Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a good trailer and they didn't spoil anything. Oh no, Vulture is a bad guy and Spidey will have to rely on his own skills to defeat him! What a twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember how much people bitched about the Airport Tarmac fight in CW based on the trailers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And then it was bad, yes.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Codependent Poster posted:

That was a good trailer and they didn't spoil anything. Oh no, Vulture is a bad guy and Spidey will have to rely on his own skills to defeat him! What a twist!

Yeah I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. How are you getting anything about this movie from the trailer other than, at most, the very high-level character arc that Spiderman might go through (i.e., learning to actually be a hero)?

parallelodad posted:

Wow look at this hot take.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

parallelodad posted:

Nah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Hmmmm

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Guys, what if a good thing... is actually bad? :smug:

Think about it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah it looks great and I'm very excited to see the film. Honestly, spoiling the concept of some of the set pieces isn't particularly bad, it's the full sequence that's going to be impressive and I don't mind getting those teases.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

Remember how much people bitched about the Airport Tarmac fight in CW based on the trailers

I personally only bitched about how terrible it looked. It's a great concept to have heroes come to blows with one another over differing ideologies, but as far as epic action setpieces go, the airport fight was really bland in visual aesthetic and choreography. The dialogue during that sequence wasn't all that hot either imo. To me it feels more like that whole setpiece relies more on your own investment in the MCU films and gimmicky interactions between characters you know from those movies than actual interesting filmmaking to keep you entertained.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked that trailer a good deal.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like that there seemed to be a lot of stuff with Spider-Man using web physics to help people / prevent massive damage / fight etc. Someone remembered that he's supposed to be smart too, cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teagone posted:

I personally only bitched about how terrible it looked. It's a great concept to have heroes come to blows with one another over differing ideologies, but as far as epic action setpieces go, the airport fight was really bland in visual aesthetic and choreography. The dialogue during that sequence wasn't all that hot either imo. To me it feels more like that whole setpiece relies more on your own investment in the MCU films and gimmicky interactions between characters you know from those movies than actual interesting filmmaking to keep you entertained.

Get ready for BSS: Civil War!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

zoux posted:

Get ready for BSS: Civil War!

Can I call dibs on the Martin Freeman role?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's the "give back the suit" bit that has people crying spoilers. That feels like an end-of-act-2 low point for the protagonist. If RDJ is really only in the beginning of the movie, though, that's wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

They should go a bit meta with the MCU come 2018 or whenever by having Tony quit superheroing to become CEO of Disney after Bob Iger quits, then from 2020 onwards you have Bob Iger playing himself as President of the United States in all the subsequent MCU movies and, if Tony ever appears it's exclusively as the boss of Disney.

Someone's (insanely) way ahead of you pal: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/will-disneys-bob-iger-run-president-2020-hollywood-friends-are-nudging-981626

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Imagine 10-15 years ago telling anyone that one day a Spiderman movie would be leaning desperately on Iron Man.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wait, so now we don't want Spider-man in the MCU?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/846826395443572737

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, so now we don't want Spider-man in the MCU?

I think it's the opposite and the reason why people are so down on Homecoming is that they would rather Spidey be fully absorbed into Disney instead of being remotely associated with Sony.

Still, it seems really nitpicky to say Sony is digging its own grave for stuff like "they said the word Youtube".

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

mycot posted:

Still, it seems really nitpicky to say Sony is digging its own grave for stuff like "they said the word Youtube".

No one said that. The YouTube crack was a callback to the leaked Sony emails from a couple years ago, which you'll find summarised a couple pages back.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
when I wanted spider man in the MCU I wanted the Raimi universe spider man and his supporting cast not baby peter parker who looks up to tony stark and just slapping classic spider man supporting cast names onto minority actors for some weird reason. Even if they wanted to go with a new Peter why didn't they just 100% adapt Ultimate Spider Man with Nick Fury as his mentor it would have been way better. This spider man is essentially Miles Morales but he's white instead of mixed race.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 28, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whew. It's a good thing nobody cares then. We dodged a bullet there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

haitfais posted:

No one said that. The YouTube crack was a callback to the leaked Sony emails from a couple years ago, which you'll find summarised a couple pages back.

I know. It's just dumb to put that equal to "have Peter Parker be really into veganism".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That Spiderman trailer didn't do much for me to be honest, although I did like the "if you're nothing without the suit then you need to work on that" line or whatever it was that Stark delivered. Keaton vulture looks pretty cool. The whole thing looks fine, really and there's not much I can point out that's wrong with it so maybe I'm getting superhero/comic book movie fatigue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, I know. :thejoke:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Man there are a few shots where Holland looks almost exactly like Tobey Maguire from his first Spider-Man film

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That trailer is pretty good and Michael Keaton loving slays every role he takes.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
WB should cast Keaton as Hawkman

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Holland did such a good job with his minor role in Civil War that I'm actually excited about a Spider-man movie again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mr President posted:

Maybe Keaton is actually Batman in disguise and homecoming is actually a DC Universe movie!

That's interesting actually; does this make Keaton the super hero actor with the most longevity? I don't mean career in general, just appearances in super hero movies

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

That's interesting actually; does this make Keaton the super hero actor with the most longevity? I don't mean career in general, just appearances in super hero movies

For now, it just depends on how long Chris Evans sticks around.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I had a dream about a movie where Rocket & Groot came to Earth during the 50's/60's and teamed up with Agent Carter and now I want that to be a real movie. Who do I talk to about this please?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JT Smiley posted:

Holland did such a good job with his minor role in Civil War that I'm actually excited about a Spider-man movie again.
Same....I had no interest in the ASM movies

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeez glad to see this thread is still an abyss of nerd slap fighting and condescending sniping. I like BSS, I like most of the people here, seriously, what is it about the movie thread that brings out the worst in this forum?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

Jeez glad to see this thread is still an abyss of nerd slap fighting and condescending sniping. I like BSS, I like most of the people here, seriously, what is it about the movie thread that brings out the worst in this forum?

I like to fart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So big idiot Amy Pascal said at Cinemacon that after the Homecoming sequel that's already planned, they might not continue the MCU partnership.

She doesn't actually work for Sony anymore though so she might just be talking out of her rear end.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

So big idiot Amy Pascal said at Cinemacon that after the Homecoming sequel that's already planned, they might not continue the MCU partnership.

She doesn't actually work for Sony anymore though so she might just be talking out of her rear end.

Sony picked her to produce the Spider-Man movies for them and to oversee Marvel.

She's not an executive there anymore, but she probably does know where the company is going with the rights in the long run.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's not an executive there anymore, but she probably does know where the company is going with the rights in the long run.

To the toilet it sounds like!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chickenwalker posted:

To the toilet it sounds like!

Sony has already said that they are going to resurrect the studio by making The Emoji Movie an annual franchise and I don't have enough faith in America to be sure that they're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

purple death ray posted:

something to distract the thread from the usual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wHXJR2-K8

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread