Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lelandjs posted:

Docked my Switch for a sec to test Snake Pass and woah it's a marked improvement. 1080p as far as I can tell and better shadows. The graphical uptick took a second and it fell like putting my glasses on. Ridiculous.

Which is too bad, because Snake Pass seems like a great game to play in portable mode.

That's weird. I didn't expect any Switch games to run better on the TV. Maybe they gimped it on handheld due to battery issues? I don't understand how that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Is it just me or does the rumble on the joycons and pro controller feel really weak? Or is it just Zelda that has really subtle rumble?

And also what's the word on Fast RMX for someone who kinda sucked at F-Zero GX?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

trash person posted:

Thanks for the heads up. My son decided he has a burning desire to play 1-2 Switch so this is good timing!

Dumb question what is the current time CST. So I know what time to look out for tomorrow.

Right now it's 9:45pm Central.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Til neogaf is garbage

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I bet if I smoked pot I would spend hours just slithering around pointlessly. It's very transfixing even while sober.

I couldn't resist picking it up for a chill game for this exact reason. I've spent more than my fair share of time practicing getting used to the controls trying to wind around bamboo posts. So far it seems the fun and challenge of the game comes from actually controlling your noodle and getting it to do what you want.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Til neogaf is garbage

Today?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If it weren't for this thread, and in particular the negative nancies, I would have never known a forum called neogaf existed and I would have been better off for it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just played the first level of Snake Pass and the framerate was fine. Definitely looked sub 720p but it looked fine.

However after doing one level it says completion percentage was 6% which, uh, doesn't bode well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If it weren't for this thread, and in particular the negative nancies, I would have never known a forum called neogaf existed and I would have been better off for it

Neogaf, like many things, used to be good back-in-the-day when it was frequented by a lot of devs and was a pretty chill place with lots of insider info, leaks, etc.

These days... yeaaaaah not so much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Is it just me or does the rumble on the joycons and pro controller feel really weak? Or is it just Zelda that has really subtle rumble?

And also what's the word on Fast RMX for someone who kinda sucked at F-Zero GX?

It's somewhat subtle. It feels more intense to me in Puyo Puyo Tetris of all things.

Fast Racing RMX actually feels even harder to me than F-Zero GX but it's still manageable on lower difficulties and the game owns for being only $20. It even has the same announcer as GX too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This. I've been playing MMOs pretty hard the last 10 years and kinda stopped following gaming until the Wii u of all things. So I missed a lot of little things like what sites are full of idiots (all of them)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only good thing about neogaf, other than the occasional correct leak, is those retro megathreads. There was a good GBA one that I learned about a lot of overlooked gems from.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Infinitum posted:

Neogaf, like many things, used to be good back-in-the-day when it was frequented by a lot of devs and was a pretty chill place with lots of insider info, leaks, etc.

These days... yeaaaaah not so much.

It's surprising considering it's harder to get an account there than it is to buy a gun in most states.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

parallelodad posted:

@Mario__Bones: THERE we go
http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/03/28/wb-comments-on-lego-city-undercover-switch-download https://twitter.com/Mario__Bones/status/846903073901490177/photo/1

The whole thing was Neogaf exploding over loving nothing and then the rest of the internet going copying them, as per usual.

It's better that they did. Now companies know how much poo poo they will get if they try to cheap out on cartridges.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Still willing to bet there's a 13 gig day one patch that's mandatory past a tutorial level

LethalGeek posted:

Til neogaf is garbage

So is WB games, I wouldn't be shocked if Empress Brosephine is right.

With all the accessories I want to get (case, screen protector, 2nd ac adaptor), the current release schedule isn't bad. (at least for my wallet.)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zelda doesn't go hard on the rumble. That said, the pro controller rumble is kind of weak, whereas there are parts of Fast RMX where the joycons feel like they're trying to wiggle out of my hands!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

How are you controlling him without losing your mind?

Think like a snake, bro.

This isn't a platformer where you play as a snake, it's a snake simulator where you do platformy things. They changed some things in order to make it easier to play but that's basically what it is. The "move forward" button doesn't really move you forward, it straightens you out like how a real snake moves. Keep that and how important points of contact are in mind and you're golden.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The rumble in 🐍 pass is cute. You feel the things you eat go down the controller as it goes down the length of Noodle's body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Switch needs more demos considering you can't get refunds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh you can get a refund. You just have to know what grocery store Bill Trinen shops at.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean, the iTunes Store "doesn't give refunds" either but one time I had a problem with a movie rental and they gave me a refund.

