Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm working my way through a general cookbook (Betty Crocker 2007) and I'll need to pick up some stuff to complete all the recipes. Off the top of my head, I know I need to get a popover pan.

Does the thread have opinions on brands or materials? I was just going to go with whatever is cheapest on Amazon.ca, but from the recipe I think I'll like making popovers for breakfast and I can happily pay a few more dollars for something noticeably better in quality.

EDIT: keeping on the breakfast theme, a wafflemaker is in my future. I was just going to get something from a thrift shop, but I'm open to suggestions here, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can make popovers in a regular muffin pan just fine. I would at least try it a few times before buying a popover pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I'm working my way through a general cookbook (Betty Crocker 2007) and I'll need to pick up some stuff to complete all the recipes. Off the top of my head, I know I need to get a popover pan.

Does the thread have opinions on brands or materials? I was just going to go with whatever is cheapest on Amazon.ca, but from the recipe I think I'll like making popovers for breakfast and I can happily pay a few more dollars for something noticeably better in quality.

EDIT: keeping on the breakfast theme, a wafflemaker is in my future. I was just going to get something from a thrift shop, but I'm open to suggestions here, too.

I don't know about what type of pan you need, but one thing that I've had drilled into my head thanks to an episode of The Splendid Table is that the pan must be preheated in the oven before pouring in the batter, or otherwise they won't rise properly.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

I don't know about what type of pan you need, but one thing that I've had drilled into my head thanks to an episode of The Splendid Table is that the pan must be preheated in the oven before pouring in the batter, or otherwise they won't rise properly.

Quoted for truth. Also from what I've read a muffin tin is ideal for popovers as there is more room for them to rise above the lip and then slump which is a good thing in popovers or a I've been told.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
THIS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UEA0CM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

OR THIS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZFXOQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3E34Q6Q96491P

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

First ones probably more durable/easily stashable. Second one looks like it'd be broken in a week or less.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
5 qt KA Artisan, or 5 qt KA pro?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pro, always Pro. Artisans will not last because tilt head is an awful design.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pro, always Pro. Artisans will not last because tilt head is an awful design.

My tilt head is 36 years old and runs like a fuckin Honda. Granted it has a Hobart motor but that doesn't have anything to do with the bowl access mechanism.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don't know a single person who's artisan mixer has failed. Mine is 10 years old now and I think my mom's is going on close to 20. My only complaint is that the tilt pin can start to work its way out if you're kneading dough for like 10 minutes. That being said, it's never moved very far and it's easily pushed back in.

I do wish I had the pro, but that's more because if I'm making a double batch of things, it can get pretty close to overflowing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a tilty mixer that's working fine but please don't compare them to Hondas because the last one I had needed to have its transmission replaced twice

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

If you're mixing dough regularly, I recommend you go with a DC motor.

The 6000 HD has more torque, will last longer, and is noticeably quieter than the 5qt Artisan.

https://mixitbakeit.com/kitchenaid-professional-6000-hd-review

https://mixitbakeit.com/compare-kitchen-aid-stand-mixers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need to get some various seives. Are there any cheaper removable screens like http://korin.com/TK-610-02-20 I may be blind, but on amazon the screen and frame almost always seem to be combined and I don't want four large seives if I can get away with the volume of one.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I want to start making homemade sparkling water instead of buying so many drat bottles of it. What should I buy?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

fyallm posted:

I want to start making homemade sparkling water instead of buying so many drat bottles of it. What should I buy?

How much you want to spend?

Soda stream is the easy option.

Longterm cheap option would be to buy a Carbonator Cap that fits on 2L bottles ($15), a pressure regulator($45) and a CO2 Tank (prob $80 upfront). This would be able to carbonate hundreds of gallons and refilling the CO2 tank is fairly cheap, maybe around $30 or so.

Extreme $$ option would be building a Keezer, kegs, taps, CO2 regulator, CO2 Tank and dispense like beer. It would probably cost nearly $500 to get up and running.

Probably other good options out there, but those are my ideas as a homebrewer who kegs.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I started with the carbonator cap rig and then moved to a small cannonball keg that fits in the back of our fridge. It has a little picnic tap on it. It holds about 2 gallons which means we refill it about twice per week. It's better than having to do the plastic bottles daily, and avoids the problem of half-empty bottles going flat.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have an 8 tap kegerator and always keep one serving seltzer. Without a separate regulator I have to keep it at beer temps/pressure so it's never as cold or gassy as I want it. I primarily drink cans from the grocery store, they are about 25¢ each and are very carbonated.

