Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Impermanent posted:

What's the preferred storage solution for battlecon, devastation of indines? Preferably a solution that involves little to no printing.

Do you wanna keep it in the box or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Impermanent posted:

What's the preferred storage solution for battlecon, devastation of indines? Preferably a solution that involves little to no printing.

I've been pleasantly impressed in using 9 slot side load binder pages. Keep the character folders in a longbox. Makes starting games a lot easier with friends, since they can page through the lot and see each character.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Ahhh, the age old question. This is my current solution, but it is far from fantastic, you can see there is a lot of wasted space. I planned to add labels at some point, but got lazy. Boxes are UltraPro.

The rulebooks and boards make it a pretty loose lid.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I also use those boxes, they're perfect for the job.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Impermanent posted:

The preferred storage solution:

1- Don't buy the whole game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

S.J. posted:

Do you wanna keep it in the box or not?

I'd prefer to keep it in the box unless there's a muuuch cheaper non-box solution.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If you're not attached to sleeving the game, The Ultrapro boxes are a decent solution. I have a ton of them that I could send you for the price of shipping if you live in the US

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

If you're not attached to sleeving the game, The Ultrapro boxes are a decent solution. I have a ton of them that I could send you for the price of shipping if you live in the US

Sounds good to me, thank you so much! PM'd.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I watched a twitch stream of Brad playing Exceed against someone and after 20 minutes of virtually nothing happening I am none the wiser about how good this game I've backed might actually be. I like streamers who remember they have viewers...

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
The big problem is that if you want to use Strikers at all, or Force Gauge with Devestation characters, you pretty much have to sleeve, thanks to a printing error making the Style backs a very obviously different shade of red.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PubicMice posted:

The big problem is that if you want to use Strikers at all, or Force Gauge with Devestation characters, you pretty much have to sleeve, thanks to a printing error making the Style backs a very obviously different shade of red.

Only jerks would look at opponent's pairs knowing that knowledge. Don't play with these jerks.

I'm also red/green colorblind so I can't tell as quickly I guess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In pixel tactics, I saw a card that said something like "they take 2 less damage from Attacks (min. 1)."

What does that mean exactly? That you take 2 less damage but will always take at minimum 1 damage, or that you will take 2 less damage from an attack or at least 1 less in the case that an attack only does 1 damage, or what?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

From Brad on Trials email, might wanna hold off on investing in a storage solution.

quote:

Big Box

After carefully considering all the comments surrounding the big storage box for BattleCON, we have decided to think about a different solution for that project. I don't believe that the box would be practical for fans of the series, as it is too massive for most shelves and for travel. Also, when fully loaded, I fear it would be too heavy for its own construction and would be likely to break down.

Currently, I believe the best solution that suits everyone's wishes is to offer the tuckboxes for each individual fighter as a printable download. This way, those who want advanced storage can easily sort their fighters. I'll work on getting these together in the next few weeks and offering them to you soon. For those who want a strong outer box, we will be working with our wooden box suppliers to make something that holds and presents all the fighter tuckboxes in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

In pixel tactics, I saw a card that said something like "they take 2 less damage from Attacks (min. 1)."

What does that mean exactly? That you take 2 less damage but will always take at minimum 1 damage, or that you will take 2 less damage from an attack or at least 1 less in the case that an attack only does 1 damage, or what?

The first one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also, just bear in mind that it says "Attacks", so it won't apply to, say, a number of Orders or other sources of damage that aren't Attacks.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

djfooboo posted:

From Brad on Trials email, might wanna hold off on investing in a storage solution.

If anything I take that as a sign to definitely invest in a storage solution. Tuck boxes already exist for characters, just not official tuck boxes. Even if you print off the official tuckboxes, you have to buy the cardstock and glue, print them out, score them, and assemble them for ~70 fighters. That is a significant amount of work.

I'm also laughing at the fact that his community wanted a comprehensive storage solution, and his response was to throw his hands in the air and suggest an outside vendor. HE still hasn't addressed the storage aspect of his game, just the organization.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 29, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't even mind tuckboxes...if they weren't PnP. Level99 could print them and ship them out flat, and all you'd have to do is fold them together and tape/glue the bottom.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, the reason I quit sorting Devastation was because I had to cut out and glue the custom boxes together. Why would I want to keep doing that?

I might just end up doing this to save myself.

signalnoise posted:

The preferred storage solution:

1- Don't buy the whole game

Fixed

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm already in too deep. Also I'm going in with a buddy on the full Season 2 Exceed set because I need playmats in my life.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't even mind tuckboxes...if they weren't PnP. Level99 could print them and ship them out flat, and all you'd have to do is fold them together and tape/glue the bottom.

This would be amazing. I know MtG has flat tuckboxes where you don't even need glue.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would absolutely buy a full range of tuckboxes for this game, and it shouldn't be that expensive, except that there are fuckloads of characters and the initial cost to manufacture enough to sell would be ridiculous.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanna hear more about empyreal!!!

The kickstarter for that is coming in summer, yeah?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BTW if anyone in the US would want to buy a nearly complete collection of Battlecon plus a couple playmats, I'll go and find all the poo poo I have and sell it to you. I threw away a lot of the packaging though, and I don't have all the PvE stuff, it's really just a head to head 2 player collection.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
For those also bothered by the burden of up-front knowledge Exceed presents, I have recently finished a set of printable reference sheets for all 16 Season 1 characters.

They can be found here on BGG.

The Normal and Special attacks are sorted by speed. Ultras are sorted by Gauge cost, then by speed. I'm at a point after ~13 games where I don't really need to look at the Normals reference anymore. But the character references for are invaluable for seeing how an opponent can (or can't) punish a move of yours thrown out at any given speed. Especially good for learning/playing against a new character.

Some previews:

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 5, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I remember there being really nice full color pages showcasing each character's moveset for BattleCon but I can't find them in the OP. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
You're probably thinking of this Reference Sheet Project made by a Goon.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 5, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
For future ref, it's in the link at the bottom of the OP: "Goon-Made PBP Tools."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

For future ref, it's in the link at the bottom of the OP: "Goon-Made PBP Tools."

Thanks chief, my apologies. Didn't link PBP tools in my mind.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
To anyone with Millennium Blades and Set Rotation, is it ok to add the extra set cards from the expansion to the base game right away, or is it better to hold off for a few games?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

To anyone with Millennium Blades and Set Rotation, is it ok to add the extra set cards from the expansion to the base game right away, or is it better to hold off for a few games?

Well, you can always just use all base game sets, so you're really asking if you can add in the core cards. To which the answer is yes. As for the expansion sets, the answer is still yes. Millennium Blades is hard enough to learn that the small extra complexity introduced by a small fraction of the expansion cards won't even get noticed.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Trasson posted:

Well, you can always just use all base game sets, so you're really asking if you can add in the core cards. To which the answer is yes. As for the expansion sets, the answer is still yes. Millennium Blades is hard enough to learn that the small extra complexity introduced by a small fraction of the expansion cards won't even get noticed.

Yeah, the new core/base expansion cards are what I was thinking about. I'm still sleeving the game, so I guess I'll put them all together when I'm done with that then, thanks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of sleeving, I am still disappointed that it looks like they are going to do a unique back for all the characters of the second Exceed season. That means my current way of storing them won't work since I was relying on only needed 4 sets of core cards per season without sleeving.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LordAba posted:

Speaking of sleeving, I am still disappointed that it looks like they are going to do a unique back for all the characters of the second Exceed season. That means my current way of storing them won't work since I was relying on only needed 4 sets of core cards per season without sleeving.
Yeah, it's a bit odd to include sooooo many base cards when it would be better to just pair unique characters with a generic set of cards each time. It would save space and redundant cardstock.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Exceed looks like one of those fun games that I'd never find anyone to play in person with. (I haven't seen a L99 product in my local game store like ever.) Still hoping the digital battlecon comes out earlier rather than later for that exact reason.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Douche Phoenix posted:

Exceed looks like one of those fun games that I'd never find anyone to play in person with. (I haven't seen a L99 product in my local game store like ever.) Still hoping the digital battlecon comes out earlier rather than later for that exact reason.
I have a feeling that Battlecon Online will never come out and it was a bit of a wasted pledge.
Heck, they had to throw out their old work and start mocking up a new engine and they still have the game in 4:3? Is this game getting released in 1999?

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

I have a feeling that Battlecon Online will never come out and it was a bit of a wasted pledge.
Heck, they had to throw out their old work and start mocking up a new engine and they still have the game in 4:3? Is this game getting released in 1999?

I only went in for :10bux: so it's not like I'm disappointed in the 4:3, I just want to be able to play it without going all in on a physical copy of devastation.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Douche Phoenix posted:

I only went in for :10bux: so it's not like I'm disappointed in the 4:3, I just want to be able to play it without going all in on a physical copy of devastation.

Pick your poison.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=714636740

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307075212

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=749960403

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it's a bit odd to include sooooo many base cards when it would be better to just pair unique characters with a generic set of cards each time. It would save space and redundant cardstock.

They announced they aren't doing the unique backs now, and instead are including reference cards. Yay!

Yeah, after seeing some of the Exceed battles using the Tabletop sim it looks like Battlecon would just as well in it. I might try to get some games in since they announced the new seasons for battlecon/pixel tactics/exceed. I kind of want the alternative Heidi card since that is the one character I am actually not as crap with in Exceed.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not sure about the status of Battlecon Online, but I do have some insider info that Battlecon will have an official TTS implementation in the future. The most widely used mod will at some point be delisted, if it is not already delisted, and one of the people behind the official implementation of the Vast mod will make the official mod out of it. I'm not sure if it will be paid or not, but it is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They already have official mods for Exceed and Pixel Tactics listed now too