The "no refunds" policy is a good one designed to keep people from taking advantage of the system.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

rear end game, runs like rear end, makes sense

Game is awesome. Switch port is bad.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Yeeeah I'm still gonna hold onto they're doing a vague PR ballet that the game is technically playable with the cart as is, it will just require a "content update" to go past the first or so area.

And yes, the Switch definitely needs more demos to give people a taste of what's on the system. So far, Snipperclips is pretty much the only game with a demo on the entire store. (And technically the Splatoon 2 testfire, but that isn't a conventional demo.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

And yes, the Switch definitely needs more demos to give people a taste of what's on the system. So far, Snipperclips is pretty much the only game with a demo on the entire store. (And technically the Splatoon 2 testfire, but that isn't a conventional demo.)

The Switch eShop feels so cold and sterile compared to the Wii U eShop. I wonder if they are going to show a Miiverse replacement when they announce their online service. The system is great so far but it'd be nice if it had a little more personality in the menus.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeeeah I'm still gonna hold onto they're doing a vague PR ballet that the game is technically playable with the cart as is, it will just require a "content update" to go past the first or so area.

"Players who purchase the physical version are getting the complete game and do not need to download any additional content in order to get the full experience."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

One interesting thing I heard in a podcast recently was a conversation about the Switch's phone app and potential services it could provide. They talked about how they liked Streetpass on the 3DS, and that since modern smartphones have the capability for apps with Streetpass-like capabilities, they could add it to the application. I'm not sure I have seen any other phone apps take advantage of that capability.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Spacebump posted:

The Switch eShop feels so cold and sterile compared to the Wii U eShop. I wonder if they are going to show a Miiverse replacement when they announce their online service. The system is great so far but it'd be nice if it had a little more personality in the menus.

If anything, rolling out the paid service should be the perfect time to roll out miiverse or whatever may replace it. Feels kinda dead without it, would have all these posts, great random art, and just general interactions going on around you. Certainly added to the atmosphere of Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X for sure.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I like how putting a solid four hours into a game on the switch (Voez I play in short bursts, shovel knight when I'm bored of Zelda, and Snipperclips if a friend is around) just shows it as "a few minutes" on playtime.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Also you fuckers keep talking about games but I've only beaten Zelda and it isn't even 120 shrines yet, I refuse to make the same mistake I did with steam years ago and horde a backlog.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

parallelodad posted:

"Players who purchase the physical version are getting the complete game and do not need to download any additional content in order to get the full experience."

I remember when Ed Boon said all the Injustice DLC was coming to the Wii U version. (A WB games release.) It didn't. Hopefully they aren't lying here but if so, it wouldn't be the first time someone from WB games lied.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 29, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Top games for the nintendo switch: Neo Geo Turf Masters, Zelda

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Til neogaf is garbage

Did you just learn about neogaf today?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Norns posted:

Top games for the nintendo switch: Neo Geo Turf Masters, Zelda

Did your keyboard stop functioning before you could type "Snipperclips"?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My wife has been to busy doing adult poo poo for money to play with me =/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Norns posted:

My wife has been to busy doing adult poo poo for money to play with me =/

She could stream Snipperclips for money instead.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I knew that was coming

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I've played a bit of Snake Pass on portable (haven't docked it yet). It definitely has some antialiasing problems and overall things that aren't the snake are a little blurry.

The gameplay is really fun, and I think if it more as a physics-based puzzler (find a way to get the things) and less of a platformer. I haven't encountered any enemies yet, and I'm okay with a chill snakegame.

Honestly seems like a good game to play with a drink or two or some weed.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

snake game is really good it makes me want to be a snake and slither around on my stomach

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Snake Pass running poorly on handheld mode is a real bummer, it seems like the perfect game to relax and curl up on the couch with. What are the odds that it gets patched?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

With the rumors of FF14 MAYBE coming to the Switch, I hope we get a healthy amount of online action games.

Something like Vindictus but not a colossal grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If it's running like that in handheld mode at sub-720p and better in dock it's more likely the GPU just isn't there, clockrate wise.. Chock it up to probably an engine that couldn't go that low on the specs. Set your expectations accordingly: we're going to see a LOT of these.

If people bring up BOTW that game probably had the best engineers working on that thing to look really good and the hardware team to dial that fucker in.

• Locked thread