Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I some times leave the motor running with the gearbox in neutral because the oil viscosity is just enough to turn the rear wheel at a leisurely pace when on the paddock stand. I still don't put my fingers anywhere near the sprockets, but it's handy to have the wheel turn itself slowly while spraying the chain with degreaser and lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I too have been guilty of cleaning my chain in first gear. But I do it with a long handled brush rather than a rag. I find the rear wheel spinning helps fling off the garbage that gets loosened up by the brush.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You can't just put it in neutral and spin the wheel by hand? Isn't the common advice to clean it after warming the chain up so that it cleans easier?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

You can't just put it in neutral and spin the wheel by hand? Isn't the common advice to clean it after warming the chain up so that it cleans easier?

I find the chain cleans way easier with the rear wheel running backwards, anyway - rolling it forwards means all the poo poo you've just loosened up gets ground back in by the sprockets.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

...?

You put the bike on a rear stand and then start it and hold a cloth to it while the engine turns it.

It's as dumb as it sounds

Forgot about the whole rear stand thing, I surely don't clean my bike by cleaning a section a chain, pushing the bike forward a bit, cleaning another section, pushing it forward...

I did finally get some spools and a rear stand though, but I haven't used them yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It takes like 5 minutes to fully clean/oil a chain just turning the wheel by hand. Don't run the engine and risk your fingers to save 2 minutes of that :psyduck:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

It takes like 5 minutes to fully clean/oil a chain just turning the wheel by hand. Don't run the engine and risk your fingers to save 2 minutes of that :psyduck:

gently caress you man, how am I supposed to watch all these youtubes if i don't save that time

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Z3n posted:

gently caress you man, how am I supposed to watch all these youtubes if i don't save that time

And how would we have time to shitpost?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I clean my chain in gear, but I have one of my kids randomly playing with the throttle to keep me on my toes. Don't want to get complacent about safety.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The roles should be reversed. Kids gotta grow up and learn some time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Fire hot. Sprocket sharp.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I broke a brand-new chain brush cleaning the chain on the SV with it in gear.

I already did the incredibly stupid thing with a bicycle and came away with a mangled thumb, so I've learned that particular lesson :downs:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

I already did the incredibly stupid thing with a bicycle and came away with a mangled thumb, so I've learned that particular lesson :downs:

Apparently you did not.

I did it that way a few times when I started out, but found it to be less hassle to just do things manually.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

So I guess the answer to "who is dumb enough to clean the chain with the bike in gear?" Is my family and goons.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
LPT: Get the small HF paint sprayer and fill it with kerosene. Put a tray under the bike to catch the gunk. Finish with Maxima chain cleaner to get the last little bits.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

revmoo posted:

LPT: Get the small HF paint sprayer and fill it with kerosene. Put a tray under the bike to catch the gunk. Finish with Maxima chain cleaner to get the last little bits.

LPT (lazy pro tip): just spray more lube over the old gunk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LPT:CE (Championship Edition)

Don't do chain maintenance

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This has the makings of one of those mind expansion memes

-edit- I am a terrible human being

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 29, 2017

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

LPT (lazy pro tip): just spray more lube over the old gunk.

This has been my elite personal choice for the past 15 years. P.S. use gear oil and never clean your rear wheel for the cool blacked-out look that's more easily reversible than plastidip, maybe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

My man

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Finger Prince posted:

Yes

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

:aaaaa:

Chain chat question-
I try to clean and lube my chain after any time I jump off road, or bomb down a random gravel road. My chain is a DID oring chain. Am I being too attententive? Can I just leave it, or will the sand or dust get all up ins and wreck my chain asap?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Everything is always broken, and if it's not broken it's too loving slow.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Manufacturers usually recommend chain maintenance every 500 miles. I suppose that this number arrives at the intersection of "satisfies owner's patience", "appreciable chain wear", and "we'll sell them a new chain eventually?" When you attend to chains after every ride, especially under the conditions that you describe, they can last the life of the bike. Most people just can't be assed with cleaning the chain after every ride, and the manufacturers recognize that in their chain maintenance interval.

Some old bikes (before the 80s and 70s) used to have enclosed chain drives with an oil bath, which was probably an effort at extending chain life before non-o-ring chains.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

:aaaaa:

Chain chat question-
I try to clean and lube my chain after any time I jump off road, or bomb down a random gravel road. My chain is a DID oring chain. Am I being too attententive? Can I just leave it, or will the sand or dust get all up ins and wreck my chain asap?

Sand=clean it
Dust=lol no

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cleaning a chain really isn't that hard and you can get a shitload of miles out of a good one if you keep it nice, jus sayin

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Yerok posted:

Everything is always broken, and if it's not broken it's too loving slow.

agreed

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Speaking of chains; mine came off on the way home tonight. Well, when I say "came off" what I really mean is "the countershaft nut decided it didn't want to be attached anymore and rolled off to freedom."
I was oddly calm when I reved the engine and nothing happened at the rear wheel. I threw on the hazards and rolled onto the median. I'm glad I put the tool kit back on the bike last week, otherwise I'd have been calling a tow truck to an interchange in Portland.
Luckily, I was able to get the sprocket back on the splines. Kept the bike in second gear and rolled through downtown then the remaining fiveish miles home at about 25mph.
After looking online, it looks like this has happened to a few folks before- there's no lock washer from the factory, so people don't think about getting one when they replace the sprocket. I've hopefully got the right one on order along with a lock washer. Already have blue loctite in the garage.
For anyone who knows Portland, it happened in that tunnel where 26 splits to 405 N/S and Market St. I was on the median between 405 N and Market.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

lomarf :chome:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

You beautiful bastard.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

Apparently you did not.

I did it that way a few times when I started out, but found it to be less hassle to just do things manually.

Oh I fuckin learned. I mean, I wasn't using my hand and a rag. $10 plastic chain brush? No biggie.

Edit: :nms: https://i.imgur.com/qPow9jo.png

The real dark spot is the void created when the sprocket punched into the nailbed of my thumb.

A year later I still have a daily reminder of why you don't do dumb poo poo with rags and spinny things: https://i.imgur.com/VZIsjBt.png

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 29, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beach Bum posted:

A year later I still have a daily reminder of why you don't do dumb poo poo with rags and spinny things: https://i.imgur.com/VZIsjBt.png
My big toe looks like that. Apparently you should try to avoid rolling over your toes with a pallet jack full of cased paper. Nail came off completely, and the pictures (if you want them) look similar to what you showed.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

Hahaha

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Someday I'd like to work on a bike for someone where I can just say "hey rear end in a top hat all your poo poo is broken and I'm just gonna rebuild everything, cool? ok." Yes your crank seals are bad yes that means your crank bearings are bad too yes you need a bore no I don't care how few miles are on it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"Chain?" Because they still use pushrods

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mods please set that to the forum background image

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Finally bought a gold visor and it is amazing*! :swoon:

*amazingly easy to scratch in one loving day! :unsmigghh:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please don't summon them, keep Cycle Asylum free.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't think the new AI mod ever comes here. If people refrain from the report buttan we should become self-governing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I don't think the new AI mod ever comes here. If people refrain from the report buttan we should become self-governing.

I'm almost tempted to call you the "f-word" again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Finally bought a gold visor and it is amazing*! :swoon:

*amazingly easy to scratch in one loving day! :unsmigghh:

There is no such thing as an unscratched yellow visor. It's like they come pre-scratched from the factory. Sort of like how tan cars always smell like cigarettes and biscuits.