't think you can easily buy straight-up cat5 anymore.

The strand going to the studio space is 6, no idea why since the length is well under 100m. Maybe something to do with going through unconditioned space.

The electrician seemed to know what he was doing. Kept it away from electrical runs. All the bends had gradual radius with plastic guides.

Sweet. No idea about why the cat6 for just the studio, either (however if it's under 54m, you can do 10Gbit on it).

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Went over yesterday afternoon. Some plaster still isn't dry. I'm guessing because cold wet days outside + not opening windows to let moisture out. There is visible condensation here and there. It was nice outside so I opened every window and door for an hour to help air it out.

Garage floor cement looks nice.

Baseboard trim is nearly complete.

Small puddle in basement. Looks like it seeped in where the water line comes through. It's really wet at the site and all the water from the driveway currently ends up against the house. There were foot deep tire ruts in the mud where someone must have gotten stuck.

The stove place credited me $1200 because they didn't need all the chimney parts they ordered.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What if anything is your plan for running water away from your foundation?

Growing up, my mother and I double-dug rose bushes. Moved once a year or every two years, but we still did it because. Somewhere around the late 1980s/early 1990s, I'm removing rocky virginia soil with a mattock and *crack*, a popping sound that used to be a slitted pvc pipe installed for drainage. Didn't tell anyone, covered it back up, and to my memory that house always had a musty damp basement. Been particularly careful about drainage since.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Concrete foundations really have a lot of moisture in them when new. A lot of problems with mold in houses and crappy indoor air have been traced to people (construction companies really) being too cheap and in too much of a hurry to wait and not drying it good and long enough.

That short term thinking might lead to long term problems for the occupants.This is why we waited for 4+ months with the floor heating on and dehumifidiers running before installing any non-permeable layers over the concrete in places such as bathrooms. Our house company wanted us to move faster but that's the greed talking and we told them to wait until the meters said it was down to 80% humidity.

This is also why it's super important to have the immediate area around the house foundation well drained. Infact the whole site should be built so the house is the highest point and the whole yard slightly slopes downwards from it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 4, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Potato Salad posted:

What if anything is your plan for running water away from your foundation?

There's a full perimeter drain around the base of the exterior basement that gravity drains to daylight.
The gutters drain into a drywell.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Composite decking arrived, this is called Spiced Rum and it looks great.

Photo dump from yesterday:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Thanks for the photos, been loving reading through this thread and following your progress.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Gounads posted:

Photo dump from yesterday:

Does the foundation waterproofing have to be up to the ground level? I know from that earlier pic that there's some but those pics show moisture from the ground level making the above ground part wet

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Jusupov posted:

Does the foundation waterproofing have to be up to the ground level? I know from that earlier pic that there's some but those pics show moisture from the ground level making the above ground part wet

I don't think it's required above grade, usually there is something that is added, some sort of mortar board or vinyl (rolled) product, but that's usually just for looks.

In other questions:
Two furnaces? Or HE water heater? I see two sets of intake/exhaust pipes back there.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

In other questions:
Two furnaces? Or HE water heater? I see two sets of intake/exhaust pipes back there.

Two furnaces, one for upstairs, one downstairs. Supposedly it's more efficient. I had never heard of that before.

No idea on waterproofing, my current house has exposed concrete touching dirt.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
What do you guys think about cutting off the tops of the floor joists in the bathroom so I can sink the shower down two inches and install gravel around it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gounads posted:

What do you guys think about cutting off the tops of the floor joists in the bathroom so I can sink the shower down two inches and install gravel around it?

I wouldnt do that or some fuckwit may dox you and report you to the fun police

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gounads posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gounads posted:

:perfect:

• Locked thread