Some day I want to put in an actual seltzer faucet but I have well water and my RO wouldn't really have enough pressure to feed a carbonator through cold plates. Plus I'm not willing to give up the cabinet space for an ice machine right now, so I'm sticking to the cans.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I have been pleased with the cannonball keg, the one I got is about the size of a gallon of milk and drat does that sucker get COLD. I carbonate at about 40psi because that is going to have to last (not hooked up for serving pressure) until it gets refilled with water. That might make a good compromise for you if you have the space in your regular fridge.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have a soda stream and I hate it, is there a better off-the-shelf thing I can buy that takes normal CO2 tanks doesn't look like I'm making a bomb in my kitchen? Like I want limitless fizzy water but I'm far too lazy to build an attractive housing for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You could get the paintball co2 adapter for sodastream: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/sodamod/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You could get the paintball co2 adapter for sodastream: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/sodamod/

I looked at that, but that I'm still locked into the soda stream bottle ecosystem. I would love to be able to just fizz whatever container I want with a standard soda bottle cap. I mean ideally I would just have a fizzy water tap sticking out of the middle of my countertop, but I don't think that's terribly realistic for my current living situation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://www.instructables.com/id/Re-charge-your-Flat-2-Liter-Sodas/?ALLSTEPS

There are other methods I'm sure. You could probably just charge a keg of water, but be sure it's sterile!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

bongwizzard posted:

I have a soda stream and I hate it, is there a better off-the-shelf thing I can buy that takes normal CO2 tanks doesn't look like I'm making a bomb in my kitchen? Like I want limitless fizzy water but I'm far too lazy to build an attractive housing for it.

Why do you hate the soda stream? I was About to buy one

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

Why do you hate the soda stream? I was About to buy one

The charger bottles don't seem to last very long at all with two people drinking from them daily, the only place convenient to me I can exchange them as a small hardware store that will, maybe every fifth time, be out of stock of new ones. I also really don't like their bottles, the fill line is pretty low and it seems like they lose pressure very quickly, it seems like I can't fizz up some water, put in the fridge to cool, come back to it three hours later to full strength fizz. It also makes an obnoxious farting noise as it fills up that my dog has never gotten used to, so trying to fix up some water late at night means I have a suddenly awake and alert hound to contend with.

I realize a lot of these problems are pretty specific to my situation, but I would say that of the five or six friends who also bought them, maybe one is still a regular user of it. Before you buy one ask around your circle of acquaintances a little bit and I bet you'll find someone who hasn't taken their's out of the drawer in a year or so.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

FWIW we have our CO2 tank and regulator in a cabinet under the kitchen counter. It doesn't take up that much space and it stays out of sight all the time. When we carbonate stuff we open the cabinet door to open the valve and get the tubing out but the canister itself just stays put.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, sorry but if you want cheap-as-water co2 either you go with a modded sodastream or you go with an ugly stepchild that you hide under the cabinet. Myself, I put mine in a white box on a pantry shelf with only the dispenser hose and valve sticking out.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 26, 2017

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I use this.

http://www.fizzgiz.com/

The downside is it takes the smaller cartridges. But it works.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="470724699"]

Is that a hard g or soft g? Because if it's the latter: ewwww

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

"[ts posted:

I use this.

I use this too, but I use the additional Soda Rope adapter which lets me use CO2 tanks. It's cheaper than other carbonators, but you're limited to 45 pounds pressure only

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 26, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that a hard g or soft g? Because if it's the latter: ewwww

I can't not read it with a soft g.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

"[ts posted:

I use this.

The Geocities-quality website matches the quality of the name :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

They're $80 on Amazon

But IC technology is getting so mainstream that it probably uses Anova innards, so yeah, probably a good buy. poo poo, even commercial circulators can be got for $2-300 these days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not really a recommendation but here's a a blog post on how mauviel cookware is made:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/visit-mauviel-french-copper-cookware-factory/

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They're $80 on Amazon

But IC technology is getting so mainstream that it probably uses Anova innards, so yeah, probably a good buy. poo poo, even commercial circulators can be got for $2-300 these days.

Set water heater to 130F. Put steak in ziplock, squeeze out air. Fill sink. Put ziplocked steak in sink. Monitor water temp and refresh when below 125. ?

No idea what the problem with that would be but seems like it should work.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Murgos posted:

Set water heater to 130F. Put steak in ziplock, squeeze out air. Fill sink. Put ziplocked steak in sink. Monitor water temp and refresh when below 125. ?

No idea what the problem with that would be but seems like it should work.

It does work, although a cooler is more normal for that sort of thing. I did salmon in my sink a few times.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Pasta rollers - is it worth doing the kitchenaid attachment, or should I just get a standalone manual crank one? I mostly just want to make more ravioli.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

dakana posted:

Pasta rollers - is it worth doing the kitchenaid attachment, or should I just get a standalone manual crank one? I mostly just want to make more ravioli.

FWIW my in-laws have a big get together each year to make hundreds of ravioli and it's always a competition to get to the one KitchenAid attachment we have. Everyone else uses the hand rollers accumulated over the years and from my experience they get the job done if your goal is to just bang out a couple dozen. The KitchenAid attachment makes it a drat breeze by comparison.

The main advantage from my experience is that it's way easier to get a consistent strip rolled out with the steady, constant rolling speed, even setting aside the manual labor saved. Way easier to use solo too. Nothing but good experiences with it in the 5 years I've been party to it's use. I'm thinking about getting one myself for home use, since I already have the mixer. I think it's totally worth it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 29, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

dakana posted:

want one of these something terrible, but drat if I'm going to spend over $100 on some danggummed attachment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If you get just the roller without the cutters, it's about half the price.