Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

She took out the AFLWPA (I think?) MVP award yesterday, and she'd be odds on to take the league B&F tonight as well

In other AFLW news, ITKs are saying that the W clubs get to make a list of 20 of their current players who will be off limits to poaching for next season, and the rest can either be traded, or become free agents, though I guess you get to retain them if no one else wants them as well, or indeed if they just reject other offers in order to stay. The AFL is apparently keen to keep list continuity for as long as possible to build the fanbase, they don't want the 20 best players in the league all on base contracts at Collingwood combined with huge media contracts at channel 9 after just one season.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
It seems different when it's the men because we are bigger, stronger and faster. So the men will be better prepared to look after the kid if something went wrong on the field. Besides feeding, women aren't really suited to looking after kids.

Please tell me the above wasn't part of Gary's argument because it's literally the argument I've seen on some social media.

e: behind paywall, but it seems that there's at least an article on the HUN written by Susie O'Brien calling Garry out on his hypocritical comments given he brought kids onto the ground himself. Wouldn't have expected that from the paper. Expected to hear from Rita Panahi about how Erin Phillips is a leftist feminazi and anyone who says otherwise is wrong because incase you haven't noticed, Rita is a woman too so she is allowed to say it.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 28, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Someone said earlier that it is SEN's job to create controversy/bring up stupid "talking points" to get the sports talkback bogans all riled up. Kids on the field is just the latest example this week. There'll be more.

It's a lot harder for them now too, they can't just dig up some random take on DRUUUGSSS to get the mouthbreathers calling in thick and fast

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gay picnic defence posted:

It's a lot harder for them now too, they can't just dig up some random take on DRUUUGSSS to get the mouthbreathers calling in thick and fast

What do you mean? If they want to shout "DRUGS!!!", all they have to do is whisper "West Coast in the 90s", and they a thousand calls demanding that teh Eagles be stripped of all premierships ever because some of them like to party-hearty, followed by a further thousand saying that it's all an over-reaction and boys will be bopys back in the day players liked a drink, It's no different.

... and so it goes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What do you mean? If they want to shout "DRUGS!!!", all they have to do is whisper "West Coast in the 90s", and they a thousand calls demanding that teh Eagles be stripped of all premierships ever because some of them like to party-hearty, followed by a further thousand saying that it's all an over-reaction and boys will be bopys back in the day players liked a drink, It's no different.

... and so it goes.

sure, but I doubt they'd get away with doing it twice a day like they could during the last 4 years

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The W awards are on now fyi
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-28/the-w-awards-watch-it-live-from-630pm-aedt
Phillips won GotY
Vescio won MotY

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

2017 Virgin Australia AFL Women's All Australian team

Defenders: Nicola Stevens (Collingwood), Courtney Cramey (Adelaide), Chelsea Randall (Adelaide), Brianna Davey (Carlton), Karen Paxman (Melbourne)

Midfield: Elise O'Dea (Melbourne), Daisy Pearce (Melbourne), Emma Kearney (Western Bulldogs), Emma King (Collingwood), Kara Donnellan (Fremantle), Emily Bates (Brisbane Lions)

Forwards: Erin Phillips (Adelaide), Sabrina Frederick-Traub (Brisbane Lions), Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs), Sarah Perkins (Adelaide), Darcy Vescio (Carlton)

Interchange: Jessica Dal Pos (Greater Western Sydney), Kate McCarthy (Brisbane Lions), Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide), Tayla Harris (Brisbane Lions), Melissa Hickey (Melbourne), Sam Virgo (Brisbane Lions)

5 Crows
5 Lions
4 Demons
2 Magpies
2 Bulldogs
2 Blues
1 Giant
1 Docker

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 28, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Harris was robbed for mark of the year

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I can't believe that Dyson Heppell's goal beat Gresham's for the goal of the year nomination this week.

Grsham (28s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIa1yYlAgc&t=28s

Heppell (30s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYEk7QZgU4k&t=30s

Cockatoo probably would have won the weeks votes anyway but there's no way Heppell's goal is better than Gresham's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

McGovern's dribbler wasn't nominated either :shrug: Heppell's was no better than one Richard Douglas did from the opposite pocket.

Comeback story for persecuted Australian Cultural Ambassador Dyson Heppell though

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 28, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I thought Fantasia's drop kick was better than that Heppell goal, although both of them would be just making up the numbers because Cockatoo's should win it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

2nd game in round 1, Gil's already playing the E... Marinoff/Phillips game

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
AFL are even taking down highlight videos from YouTube now, one guy uploads compilations of each Melbourne goal and it was taken down within a day :thumbsup:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

THE MARINATOR

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Wait... round 5 and Brianna Davey is on TWO VOTES? Jesus gently caress worse than the Charlie somehow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phillips 3 votes up with definite votes to come in the final round

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I wish the Brownlow went this quickly, though this is a little more cringey and bug filled than the Brownlow, host seems out of her depth

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 28, 2017

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

Wait... round 5 and Brianna Davey is on TWO VOTES? Jesus gently caress worse than the Charlie somehow.

5 votes for Davey by end of the season. Royal Commission now.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

AFL are even taking down highlight videos from YouTube now, one guy uploads compilations of each Melbourne goal and it was taken down within a day :thumbsup:

good thing their replay system with the live pass works so well

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

good thing their replay system with the live pass works so well

And they removed the free Smart Replay system completely

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

5 votes for Davey by end of the season. Royal Commission now.

:agreed:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hooray for Phillips and The Marinator though :toot:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Gary complained about kids being brought on the ground before the game not after.
Has complained about it previously when blokes have brought their young kids on the ground to run through the banners too.

The comment got legs because SEN posted the pic of Erin holding her kids in the cup after the game and everyone assumed that's what he was referring to.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I mean I agree, less kids at the footy is always a good thing. But I'd be happier starting with reducing the ones in the crowd

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They should sacrifice a players firstborn in the center square before the opening siren every game to give tribute to the chaosball gods.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Bounce the baby

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

gently caress. There goes the premiership and the best & fairest.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-02-21/aflw-blues-lose-key-defensive-duo

Chairchucker posted:

Erin Phillips and Adelaide were always going to get those. :colbert:

Chairchucker posted:

On the one hand I really want Crows to win and then win the Grand Final and for Erin Phillips to win the MVP and the finals MVP, but on the other hand it would kinda feel right for one of the Demons or Bulldogs to be in the first Grand Final.

:smugdog:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

they're going to go full bcci soon aren't they?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
weird childfree posting going on

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gay picnic defence posted:

they're going to go full bcci soon aren't they?

Well they already tried the "wall of steel" around the MCG as a way to discourage terrorists paying customers to come to the games, which is a very BCCI move

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Well they already tried the "wall of steel" around the MCG as a way to discourage terrorists paying customers to come to the games, which is a very BCCI move

This was the MCC, was done in cricket season and removed before the footy started.

Come on dudes, I like this forum because it used to be the smartest footy discussion I could find online.
Stop loving reading the headlines and start being informed before you comment.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

pkid posted:

Come on dudes, I like this forum because it used to be the smartest footy discussion I could find online.

Its cos I'm not posting enough

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

pkid posted:

Gary complained about kids being brought on the ground before the game not after.
Has complained about it previously when blokes have brought their young kids on the ground to run through the banners too.

Why though? Is he worried they're gonna get stuck in the banner or something?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why though? Is he worried they're gonna get stuck in the banner or something?

That is part of it. Also, there is a bunch of blokes (or women) running around who are all amped up, kicking footys. There are ground staff, cheer squad.
Basically it's a situation with a lot of controlled chaos, which is fine for a 90kg dude but not so much for a <1 year old baby.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Getting into or out of the ground and sitting in the stands during a game is probably a more dangerous situation for a child than running through the banner.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Getting into or out of the ground and sitting in the stands during a game is probably a more dangerous situation for a child than running through the banner.

Also being in a car, leaving the house, sleeping.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Oh good, the Saints will be without Armitage and Roo when they travel to Perth to play West Coast this week. What could possibly go wrong?

*Has flashbacks to the 9 goals the Eagles kicked in the first quarter last year*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19013312/footy-forensics-statistics-prove-crunch-already-2017-afl-season

Crunchy stats

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I think the quote to take away from that is "The Demons currently have a better chance of making the finals than Hawthorn, according to our Elo-based simulations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

I think the quote to take away from that is "The Demons currently have a better chance of making the finals than Hawthorn, according to our Elo-based simulations."

Jordan Lewis to retire a 7 time premiership player imo

• Locked thread